THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
twinkie

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by twinkie »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 pm Set Condition Zebra
Not entirely sure that will save the Jays at this point in the season...
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:55 pm
viper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 pm Well, my only hope is that the pattern of games and seasons over recent years is a byproduct of excessive early recruiting and not because the coaches are running certain players into the ground or failing to make adjustments in response to the oppositions adjustments, or any of the other criticisms I see about them, etc. In the case of early recruiting, at least we may see improvement in the coming years as the new recruiting rules settle in.

I don't see drastic changes to anything else coming down the line. I agree that National Championship expectations have to evolve with that of the sport, however it seems the "rational expectations" on this team keep waning to the point where we are just hoping to make a tournament (B1G or NCAA) and see what happens. It seems just a matter of time before just finishing 500 will be a goal.

Every school has recruiting advantages and disadvantages. While there are some schools that may have very nice selling points, I am not convinced that Hopkins has become a place where lacrosse players don't want to go anymore. I thinks its somewhat comparable to a school like Yale in terms of academics, urban location, cost, etc and Yale seems to have become and remain competitive as Hopkins slips backward.
If you didn’t notice, the kid who committed to Hopkins before he ever played a high school lacrosse game had 3 goals and 2 assists against Ohio State, and is already the best player on the team as a freshman. Recruiting hasn’t been a problem.

Hard to recall a Hopkins team that was so consistently inconsistent. Upperclassmen have underperformed as a group this year.

Season is hardly over, but the Blue Jays will need to be nearly perfect for the remainder of the season if they want to salvage this campaign.

DocBarrister :|
The fat lady may be singing... Let this one slip away
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

When was the last time Jays blew a six goal lead and lost the game?
FACEvalue

Post by FACEvalue »

2003 - that stat was flashed on the TV screen. Replays also clearly show the goal before halftime should not have counted.
Last edited by FACEvalue on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Try again -- Jays were undefeated in 2005.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

the announcers said 2003.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Doc,
You of all people should know about supporting an argument with small sample sizes. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I will acknowledge that Epstein is really good.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

viper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 pm Well, my only hope is that the pattern of games and seasons over recent years is a byproduct of excessive early recruiting and not because the coaches are running certain players into the ground or failing to make adjustments in response to the oppositions adjustments, or any of the other criticisms I see about them, etc. In the case of early recruiting, at least we may see improvement in the coming years as the new recruiting rules settle in.

I don't see drastic changes to anything else coming down the line. I agree that National Championship expectations have to evolve with that of the sport, however it seems the "rational expectations" on this team keep waning to the point where we are just hoping to make a tournament (B1G or NCAA) and see what happens. It seems just a matter of time before just finishing 500 will be a goal.

Every school has recruiting advantages and disadvantages. While there are some schools that may have very nice selling points, I am not convinced that Hopkins has become a place where lacrosse players don't want to go anymore. I thinks its somewhat comparable to a school like Yale in terms of academics, urban location, cost, etc and Yale seems to have become and remain competitive as Hopkins slips backward.
If you didn’t notice, the kid who committed to Hopkins before he ever played a high school lacrosse game had 3 goals and 2 assists against Ohio State, and is already the best player on the team as a freshman. Recruiting hasn’t been a problem.

Hard to recall a Hopkins team that was so consistently inconsistent. Upperclassmen have underperformed as a group this year.

Season is hardly over, but the Blue Jays will need to be nearly perfect for the remainder of the season if they want to salvage this campaign.

The issue is/was not taking an exceptionally talented kid like Epstein early. The issue is/was filling entire recruting classes with 9th graders. When 75% of those kids didn't pan out, that led to the ocean-sized roster holes that you see today (and will see for a few more years). There are plenty of stories of very good D1 players that were "late-bloomers" (i.e. they had actually played a game of high school lacrosse!) who Hopkins wouldn't even look at because there were no spots left. Early departures left room for guys like Foley and Kuhn, or it could have been a lot worse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Give me a break. This loss has nothing to do with early recruiting. Hopkins was up by 6 goals at one point. 5-goal halftime lead. It was a choke job.

Had leads at halftime against OSU and Syracuse. Tied at the half with Virginia. Big leads against Delaware and Rutgers too that also evaporated, luckily they were able to (barely) hang on those times. 11 goals allowed in the second half vs. Ohio State, 10 vs. Virginia. Meanwhile, on offense, we had 8 goals in the first half against Syracuse and just two in the second half. 8 again against Ohio State, 5 in the second half. Jays have the talent to get out to a lead against anyone in the country. But once they figure out what we're doing, it's game over. Whose fault is that?

What accounts for that? I don't think it has anything to do with early recruiting. Sounds to me like a pattern has emerged. The opposing team makes good halftime adjustments. We do not.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:55 pm Give me a break. This loss has nothing to do with early recruiting. Hopkins was up by 6 goals at one point. 5-goal halftime lead. It was a choke job.

Had leads at halftime against OSU and Syracuse. Tied at the half with Virginia. Big leads against Delaware and Rutgers too that also evaporated, luckily they were able to (barely) hang on those times. 11 goals allowed in the second half vs. Ohio State, 10 vs. Virginia. Meanwhile, on offense, we had 8 goals in the first half against Syracuse and just two in the second half. 8 again against Ohio State, 5 in the second half. Jays have the talent to get out to a lead against anyone in the country. But once they figure out what we're doing, it's game over. Whose fault is that?

What accounts for that? I don't think it has anything to do with early recruiting. Sounds to me like a pattern has emerged. The opposing team makes good halftime adjustments. We do not.
Not today's loss specifically, but definitely plays a part in the past few disappointing season.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

This is JHU Lacrosse. Kids fresh out of high school should not routinely be among the best players. It would be better if Joey Epstein was the third or fourth option.... Even Rabil had to wait his turn to lead the team. More rational recruiting will help but Hopkins, UNC and Virginia made a tactical error going all in on 12-14 freshmen in high school. Lars came in and pulled commitments and it stopped the bleeding.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

I have never been so proud of a Hopkins team in the first half and so disappointed with one in the second half. Can we win one(or both)of the next two? Maybe. Doubt it! :oops:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I doubt it has much to do with early recruiting or halftime adjustments. They can’t seem to find an alpha to take command of the D so communication is sub optimal and they lose their legs as the game progresses. Seems fairly consistent
Last edited by OCanada on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DALaxDad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:55 pm Doc,
You of all people should know about supporting an argument with small sample sizes. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I will acknowledge that Epstein is really good.
Reminds me of a joke I heard at a Navy wharf:

What time is bedtime at Neverland?

When the big hand touches the little hand.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm I doubt it has much to do with early recruiting or halftime adjustments. They can’t seem to find an alpha to take command of the D so communication is sub optimal and they lose their legs as the game progresses. Seems fairly consistent
Sure seems to be the case. What adjustments do you make when you are up by 5 at the half and allowing low number of goals?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 pm I doubt it has much to do with early recruiting or halftime adjustments. They can’t seem to find an alpha to take command of the D so communication is sub optimal and they lose their legs as the game progresses. Seems fairly consistent
Agreed but the question is why. outside of Darby the entire defense is coming back. I understand that a goalie is a key to the defense but there is a lot of seniors on that defense with a lot of experience so it is unfathomable that Hopkins defense is the worst it has ever been.

I go back to the 11th OSU goal. OSU middie is driving down the left side of the field. He has step on Hubler. Jones moves to slide in supporting defense but then backs away. Long stick crease defender is forced to slide leaving OSU crease attackman wide open and it is an easy goal. Jones literally ran away from making a slide. He was in no man's land (which happens a ton in Petro's defense) and caused an easy goal for OSU.

Off topic: is it just me or is every getting daily phone calls from Hopkins looking for money. I know because I see the 410/516-xxxx number and don't answer it.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The given reason is communication. No one has stepped up to take charge of the D, GK is quiet. When I watch I see what appears to be poor communication so that is part of it. I live a bit distant to drive up for a few practices and find out
Hopkins34

Post by Hopkins34 »

Totally outplayed and out coached in the second half. Seems routine lately. Where was the time out on Hopkins last possession with just over a minute left? Mind numbing. TO and game lost.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Assuming favorites win all games - i.e. Penn State beats Rutgers, Ohio State loses to Maryland and Hopkins does not pull off either upset (and Michigan doesn't shock the world) - you have a very possible classic 3 way 2-3 conference standings with one team winning one and losing to the other in head to head. I tried looking for a 3rd tie-breaker (assuming head to head and conference are TB's 1 and 2). Big 10 baseball then uses RPI - I have no idea if this applies to lacrosse. If Hopkins continues its recent trend - there's a decent probability of 6-7 or 6-8 (make the BIG and play Penn State) - rivaling (probably exceeding) '10 and '16 as the worst in the Petro era - '09 and '13 were pretty bad but even the lost season of '13 saw only 5 losses and the worst two were 5 goals to Syracuse and 4 to defending champ Loyola. Anything happen?

As far as the game - extremely disappointing. Best part of the second half was a younger 20's Hopkins supporter got a gorgeous black lab in the game that I could tussle with. Petro has to solve something for me - is the team the team that everybody counted out and is so resilient or is it the team that continually gets "out-toughed" (his words essentially) by Virginia, Ohio State, etc.? Prouty wore down 5 of his 14 wins after half time and once again ground balls were a big story. I can almost guaranty if the Hopkins starting 10 doesn't get to 10 ground balls - Hopkins is in trouble. 6 of the Hopkins starting 10 played the entire game and didn't come up with a single ground ball. How does that happen? The defensive mistakes were glaring. Not all of it can be placed on communication - for example, what was Reinson thinking with #5 coming at him with a full head of steam and you half pivot so you have zero momentum and he walks to the middle of the field and fires a laser? Darby has certainly shown some talent in stealing some close in shots - he often looks completely overmatched by any outside shot that is not low and right at him. I am not asking him to stop LeClaire's laser from 10 - no one is - he needs to stab one or two of the others. Hard to see this defense dealing with Penn State and Maryland - possession battle not likely to be any better - and probably worse - than yesterday. Maryland will execute Hopkins to death - a repeat of the '17 dumpster fire in College Park?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

After it became clear after halftime that the defense could not stop anyone from strolling to the middle of the field—why not switch to a zone? Just try it out? The man-down defense was good all day, and quite frankly it's been solid all season (17th in the country in man-down %). At the very least it might have provided a temporary reprieve from all of Ohio State's pick-and-pop action that we had lots of trouble with. Now who knows if it would have worked long term (or at all) but isn't it worth trying something—anything—to throw the other team out of its groove? Instead, it seemed like they just laid down and let the other team assert its will for 30 minutes. That's what I meant by not making the adjustment. When you're up by 5 goals at halftime, obviously, no, you're not just going to change what's been working. But a good staff would have seen the opponent's adjustments coming and planned for them. Whenever another team make an adjustment, we tend to look like a deer in headlights, unsure how to react. That's when you start to see the panic—the horrible, head-scratching clearing passes, the laughably late switches, etc. There's no doubt that the Jays were prepared for this game. They came out with energy and played a great first half. But something changed at halftime. You certainly can't just chalk that up to communication. I didn't see anyone getting tired. Mentally tired, maybe, but not physically. This is virtually the same personnel that gave up just 5 goals against Ohio State last year in the conference semifinals. Granted, Turnbaugh had an epic night. I do think that perhaps this team misses Turnbaugh's leadership in net.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”