Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by oldbartman »

An incoming '23. Looks like a solid pickup for the program.

https://twitter.com/TRACAthletics/statu ... 82/photo/1
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:00 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:42 am
GeneralBart wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:41 pm Lacrosse Bucket lists this gentleman as a '24 Hobart commit: https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-lacross ... s-chandler

Another Blue Star club player.
He's a real good player. Son has played with him at Blue Star. Rees is graduating in 2023, and then doing a PG at Brunswick (that's the rumor) for 2024 before coming to Hobart.
Hope we can hold on to him as Brunswick players tend to get scooped up by other programs.
I don't think Brunswick takes PGs and they don't have housing. Might be a different NE prep school.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

FCCTlaxFan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:29 pm
oldbartman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:00 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:42 am
GeneralBart wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:41 pm Lacrosse Bucket lists this gentleman as a '24 Hobart commit: https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-lacross ... s-chandler

Another Blue Star club player.
He's a real good player. Son has played with him at Blue Star. Rees is graduating in 2023, and then doing a PG at Brunswick (that's the rumor) for 2024 before coming to Hobart.
Hope we can hold on to him as Brunswick players tend to get scooped up by other programs.
I don't think Brunswick takes PGs and they don't have housing. Might be a different NE prep school.
Thanks - like I said, a rumor...but he's definitely doing a PG. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was at Hun considering the Blue Star-Hun connection then.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:55 pm An incoming '23. Looks like a solid pickup for the program.

https://twitter.com/TRACAthletics/statu ... 82/photo/1
I mean we have this years team of course but I’m of the opinion if we keep everyone and they stay healthy that they 23 class will be up there with any Raymond has had.

I could be super wrong but as of now as very high on:

Both goalies
Stilwell
Matthew’s
Valent
swisher
Patterson
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Dux917

Post by Dux917 »

Recruit Chris Patterson from Bronxville signed his NLI.

https://twitter.com/bronxvillelax/statu ... 0570112001
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dux917 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:01 am Recruit Chris Patterson from Bronxville signed his NLI.

https://twitter.com/bronxvillelax/statu ... 0570112001
Coaches need to review this and keep the Shay's and Corrigan's away!

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/bo ... ball-guide
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Not lacrosse related, but I watched the #2 ranked Hobart hockey team destroy Cortland on Saturday night. It was a whole lot of fun. The Statesmen scored two goals before I was even in my seat on the way to cruising to a 5-0 victory. I sat next to a hockey mom from British Columbia who had traveled all the way out to watch her FY son play. He scored the first goal of his career. Very nice experience for her.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Very cool Ketch, thanks for sharing! Amazing how far the Hobart hockey program has come since the 80's!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Football team got an ECAC bowl game against Wash & Jeff out of Pitt area. Very disappointing season for football team with some issues around the offense and strategy but could still wind up 8-3 if they show up for this one.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

From the IL Fall Invitational: Session II write-up

Standout Player: Ryan Miele | LSM/D | Kiski School (Pa.) | CW Elite 2024 | Hobart

The 6-0, 185-pound righty took every face-off that I saw his team take, and his motor was on display from the opening whistle. He’s excellent at harassing ball-carriers immediately, throws heavy checks and doesn’t show an ounce of fear — either in getting run past or in taking a penalty. Really remarkable to watch.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:25 pm From the IL Fall Invitational: Session II write-up

Standout Player: Ryan Miele | LSM/D | Kiski School (Pa.) | CW Elite 2024 | Hobart

The 6-0, 185-pound righty took every face-off that I saw his team take, and his motor was on display from the opening whistle. He’s excellent at harassing ball-carriers immediately, throws heavy checks and doesn’t show an ounce of fear — either in getting run past or in taking a penalty. Really remarkable to watch.
Was just going to post!

https://youtu.be/HuuuiSod2k0

Looks like he's a descendant of Conrad Dobler . . . nice to have a bull in the China shop kid
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LeeRoggy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:29 pm
oldbartman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:25 pm From the IL Fall Invitational: Session II write-up

Was just going to post!

https://youtu.be/HuuuiSod2k0

Looks like he's a descendant of Conrad Dobler . . . nice to have a bull in the China shop kid
Rumor has it Dobler once bit a guy's finger off who got it inside his football helmet.

Not to Cornell and Syracuse players, you should stick your fingers up in this kids business - it's good lacrosse strategy with him...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

New podcast

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-48/124

Love how Coach Raymond talks about not bringing transfer and wants to develop players who have Hobart as their 1st choice. His discussion about progressing from C to B to A levels lets payers/recruits know they can advance if you put in the work.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

He's one of the few that isn't taking advantage of the portal...I think it's a mistake. Or, it may be difficult to attract transfers?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:14 am He's one of the few that isn't taking advantage of the portal...I think it's a mistake. Or, it may be difficult to attract transfers?
Personally I think of it as a tool in the toolkit and to eschew it completely is a mistake. But is he selling a team/family/honor paradigm to parents and recruits in a world that looks a little like the Wild West and yet still open to it strategically? Especially as an occasional one off and particularly now with scholarship money available. For everyone transfer like a Brendan Saylor who worked out we had many from 2000-2015 who didn’t distinguish themselves from a organically developed team member (or worse) and is a signal to future members of a culture.

So I suspect a kid who’s homesick in the mid Atlantic or south but a talented kid or buried behind an overloaded class the year after them are kids Coach R would still work to bring in as the culture fits.

He’s just not waiving them in like, frankly, st joes is going right now. Success opens up new doors but not every door is one you want to open…being in the same conference as St Joes we present an opposite approach in this regard for recruits and their parents to consider. Maybe both can be effective but makes for a clearer distinction in model and signals a difference in culture.

We will see as it evolves post COVID influence in 2-5yrs I would guess.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Hobart has never been a big transfer destination for any students. It's not that type of school. Why should that be any different for lacrosse?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Transfer out in my time. Usually just missed getting into a NESCAC academically, ball out grades FR year and transfer up.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

There is still some transfer in and out at Hobart. The scene is different than it once was. It's now possible to pick off kids who chose to go elsewhere first year. Admissions is the wild west in general.
Sayler was really good but the best recently was PJ. We'd do well to recruit academically talented com college players. Not only can we offer $, but also an MSc in Management.
Still, Raymond's developmental model actually fits us best overall.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”