2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:11 pm Boebert noses ahead by 36 votes, as counting stops for the day.
1800 (or +3200) remaining votes to be tabulated/counted tomorrow a.m.
Confusing report :
https://www.chieftain.com/story/news/lo ... 590894007/
Presumably there will be a recount however this plays out.

Boebert is a disgrace and hopefully she loses, but it's close.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Confusing, but from what I read and see on CNN Boebert is behind by 64 at this point, though she has substantially closed the gap. About 5000 ballots still to be counted (hopefully tomorrow). The tea leaves suggest she'll pull it out. Maybe ggait or afan have better info. Still, if I were her, I'd hold off on this year's Christmas card photo just yet.
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:35 pm Maybe ggait or afan have better info.
...they're on their way to Pueblo now. They found a dancing drop box costume full of ballots that they're rushing to get counted.

Then they're off to Maricopa County, AZ, to help count the late arriving mail in ballots.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:04 am
...they're on their way to Pueblo now. They found a dancing drop box costume full of ballots that they're rushing to get counted.
Don't need to. The FBI "tricks voters" into not voting for Boebert. You forgot to set your tinfoil hat to setting "4" tonight, and are getting the wrong information from the CIA. Meet General Flynn at location 4 at midnight, and don't forget to change taxis on the way in.

You're about to find out why your team hasn't eliminated absentee voting in even one single State.......
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:38 am
Don't need to. The FBI "tricks voters" into not voting for Boebert. You forgot to set your tinfoil hat to setting "4" tonight, and are getting the wrong information from the CIA. Meet General Flynn at location 4 at midnight, and don't forget to change taxis on the way in.

You're about to find out why your team hasn't eliminated absentee voting in even one single State.......
...did you make it to Vegas in time for your ballot harvesting pickup at the Culinary Workers Union Hall ?
If you got 'em postmarked by midnight on Nov 8, they can still be counted if they arrive by Sat.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:33 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:28 pm When I didn’t see Wolf Blitzer on CNN last night, I wondered if he, too, had been let go. He hasn’t, but I guess the new management has decided to put him out to pasture on election night. Looked him up and was surprised to see he is 74.

Only one election night to go by, but I like him better than Jake Tapper.
Definitely not Jake's forte (who I generally like0...though Wolf drove me crazy with the breathless 'breaking news'.

We watched some Fox (yikes!), OAN (hoo boy), CNN, and MSNBC this evening...MSNBC was by far the best coverage, best political insights, least 'inside-Beltway takes'. Not perfect, but big notch up from CNN...it was even more striking last night, we spent less time on CNN tonight as a result. Checked out the Fox and OAN coverage and hung in there...as my son said, they reach an enormous number of folks with such tripe every night. More than CNN and MSNB combined...scary, really. So dumb.
I heard a report that CNN & MSNBC did not televise Desantis' victory speech.
Too bad. FNC showed it. It sounded like a Pres campaign speech.

Phew ! Morning Joe tells us we are still a Western Democracy. I'm so relieved. I was really worried.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:48 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:18 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:09 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:24 am
DMac wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:11 am My hunch is Biden doesn't run again, musky. Christ almighty, he'll be 81....and running for another four year term?
I don't believe he even really wanted to run this time but the Ds saw him as the best bet (unbelievable in
itself) to get rid of the monstrous aszwhole that was in the office. I think he's done. If he's not, his campaign
slogan can be, METHUSELAH DID AND SO CAN I !!!
:lol: :lol: That made me 😂
... Joe will call it quits after his first term. Jill has likely had enough. Any democrat can now beat Trump. Trump is done being a problem for the democrats he is now exclusively a problem for his own party. Younger democrat can beat the Florida douche bag.

Assuming Biden calls it quits, he will leave office with an approval rating for job done at near 60%. History is going to place him among the most impactful and best presidents based on accomplishments.
If the Dems were smart, they'd find a way to keep Tim Ryan in the spotlight & nominate him for President in 2024.
?

He just lost a State that's a major key to the Presidency. If he can't win in Ohio, why would you think he'd win any other battleground States?
Because the rest of the country is not as blue as Ohio. He has the Dem chops based on his voting record & union support. He could bring the Reagan Dems back home. He's young, charismatic, & comes across as a straight shooter. He made what should have been a blowout a close race. Look at the margin DeWine had. He'd carry OH as a native son Pres candidate. He could bring the rust belt back to the Dems.
I don't know about running for President in '24, but he definitely should get a major role somehow...he's been mentioned for DNC Chair...I agree that he ran a terrific race and his core message can resonate beyond the rust belt. Ohio is an extremely difficult 'get' for Dems and he made it a contested situation without much national Dem support. He walks and talks authentic.

But he did not run on abortion, which was the big winning strategy for Dems. The Dems in Ohio didn't get an abortion initiative on the ballot, and they didn't make a central issue. The Ohio law is unpopular, and will cost many lives, but they didn't capitalize on the energy that was found in other states. Ryan has the right position on it, but didn't make it central.

But hey, Michigan without the gerrymandering is suddenly all blue. Pennsylvania maybe all blue... Interesting...
Catching up on my dvr cache, I just watched Nov 9th Morning Joe to see their reaction to the election results.
FTR -- I made the above observation before I saw Tim Ryan's concession speech.
Now that I've seen it, apparently I'm not Tim Ryan's only admirer.
Glad to see Chris Matthews back from exile.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:28 pm When I didn’t see Wolf Blitzer on CNN last night, I wondered if he, too, had been let go. He hasn’t, but I guess the new management has decided to put him out to pasture on election night. Looked him up and was surprised to see he is 74.

They gave him the night off. No clue why'd they be sucking up to Tapper who just bombed ratings-wise @ 9PM and is going back to 4-6PM.

Their new morning experiment is also not looking too good either. It also fared worse than the previous hosts did which isn't saying much as they were in last place. .

New management from Discovery is not known for patience and they a cutting costs big-time not only at CNN but Warner Bros, too. They cannot be happy about Election Night either - they got beat for the first time by MSNBC. In fact, they were second-to-last in viewership with only CBS having a smaller audience. PBS, NBC and ABC also beat them.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:59 am
a fan wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:38 am

...did you make it to Vegas in time for your ballot harvesting pickup at the Culinary Workers Union Hall ?
If you got 'em postmarked by midnight on Nov 8, they can still be counted if they arrive by Sat.
You need your glands expressed.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:11 am

They gave him the night off. No clue why'd they be sucking up to Tapper who just bombed ratings-wise @ 9PM and is going back to 4-6PM.

Their new morning experiment is also not looking too good either. It also fared worse than the previous hosts did which isn't saying much as they were in last place. .

New management from Discovery is not known for patience and they a cutting costs big-time not only at CNN but Warner Bros, too.
I heard the same “gave him the night off“ thing. Sure sounds like a euphemism to me.

Maybe they should bring back Larry King. Oh wait.

I saw something that CNN is no longer going to do documentaries. Too bad. Some of them were pretty good and interesting. Seems obviously to be a cost cutting measure.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:53 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:48 pm Pennsylvania maybe all blue... Interesting...
Well almost. Republicans have kept control of the Pennsylvania State Senate. Dems could be flipping the House blue though.

As has been widely reported, the Republicans really screwed up with their candidates for governor and US senator this year. Way back before there were any nominees, I thought that Shapiro, as the front runner for the Democratic nomination, was definitely beatable. Mastriano’s primary opponent (whose name I forget by now) would have run a much closer race against Shapiro who is a decent candidate, but rather bland.

On the Senate side, I wanted Conor Lamb to win the primary, not because I like him better than Fetterman, but because I thought he had a better chance to win in Pennsylvania. I was surprised the extent to which Fetterman mopped the floor with him in the primary.

As I always do with Pennsylvania politics, I give great weight to what my sister thinks. She’s a moderate Republican who lives in one of the collar counties outside of Philadelphia. She’s pretty in touch with how suburban women think and vote. She hated Trump and voted for Hillary and Joe. She said she thought Fetterman was pretty progressive, but that Oz was slimy. She thought that while Fetterman‘s performance in the debate was not good, she didn’t hold it against him because of his stroke. The fact that our parents both had strokes might have been a factor.

Today I learned that my very conservative nephew who is an ER doctor up in the Poconos voted for Fetterman because he thought Oz was a slimy quack. I was quite surprised as he is usually a straight Republican voter (though he says he didn’t vote for Trump).

Oz was another poor choice as a candidate. In addition to the fact that many thought he was slimy, he is a carpet bagger which does not play well in Pennsylvania. Had the Republicans nominated, say, McCormick who was Oz’s primary opponent, he might’ve beaten Fetterman.

Bottom line, though, is I would not say yesterday’s election indicates that Pennsylvania has turned blue. Pennsylvania is still very much a purple state. At this early point, I would say it is entirely up for grabs in 2024. What yesterday’s election of Shapiro does ensure, however, is that the 2024 vote counting in Pennsylvania will be on the up and up. The governor appoints the secretary of state who is in charge of the vote counting.
you're right of course, as usual. Dems didn't flip the Senate (only half up), but looks like they did the state House, the Senate race (so now 2), Governor, 9 of 17 federal House reps too. But I agree that doesn't make it 'blue' permanently...just that without the gerrymandering the Dems are winning...

of course, in NY, the redrawn districts gave the GOP wins.

Get rid of gerrymandering and go to ranked choice voting...and get rid of dark money!
Ahh well...
... the dems not gerrymandering was not for lack of trying. Maryland and New York were both "gerrymandered" to a point where what is going on in NY would have been impossible -- you know like Florida. Difference is local state (DEMOCRATIC) judges said hell no! Made Maryland and New York pull back. In Florida the REPUBLICON courts said sure, gerrymander away, whatever you want Ronnie.

Dems have no one to blame but themselves for what's going on in the house races in NY. Unilateral disarmament is never a good idea.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:21 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:11 am

New management from Discovery is not known for patience and they a cutting costs big-time not only at CNN but Warner Bros, too.
I heard the same “gave him the night off“ thing. Sure sounds like a euphemism to me.

Maybe they should bring back Larry King. Oh wait.

I saw something that CNN is no longer going to do documentaries. Too bad. Some of them were pretty good and interesting. Seems obviously to be a cost cutting measure.
I was waiting for Larry King to interview Chuck Grassley, the first all-dead interview.
njbill

Post by njbill »

:lol:
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

njbill wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:54 am:lol:
No kidding!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

old salt wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:24 am
DMac wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:11 am My hunch is Biden doesn't run again, musky. Christ almighty, he'll be 81....and running for another four year term?
I don't believe he even really wanted to run this time but the Ds saw him as the best bet (unbelievable in
itself) to get rid of the monstrous aszwhole that was in the office. I think he's done. If he's not, his campaign
slogan can be, METHUSELAH DID AND SO CAN I !!!
:lol: :lol: That made me 😂
... Joe will call it quits after his first term. Jill has likely had enough. Any democrat can now beat Trump. Trump is done being a problem for the democrats he is now exclusively a problem for his own party. Younger democrat can beat the Florida douche bag.

Assuming Biden calls it quits, he will leave office with an approval rating for job done at near 60%. History is going to place him among the most impactful and best presidents based on accomplishments.
If the Dems were smart, they'd find a way to keep Tim Ryan in the spotlight & nominate him for President in 2024.
... I like Tim Ryan and agree he is an asset, really thought he would win, but his loss in a state firmly in his wheelhouse doesn't make me see him as current presidential timber. He will be back, young guy. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Just checked with Vegas. The over/under on the number of additional Herschel Walker children who will be revealed before December 6 is one. The over/under for the number of newly revealed paid abortions is three. Not sure what the odds are for a parlay.

Surprisingly, I couldn’t get any odds on the number of new get well cards that will come to light.

Wonder if he would be doing as well if Georgia were having a bad football season. Inquiring minds want to know.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 pm About 2 months ago my wife and I met Wes Moore's mom, Joy, at the retirement party for one of our very good pals who has devoted much of her life to Baltimore City.

We were having a charity event at our home the next week on behalf of the Creative Alliance, an arts org in Baltimore we support, located at old Patterson Park theatre...32 seated outside for an 'Art to Dine For', with a chef from West Baltimore who was named "Cook of the Year" by Southern Living, a former NFL player turned artist/activist from West Baltimore, an African American sommelier who curates wines from around the world owned by, or imported by, black women, and an poet/activist from West Baltimore; storytelling, menu was foods inspired by her memories of her grandmother cooking...Joy asked to come and we made it happen, but made her promise to bring a couple of signs for Wes to combat the huge Dan Cox sign at one of our neighbors who had also held a massive fundraiser for him.

Another neighbor had told me, in a quite horrified voice, that someone had painted a swastika on the Cox sign and on her mailbox, which probably looked like same property as the sign. She was going to have to go to court...I asked, did they catch the guy, "yes", and in a hushed but urgent voice, "it was a Jewish man"...I said, "ohh, that's horrible and illegal... (couple of heartbeats) ...I guess he must have felt very strongly...". I asked her what she knew of Cox, not much apparently other than R...I asked her whether she knew that Hogan had said he was crazy and that no one should ever vote for him...no, she did not..."But I don't know anything about the Democrat other than he wrote a book". I said, well when he was a young boy he saw his father shot, he himself was in handcuffs at age 11, but then made it to Hopkins, played football, was a Rhodes scholar, then went into the Army where he served in Afghanistan...she said, "Ohh, I love that..." Perhaps I converted one vote.

When I told my Democrat son of the swastika, he asked "did they paint that on before or after they put the sign up"?

The good news is that Moore is the real deal, good soul, very bright...he should be able to attract a much better group of people into his Administration than had O'Malley, who I thought was disastrously bad at such. One of the big positives for Hogan was that he attracted competence, not as much partisan stuff as typical. Hopefully Moore will take a page from that playbook. Terrific communicator.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/09/opinions ... index.html

Our other favorite candidate this year was Brooke Lierman for Controller, who we'd met at a fundraising event by a fellow Dartmouth alum. My wife and I being old alums, Brooke being a young one! Very bright, passionate, thoughtful, hard worker. I think she's going to do a very creditable job for Maryland.
I went for Lierman in both primary and on Tuesday. Really like her.

I was originally skeptical of Moore, didn't support him in the primary, but I am very happy with him as things worked out. He has a great story and has the common touch. Very excited to see him as Governor. Could be special.

A wooden post could have beaten Cox. Really disappointed in what's left of the republican party in Maryland. But then again they have been electing Harris for a long time who is the worst kind of POS. I actually taught him undergraduate physics for pre-meds at Hopkins -- nothing to write home about.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:51 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:29 pm About 2 months ago my wife and I met Wes Moore's mom, Joy, at the retirement party for one of our very good pals who has devoted much of her life to Baltimore City.

We were having a charity event at our home the next week on behalf of the Creative Alliance, an arts org in Baltimore we support, located at old Patterson Park theatre...32 seated outside for an 'Art to Dine For', with a chef from West Baltimore who was named "Cook of the Year" by Southern Living, a former NFL player turned artist/activist from West Baltimore, an African American sommelier who curates wines from around the world owned by, or imported by, black women, and an poet/activist from West Baltimore; storytelling, menu was foods inspired by her memories of her grandmother cooking...Joy asked to come and we made it happen, but made her promise to bring a couple of signs for Wes to combat the huge Dan Cox sign at one of our neighbors who had also held a massive fundraiser for him.

Another neighbor had told me, in a quite horrified voice, that someone had painted a swastika on the Cox sign and on her mailbox, which probably looked like same property as the sign. She was going to have to go to court...I asked, did they catch the guy, "yes", and in a hushed but urgent voice, "it was a Jewish man"...I said, "ohh, that's horrible and illegal... (couple of heartbeats) ...I guess he must have felt very strongly...". I asked her what she knew of Cox, not much apparently other than R...I asked her whether she knew that Hogan had said he was crazy and that no one should ever vote for him...no, she did not..."But I don't know anything about the Democrat other than he wrote a book". I said, well when he was a young boy he saw his father shot, he himself was in handcuffs at age 11, but then made it to Hopkins, played football, was a Rhodes scholar, then went into the Army where he served in Afghanistan...she said, "Ohh, I love that..." Perhaps I converted one vote.

When I told my Democrat son of the swastika, he asked "did they paint that on before or after they put the sign up"?

The good news is that Moore is the real deal, good soul, very bright...he should be able to attract a much better group of people into his Administration than had O'Malley, who I thought was disastrously bad at such. One of the big positives for Hogan was that he attracted competence, not as much partisan stuff as typical. Hopefully Moore will take a page from that playbook. Terrific communicator.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/09/opinions ... index.html

Our other favorite candidate this year was Brooke Lierman for Controller, who we'd met at a fundraising event by a fellow Dartmouth alum. My wife and I being old alums, Brooke being a young one! Very bright, passionate, thoughtful, hard worker. I think she's going to do a very creditable job for Maryland.
I went for Lierman in both primary and on Tuesday. Really like her.

I was originally skeptical of Moore, didn't support him in the primary, but I am very happy with him as things worked out. He has a great story and has the common touch. Very excited to see him as Governor. Could be special.

A wooden post could have beaten Cox. Really disappointed in what's left of the republican party in Maryland. But then again they have been electing Harris for a long time who is the worst kind of POS. I actually taught him undergraduate physics for pre-meds at Hopkins -- nothing to write home about.

Skipping past the part where you are violating a central, cardinal ethic of teaching (just amazing actually), which is to never discuss a specific student in any public forum, you are "disappointed" with the Maryland Republican Party, yet the Democratic Party is okay? The same Democratic Party which oversees the City of Baltimore, which is again on pace to absorb well over 300 homicides in a city with a dwindling population and tax base:

https://www.wypr.org/show/midday/2021-0 ... res-fallen

I hope Wes Moore does well, but I think it is fair to assume he will be a disaster for taxpayers of Maryland. In order to get the Maryland FOP endorsement, he agreed to raise their pay without pushback...have fun, folks. YOu are on course for more crime (absolutely no cop will offer themselves up as a sacrificial lamb if prosecutors like Mosby prefer going after cops rather than murderers) plus higher taxpayer expense: lose/lose.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Welcome back Petey oe should we say elmopetey- will you be conversing with yourself when your other account comes off suspension next week? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ok, Petey.

You obviously don't know Maryland any better than you know New York.

Maryland's GOP has gone all-in whack MAGA job.
Huge disappointment for those who appreciated Hogan and the general competence he brought to the job.

But I'd argue that part of the 'fault' for that is that MD gerrymanders heavily and doesn't have rank choice voting...and yet, even then, we managed to elect a Hogan in response to O'Malley and a Dem legislature. And enthusiastically re-elect him.

But the GOP tacked hard right during the Trump era, despite Hogan showing how to avoid that stink.

I think Moore has the opportunity to be much better than O'Malley, attract much more competent people. It's all in the execution.

On the other hand, I think he'll be much more attuned to wealth gap issues, poverty drivers of crime, health care, etc disparities. Smart guy, I think he's likely to have some very smart policies, and will be able to communicate them as being on behalf of all of us, not just those impacted the most. And yeah, taxpayers will probably pay some more...but he's also going to be able to attract a lot of federal dough.

Return to “POLITICS”