2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: 2020 Elections - Coming Soon

Post by dislaxxic »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm Creepy Uncle Joe has no shot in the #MeToo (D) Primary.
The "not as bad as Trump" defense doesn't cut it.
The comparison alone is disqualifying.
Wow, it is SO RICH hearing dedicated Trumpists saying ANYTHING about a Dem's "issues" in the MeToo era.

Dem primary voters notwithstanding, who in their right mind would EVER believe that ANY voter would turn around and support president jerk Grabber in this "era"? No one this side of a MAGA rally, that's who (which is to say that this guy is so far underwater with all likely voters that he will have little choice but to do something like declare martial law when he loses and loses BADLY in November, 2020...

Flores: Biden Encounter Was A Personal Space Issue, Not Sexual Harassment

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:55 am
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm Creepy Uncle Joe has no shot in the #MeToo (D) Primary.
The "not as bad as Trump" defense doesn't cut it.
The comparison alone is disqualifying.
Wow, it is SO RICH hearing dedicated Trumpists saying ANYTHING about a Dem's "issues" in the MeToo era.

Dem primary voters notwithstanding, who in their right mind would EVER believe that ANY voter would turn around and support president jerk Grabber in this "era"? No one this side of a MAGA rally, that's who (which is to say that this guy is so far underwater with all likely voters that he will have little choice but to do something like declare martial law when he loses and loses BADLY in November, 2020...

Flores: Biden Encounter Was A Personal Space Issue, Not Sexual Harassment

Better to ignore tRump and focus on getting the millions who stayed home on election day......but what do I know?
democrats continue to give Tulsi Gabbard the Ron Paul treatment. After a summer of democratic, incestuous cannibalism and flaw reveals, Hillaryous Clinton will save the day come September.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

More Mayor Pete:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/opin ... ion=Footer

"First, he is young and represents the rising generation, but he is also an older person’s idea of what a young person should be. He’d be the first millennial president, but Buttigieg doesn’t fit any of the stereotypes that have been affixed to America’s young people.

Young people are supposed to be woke social justice warriors who are disgusted by their elders. Buttigieg is the model young man who made his way impressing his elders — Harvard, Rhodes scholar, McKinsey, the Navy.

Young hipsters are supposed to flock to coastal places like Brooklyn and Portland; after college, Buttigieg returned to Indiana.

Young people are supposed to be anti-institutional, but Buttigieg is very institutional — his life has been defined by his service to organizations, not his rebellion against them.

Second, he is gay and personifies the progress made by the L.G.B.T.Q. movement, but he doesn't do so in a way that feels threatening or transgressive to social conservatives. He has conservative family values; it’s just that his spouse is a husband, not a wife. He speaks comfortably about his faith and says that when he goes to church he prefers a conservative liturgy to anything experimental.

Third, he is a localist and a Washington outsider, but he carries no populist resentment and can easily speak the language of the coastal elite.

Buttigieg has spent his political career in Indiana, where pols are expected to go to county fairs and eat the catfish fillet and cheesecake on a stick. He wasn’t alive when the Studebaker plant shut down in South Bend, but he has the trauma of Midwestern deindustrialization in his bones. He lives in a house near his mother where the mortgage comes to about $450 a month. On the other hand, he was friends with Mark Zuckerberg at Harvard, earned a first at Oxford and thrived as a corporate consultant.

Finally, he’s a progressive on policy issues, but he doesn’t sound like an angry revolutionary. Buttigieg’s policy positions are not all that different from the more identifiable leftist candidates. But he eschews grand ideological conflict.

“The whole point of politics is everyday life,” he said in his CNN town hall. His book is mostly about how as mayor he faced problems like snow removal and fixing potholes. His big achievements were renaming city streets, repairing the sewer system and tearing down derelict buildings. He says he’ll do whatever works."
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Buttigieg Boomlet Isn't Like the Others

Can't wait for The Don to attempt a nickname for this one...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

For more on Mayor Pete:

https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/v ... 5587350503

Funny, but a pretty good explainer on him.
ABV 8.3%

Re: 2020 Elections - Coming Soon Better website

Post by ABV 8.3% »

One common trend with the Democratic Presidential field is horrible websites for the candidates. They all have the same look and layout. Did they hire the same website development firm?

The only one that has an issues tab is Warrens. ( Sen. Warren has no specifics on issues, just her usual rhetoric about the 1%, middle class, etc. )
How are we supposed to know where they stand on the issues? Bernie Sanders website is a disaster. You can't even bypass the email data grab and campaign donation to enter the website.

What is going on with these candidates websites? Clearly lacking, in substance and style.

https://www.tulsi2020.com/

https://www.peteforamerica.com/

https://berniesanders.com/

https://elizabethwarren.com/

https://kamalaharris.org/

https://corybooker.com/
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
old salt

Post by old salt »

Why is nice guy Mayor Pete picking a fight with fellow Hoosier Pence ?
Did Pence refuse to sell him a wedding cake or try to enroll him in a conversion camp ?
Pence never questioned his life choices. Pete doth protest too much.
Trolling for victim status. Trying too hard. Not a smart move.
https://www.axios.com/pete-buttigieg-mi ... 1e2f1.html

Buttigieg told the LGBTQ Victory Fund’s National Champagne Brunch last Sunday, "My marriage to Chasten has made me a better man. And yes, Mr. Vice President, it has moved me closer to God. ... That’s the thing I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand: That if you have a problem with who I am, your quarrel is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator."

In response, Pence said in a CNN interview that he and Buttigieg "worked very closely together when I was governor, and I considered him a friend. And he knows I don't have a problem with him." He added later, "I think Pete's quarrel is with the First Amendment. All of us in this country have the right to our religious beliefs."
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Pence has only tried to limit Buttigieg's rights (and other like him) over the years. A big nothingburger.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ent-226613 If this ever gets out Ms Warrens goose is cooked. The horrific thought that at one point in time she may have been a conservative. :o
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:42 am Pence has only tried to limit Buttigieg's rights (and other like him) over the years. A big nothingburger.
How so my friend? I know VP Pence has religious beliefs that put him at odds with Buttigieg. That does not mean that VP Pence personally dislikes the man. When has VP Pence ever said anything disparaging about Mayor Pete? IMO you are making an unfair generalization because VP Pence has some strict religious beliefs that he automatically does not like Mayor Pete. That would be the equivalent of some left wing folks stating that everyone that owns a firearm is a crazed lunatic that just wants to kill people. While I don't like the terminology I believe many of these religious people use the term"love the sinner and hate the sin" How they profess to do that is another story.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:16 pm
holmes435 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:42 am Pence has only tried to limit Buttigieg's rights (and other like him) over the years. A big nothingburger.
How so my friend? I know VP Pence has religious beliefs that put him at odds with Buttigieg. That does not mean that VP Pence personally dislikes the man. When has VP Pence ever said anything disparaging about Mayor Pete? IMO you are making an unfair generalization because VP Pence has some strict religious beliefs that he automatically does not like Mayor Pete. That would be the equivalent of some left wing folks stating that everyone that owns a firearm is a crazed lunatic that just wants to kill people. While I don't like the terminology I believe many of these religious people use the term"love the sinner and hate the sin" How they profess to do that is another story.
Here's a handful of stuff I could find

2000: Pence said, “Congress should oppose any effort to put gay and lesbian relationships on an equal legal status with heterosexual marriage.”
2004: Pence co-sponsored Constitutional amendment defining marriage as only between one man and one woman.
2007: Pence voted against the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
2010: Pence voted against the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repeal.
2014: Pence supported HJR-3, a bill banning same-sex marriage in Indiana

I'm not sure where old salt got the idea that this is something about a personal beef, it seems more about policies and ideologies - the quote in the article by Buttigieg was:

"Buttigieg told the LGBTQ Victory Fund’s National Champagne Brunch last Sunday, 'My marriage to Chasten has made me a better man. And yes, Mr. Vice President, it has moved me closer to God. ... That’s the thing I wish the Mike Pences of the world would understand: That if you have a problem with who I am, your quarrel is not with me. Your quarrel, sir, is with my creator.'" The full video for context is here, and the speech is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViAbRitbmw

That certainly isn't trolling for victim status like old salt says it is.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Nobody's picking on Mayor Pete, so he's picking a fight with Pence so he can be the aggrieved party.

Trying way too hard.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 pm Nobody's picking on Mayor Pete, so he's picking a fight with Pence so he can be the aggrieved party.

Trying way too hard.
Did you watch the video, or read the various quotes? The only one trying too hard to make this a big deal is you.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:58 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 pm Nobody's picking on Mayor Pete, so he's picking a fight with Pence so he can be the aggrieved party.

Trying way too hard.
Did you watch the video, or read the various quotes? The only one trying too hard to make this a big deal is you.
Yes I watched. It was a gratuitous attack on Pence who has never mentioned Pete's sexuality or marriage choice.

It undermines his "live & let live" image by dragging Pence into a debate.

Until he dragged Pence into it, I admired the way he handled the issue.
Now, he's playing the victim, using Pence as a strawman persecutor.

I was liking him a lot, until he pulled this stunt.
Makes me wonder if he's really any different than his fellow (D) wannabe victims.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Trying way too hard.
Yes I watched. It was a gratuitous attack on Pence who has never mentioned Pete's sexuality or marriage choice.So you are giving Pence a pass for his anti-homosexual views, because he didn't cast them directly at Mayor Pete. Why?

Makes me wonder if he's really any different than his fellow (D) wannabe victims.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trying way too hard.
Yes I watched. It was a gratuitous attack on Pence who has never mentioned Pete's sexuality or marriage choice.

See, I saw it exactly the opposite way. Watched it live.

What I saw, in the speech officially opening his campaign and thus watched by many, was a guy who flipped the script on those who think Mayor Pete's gay marriage would be a liability in a run for the Presidency.

Isn't that the biggest question on people's minds? Whether voters in America are really ready to vote for a gay man? Or is it age? On both, he flipped the script.

On his marriage, he repeatedly talked about his husband and what that relationship means to him. Reminded me of Jack Ryan's advice to POTUS in Patriot Games.

It's not 'personal' between Pete and Mike, nor does it need to be.

It's simply that Pence personifies anti-gay marriage politics, currently occupying the second highest office in the land. He represents that wing of the Trumpist party, those who hold their noses at Trump's, shall we say, "indiscretions", in return for judges who are opposed to abortion rights and gay marriage. That's Pence's role in the Administration, to personify that part of the religious right. That's what got him the gig. Absolutely nothing else (other than be a willing toady).

Mayor Pete is going right after that position by unapologetically presenting himself as a religious, faithfully married gay man, not just to liberals, but to young evangelicals who are far more open on these issues than their elders.

Pence needn't have said anything ever about Mayor Pete individually, he's just been a consistent opponent of gay rights. Claims that as a religious view (which is fine, believe whatever you want for yourself). But then turns around and is very political with those views. Well, you really can't have it both ways when you actually take votes and campaign on policies of discrimination. That's when your 'religious views' impact others.

"Religious and faith" used to cut it, but Mayor Pete's peeling off younger evangelicals. He's taking it head on, right from the outset.

He did a very similar move on his relative youth.
old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 pm

Trying way too hard.
Yes I watched. It was a gratuitous attack on Pence who has never mentioned Pete's sexuality or marriage choice.So you are giving Pence a pass for his anti-homosexual views, because he didn't cast them directly at Mayor Pete. Why?
What you call "ant-homosexual views" are Pence's consistent religious beliefs.
Had Pence initiated the debate, I'd agree with your characterization.

Which will lose him some Trump voters he could win.

foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Trying way too hard.
What you call "ant-homosexual views" are Pence's consistent religious beliefs. His views are his views...which is can have all day long. What he can't have, are alternative facts, regarding this issue.
Pence started this debate ages ago....who he is debating, imo, is irrelevant.

Which will lose him some Trump voters he could win.For those in the #ABT camp, the Mayor will be fine

old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Trying way too hard.
What you call "ant-homosexual views" are Pence's consistent religious beliefs. His views are his views...which is can have all day long. What he can't have, are alternative facts, regarding this issue.
Pence started this debate ages ago....who he is debating, imo, is irrelevant.
You asked about Pete. You keep making it about Pence, who did not engage Pete.
Keep setting up strawman windmills to joust.
Based on yesterday's speech, it looks like Pete realized the downside of attacking Pence & didn't do it again.

Which will lose him some Trump voters he could win.For those in the #ABT camp, the Mayor will be fine
He's already got their votes just by letting his lifestyle speak for him. If he stay's with his previous "live & let live" message, he'll pick up a lot of Trump voters who aren't there because they agree with Pence on this issue.

Last edited by old salt on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “POLITICS”