Maryland 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Maryland 2019

Post by Peter Brown »

nyclaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 pm I was at the game and the Terps looked destined to win.
Like the opposite of Hopkins who looked destined to lose versus Ohio State, despite being up 5 goals. Maryland looked destined to win, despite being down 5 goals. That is the key difference between these two programs and that confidence differential is what separates Tills from Petro.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The entire game hinged on face-offs. Coming into the game, Rutgers had won only 40% of their face-offs. Their FOGO started the game 10 of 12, and Rutgers picked apart Maryland's defense. Austin Henningsen started the game 2 of 6, and Tillman turned to Shockey and Janeck to try and change momentum. It didn't work. When Henningsen's return to the X and winning his next 2 helped Maryland close Rutgers's lead to 9-6 at the half. Henningsen dominated the X in the second half. He won 10 of 14 in the second half, and the Terps rolled.

Give Rutgers some credit. Their offensive game plan in the first half gave Maryland fits. Once Mullins got hurt early in the 3rd (although he came back), their offense never looked the same even when they got possession. It definitely felt like once Maryland took its first lead that the outcome was inevitable.
Paterp

Post by Paterp »

Can anyone explain how such a dominant FO in high school(Shockey) is so ineffective?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Big game for Anthony DeMaio with 6 points (3 goals, 3 assists) this pushes him up to 35 points (19 goals-16 assists) on the season.
DeMaio was a player Terp fans hoped would step up, and he has more than done that, and seems to be putting himself into position for some All-American recognition.
Fairman is doing well at midfield also with 30 points (17g-13a). Fairman is a more of a 2-way midfielder.

Bernhardt and Wisnauskas are tied at 61 points. I don't recall the Terps having such a pair of scorers this century.

Louis Dubick had 3 goals on Sunday night to get him up to 25 goals on the season.
:D
Live Free or Die!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Paterp wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am Can anyone explain how such a dominant FO in high school(Shockey) is so ineffective?
It's a good question. He has taken a few steps back at UMD. I think you will see him begin to assert better %'s next year. Hennigsen has taught him some technique that he was not familiar with previously. FO, except for Baptiste and Ierlan, is a skill that takes years to perfect when in college.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Couple of things to look out for over the next 2 weeks in terms of personal records.

Jared Bernhardt has 61 points on the season (38g, 23a). That point total is the 6th highest scoring total for any Terp in his junior season (Bob Boneilo put up 79 points his junior season in 1979). His 38 goals this season has tied Joe Walters's junior goal scoring total for 9th on the all-time list of junior season goal scoring. His 23 assists are good for 11th on the junior season all-time list. His 61 points on the season is the 21st highest season point total in Terps' history. His 145 career points to date place him at #25 on the all-time Terps' scoring list.

Logan Wisnauskas is on a tear. He has 61 points on the season (34g, 27a). His sophomore season totals are good for 5th on the all-time Terps' sophomore season scoring list (surpassing Matt Rambo's 59 points during his sophomore season and a point behind Frank Urso's 62-point sophomore season). His 34 goals are the 5th most for sophomores in Terps' history, and his 27 assists are good for 4th on the all-time sophomore season list. Like Bernhardt, his 61 points on the season is good for 21st on the all-time season scoring list. Logan's 111 career points has him tied with Matt Ritz for 38th highest on the all-time Terps' scoring list.

Based on how many remaining games the Terps play, they can both break class records in scoring and goals.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 am
Bernhardt and Wisnauskas are tied at 61 points. I don't recall the Terps having such a pair of scorers this century.
The highest scoring duo I can find is Matt Rambo's 87 points and Connor Kelly's 57 points in 2017.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Paterp wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:55 am Can anyone explain how such a dominant FO in high school(Shockey) is so ineffective?
Seems different for everyone. I liked Mark Dixon's honest admission on air that he was not a face-off expert, meaning that it's near impossible for non-face off guys to really understand it.

It does appear that ground ball play from the wings is down this year. Neufeldt would have helped the f.o. percentage. It also seems like the Maryland guys will either get possession initially or have a good shot at it, then get it taken away like Michigan did 100 times.

Hopefully it clicks for Shockey soon or at least Henningsen plays like he did in the 2nd half. When this offense gets the ball first, the Terps are a different team.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 pm Seems different for everyone. I liked Mark Dixon's honest admission on air that he was not a face-off expert, meaning that it's near impossible for non-face off guys to really understand it.
Hard to know what happened there Sunday night. It seem sort of like Harryman had some sort of move Henningsen couldn't handle. Tillman gave Henningsen a little break. Henningsen seemed to figure it out and came back in and totally dominated.
On the other hand, maybe Harryman sprained his wrist or something.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Tillman post-game

https://youtu.be/zEGIjIRvrzo

Henningsen post-game

https://youtu.be/358pTP8rulM
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Logan McNaney, Goalie was selected in the 2nd wave of the Under Armour game
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

Based on the first half against Rutgers and even after being outscored, Maryland looked ready to beat any team in upcoming conference and national tournaments. The entire team looks like it can play for most D-I football teams, excluding Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State.

*First, what are the coaches looking at on the hand-held computer screens/tablets? I watch game feeds, and the camera tends to follow just the ball as opposed to the whole field. So, my question is, what do the Maryland coaches get from the tablets?

*Smelling salts before games...

*#8 looked like a tournament-ready SSDM and face-off wing. Am I right on this number and impact?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

nyclaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 pm
*First, what are the coaches looking at on the hand-held computer screens/tablets? I watch game feeds, and the camera tends to follow just the ball as opposed to the whole field. So, my question is, what do the Maryland coaches get from the tablets?

*Smelling salts before games...

*#8 looked like a tournament-ready SSDM and face-off wing. Am I right on this number and impact?
In the post game interview Tillman said they did use the video to make half time adjustments on FO. He has said this several times in the past. Several other team have started using the video feeds.

Puglise seems to be a man on a mission. Could be having a year under his belt or playing in his friends memory.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

With 500 faceoff wins for Maryland lacrosse, Austin Henningsen still isn’t satisfied

“It’s incredible, but I’m not satisfied yet. I want to get more,” Henningsen said. “I mean, I’ll cherish it right now and think about, but really I just want to win more.”

Big game coming up against Justin Inacio this weekend.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Terps win 10-9 in ot. over OSU.
Gets the Terps to 3-1 and clinches a Big Ten tmt place. I think it gets the Terps an NCAA bid also.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Whew. That was a pre-shot clock, grinder kind of game, wasn't it?

That should also lock up an at-large if the Terps don't win the B1GT.

Pretty clear at this point. When the Terps can win 50%+ from the face-off, they're not going to lose because the offense is too good. When they're under 50%, you get crazy wins like UPenn and OSU.

If PSU beats JHU tomorrow, next week will be awesome. Win and send JHU home for the season.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 pm Whew. That was a pre-shot clock, grinder kind of game, wasn't it?

Pretty clear at this point. When the Terps can win 50%+ from the face-off, they're not going to lose because the offense is too good. When they're under 50%, you get crazy wins like UPenn and OSU.

If PSU beats JHU tomorrow, next week will be awesome. Win and send JHU home for the season.

Was Wisnauskas hurt on his end of Q4 shot to tie it up? The highlights show him staying on the ground.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:23 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 pm Whew. That was a pre-shot clock, grinder kind of game, wasn't it?

Was Wisnauskas hurt on his end of Q4 shot to tie it up? The highlights show him staying on the ground.
He was out there for OT. Gotta hope he's okay.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Geppert got his first real playing time. 3 Gb and 2 Ct.
Long was moved to 1st team Midfield
With Snider now on 2nd team they had a good outing, Masci 1 goal, 1 assist; Snider 1 assist and Zawadzski with a goal
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

The game seems to be up on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN51wKj2u9I

Geppert is mostly playing ssdm, replacing the injured Chiaramonte.

Bernhardt really gets to the goal quickly in the open field, opponents need to slide early or forget it.
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”