2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:41 am
get it to x wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:34 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:33 am
get it to x wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:34 am
ggait wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:47 pm
And yet France manages to handle over 40 million voters with no mail in or early voting, one election day on a Sunday and have the results almost immediately. Oh, and almost 100% paper ballots with very few machines, hand counted. I guess they value an honest election way more than who wins.

X -- You were trolling/advocating in person only voting. Like they do in France. So I fact checked your troll BS. Deal with it.

My point was that in GA, folks (mostly) black have to stand in line for up to 10 hours in order to vote in person. Which is flat out racist and unacceptable in a democracy.

Thankfully, they do have early voting and mail voting in Georgia. Which you oppose for no logical reason at all, except maybe that you'd rather not have those other people voting. How about we let people vote the way they want to vote. Why should we all have to do it the way you say. Fork off.

You trolled up the subject of in person voting, not me.

Cheers.
Dems won plenty of elections when we only voted on one day. Not to say there wasn't fraud. See Kennedy in Illinois and Nixon in Texas in 1960. Do you think not knowing all of these races a week after election day promotes confidence in the system? Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will. Maybe the plan is to just have people say, "Well, my vote doesn't matter, so why bother?"
You sound like a loser. Would hate to see you after your lax team suffers a loss…..
Really? You have over 25,000 posts on a lacrosse website. You need to get a life. I stop in here occasionally to follow the Hopkins thread and talk politics. As a Jay fan it’s rough lately but I’m generally an optimist. Now if you want to talk golf, you’re a little closer to the truth.

Of course there is fraud, and in some close races it could tip the scales. My biggest takeaway from this is Mitch was almost as anti-Populist as any Democrat. He didn’t support populist candidates in NH, AK, AZ. Populism is the enemy of the establishment. Also, Dems are street fighters while Reps are less likely to resort to ballot harvesting and primary crossover to elect poor Republicans. Laxalt is an example.
Can you give us a specific example in 2020 or 2022 of fraud and the close races it could have or did "tip the scales"???

If not, why not?

"Laxalt is an example" of what?
An election denier? An abortion extremist?
You think his problem was Mitch?
Or that voters in a purple/blue state didn't like his extremism?
The bolded red is an interesting shift in language.

Is this what's getting peddled now in right wing media?

"populist" now as a compliment?
An "anti-establishment" term to divert from the term I'd use "extremism"?

And note the "Dems are "street fighters"...are we calling on "populists" to be "street fighters"?..."my people have the guns" language from Der Leader?
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:49 amThe bolded red is an interesting shift in language.

Is this what's getting peddled now in right wing media?

"populist" now as a compliment?
An "anti-establishment" term to divert from the term I'd use "extremism"?

And note the "Dems are "street fighters"...are we calling on "populists" to be "street fighters"?..."my people have the guns" language from Der Leader?
This is what you get when you live in a world of "alternative facts"...the state of affairs installed by the orange leader of that base...on a group of people that want - SO badly - to live in that world. Orange Cheeto has mangled the idea of "The Power of Positive Thinking" into an unrecognizable pile of poo. The folderol the GOP establishment has been feeding elements of this base for decades...that Trickle Down works for them, that spending on stuff like SS and Medicare is evil and is holding them down, that BS about "we'll stay out of your personal life", that a unitary executive is a GOOD thing...all that painting-into-a-corner crapola has got them all firmly stuck in that corner with....DONALD FRICKIN' TRUMP!! :lol: :lol:

What level of Dante's Inferno is that, exactly??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

a fan wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:43 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:20 pm The strategy from Democrats forever has been to legalize ballot harvesting via mail-in balloting. One operative can attack a housing development, and in a matter of one hour gather up every honest and every dishonest ballot and simply drop them off to the voting halls. Do you realize how many old and incorrect addresses exist for every state that does this?
:lol: :lol: So why doesn't you man DeSantis and his R Sec of State allow mail in and absentee ballots, Pete?

If this is so bad, where's DeSantis on forcing 100% of voting to take place in person, on Election Day, ID in hand?

Yet another in the long list of questions you can't answer.

Florida does it right. They do not allow voting months in advance.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... I think it instructive to go back to 2014 - 2016 and look at what was going on. Bernie, long before Orange Duce, was gaining populist traction. Bernie's message was purely economic. Bernie's crowds were growing fast. There was no call to racism, xenophobia, misogyny, etc. Trump walked down the elevator and had a message that was pure hate. There was no economic component, initially. Bernie continued to grow faster. Trump then added the economic message and crowds started to grow ever bigger. The difference between the economic messages of Trump and Bernie, Bernie proposed actual solutions (which the big money establishment hated). Trump added no solutions, it was just white blue-collar economic grievance - hate, no solution (which the big money establishment had no problem with).

Hiilary nosed out Bernie leaving the field open to Trump.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

get it to x wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:34 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:33 am
get it to x wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:34 am
ggait wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:47 pm
And yet France manages to handle over 40 million voters with no mail in or early voting, one election day on a Sunday and have the results almost immediately. Oh, and almost 100% paper ballots with very few machines, hand counted. I guess they value an honest election way more than who wins.

X -- You were trolling/advocating in person only voting. Like they do in France. So I fact checked your troll BS. Deal with it.

My point was that in GA, folks (mostly) black have to stand in line for up to 10 hours in order to vote in person. Which is flat out racist and unacceptable in a democracy.

Thankfully, they do have early voting and mail voting in Georgia. Which you oppose for no logical reason at all, except maybe that you'd rather not have those other people voting. How about we let people vote the way they want to vote. Why should we all have to do it the way you say. Fork off.

You trolled up the subject of in person voting, not me.

Cheers.
Dems won plenty of elections when we only voted on one day. Not to say there wasn't fraud. See Kennedy in Illinois and Nixon in Texas in 1960. Do you think not knowing all of these races a week after election day promotes confidence in the system? Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will. Maybe the plan is to just have people say, "Well, my vote doesn't matter, so why bother?"
You sound like a loser. Would hate to see you after your lax team suffers a loss…..
Really? You have over 25,000 posts on a lacrosse website. You need to get a life. I stop in here occasionally to follow the Hopkins thread and talk politics. As a Jay fan it’s rough lately but I’m generally an optimist. Now if you want to talk golf, you’re a little closer to the truth.

Of course there is fraud, and in some close races it could tip the scales. My biggest takeaway from this is Mitch was almost as anti-Populist as any Democrat. He didn’t support populist candidates in NH, AK, AZ. Populism is the enemy of the establishment. Also, Dems are street fighters while Reps are less likely to resort to ballot harvesting and primary crossover to elect poor Republicans. Laxalt is an example.
Add another. :lol: :lol: take your L and move on.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:31 am
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:20 pm The strategy from Democrats forever has been to legalize ballot harvesting via mail-in balloting. One operative can attack a housing development, and in a matter of one hour gather up every honest and every dishonest ballot and simply drop them off to the voting halls. Do you realize how many old and incorrect addresses exist for every state that does this?
:lol: :lol: So why doesn't you man DeSantis and his R Sec of State allow mail in and absentee ballots, Pete?

If this is so bad, where's DeSantis on forcing 100% of voting to take place in person, on Election Day, ID in hand?

NO STATE ALLOWS VOTING "MONTHS" IN ADVANCE. 2-4 weeks max. Which is a good idea. It works the same way day of voting works in most states. All this complaining is just bullsh*t. The states that take longest to deliver results are simply not investing in the infrastructure to do it faster - that is all! No conspiracy, just economics, pure and simple. :roll:
ggait

Post by ggait »

Do you think not knowing all of these races a week after election day promotes confidence in the system?
Hey X -- so it turns out the root cause of the slow counting is...wait for it...conspiracy theorist MAGAs! They screw everything up.

The reason why AZ is so much slower in counting is because the MAGA crap is so much more pervasive in AZ.

Like CO and FL (who have very quick and accurate counts), AZ has been a primarily mail in state for decades. But folks in AZ have ingested the BS about how drop boxes are bad. And mail voting is bad. So in the past few election cycles, MAGA voters have increasingly voted by walking their mail in ballots into the polling places on election day. Which gums up the works and defeats the benefits of mail in ballots.

CO and FL have their counts fast because (i) people vote their mail ballots by drop box and mail (not in person on Election Day), (ii) they mostly vote before election day, and (iii) so they have more time to process those paper ballots. FL, unlike AZ, does not allow voters to vote in person using a mail ballot. If you are physically at the polling place on election day, FL makes you vote with a machine. Makes total sense.

AZ (a red state historically fyi) needs to upgrade their systems and laws to deal with this MAGA phenomenon. They also need to have a PR campaign to convince voters that (despite what MAGAs say) mail and drop boxes are just fine. Just like they have been for decades.

Go look it up.
Last edited by ggait on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Stop the trolling BS Petey.

In Colorado, ballots were mailed this year on October 17. Early in person voting started October 24.

Agree that FL has a good election system. Thanks to Jeb Bush leading the charge to clean it up after the 2000 election.

RonDe never would have done that. Only a RINO would do that job.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
elonmuskrockefeller

jhu72 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:46 am

NO STATE ALLOWS VOTING "MONTHS" IN ADVANCE. 2-4 weeks max. Which is a good idea. It works the same way day of voting works in most states. All this complaining is just bullsh*t. The states that take longest to deliver results are simply not investing in the infrastructure to do it faster - that is all! No conspiracy, just economics, pure and simple. :roll:

False information above.

PA allows 50 days mail-in voting ahead of voting. 50 (or 7.15 weeks)

The following states allow up to 40-45-46 days of early voting:

Illinois, Minnesota, Mississippi, VT, SD, VA, WY.
elonmuskrockefeller

ggait wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:22 am

In Colorado, ballots were mailed this year on October 17. Early in person voting started October 24.

Agree that FL has a good election system. Thanks to Jeb Bush leading the charge to clean it up after the 2000 election.

I thought Ron was a "fascist"...wouldn't a fascist simply overrule all election laws, heck even cancel elections? jhu72 tells you that Ron has goon squad of poll enforcers whose only job is to suppress minority voters...and yet, no one ever sees this goon squad. Amazing.

Meanwhile, Desantis has to juggle two hurricanes and still got all the counting done the same night of the election. I'd say the guy seems qualified to run even bigger things than the state of Florida.
a fan

Post by a fan »

They allow Mail in, Absentee Ballots, drop boxes, and ballot harvesting, Pete. :lol:

Odd, DeSantis allows all of the above. Obviously he likes all of the above, or he'd change it.

And you don't have an answer for this. So you change the subject. :lol: Worst. Troll. Ever.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:21 am

I thought Ron was a "fascist"...wouldn't a fascist simply overrule all election laws, heck even cancel elections? jhu72 tells you that Ron has goon squad of poll enforcers whose only job is to suppress minority voters...and yet, no one ever sees this goon squad. Amazing.

Meanwhile, Desantis has to juggle two hurricanes and still got all the counting done the same night of the election. I'd say the guy seems qualified to run even bigger things than the state of Florida.
Ok Petey, you get called out for a lie and instead of even attempting to explain it, or admit you were wrong, you pivot to extreme (and stupid) comments, putting words in others mouths that certainly weren't remotely close to what they said.

Then some more dumb headed fawning over DeSantis?

Where's the hotwife comment? Need that to make it complete.
or maybe some christian nationalism with the hotwife?
elonmuskrockefeller

a fan wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:24 am

They allow Mail in, Absentee Ballots, drop boxes, and ballot harvesting, Pete. :lol:

Odd, DeSantis allows all of the above. Obviously he likes all of the above, or he'd change it.

And you don't have an answer for this. So you change the subject. :lol: Worst. Troll. Ever.

Incorrect so far as allowing just anyone to do so. Worst fact checker ever.

Florida law allows a person of the voter's choice—except for an employer, an agent of the employer, or a union officer or agent—to assist in casting mail ballots of voters needing assistance due to blindness, disability, or inability to read or write. The law states the following:

"Any elector applying to cast a vote-by-mail ballot in the office of the supervisor, in any election, who requires assistance to vote by reason of blindness, disability, or inability to read or write may request the assistance of some person of his or her own choice, other than the elector’s employer, an agent of the employer, or an officer or agent of his or her union, in casting his or her vote-by-mail ballot."

Read the law here.

On May 6, 2021, Governor Ron DeSantis (R) signed SB90 into law, establishing that "any person who distributes, orders, requests, collects, delivers, or otherwise physically possesses more than two vote-by-mail ballots per election in addition to his or her own ballot or a ballot belonging to an immediate family member, except as provided in ss. 101.6105-101.694, including supervised voting at assisted living facilities and nursing home facilities as authorized under s. 101.655, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree."
elonmuskrockefeller

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:28 am

Ok Petey, you get called out for a lie and instead of even attempting to explain it, or admit you were wrong, you pivot to extreme (and stupid) comments, putting words in others mouths that certainly weren't remotely close to what they said.

Is Ron a fascist, MD? Is every Republican now a fascist? You casually toss the word around, I figured I would as well. Maybe you don't know what it means?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:18 am

False information above.

... still not months! All less than 2 months. 7 at 6 weeks, One at 7 weeks. :roll: 8 of 51 greater than 4 weeks.

Doesn't change the fact that your point is crybaby bullsh*t. There is no problem with early voting. It gives minorities flexibility - that is your true complaint.
elonmuskrockefeller

jhu72 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:40 am
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:18 am

False information above.

... still not months! All less than 2 months. 7 at 6 weeks, One at 7 weeks. :roll: 8 of 51 greater than 4 weeks.

Doesn't change the fact that your point is crybaby bullsh*t. There is no problem with early voting. It gives minorities flexibility - that is your true complaint.

Is Vermont a minority-heavy state? South Dakota?
a fan

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:36 am Incorrect so far as allowing just anyone to do so. Worst fact checker ever.

Florida law allows a person of the voter's choice—except for an employer, an agent of the employer, or a union officer or agent—to assist in casting mail ballots of voters needing assistance due to blindness, disability, or inability to read or write. The law states the following:

"Any elector applying to cast a vote-by-mail ballot in the office of the supervisor, in any election, who requires assistance to vote by reason of blindness, disability, or inability to read or write may request the assistance of some person of his or her own choice, other than the elector’s employer, an agent of the employer, or an officer or agent of his or her union, in casting his or her vote-by-mail ballot."

Read the law here.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't need to, Pete. Remeber: you're telling us that the Dems are cheating. Meaning: breaking the law. You can't even keep your story as to what is happening straight for five minutes.

Maybe bold will help: You're telling us that Dems in Florida are breaking this law, remember? :lol:

The ONLY way for DeSantis to stop this cheating of yours, is to ban remote voting. Make them vote in person, ID in hand. Problem solved.

He's not doing that, Pete. And you don't care, because you're not remotely serious about these allegations of cheating.

It's awesome.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 am

Is Ron a fascist, MD? Is every Republican now a fascist? You casually toss the word around, I figured I would as well. Maybe you don't know what it means?
Go away Petey, your trolling is not only tedious, it's stupid.

Yes, I think DeSantis is dangerous, an opportunist who has signaled "strong man", populist fascist tendencies with Christian Nationalism as its core theme. I think he's dangerous, because, while not charismatic, he's clearly much brighter and more 'competent' than the idiot, but highly charismatic, cult leader predecessor who has paved the way for minority/authoritarian rule. Of course, he's not yet in a position to consolidate dictatorial control, but I see no evidence that if he gains such an opportunity, he won't seize it. Orban-style accretion of power.

That said, I think this christian nationalist movement, the MAGA movement, etc, etc is going to be repeatedly repudiated...but only if we voters, D's, R's, I's turn out to do so.

As I've also said, DeSantis is a disappointment. He had an opportunity to govern as a rational, moderate, competent conservative but he decided to tack hard right...an opportunist. A shame, really. He could have been a heck of an alternative post MAGA times. But he'll never be that for voters like me.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:37 am

DeSantis is a fascist. Period. No, not all republicans are fascists.

Return to “POLITICS”