Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:37 pm
Cool Whip in coffee? I can see using it to shave, but it’s hydrogenated veg oil, high fructose corn syrup and other junk. I use half n half.
Yoghurt (vanilla) is a good whipped cream alternative.

I use heavy whipping cream to make home made kool whip. But nowadays it's cheaper to buy it from the dairy.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Will be cooking a Prime Rib this Thanksgiving at my sons place. Because I do not know enough about his oven heat retention, I will forgo the blind method where you cook it at 500 for a 6 minutes/lb, then simply turn down to lowest setting for 2 hours. I've never had one not come out great in my own oven.

I found this method from Jean-Pierre, which looks amazing...a nyone else have ideas or success stories?

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:17 pm
Gonna make his prime rib and twice baked potatoes for Thanksgiving, forgoing the turkey this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgtAw21MM4&t=166s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AO5xsIqpPM
Bon appetit.
Too funny, posted this back a little bit, check that first video out.
I get a blast out of the long winded but entertaining Jean Pierre.
Made this yesterday, followed it pretty much to the T, happy with
the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whtbrb_--Hc&t=619s
Edit: Actually, didn't follow it to the T, didn't put the tomato puree
in there, just one of those small cans of tomato paste.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:24 am
DMac wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:17 pm
Gonna make his prime rib and twice baked potatoes for Thanksgiving, forgoing the turkey this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgtAw21MM4&t=166s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AO5xsIqpPM
Bon appetit.
Too funny, posted this back a little bit, check that first video out.
I get a blast out of the long winded but entertaining Jean Pierre.
Made this yesterday, followed it pretty much to the T, happy with
the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whtbrb_--Hc&t=619s
Edit: Actually, didn't follow it to the T, didn't put the tomato puree
in there, just one of those small cans of tomato paste.
Well sh1t....I missed that :lol: . Great cooks think alike ;) .

We'll have to compare notes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:50 am Will be cooking a Prime Rib this Thanksgiving at my sons place. Because I do not know enough about his oven heat retention, I will forgo the blind method where you cook it at 500 for a 6 minutes/lb, then simply turn down to lowest setting for 2 hours. I've never had one not come out great in my own oven.

I found this method from Jean-Pierre, which looks amazing...a nyone else have ideas or success stories?

Are you going to make Yorkshire pudding to go with that?
ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:50 am Will be cooking a Prime Rib this Thanksgiving at my sons place. Because I do not know enough about his oven heat retention, I will forgo the blind method where you cook it at 500 for a 6 minutes/lb, then simply turn down to lowest setting for 2 hours. I've never had one not come out great in my own oven.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:52 pm

I may just do that. I do not want to embarrass the in-laws too much with all my skills. :lol:
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Am watching my pathetic NY Giants getting their butts kicked by Detroit Lions. Needless to say it's been a bad scene. But am sweetening the deal by having a hot cocoa-mocha topped with cool whip. Yum! Sooooo tasty.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Unless you are lactose-intolerant, may I recommend Reddi-Wip? Just as easy as Cool Whip, and much closer to the real thing.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:17 pm Unless you are lactose-intolerant, may I recommend Reddi-Wip? Just as easy as Cool Whip, and much closer to the real thing.
Indeed. Really good stuff.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

THIS IS A BUMMER

4. 🐷 Poole's Bar-B-Q turns off the grill
A photo of Pat Buchanan posing with a wooden pig with his and his wife Shelley's names in front of a barbecue restaurant
Poole's Bar-B-Q drew politicians and political hopefuls like Pat Buchanan, who visited with his wife Shelley in 1992. Oscar Poole stands between the couple. Photo: Erik Lesser/AP

This week's your last chance to feast on chopped pork barbecue and potato salad that’s fed countless politicians and North Georgia road trippers.

What's happening: This coming Saturday, Nov. 26, at 4pm, Poole's Bar-B-Q in East Ellijay will close its doors after more than 30 years in business.

Catch up quick: Husband-and-wife duo "Colonel" Oscar and Edna Poole opened the barbecue restaurant in 1989.

The red-and-yellow building framed by a "pig hill of fame" littered with plywood pigs became a must-stop spot for politicians including Pat Buchanan, Nathan Deal, and many others to shake hands.
The Pooles retired in 2008 and sold the restaurant to their son, Darvin. Oscar, himself a conservative activist and regular sight at GOP parties, died in 2020 at the age of 90.

What's next: Darvin tells the AJC that he's closing to spend more time with his grandchildren, but he'd consider offers to buy the business.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ardilla secreta

Carpano Antica

This aged vermouth is one of the most delicious beverages. Carpano Antica, orange peel, mini iceberg for after dinner. Sampled at Osteria Morini on NYC Lower East Side a few years ago. A fantastic restaurant.
5C8AEFCE-100F-47CA-B0FF-1A71345F962B.jpeg
5C8AEFCE-100F-47CA-B0FF-1A71345F962B.jpeg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 665 times
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:27 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:52 pm

I may just do that. I do not want to embarrass the in-laws too much with all my skills. :lol:
:lol: If you showed up with that on Turkey Day at my house? I'd likely cry with happiness!!
youthathletics

Re: Carpano Antica

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:53 pm This aged vermouth is one of the most delicious beverages. Carpano Antica, orange peel, mini iceberg for after dinner. Sampled at Osteria Morini on NYC Lower East Side a few years ago. A fantastic restaurant.

5C8AEFCE-100F-47CA-B0FF-1A71345F962B.jpeg
Nice!!
I make something similar at home, called a Tom Ford. Carpano Antica Formula, orange bitters, ice ball, and a couple ounces of bourbon. Garnished with an orange peel twist.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I made Jean-Pierres scrambled eggs this morning. I used black truffle spread instead of the white truffle oil. They were outstanding. I remembered to butter the toast.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 am We'll have to compare notes.
Jean-Pierre gets a thumbs up from me and the black lab, don't know how it could be/turn out better.
Went by the book, did salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for 24 hrs, brushed a light coat of
melted butter on it when I took it out, threw some herb de provence on it, let it come to room
temp, put it in the oven at 250. Close to 4 hrs later it was at 129, did the 30 min rest, gave it the
500 degree blast for 10 min, and voi la, a mighty damn tasty prime rib. Little au jus dabbed with
a bit of horseradish on the plate, slice on top of that, a little more au jus on top. How does it get
better than that? Twice baked potato pretty darn tasty too. Jea-Pierre be da man.
Herb de provence was a new one to me, hadn't ever heard of it. Real good stuff, put some on a
burger...well, cheeseburger... the other night, goes real good on that.
Bones were met with approval by the lab, enjoyed a nice tasty one on the kitchen floor, cleaned it off
nicely and thoroughly enjoyed himself while doing so. He took a doggie bag with him, took the bare bone
and nice juicy one too. Labs are happy dogs, just fun loving tail waggin' fools. Fun dogs, I like the ballaholic
part too.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

free food on the L line in NYC:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/brook ... r-AA14wzyb

A Brooklyn woman invited all of New York City to her Thanksgiving dinner this week, setting up a whole meal inside a subway car to feed strangers.

CBS2's Hannah Kliger has more on the story behind the viral movement.

Videos are circling online, many with more than 1 million views, showing strangers happily eating a Thanksgiving meal together on the L train.

"Multiple people mentioned, 'I'm not going to see my family this year. I'm not able to have a big gathering,' and they were really grateful," said Haylee Pentek of Williamsburg.

Pentek was coming home from work on Tuesday night when she, along with dozens of other commuters, was surprised with a heaping plate of food.

"They also had so many dinners and boxed meals. They were really making sure that everyone who needed or wanted food had an opportunity to eat," Pentek said.

Brandi Baxter, a single mom of three from East New York, is the chef behind it all. She was involved in a similar stunt with a group of friends back in 2019. This year, she decided to bring it back -- this time with just her kids.

"When they got on the train, they're like 'What's going on? What is this?' A couple of ladies were like, 'Do you need help?'" Baxter said.

They loaded the food, table, and settings at the Livonia Avenue station, and then took the L train all the way to Union Square, where they set up the table. That's when everyone on the train was invited for dinner.

"I was like, 'This is Thanksgiving,' on the train, and everybody was like 'Oooh' and I'm like, 'Get a plate.' I don't think they expected to be fed. They thought it was maybe something else, but when I said, 'Let's eat,' that was it," Baxter said.

But her dinner party gets more meaningful when you learn her story. Less than a year ago, Baxter and her kids were homeless, and struggled to put food on the table, themselves.

"That's what it was about, just loving on people. New York is not as bad as they make it seem. I know we have a lot going on right now, but this to be a ray of sunshine, I'm here for it," Baxter said.

She cooked for two days and made enough food to fill around 160 bellies.

"I wasn't really having a great day that day and just to see people helping us give back to the community was fun," daughter Kamara Fraser said.

But a few stops in, the train went out of service. Eventually, passengers were asked to step off, and Baxter cleared the table. But she wasn't done. She took the leftovers to her community to feed the people she saw in the streets.

"You should always give back, no matter what you have, or even if you have a dollar or a quarter, always give it to a person in need," son Aziah Fraser said.

Baxter is still not done. As CBS2 met her, she was on her way to drop off boxes of clothing at a local church. This mom shows her gratitude through acts of service, and it's not just on Thanksgiving, but year round.

Baxter said she even offered the food to the MTA conductor and other staff, who were glad to see her there. She said she thinks the train was stopped because of traffic ahead -- not because of the dinner. An MTA spokesperson had no comment.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:13 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 am We'll have to compare notes.
Jean-Pierre gets a thumbs up from me and the black lab, don't know how it could be/turn out better.
Went by the book, did salt and pepper and leave in the fridge for 24 hrs, brushed a light coat of
melted butter on it when I took it out, threw some herb de provence on it, let it come to room
temp, put it in the oven at 250. Close to 4 hrs later it was at 129, did the 30 min rest, gave it the
500 degree blast for 10 min, and voi la, a mighty damn tasty prime rib. Little au jus dabbed with
a bit of horseradish on the plate, slice on top of that, a little more au jus on top. How does it get
better than that? Twice baked potato pretty darn tasty too. Jea-Pierre be da man.
Herb de provence was a new one to me, hadn't ever heard of it. Real good stuff, put some on a
burger...well, cheeseburger... the other night, goes real good on that.
Bones were met with approval by the lab, enjoyed a nice tasty one on the kitchen floor, cleaned it off
nicely and thoroughly enjoyed himself while doing so. He took a doggie bag with him, took the bare bone
and nice juicy one too. Labs are happy dogs, just fun loving tail waggin' fools. Fun dogs, I like the ballaholic
part too.
Slight mods but still came out great. Mine was 4-Bone, 10.5lbs
~Overnight in fridge with Sea Salt and Fresh ground pepper
~ Pulled from fridge @ 6am to come up to room temp
~ In oven @250 uncovered for close to 4 hours
~ Pulled and rested for about 75 minutes while sides cooked.
~ Coated with a homemade compound butter (Kerrygold, fresh diced garlic and dried rosemary), seared at 500 for 7-10 minutes.
~ Side -Sweet potatoes, Mac/Cheese, Homemade green casserole (fresh mushrooms and beans, heavy cream), and sadly I could not the yorkshire pudding we where very limited with kitchen accoutrements being in a house with 4 USNA grads :lol:

As you can see, it was a bit more gray on the edges than I would have preferred, but at the 11th hour the inlaws informed me, they like med to med-well....had I known this, I would have not allowed my son to get married. ;) :lol:

~Livy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

YA, that looks spectacular. Hope you and yours had a very nice Thanksgiving.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks pretty damn good to me too, youth, well done (not as in cooked meat).
Mine looked pretty much the same, gonna be darker around the edges but it's
all good. Prime rib is just good stuff.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”