D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: Student Athlete

Post by Bart »

TNLAX wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:29 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:23 pm
TNLAX wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:07 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:53 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:29 am Seems like a couple of gator girls
Got themselves arrested in Nashville. What happens in a situation like this? Do coaches have the say in whether to keep them
On the team?
Depends on many factors. Internal decision made by coaches that should remain internal.
I know what you are saying about keeping it “internal”, but if the girls are over 18 years of age and are adults in the eyes of the courts, why not make things public. Mistakes are made and the young ladies can grow from the experience and maybe others could grow from the experience if other players or young ladies could see what they were arrested for and what the punishments are, both legally and within the Florida lacrosse program.

Maybe future players and parents would have a different impression on the program depending how “things” are handled. I for one would rather have a child play for a coach who holds their players accountable for the decisions they make.

I know none of the details about the above referenced incident in Nashville, I am just making a general comment and I hope the young ladies didn’t do anything serious and it was just youthful indiscretions
Why? Because it isn't anyone's business other than the kids, the team in question and the coaches and AD's.

If your princess made youthful indiscretions would you want it drug around the internet? Before you, global you not you in particular TNLAX< say my princess would never do such a thing....having worked at a college for going on 30 years and sat on the student judicial board for 15 of those years, nothing is more apparent than mom and dad have no clue what their kids are actually up to on campus.
Never worked for a school or university, but it is public record in Nashville if they got arrested and have to go court. If my princess made a mistake, so be it, grow from it. These are young adults, not children anymore.

UVA men’s program for years kept things “internal”, how did that turn out for Dom, the Univeristy and Yardley?
Yep. Public record for the charge you want to know the outcome knock yourself. Sanctions and actions of the athletic department are not.

As for UVa...many mistakes there.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Bart wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:29 am Seems like a couple of gator girls
Got themselves arrested in Nashville. What happens in a situation like this? Do coaches have the say in whether to keep them
On the team?
Depends on many factors. Internal decision made by coaches that should remain internal.
I know what you are saying about keeping it “internal”, but if the girls are over 18 years of age and are adults in the eyes of the courts, why not make things public. Mistakes are made and the young ladies can grow from the experience and maybe others could grow from the experience if other players or young ladies could see what they were arrested for and what the punishments are, both legally and within the Florida lacrosse program.

Maybe future players and parents would have a different impression on the program depending how “things” are handled. I for one would rather have a child play for a coach who holds their players accountable for the decisions they make.

I know none of the details about the above referenced incident in Nashville, I am just making a general comment and I hope the young ladies didn’t do anything serious and it was just youthful indiscretions
Why? Because it isn't anyone's business other than the kids, the team in question and the coaches and AD's.

If your princess made youthful indiscretions would you want it drug around the internet? Before you, global you not you in particular TNLAX< say my princess would never do such a thing....having worked at a college for going on 30 years and sat on the student judicial board for 15 of those years, nothing is more apparent than mom and dad have no clue what their kids are actually up to on campus.
Never worked for a school or university, but it is public record in Nashville if they got arrested and have to go court. If my princess made a mistake, so be it, grow from it. These are young adults, not children anymore.

UVA men’s program for years kept things “internal”, how did that turn out for Dom, the Univeristy and Yardley?
Yep. Public record for the charge you want to know the outcome knock yourself. Sanctions and actions of the athletic department are not.

There’s a difference between getting a parking ticket and spending the night in jail for drunken disorderly. Again, you representing your team you put yourself in that spot by accepting the scholarship, and the spot on the team. You sign a code of conduct. if you should break that code a contact there should be repercussions. I think that’s what the original question was. Because if you do nothing, you’re setting yourself up for a whole list of possible disasters down the line.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

Fischer wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:57 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:48 pm
On the team?

There’s a difference between getting a parking ticket and spending the night in jail for drunken disorderly. Again, you representing your team you put yourself in that spot by accepting the scholarship, and the spot on the team. You sign a code of conduct. if you should break that code a contact there should be repercussions. I think that’s what the original question was. Because if you do nothing, you’re setting yourself up for a whole list of possible disasters down the line.
The lacrosse community is small. I heard of this thruy daughter. The players all know each other. Whatever happens behind closed doors probably won’t stay there for long. I’m sure there are regrets but athletes do indeed sign a contract regarding conduct. I don’t know what the outcome will be but it puts the coach in an odd spot with the recent football situation. Hopefully everyone will learn from it
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Julia Dorsey of a UNC is truly a remarkable athlete. She's been playing high level lacrosse AND soccer at UNC for 4 straight years. Not only did she win the championship with UNCLAX this past summer, she's a starter on the storied soccer program and scored the winning goal to send her team to the championship. incredible! Notwithstanding the balance of keeping up with academics and workouts and off field demands for BOTH. insane. give her flowers!!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:47 pm Julia Dorsey of a UNC is truly a remarkable athlete. She's been playing high level lacrosse AND soccer at UNC for 4 straight years. Not only did she win the championship with UNCLAX this past summer, she's a starter on the storied soccer program and scored the winning goal to send her team to the championship. incredible! Notwithstanding the balance of keeping up with academics and workouts and off field demands for BOTH. insane. give her flowers!!
Did you see she scored the game-winning goal in the NCAA semi-finals?? Championship is tomorrow night, UNC looking to win a 22nd NCAA title. Storied is a bit of an understatement lol
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:47 pm Julia Dorsey of a UNC is truly a remarkable athlete. She's been playing high level lacrosse AND soccer at UNC for 4 straight years. Not only did she win the championship with UNCLAX this past summer, she's a starter on the storied soccer program and scored the winning goal to send her team to the championship. incredible! Notwithstanding the balance of keeping up with academics and workouts and off field demands for BOTH. insane. give her flowers!!
And she is a great person!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:20 pm
Did you see she scored the game-winning goal in the NCAA semi-finals?? Championship is tomorrow night, UNC looking to win a 22nd NCAA title. Storied is a bit of an understatement lol
Coming back, I see you did say that :oops: it was a great goal!
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:20 pm Did you see she scored the game-winning goal in the NCAA semi-finals?? Championship is tomorrow night, UNC looking to win a 22nd NCAA title. Storied is a bit of an understatement lol
Just remembered this, tuning in. Don't like soccer but am going to watch because of the lacrosse girl.
Go Heels!!!

0-0, end of 1st.
No pitch on the field, nice and level.

Heels up 1-0
29 min to go.

Uh oh, Heels up 2-0, 15 to go.
Paterson's 2nd, header.
UCLA pressing and controlling for the most part but no goals.

UCLA on the board, 2-1.
5:50 to go.

UCLA scores with 16 sec to go.
2-2,OT.

2-2, 2OT.
Brutal.
UCLA feels like the more threatening team to me.
UNC's Paterson a crazy good player.
UCLA looks to have a little more left in the tank.
Lotta legs giving out all over the field though.
UCLA within a half a ball of a goal...crazy close.
UUCLA 3-2, on a rebound goal. Had to happen had
the ball too much. 2 min to go.

3-2 final. UNC up 2-0 with ten to go in the game,
lose it 3-2 in 2OT. Intense game.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:34 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:20 pm Did you see she scored the game-winning goal in the NCAA semi-finals?? Championship is tomorrow night, UNC looking to win a 22nd NCAA title. Storied is a bit of an understatement lol
Just remembered this, tuning in. Don't like soccer but am going to watch because of the lacrosse girl.
Go Heels!!!

0-0, end of 1st.
No pitch on the field, nice and level.

Heels up 1-0
29 min to go.

Uh oh, Heels up 2-0, 15 to go.
Paterson's 2nd, header.
UCLA pressing and controlling for the most part but no goals.

UCLA on the board, 2-1.
5:50 to go.

UCLA scores with 16 sec to go.
2-2,OT.

2-2, 2OT.
Brutal.
UCLA feels like the more threatening team to me.
UNC's Paterson a crazy good player.
UCLA looks to have a little more left in the tank.
Lotta legs giving out all over the field though.
UCLA within a half a ball of a goal...crazy close.
UUCLA 3-2, on a rebound goal. Had to happen had
the ball too much. 2 min to go.

3-2 final. UNC up 2-0 with ten to go in the game,
lose it 3-2 in 2OT. Intense game.

Heartbreaker
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

She got a Jesuit edumacation, 5 years of playing the best sport around and all I got was this wall...

Priceless :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:24 pm the best sport around
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:24 pm She got a Jesuit edumacation, 5 years of playing the best sport around and all I got was this wall...

And 30,000 miles on your jalopy and countless memories. You win Doc. Go York!!!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:44 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:24 pm She got a Jesuit edumacation, 5 years of playing the best sport around and all I got was this wall...

And 30,000 miles on your jalopy and countless memories. You win Doc. Go York!!!
:oops: :D
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

You need to get the youth ones up there too :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wlaxer student athlete getting Katherine Webb (McCarron) attention.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... 9e8d363e10
Go Buckeyes!!!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:00 pm Wlaxer student athlete getting Katherine Webb (McCarron) attention.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... 9e8d363e10
Go Buckeyes!!!
Funny part is she doesn’t even go to OSU
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, but...
Daughter of Andy and Kim Gurd... father, Andy, played football at Ohio State ('91)… brother, Patrick, plays football at Ohio State… majoring in biomedical sciences.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”