Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hey Howard Hughes Musk…your shtick got old 3-5yrs ago, acolytes are getting less thoughtless but composition by the day. Kenny Rogers gots advice for Ya!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

Elon Musk reportedly said Twitter could file for bankruptcy next year

Daniel Howley
Thu, November 10, 2022, 5:13 PM
Elon Musk’s tenure at Twitter got even bumpier on Thursday, as he reportedly told employees during an emergency all-hands meeting that he can't rule out the company filing for bankruptcy in the next year.

Musk made the announcement during the all-hands meeting after an employee asked about the company’s current run rate, according to both The Information and Platformer managing editor Zoë Schiffer.

Musk also reportedly told employees that if they weren’t physically at the office 40 hours a week, they might as well file their resignation letters. Musk has been adamant about workers returning to the office, even though Twitter previously allowed employees to work from anywhere.

Several Twitter executives have stepped down within the company in recent days including chief information security officer Lea Kissner, who announced that they were leaving the firm early Thursday.

In addition to Kissner, Twitter’s head of ad sales, Robin Wheeler, and head of Trust and Safety, Yoel Roth, have left the company. Wheeler hosted a Twitter Q&A with Musk on Wednesday designed to help assuage advertisers’ concerns that it won’t be able to moderate user content enough to prevent the spread of misinformation and hate speech.

A Twitter headquarters sign is shown in San Francisco, Friday, Nov. 4, 2022. Employees were bracing for widespread layoffs at Twitter on Friday, as new owner Elon Musk overhauls the social platform. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
Elon Musk's tenure has included laying off half of Twitter and introducing a controversial verification system. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
The turmoil comes as Musk attempts to monetize Twitter in any way, including by introducing a controversial $8 per month verification badge. But trolls have already found a way to abuse the service by signing up for new accounts, purchasing a badge and masquerading as influential figures and companies including LeBron James and Nintendo of America.

In a rare move, the Federal Trade Commission issued a warning to Twitter, with a spokesperson saying the commission is watching the company “with deep concern.”

Musk took over Twitter last week, finalizing a $44 billion deal that he initially tried to back out of. Since then, he’s fired the company’s C-suite, dissolved its board, and taken the company private.

A number of big name advertisers including Volkswagen, GM, and General Mills have pulled or paused their advertising campaigns amid concerns that Musk will make good on his prior promise to loosen platform moderation.

Since then Musk has vacillated between threatening to call out the companies publicly and trying to win them back to his side by promising to make the platform a welcoming place.

Last week, Musk laid off some 3,700 Twitter employees, or roughly half of its workforce.

Editor's note: Twitter laid off 3,700 workers. A prior version of this article misstated that number.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Beginning to think the the Eli Lilly hoax (but verified) account saying they were offering Insulin for free might be a game changer.

Some are reporting that Twitter may be toast by the end of the year not only financially but regulatory troubles.

Tesla shares have been tanking as Musk sells billions to support Twitter. Investors there are very skittish.

If this turns out to be true, would be stunning set of events
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:12 am Beginning to think the the Eli Lilly hoax (but verified) account saying they were offering Insulin for free might be a game changer.

Some are reporting that Twitter may be toast by the end of the year not only financially but regulatory troubles.

Tesla shares have been tanking as Musk sells billions to support Twitter. Investors there are very skittish.

If this turns out to be true, would be stunning set of events
I called this a month or more ago. Same w Sam Bankman Fried. This is all a leveraged beta trade with grossly mid priced liquidity risk.

The Fed Put created in 3/8/08 (or whenever they capped JPMs losses on Bear, Continental Illinois was a precedent but not really) combined with ZIRP and >10yrs of extraordinary policy pushed folks out the risk curve too far and completely masked the ability to price liquidity risk. Banks are scrambling completely unprepared for this.

As a debt guy I’m always circumspect but when “just a guy”-me currently without a name platform on my business card, is seeing the deal flow I am, I’m scared as hell about the economy. Recall 08 wasn’t a solvency issue it was a liquidity crisis because of leverage and shadow banking..sound familiar.
njbill

Post by njbill »

In another cost-cutting measure, Musk informed employees that he’s doing away with bathrooms at Twitter offices. Employees will be required to bring their own sinks and toilets to work. Let that sink in.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:42 am In another cost-cutting measure, Musk informed employees that he’s doing away with bathrooms at Twitter offices. Employees will be required to bring their own sinks and toilets to work. Let that sink in.
Kitty litter for the cubicle.
njbill

Post by njbill »

:lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:42 am In another cost-cutting measure, Musk informed employees that he’s doing away with bathrooms at Twitter offices. Employees will be required to bring their own sinks and toilets to work. Let that sink in.
I was a temp mailman while in college (started first xmas in the distribution center, then when I took a year off between FR and Soph year spent like 6mo as a "floater") and having a non set route like a utility guy I was always scrambling to make it back by 4 and usually had to have lunch and urine breaks in the back of the truck - gatorade bottles do the trick on pee, dropping a duece just requires some blue jean commerical level butt cheek squeezing for a while...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:53 am
Kitty litter for the cubicle.
It makes me smile when I see you post things of humor.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:23 am
I was a temp mailman while in college (started first xmas in the distribution center, then when I took a year off between FR and Soph year spent like 6mo as a "floater") and having a non set route like a utility guy I was always scrambling to make it back by 4 and usually had to have lunch and urine breaks in the back of the truck - gatorade bottles do the trick on pee, dropping a duece just requires some blue jean commerical level butt cheek squeezing for a while...
You weren’t trying hard enough:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkgW3V2p ... MyMTA2M2Y=
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:15 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:23 am
You weren’t trying hard enough:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkgW3V2p ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Hope the freegans avoided that receptacle for their lunch!

There's always someone smarter, stronger, more twisted, determined, etc. As the song once wrote: I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And the walls keep tumbling down, tumbling down...Only he can make outrageous sums of money. But when dudes are looking in your pocket it's a signal of their situation often.

Elon Musk Made an Unusual Request in Fallout With a Top Lieutenant
As Tesla stock rose rapidly, Musk focused on whether compensation for employees matched their contributions, people say
Jerome Guillen, shown in 2014, rose through Tesla’s ranks over a decade and helped the car maker work through production problems of its Model 3.
Nov. 11, 2022 5:30 am ET

Last year, Elon Musk parted ways with one of his top deputies at Tesla Inc., TSLA -3.35%decrease; red down pointing triangle a French auto-industry executive named Jerome Guillen.

Mr. Guillen worked at Tesla for roughly a decade, rising to oversee the company’s car division. He was rewarded with equity grants that swelled with Tesla’s valuation. By the end of 2020, Mr. Guillen’s unvested equity in the car maker was valued at around $600 million, according to an Equilar Inc. analysis.

As their long relationship broke down, Mr. Musk made an unusual request: He asked Mr. Guillen to forfeit some of his unvested equity in the car maker, people familiar with the matter said. Soon after, Mr. Guillen left Tesla.

Exactly what went wrong between the two leaders couldn’t be learned. But some of the people familiar with the matter said one issue of broader concern for Mr. Musk has been that some employees were making more from Tesla than he thought their contributions merited.

Attorneys say that asking executives to give up stock compensation is highly unusual.

Neither Mr. Guillen nor Mr. Musk responded to requests for comment.

The dust-up reflects a point of tension in Tesla’s stratospheric rise: Who should reap the rewards of its stock price? Mr. Musk has paid his top executives predominantly with stock awards, securities filings show.

Employee stock options have been at the heart of several controversies at Tesla over the years, including a dispute with one of the company’s co-founders, a court battle over the schedule by which employee equity vested, and a shareholder lawsuit over Mr. Musk’s pay package that is headed for trial next week.

How Mr. Musk manages and compensates senior officials is now being scrutinized at Twitter Inc., which he recently bought for $44 billion. Upon taking over, Mr. Musk fired top Twitter executives and said he wasn’t required to pay them multimillion-dollar severance packages because he concluded they were fired “for cause,” people familiar with the departures have said.

As of early November, Tesla was valued at around $600 billion. Mr. Musk, who doesn’t take a salary from the car maker, owns around 14% of the company. He has become the world’s wealthiest person thanks largely to Tesla’s stock price and a pay package that affords him a larger cut of the company if it hits certain milestones.

Mr. Musk’s latest pay deal, approved in 2018, is worth around $51 billion at recent prices. It sparked a shareholder lawsuit in Delaware’s business-law court, the Court of Chancery, alleging that certain current and former Tesla board members breached their fiduciary duties in approving it. That case is scheduled for trial Monday.

Lawyers representing current and former Tesla board members have said in court filings that Mr. Musk’s pay package has been a success and was implemented in a valid manner.

Stock options also played a role in a dispute more than a decade ago between Mr. Musk and Tesla co-founder Martin Eberhard, who was pushed out of the company as it struggled to produce its first model.

Mr. Eberhard sued Mr. Musk and Tesla in 2009 over issues including how the company revoked 250,000 stock options he claimed he was owed. Tesla had said Mr. Eberhard had violated a nondisparagement agreement, forfeiting those options. The two sides eventually settled the case. Mr. Eberhard declined to comment on the settlement.

Years later, more than 40 former employees sued Tesla, claiming the company wrongfully refused to allow them to vest in stock options. Tesla denied the former employees’ claims, and the two sides spent years in litigation, which opened a window into how some people who left the company were allowed to vest early while others claimed they were let go just before they vested. Tesla moved early board member Simon Rothman into an advisory position to allow him to vest his options after being removed from the board, court records show. Mr. Rothman didn’t respond to requests for comment.

This spring, a California appeals court overturned a lower-court ruling against Tesla in that case.

Mr. Guillen joined Tesla in 2010 from then-car and trucking giant Daimler AG. Among his most important contributions was helping Tesla work through production problems in 2018, when the company was struggling to make enough of its Model 3 cars. In September 2018, he was promoted to president overseeing the automotive division.

“Jerome was pulling some pretty incredible rabbits out of the hat. That was amazing,” Mr. Musk said in August 2018.

In 2020, after the spread of Covid-19 forced Tesla to shut down what was then its lone U.S. car plant, in Fremont, Calif., Mr. Musk grew frustrated with people, including Mr. Guillen, over the speed at which Tesla was prepared to restart production, according to people familiar with Tesla’s operations.

Come year-end, Mr. Guillen was vesting more than $12 million worth of equity monthly, according to an Equilar analysis using the year-end closing stock price. His unvested equity was valued at around $600 million.

By spring of the following year, Mr. Musk had grown dissatisfied with Mr. Guillen’s performance, some of the people familiar with the matter said. Mr. Guillen was offered what many viewed as a demotion—a role overseeing Tesla’s efforts to produce an electric semitrailer truck—and Mr. Musk asked Mr. Guillen to forfeit millions of dollars’ worth of unvested equity.

Mr. Guillen assumed his new role in March 2021 but declined to give up his rights to the unvested equity. Within three months of changing jobs, he was gone. In Mr. Guillen’s telling, he was fired, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Musk’s recent focus on pay has been rooted at least in part in his perception of fairness, people familiar with the issue said. Mr. Musk stood to receive additional stock options under his 2018 package only if Tesla met certain goals.

The recent grants of other top executives whose compensation is publicly disclosed generally haven’t been tied to specific performance benchmarks, securities filings show.

Unlike with paychecks already deposited in the bank, employees typically lose unvested stock rights when they leave a company.

Requests for employees to consider giving up unvested equity even without leaving are rare, but a company could be within its rights to make them, attorneys said. More often, companies fire employees they think aren’t performing. Demanding unvested equity be returned under threat of dismissal could run afoul of contract laws, the attorneys said.

“What would raise my concern here on behalf of either party would be whether the company is violating promises it made to the employee with respect to his compensation,” said Scott Raber, a partner at Rimon PC who works on employment law and doesn’t represent Tesla.

After Mr. Guillen left in June 2021, Tesla said, in a securities filing: “We thank him for his many contributions and wish him well in his future career.”

In the weeks that followed, securities filings show, Mr. Guillen sold hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of Tesla stock.

—Jim Oberman and Elisa Cho contributed to this article.

Write to Rebecca Elliott at [email protected], Emily Glazer at [email protected] and Tim Higgins at [email protected]
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Twitter Blue with verification tick is no longer available for purchase as of this morning. It looks like the Musk clusterFcuk is, at least, on hold.

Investors may want to sell Tesla now as he will likely have to continue to liquidate stock to fund the mess he created at Twitter.

Simply stunning turn of events.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/11/twitter ... m-app.html
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:35 am And the walls keep tumbling down, tumbling down...Only he can make outrageous sums of money. But when dudes are looking in your pocket it's a signal of their situation often.

Elon Musk Made an Unusual Request in Fallout With a Top Lieutenant
As Tesla stock rose rapidly, Musk focused on whether compensation for employees matched their contributions, people say
Jerome Guillen, shown in 2014, rose through Tesla’s ranks over a decade and helped the car maker work through production problems of its Model 3.
Nov. 11, 2022 5:30 am ET

Last year, Elon Musk parted ways with one of his top deputies at Tesla Inc., TSLA -3.35%decrease; red down pointing triangle a French auto-industry executive named Jerome Guillen.

Mr. Guillen worked at Tesla for roughly a decade, rising to oversee the company’s car division. He was rewarded with equity grants that swelled with Tesla’s valuation. By the end of 2020, Mr. Guillen’s unvested equity in the car maker was valued at around $600 million, according to an Equilar Inc. analysis.

As their long relationship broke down, Mr. Musk made an unusual request: He asked Mr. Guillen to forfeit some of his unvested equity in the car maker, people familiar with the matter said. Soon after, Mr. Guillen left Tesla.

Exactly what went wrong between the two leaders couldn’t be learned. But some of the people familiar with the matter said one issue of broader concern for Mr. Musk has been that some employees were making more from Tesla than he thought their contributions merited.

Attorneys say that asking executives to give up stock compensation is highly unusual.

Neither Mr. Guillen nor Mr. Musk responded to requests for comment.

The dust-up reflects a point of tension in Tesla’s stratospheric rise: Who should reap the rewards of its stock price? Mr. Musk has paid his top executives predominantly with stock awards, securities filings show.

Employee stock options have been at the heart of several controversies at Tesla over the years, including a dispute with one of the company’s co-founders, a court battle over the schedule by which employee equity vested, and a shareholder lawsuit over Mr. Musk’s pay package that is headed for trial next week.

How Mr. Musk manages and compensates senior officials is now being scrutinized at Twitter Inc., which he recently bought for $44 billion. Upon taking over, Mr. Musk fired top Twitter executives and said he wasn’t required to pay them multimillion-dollar severance packages because he concluded they were fired “for cause,” people familiar with the departures have said.

As of early November, Tesla was valued at around $600 billion. Mr. Musk, who doesn’t take a salary from the car maker, owns around 14% of the company. He has become the world’s wealthiest person thanks largely to Tesla’s stock price and a pay package that affords him a larger cut of the company if it hits certain milestones.

Mr. Musk’s latest pay deal, approved in 2018, is worth around $51 billion at recent prices. It sparked a shareholder lawsuit in Delaware’s business-law court, the Court of Chancery, alleging that certain current and former Tesla board members breached their fiduciary duties in approving it. That case is scheduled for trial Monday.

Lawyers representing current and former Tesla board members have said in court filings that Mr. Musk’s pay package has been a success and was implemented in a valid manner.

Stock options also played a role in a dispute more than a decade ago between Mr. Musk and Tesla co-founder Martin Eberhard, who was pushed out of the company as it struggled to produce its first model.

Mr. Eberhard sued Mr. Musk and Tesla in 2009 over issues including how the company revoked 250,000 stock options he claimed he was owed. Tesla had said Mr. Eberhard had violated a nondisparagement agreement, forfeiting those options. The two sides eventually settled the case. Mr. Eberhard declined to comment on the settlement.

Years later, more than 40 former employees sued Tesla, claiming the company wrongfully refused to allow them to vest in stock options. Tesla denied the former employees’ claims, and the two sides spent years in litigation, which opened a window into how some people who left the company were allowed to vest early while others claimed they were let go just before they vested. Tesla moved early board member Simon Rothman into an advisory position to allow him to vest his options after being removed from the board, court records show. Mr. Rothman didn’t respond to requests for comment.

This spring, a California appeals court overturned a lower-court ruling against Tesla in that case.

Mr. Guillen joined Tesla in 2010 from then-car and trucking giant Daimler AG. Among his most important contributions was helping Tesla work through production problems in 2018, when the company was struggling to make enough of its Model 3 cars. In September 2018, he was promoted to president overseeing the automotive division.

“Jerome was pulling some pretty incredible rabbits out of the hat. That was amazing,” Mr. Musk said in August 2018.

In 2020, after the spread of Covid-19 forced Tesla to shut down what was then its lone U.S. car plant, in Fremont, Calif., Mr. Musk grew frustrated with people, including Mr. Guillen, over the speed at which Tesla was prepared to restart production, according to people familiar with Tesla’s operations.

Come year-end, Mr. Guillen was vesting more than $12 million worth of equity monthly, according to an Equilar analysis using the year-end closing stock price. His unvested equity was valued at around $600 million.

By spring of the following year, Mr. Musk had grown dissatisfied with Mr. Guillen’s performance, some of the people familiar with the matter said. Mr. Guillen was offered what many viewed as a demotion—a role overseeing Tesla’s efforts to produce an electric semitrailer truck—and Mr. Musk asked Mr. Guillen to forfeit millions of dollars’ worth of unvested equity.

Mr. Guillen assumed his new role in March 2021 but declined to give up his rights to the unvested equity. Within three months of changing jobs, he was gone. In Mr. Guillen’s telling, he was fired, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Musk’s recent focus on pay has been rooted at least in part in his perception of fairness, people familiar with the issue said. Mr. Musk stood to receive additional stock options under his 2018 package only if Tesla met certain goals.

The recent grants of other top executives whose compensation is publicly disclosed generally haven’t been tied to specific performance benchmarks, securities filings show.

Unlike with paychecks already deposited in the bank, employees typically lose unvested stock rights when they leave a company.

Requests for employees to consider giving up unvested equity even without leaving are rare, but a company could be within its rights to make them, attorneys said. More often, companies fire employees they think aren’t performing. Demanding unvested equity be returned under threat of dismissal could run afoul of contract laws, the attorneys said.

“What would raise my concern here on behalf of either party would be whether the company is violating promises it made to the employee with respect to his compensation,” said Scott Raber, a partner at Rimon PC who works on employment law and doesn’t represent Tesla.

After Mr. Guillen left in June 2021, Tesla said, in a securities filing: “We thank him for his many contributions and wish him well in his future career.”

In the weeks that followed, securities filings show, Mr. Guillen sold hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of Tesla stock.

—Jim Oberman and Elisa Cho contributed to this article.

Write to Rebecca Elliott at [email protected], Emily Glazer at [email protected] and Tim Higgins at [email protected]
"Upon taking over, Mr. Musk fired top Twitter executives and said he wasn’t required to pay them multimillion-dollar severance packages because he concluded they were fired “for cause,” people familiar with the departures have said."

Didja now, Ellie? Wonder what the court will conclude?

Fcuk that egomaniac. Eerily similar to lard-asz Drumpfer. Ellie needs to be pinched off now like a greasy turd.

This is one of the functions of government -- keeping sociopaths in line. Failing to do so results in tremendous aggregate social tension that occasionally releases like an earthquake.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Kismet wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:38 am Twitter Blue with verification tick is no longer available for purchase as of this morning. It looks like the Musk clusterFcuk is, at least, on hold.

Investors may want to sell Tesla now as he will likely have to continue to liquidate stock to fund the mess he created at Twitter.

So what will the federal government do to protect their interest in Space X being a viable company?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:53 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:38 am Twitter Blue with verification tick is no longer available for purchase as of this morning. It looks like the Musk clusterFcuk is, at least, on hold.

So what will the federal government do to protect their interest in Space X being a viable company?
As long as they don't do that dumb receivership like they did with the GSEs.

The play is to protect retail shareholders except Cathy Wood in exchange for pressuring the value to other suitors down such that there's no bid...
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 am

The play is to protect retail shareholders except Cathy Wood in exchange for pressuring the value to other suitors down such that there's no bid...
I was thinking more of the need for the launch capabilities as Space X is the de facto rocket division for NASA.

Fcuk the retail shareholders.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:40 am

I was thinking more of the need for the launch capabilities as Space X is the de facto rocket division for NASA.

:roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:40 am

well, prefer shareholders don't get hosed, but these are among the risks of investing in companies with mega-ego CEO's...sometimes you win big, sometimes you lose big.

But yes, critical that Space X continue to develop and innovate, doesn't collapse in this mess. The current shareholders don't take top priority.

The company would not exist without the federal gov't relationship.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:26 am I’m scared as hell about the economy. Recall 08 wasn’t a solvency issue it was a liquidity crisis because of leverage and shadow banking..sound familiar.
We've been battening down the hatches for six months now. Just got back from SF....all those layoffs and folks still not working downtown? Place is a mess outside of a few pockets.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:08 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:26 am I’m scared as hell about the economy. Recall 08 wasn’t a solvency issue it was a liquidity crisis because of leverage and shadow banking..sound familiar.
We've been battening down the hatches for six months now. Just got back from SF....all those layoffs and folks still not working downtown? Place is a mess outside of a few pockets.
“folks still not working downtown”

Might just be the case that Gen Zers, kept out of the marriage and housing market, might not be so amenable to financial dragooning.

A common misconception most people hold is that other people share their same values and perspectives. Rarely true. CEOs, which skew towards the “more mature” end of the distribution, have some surprises coming their way.

Return to “POLITICS”