2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by jhu72 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:04 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:51 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 pm About 2 months ago my wife and I met Wes Moore's mom, Joy, at the retirement party for one of our very good pals who has devoted much of her life to Baltimore City.

We were having a charity event at our home the next week on behalf of the Creative Alliance, an arts org in Baltimore we support, located at old Patterson Park theatre...32 seated outside for an 'Art to Dine For', with a chef from West Baltimore who was named "Cook of the Year" by Southern Living, a former NFL player turned artist/activist from West Baltimore, an African American sommelier who curates wines from around the world owned by, or imported by, black women, and an poet/activist from West Baltimore; storytelling, menu was foods inspired by her memories of her grandmother cooking...Joy asked to come and we made it happen, but made her promise to bring a couple of signs for Wes to combat the huge Dan Cox sign at one of our neighbors who had also held a massive fundraiser for him.

Another neighbor had told me, in a quite horrified voice, that someone had painted a swastika on the Cox sign and on her mailbox, which probably looked like same property as the sign. She was going to have to go to court...I asked, did they catch the guy, "yes", and in a hushed but urgent voice, "it was a Jewish man"...I said, "ohh, that's horrible and illegal... (couple of heartbeats) ...I guess he must have felt very strongly...". I asked her what she knew of Cox, not much apparently other than R...I asked her whether she knew that Hogan had said he was crazy and that no one should ever vote for him...no, she did not..."But I don't know anything about the Democrat other than he wrote a book". I said, well when he was a young boy he saw his father shot, he himself was in handcuffs at age 11, but then made it to Hopkins, played football, was a Rhodes scholar, then went into the Army where he served in Afghanistan...she said, "Ohh, I love that..." Perhaps I converted one vote.

When I told my Democrat son of the swastika, he asked "did they paint that on before or after they put the sign up"?

The good news is that Moore is the real deal, good soul, very bright...he should be able to attract a much better group of people into his Administration than had O'Malley, who I thought was disastrously bad at such. One of the big positives for Hogan was that he attracted competence, not as much partisan stuff as typical. Hopefully Moore will take a page from that playbook. Terrific communicator.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/09/opinions ... index.html

Our other favorite candidate this year was Brooke Lierman for Controller, who we'd met at a fundraising event by a fellow Dartmouth alum. My wife and I being old alums, Brooke being a young one! Very bright, passionate, thoughtful, hard worker. I think she's going to do a very creditable job for Maryland.
I went for Lierman in both primary and on Tuesday. Really like her.

I was originally skeptical of Moore, didn't support him in the primary, but I am very happy with him as things worked out. He has a great story and has the common touch. Very excited to see him as Governor. Could be special.

A wooden post could have beaten Cox. Really disappointed in what's left of the republican party in Maryland. But then again they have been electing Harris for a long time who is the worst kind of POS. I actually taught him undergraduate physics for pre-meds at Hopkins -- nothing to write home about.

Skipping past the part where you are violating a central, cardinal ethic of teaching (just amazing actually), which is to never discuss a specific student in any public forum, you are "disappointed" with the Maryland Republican Party, yet the Democratic Party is okay? The same Democratic Party which oversees the City of Baltimore, which is again on pace to absorb well over 300 homicides in a city with a dwindling population and tax base:

https://www.wypr.org/show/midday/2021-0 ... res-fallen

I hope Wes Moore does well, but I think it is fair to assume he will be a disaster for taxpayers of Maryland. In order to get the Maryland FOP endorsement, he agreed to raise their pay without pushback...have fun, folks. YOu are on course for more crime (absolutely no cop will offer themselves up as a sacrificial lamb if prosecutors like Mosby prefer going after cops rather than murderers) plus higher taxpayer expense: lose/lose.

... yawn. Did anyone else hear a gnat fart?
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

muskyboy wrote
Skipping past the part where you are violating a central, cardinal ethic of teaching (just amazing actually), which is to never discuss a specific student in any public forum,
Pretty minor stuff in comparison to a lot of the other garbage you write, but who ever said this?
You're a smart boy, you know all about that never and always stuff.
Teacher...I taught Suzie Marvelousjugs in HS, she was an outstanding student and went on to become the CEO of Victoria's Secret.
What's the problem there?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:20 am ok, Petey.

You obviously don't know Maryland any better than you know New York.

Maryland's GOP has gone all-in whack MAGA job.
Huge disappointment for those who appreciated Hogan and the general competence he brought to the job.

But I'd argue that part of the 'fault' for that is that MD gerrymanders heavily and doesn't have rank choice voting...and yet, even then, we managed to elect a Hogan in response to O'Malley and a Dem legislature. And enthusiastically re-elect him.

But the GOP tacked hard right during the Trump era, despite Hogan showing how to avoid that stink.

I think Moore has the opportunity to be much better than O'Malley, attract much more competent people. It's all in the execution.

On the other hand, I think he'll be much more attuned to wealth gap issues, poverty drivers of crime, health care, etc disparities. Smart guy, I think he's likely to have some very smart policies, and will be able to communicate them as being on behalf of all of us, not just those impacted the most. And yeah, taxpayers will probably pay some more...but he's also going to be able to attract a lot of federal dough.
... he claims he will institute a required year of community service for kids after high school. I have been advocating in favor of this for decades, a mixing bowl before kids go off to college or full-time jobs. May be hard to pull off at the state level, we will see.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

DMac wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:32 am
muskyboy wrote
Skipping past the part where you are violating a central, cardinal ethic of teaching (just amazing actually), which is to never discuss a specific student in any public forum,
Pretty minor stuff in comparison to a lot of the other garbage you write, but who ever said this?
You're a smart boy, you know all about that never and always stuff.
Teacher...I taught Suzie Marvelousjugs in HS, she was an outstanding student and went on to become the CEO of Victoria's Secret.
What's the problem there?

Are you kidding? FERPA laws specifically prevent teachers from disclosing confidential or private information about any student in any public setting unless compelled by law. Teachers ought to be the most responsible social media users when it comes to their students, who have an absolute expectation and right to privacy. There are literal laws that address what this poster did.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:lol: :lol:

... neither DMACs nor my statement gave away any confidential information :roll: FERPA protects official records.

you are really really reaching. :lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:59 am
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:38 am
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:04 am
njbill wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:35 pm Maybe ggait or afan have better info.
...they're on their way to Pueblo now. They found a dancing drop box costume full of ballots that they're rushing to get counted.
Don't need to. The FBI "tricks voters" into not voting for Boebert. You forgot to set your tinfoil hat to setting "4" tonight, and are getting the wrong information from the CIA. Meet General Flynn at location 4 at midnight, and don't forget to change taxis on the way in.

You're about to find out why your team hasn't eliminated absentee voting in even one single State.......
...did you make it to Vegas in time for your ballot harvesting pickup at the Culinary Workers Union Hall ?
If you got 'em postmarked by midnight on Nov 8, they can still be counted if they arrive by Sat.
I'm surprised that you're posting!

Aren't you due in DC for your "million-baby march"? The event where a bunch of the "elections are bad" crowd show up, and at high noon the day after the elections, you all collectively wet your pants and scream "but Mommy, my team didn't win every election, and that's not FAIR!!!!" And then get to work making up "reasons" why it's un-possible that everyone you like didn't win their election. And then beam these reasons to the villagers using TinFoilHat broadcast channel 8.

You're the PERFECT representation of this group, since YOU enjoyed the absentee ballot system during your career......so naturally, being a 2022 Republican, you want to make sure that ONLY YOU get this voting right......and mock anyone else who dares to use this privilege that you enjoyed.

You have no idea how bad I felt....having let you down....but using Colorado's drop box system. Knowing that ONLY YOU are allowed to do this.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:05 am :lol: :lol:

... neither DMACs nor my statement gave away any confidential information :roll: FERPA protects official records.

more MERDE from elmopetey. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Such a buffoon in either incarnation. :oops:
elonmuskrockefeller

FERPA prohibits you from any social media mention of a student, good bad or indifferent. It's your legal risk to make mention of a guy. We can all agree that it's unethical.
a fan

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:52 am

FERPA prohibits you from any social media mention of a student, good bad or indifferent. It's your legal risk to make mention of a guy. We can all agree that it's unethical.
You post in this site's HS Forum all the time, Pete. You gonna turn yourself in for "mentioning a student, good bad or indifferent"?

You've probably on the hook for several felonies, according to Pete. We'll start you a GoFundMe page to help.
elonmuskrockefeller

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:59 am
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:52 am

You post in this site's HS Forum all the time, Pete. You gonna turn yourself in for "mentioning a student, good bad or indifferent"?

You've probably on the hook for several felonies, according to Pete. We'll start you a GoFundMe page to help.

What are you even talking about? I have never once posted in this site's "high school forum". Nor would I.

Can you folks stick to the topics here? Every reply seems so personal, rather than substantive. Man alive.
a fan

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:02 pm What are you even talking about? I have never once posted in this site's "high school forum". Nor would I.

Can you folks stick to the topics here? Every reply seems so personal, rather than substantive. Man alive.
:lol: Oh, my apologies, Pete.

How about this: people discuss HS students all day long on social media. Everything from winning a big game, to getting a nice scholarship, to dating their son/daughter. Even when they are academically ineligible. Facebook is FILLED with proud parents posting photos of K-12 activities.

You're simply wrong. Obviously so.
elonmuskrockefeller

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:08 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:02 pm What are you even talking about? I have never once posted in this site's "high school forum". Nor would I.

:lol: Oh, my apologies, Pete.

How about this: people discuss HS students all day long on social media. Everything from winning a big game, to getting a nice scholarship, to dating their son/daughter. Even when they are academically ineligible. Facebook is FILLED with proud parents posting photos of K-12 activities.

You're simply wrong. Obviously so.

TEACHERS are forbidden by law from discussing their students on social media. If they choose to violate the law, they expose themselves to legal repercussions if a student or their family wishes to sue, even if the mention was positive (students have a legal right to privacy).

Regardless of the law, it's simply unethical for any teacher to post negative commentary about a student.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:40 am
...they're on their way to Pueblo now. They found a dancing drop box costume full of ballots that they're rushing to get counted.
Don't need to. The FBI "tricks voters" into not voting for Boebert. You forgot to set your tinfoil hat to setting "4" tonight, and are getting the wrong information from the CIA. Meet General Flynn at location 4 at midnight, and don't forget to change taxis on the way in.

You're about to find out why your team hasn't eliminated absentee voting in even one single State.......
...did you make it to Vegas in time for your ballot harvesting pickup at the Culinary Workers Union Hall ?
If you got 'em postmarked by midnight on Nov 8, they can still be counted if they arrive by Sat.

Aren't you due in DC for your "million-baby march"? The event where a bunch of the "elections are bad" crowd show up, and at high noon the day after the elections, you all collectively wet your pants and scream "but Mommy, my team didn't win every election, and that's not FAIR!!!!" And then get to work making up "reasons" why it's un-possible that everyone you like didn't win their election. And then beam these reasons to the villagers using TinFoilHat broadcast channel 8.

You're the PERFECT representation of this group, since YOU enjoyed the absentee ballot system during your career......so naturally, being a 2022 Republican, you want to make sure that ONLY YOU get this voting right......and mock anyone else who dares to use this privilege that you enjoyed.

You have no idea how bad I felt....having let you down....but using Colorado's drop box system. Knowing that ONLY YOU are allowed to do this.
As usual, you misrepresent my position. I was never against absentee ballots. I objected to unsolicited mail in ballots.

If a state is going to use unlimited mail in ballots, they need to have the procedures & workforce to count the ballots within a reasonable time, like FL & MD have. Az, NV & CA fail. How's the Boebert count going in Pueblo County?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Sorry to see Tim Ryan lose to Vance. It'll be interesting to see Vance re-imagine (see? I'm being nice) himself over the next six years. But the Democrats owe Ryan an enormous thanks for making Ohio competitive and forcing the GOP to spend huge amounts of money to keep Portman's seat -- all dollars that may have helped in Nevada and Arizona and Pennsylvania.

The decision to bail on Bolduc in New Hampshire just made sense, if you understood the state.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Party of January 6 Appears to Have Taken the House. Prepare for the Crazy.
With Republicans ruling the roost in the House, deniers of reality—QAnonish crackpots—will be wielding subpoenas, holding hearings, and hurling allegations, all the while providing red meat for the Trump-loving right-wing media machine. It will be an orgy for Fox. Democracy and sanity will be at risk. Some Democrats have chortled that McCarthy, with such a thin majority, will face a mess of trouble becoming the speaker and then corralling the caucus. (With a tiny majority, a couple of insurgent extremists can easily issue demands that cause problems for McCarthy or whoever becomes speaker.) Yet within a chaotic caucus, extremist members could be further emboldened and more dangerous for democracy. Crazy will rule.

It’s not tough to predict the turmoil ahead—and the day after Election Day, there was a slight chance the Republicans could fall short of grabbing the House. Sure, Republicans have wreaked havoc in the past, and the nation survived. What’s more troubling now is that (once again) House Republicans may have successfully exploited fear, grievance, tribalism, resentment, and paranoia but this time to aggressively pursue an anti-democratic agenda and to support and bolster a thuggish leader whose goal is to return to power and attain some degree of authoritarian rule. Worse, despite Democratic gains elsewhere, their win in the House would convey an ugly and terrible lesson with dire consequences: Lying, cheating, sabotaging elections, whipping up groundless conspiracy theories, and arousing hatred and violence—these actions, individually and collectively, are not automatically disqualifying in American politics. If the party of January 6 has prevailed in what’s long been called the People’s House, American democracy will remain just as under assault as it was on that horrific and bloody day in 2021—perhaps even more so.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:23 pm Sorry to see Tim Ryan lose to Vance. It'll be interesting to see Vance re-imagine (see? I'm being nice) himself over the next six years. But the Democrats owe Ryan an enormous thanks for making Ohio competitive and forcing the GOP to spend huge amounts of money to keep Portman's seat -- all dollars that may have helped in Nevada and Arizona and Pennsylvania.

The decision to bail on Bolduc in New Hampshire just made sense, if you understood the state.
Vance has a cushy job as Senator-for-life, if he wants it & doesn't screw up.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm

As usual, you misrepresent my position. I was never against absentee ballots. I objected to unsolicited mail in ballots.

If a state is going to use unlimited mail in ballots, they need to have the procedures & workforce to count the ballots within a reasonable time, like FL & MD have. Az, NV & CA fail. How's the Boebert count going in Pueblo County?
Boebert down by 64 votes as of this AM with 99% in (including Mesa and Pueblo County). They have provisional and military mail ballots to count plus some ballots that heed to be cured for signature match estimated at 1,000 or so in the next few days. Likely will be a recount if it remains this close

CO is 100% mail-in ballot and has been for years (read ggait's material here as he is a CO resident as is my kid who also says its excellent) - their process is light years ahead of most other jurisdictions as good if not better than FL or MD
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:30 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:23 pm Sorry to see Tim Ryan lose to Vance. It'll be interesting to see Vance re-imagine (see? I'm being nice) himself over the next six years. But the Democrats owe Ryan an enormous thanks for making Ohio competitive and forcing the GOP to spend huge amounts of money to keep Portman's seat -- all dollars that may have helped in Nevada and Arizona and Pennsylvania.

Vance has a cushy job as Senator-for-life, if he wants it & doesn't screw up.
I don't disagree. He just plays his cards right and he can sit there and say sanctimonious stuff for years. A real contributor in the making.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:33 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm If a state is going to use unlimited mail in ballots, they need to have the procedures & workforce to count the ballots within a reasonable time, like FL & MD have. Az, NV & CA fail. How's the Boebert count going in Pueblo County?
Boebert down by 64 votes as of this AM with 99% in (including Mesa and Pueblo County). They have provisional and military mail ballots to count plus some ballots that heed to be cured for signature match estimated at 1,000 or so in the next few days. Likely will be a recount if it remains this close

CO is 100% mail-in ballot and has been for years (read ggait's material here as he is a CO resident as is my kid who also says its excellent) - their process is light years ahead of most other jurisdictions as good if not better than FL or MD
FL & MD have a hybrid system. You can vote by mail or in person. You just have to request a ballot. Painless.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm

As usual, you misrepresent my position.
And you didn't misrepresent mine? You complain about a lack of civility here....yet you're the one who keeps lobbing mortar fire at your fellow posters.
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm I was never against absentee ballots. I objected to unsolicited mail in ballots.
Right. A "different" poster named Old Salt keeps whining about ballot drop boxes. That's your story, is it?
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:21 pm If a state is going to use unlimited mail in ballots, they need to have the procedures & workforce to count the ballots within a reasonable time, like FL & MD have. Az, NV & CA fail. How's the Boebert count going in Pueblo County?
She's gonna win by a handful of votes. Know why? Absentee ballots the allow the State's elderly an easy way to cast their vote in rural areas---and these voters skew Republican. This is something I'm 100% behind. And is something YOU are pretending to be against. When you really don't care, and just want to whine with the rest of your team when you lose a race.

It's beneath you. You're not anywhere near this stupid. Our elections are great. Call me when your team refuses to take their seat when they win. Then, and only then, will I worry about our election system. Until then? This whole election fraud thing is the dumbest thing your team has come up with in their history. And that's saying something.

Return to “POLITICS”