OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:08 pm A discussion about respect and consideration for parents and family of players here has taken
one helluva twist (not at all unusual).
Just indulging a hobby of mine to match up subjects with fitting bits of dialog from the silver screen.

:07 clip
OuttaNowhereWregget

Speaking of which...

I crack myself up sometimes--I can't help it. I posted this after BC's dominant win over the Ain'tNoDog's in the NCAA quarterfinals back in May.

BC fans will appreciate it.
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:15 am Boston College to all the pundits who picked against them...

(clip lasts for 11 seconds)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Best Player of 2022

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:13 am "For the larger-than-life women’s star who stood above them all in 2022."

There is no contest here. The Great One was head and shoulders above the competition. Her athleticism and goal scoring prowess combined with her contribution in the draw circle and dishing to her teammates was second to none. She fought through a season where she was every opponent's focus, on a team with a bullseye on its back since winning the national title--struggling with injuries as the season wore on--she fought to the end, managing 92 goals, 23 assists and 139 draw controls. There was no real consideration for the Tewaaraton award as Charlotte took the trophy back-to-back. In the history of the women's game, Charlotte North was unique. The electricity and buzz she brought to the sport is undeniable. She will one day be inducted into the Women's Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Sure as I'm sitting here. I will miss her greatly.

It occurs to me that the defender who gets scorched here is none other a personage than senior defender Katie Detwiler--near the top of the pops when it comes to elite defenders. Then again--The Great One made a career of making the elite look average.
hmmm

Re: Coach of the Year 2022

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:18 am For the coach who had the most impressive season in 2022

Hands down this belongs to Tim McCormack—the then coach of Arizona State. Not any OOC cupcakes on the schedule he chose for his Golden Tridents in 2022. Michigan, NU, San Diego State, Florida, Stony Brook and Rutgers and ended the season 11-8. Unjustly deprived of an At Large bid to The Dance unfortunately, but that’s what happens sometimes when Those Who Decide rely too heavily on stupid math formulas and disregard what their eyeballs see. But you and I, we’ve been through that, as ol’ Elston Gunnn once said. So now McCormack’s on to Johns Hopkins to replace legendary Janine Tucker. Really interested to see what their schedule looks like when it finally drops. Good luck to Hop and their new coach. May they finally step on the turtle for the first time in program history during his tenure.

OOC Hop is playing:
Loyola
JMU
Stony Brook
Penn
Georgetown
Drexel
Mt. St. Mary's
Monmouth
Towson
Albany
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:42 am
OOC Hop is playing:
Loyola
JMU
Stony Brook
Penn
Georgetown
Drexel
Mt. St. Mary's
Monmouth
Towson
Albany
Very cool--thanks much. Already looking forward to Stony Brook, JMU, Loyola and Georgetown. Pretty nice matchups. How do you think they'll do this year?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:24 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:13 am "For the larger-than-life women’s star who stood above them all in 2022."

There is no contest here. The Great One was head and shoulders above the competition. Her athleticism and goal scoring prowess combined with her contribution in the draw circle and dishing to her teammates was second to none. She fought through a season where she was every opponent's focus, on a team with a bullseye on its back since winning the national title--struggling with injuries as the season wore on--she fought to the end, managing 92 goals, 23 assists and 139 draw controls. There was no real consideration for the Tewaaraton award as Charlotte took the trophy back-to-back. In the history of the women's game, Charlotte North was unique. The electricity and buzz she brought to the sport is undeniable. She will one day be inducted into the Women's Lacrosse Hall of Fame. Sure as I'm sitting here. I will miss her greatly.

It occurs to me that the defender who gets scorched here is none other a personage than senior defender Katie Detwiler--near the top of the pops when it comes to elite defenders. Then again--The Great One made a career of making the elite look average.
IIRC there was also a play when KD stopped CN on a similar move. It is very hard to stop top players all the time from that position. No help. So, yes, great example of a crease roll, good shot placement. To be a defender is a tough job as you will not stop them all, much less against a player of that level.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:47 am IIRC there was also a play when KD stopped CN on a similar move. It is very hard to stop top players all the time from that position. No help. So, yes, great example of a crease roll, good shot placement. To be a defender is a tough job as you will not stop them all, much less against a player of that level.
To be fair, I think North fooled defenders only once to try to cover her from behind the net--after which they learned to not follow her back there ever again.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:51 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:47 am IIRC there was also a play when KD stopped CN on a similar move. It is very hard to stop top players all the time from that position. No help. So, yes, great example of a crease roll, good shot placement. To be a defender is a tough job as you will not stop them all, much less against a player of that level.
To be fair, I think North fooled defenders only once to try to cover her from behind the net--after which they learned to not follow her back there ever again.
Well, that isnt my memory, but you probably have access to the video, so I will accept yours as correct. Either way, that video clip shows a great play, but my point was that that defender also played some good defense against CN. Limited her to 4 shots (season average of 7.6).

No disrespect to CN or you from me on this clip. Just defending the defender a bit :P ;-)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:59 am
Well, that isnt my memory, but you probably have access to the video, so I will accept yours as correct. Either way, that video clip shows a great play, but my point was that that defender also played some good defense against CN. Limited her to 4 shots (season average of 7.6).

No disrespect to CN or you from me on this clip. Just defending the defender a bit :P ;-)
I have no reason to doubt you, Doc. And I love #32. She's one of my favorite players for a few reasons. One of my favorite Katie plays later that same game...

user1020

Post by user1020 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:42 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:18 am For the coach who had the most impressive season in 2022

Hands down this belongs to Tim McCormack—the then coach of Arizona State. Not any OOC cupcakes on the schedule he chose for his Golden Tridents in 2022. Michigan, NU, San Diego State, Florida, Stony Brook and Rutgers and ended the season 11-8. Unjustly deprived of an At Large bid to The Dance unfortunately, but that’s what happens sometimes when Those Who Decide rely too heavily on stupid math formulas and disregard what their eyeballs see. But you and I, we’ve been through that, as ol’ Elston Gunnn once said. So now McCormack’s on to Johns Hopkins to replace legendary Janine Tucker. Really interested to see what their schedule looks like when it finally drops. Good luck to Hop and their new coach. May they finally step on the turtle for the first time in program history during his tenure.

OOC Hop is playing:
Loyola
JMU
Stony Brook
Penn
Georgetown
Drexel
Mt. St. Mary's
Monmouth
Towson
Albany
No very easy wins in this schedule. Even the weaker opponents on this schedule are pretty good teams.
OuttaNowhereWregget

user1020 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:41 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:42 am OOC Hop is playing:
Loyola
JMU
Stony Brook
Penn
Georgetown
Drexel
Mt. St. Mary's
Monmouth
Towson
Albany
No very easy wins in this schedule. Even the weaker opponents on this schedule are pretty good teams.
True, true.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:59 am

I have no reason to doubt you, Doc. And I love #32. She's one of my favorite players for a few reasons. One of my favorite Katie plays later that same game...

That was quite the highlight.....The love shown by her teammates for the D score, pretty cool. She is a fantastic young lady with some fun parents. Fierce Philly drive with that one....
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:08 pm That was quite the highlight.....The love shown by her teammates for the D score, pretty cool. She is a fantastic young lady with some fun parents. Fierce Philly drive with that one....
I'm sure they would all be honored by those words, Doc. Hopefully, they happen to see them.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Michigan 2023 schedule

Pretty tough schedule. I count 4 what one might call easy wins. Some rough tough opponents in here--Florida, Stony Brook, Denver, Colorado. Michigan will be hard pressed in 2023. Very few games off. Still love 'em though. Go Blue!

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Okay all you lugs and mugs--yiz dragged her name trew da mud--the least yiz can do is wish her a happy boithday.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Ohio State 2023 schedule

Looking forward to watching a game televised at their brand spanking new facility.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Denver Pioneers 2023 schedule

I'd love to see this team break through and get over the hump into Memorial Day weekend, and even win it all during Liza Kelly's time one of these years.

OuttaNowhereWregget

They Teach Nutrition in Women's Lacrosse, Don't They?

I can't help but wince a little when I see how some of today's athletes eat. One sees it frequently on team social media platforms where the players share what their favorite foods are. Most of the food has leeching nutritional value. By that I mean it is so bad for a body that it actually takes from the body more than it gives. The human body doesn't do well trying to process artificial flavors, colors, additives and preservatives; artificial growth hormones that are fed to much of the livestock and poultry in this country; artificial pesticides and ingredients that get put into the soil. Unless the label in the supermarket reads organic, the government allows all kinds of toxic stuff to be added before (and after) processing--in other words, what gets put into the soil and what gets fed to the animals to make them plumper and juicier. Once it is harvested and processed, then the manufacturers are compelled by the government to list the ingredients, which are an eye opening horrorshow in and of themselves--sugar at the top of the list, which is what these doughnuts are loaded with in addition to all the other artificial sludge that makes a doughnut a doughnut. In any event, I'm sure there are athletes out there who watch what they eat. In the immediate and the long run, they will fare better than their teammates who choose their food and drink indiscriminately.

Cut and pasted below in case anyone is interested:

50 Jawdroppingly Toxic Food Ingredients & Artificial Additives to Avoid

There have been great advances in food preparation in the last century. These days, well over half of the foods that we can buy in a typical supermarket are pre packaged or prepared. They need either no or minimal preparation before being ready to eat. However, there is a dark side to this convenience. Most of the foods on our shelves also contain chemicals and additives that are known to harm either the human body or laboratory animals. If they harm animals, they can harm you too. Most of the ingredients that you should avoid fall into one of three areas: food additives, artificial sweeteners and artificial colors. More and more experts are agreeing that you are wise to try to avoid as many chemicals in your foods as possible. By shopping in mostly the produce, dairy and meat sections of your grocery store, you can avoid many of the harmful food additives listed below. However, all of us need to be on our guard, because some of these ingredients also are used in meats, dairy products and even produce. What does this have to do with Public health? The health of our country is determined by the things we consume. This ultimately adds massive costs to our healthcare system as more and more people experience disease from eating processed foods and additives.

Food Additives to Avoid
While the FDA generally recognizes most additives on this list as ‘safe,’ there are growing concerns about the safety of many common food additives, if consumed in large quantities.

-Sodium nitrate: Added to processed meats to stop bacterial growth. Linked to cancer in humans. (Worst Offender)
-Sulfites: Used to keep prepared foods fresh. Can cause breathing difficulties in those sensitive to the ingredient.
-Azodicarbonamide: Used in bagels and buns. Can cause asthma.
-Potassium bromate: Added to breads to increase volume. Linked to cancer in humans.
-Propyl gallate: Added to fat-containing products. Linked to cancer in humans
-BHA/BHT: A fat preservative, used in foods to extend shelf life. Linked to cancerous tumor growth.
-Propylene glycol: Better known as antifreeze. Thickens dairy products and salad dressing. Deemed ‘generally’ safe by FDA.
-Butane: Put in chicken nuggets to keep them tasting fresh. A known carcinogen.
-Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Flavor enhancer that can cause headaches. Linked in animal studies to nerve damage, heart problems and seizures.
-Disodium inosinate: In snack foods. Contains MSG.
-Disodium guanylate: Also used in snack foods, and contains MSG.
-Enriched flour: Used in many snack foods. A refined starch that is made from toxic ingredients.
-Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH): Geneticially-engineered version of natural growth hormone in cows. Boosts milk production in cows. Contains high levels of IGF-1, which is thought cause various types of cancer.
-Refined vegetable oil: Includes soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola oil, and peanut oil. High in omega-6 fats, which are thought to cause heart disease and cancer.
-Sodium benzoate: Used as a preservative in salad dressing and carbonated beverages. A known carcinogen and may cause damage our DNA.
-Brominated vegetable oil: Keeps flavor oils in soft drinks suspended. Bromate is a poison and can cause organ damage and birth defects. Not required to be listed on food labels.
-Propyl gallate: Found in meats, popcorn, soup mixes and frozen dinners. Shown to cause cancer in rats. Banned in some countries. Deemed safe by FDA.
-Olestra: Fat-like substance that is unabsorbed by the body. Used in place of natural fats in some snack foods. Can cause digestive problems, and also not healthy for the heart.
-Carrageenan: Stabilizer and thickening agent used in many prepared foods. Can cause ulcers and cancer.
-Polysorbate 60: A thickener that is used in baked goods. Can cause cancer in laboratory animals.
-Camauba wax: Used in chewing gums and to glaze certain foods. Can cause cancer and tumors.
-Magnesium sulphate: Used in tofu, and can cause cancer in laboratory animals.
-Chlorine dioxide: Used in bleaching flour. Can cause tumors and hyperactivity in children.
-Paraben: Used to stop mold and yeast forming in foods. Can disrupt hormones in the body, and could be linked to breast cancer.
-Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose: Used as a thickener in salad dressings. Could cause cancer in high quantities.
-Aluminum: A preservative in some packaged foods that can cause cancer.

Artificial Sweeteners to Avoid
Artificial sweeteners are regulated by FDA, just as food additives are, but this does not apply to products ‘generally recognized as safe'.

-Saccharin: Carcinogen found to cause bladder cancer in rats. (Worst Offender)
-Aspartame: An excitotoxin and thought to be a carcinogen. Can cause dizziness, headaches, blurred vision and stomach problems.
-High fructose corn syrup: Sweetener made from corn starch. Made from genetically-modified corn. Causes obesity, diabetes, heart problems, arthritis and insulin resistance.
-Acesulfame potassium: Used with other artificial sweeteners in diet sodas and ice cream. Linked to lung and breast tumors in rats.
-Sucralose: Splenda. Can cause swelling of liver and kidneys and a shrinkage of the thymus gland.
-Agave nectar: Sweetener derived from a cactus. Contains high levels of fructose, which causes insulin resistance, liver disease and inflammation of body tissues.
-Bleached starch: Can be used in many dairy products. Thought to be related to asthma and skin irritations.
-Tert butylhydroquinone: Used to preserve fish products. Could cause stomach tumors at high doses.

Artificial Food Colorings to Avoid
Food colorings are used to give foods a more attractive appearance, but some experts believe they cause serious health problems, including asthma and hyperactivity in children.

-Red #40: Found in many foods to alter color. All modern food dyes are derived from petroleum. A carcinogen that is linked to cancer in some studies. Also can cause hyperactivity in children. Banned in some European countries. (Worst Offender)
-Blue #1: Used in bakery products, candy and soft drinks. Can damage chromosomes and lead to cancer.
-Blue #2: Used in candy and pet food beverages. Can cause brain tumors
-Citrus red #1: Sprayed on oranges to make them look ripe. Can damage chromosomes and lead to cancer.
-Citrus red #2: Used to color oranges. Can cause cancer if you eat the peel.
-Green #3: Used in candy and beverages. May cause bladder tumors.
-Yellow #5: Used in desserts, candy and baked goods.Thought to cause kidney tumors, according to some studies.
-Yellow #6: A carcinogen used in sausage, beverages and baked goods. Thought to cause kidney tumors, according to some studies.
-Red #2: A food coloring that may cause both asthma and cancer.
-Red #3: A carcinogen. that is added to cherry pie filling, ice cream and baked goods. May cause nerve damage and thyroid cancer.
-Caramel coloring: In soft drinks, sauces, pastries and breads. When made with ammonia, it can cause cancer in mice. Food companies not required to disclose if this ingredient is made with ammonia.
-Brown HT: Used in many packaged foods. Can cause hyperactivity in children, asthma and cancer.
-Orange B: A food dye that is used in hot dog and sausage casings. High doses are bad for the liver and bile duct.
-Bixin: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
-Norbixin: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
-Annatto: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.

Conclusion:

Avoid fast foods
Avoid soda and sugary drinks & juice
Eat more fruits, vegetables and grains
Eat hormone free meat
Drink hormone free milk
Know what you’re eating--read the label.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Harvard's 2023 14 game schedule

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: UMass Minutewomen 2023 schedule

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”