2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by njbill »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:41 pm Again, I'd like to pay you a compliment. I think you have some of the best posts here, not partisan nor exaggerated, but very thoughtful. Your posts make me think and rethink my own thoughts, and that's appreciated.

I do think Trump will announce on the 15th. But I am not sold he can get funding any longer; you don't go far in politics without money. He's got enough today to last a while, just not two years. I'd like to see the GOP pull its support for his legal fees. He's burning close to $25 million every month right now for 11 different suits. If it goes personally criminal, no lawyer in their right mind will take the case without a massive retainer.

His upcoming announcement will obviously starve the room of oxygen at least for a few months, but I think he's miscalculating. It's way too soon. He will need massive $$ for a two year runway. Desantis has the luxury now of his own massive war chest with much more to come, as well as not having any need to entangle with national politics.

If Trump ran third party, he seals his fate...democrats win and he spends at least four more years under the DOJ gun. The GOP needs to pull funding, today.
I agree money for Trump could well become an issue at some point. But he got pretty far in 2016 before big outside money kicked in (can't recall when that happened).

I'm not so sure Trump would fare much better under a DeSantis DOJ. For one thing, the cases will be pretty far advanced by Jan. 2025 which could make them tougher to drop. For another, and this depends on how the relationship between the two of them has gone, DeSantis may want Trump prosecuted and jailed. And lastly it wouldn't surprise me if public sentiment by then favors prosecuting Trump.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Watching Petey grovel is interesting...we'd assumed that Petey just couldn't take being in the penalty box through the election, thus the new character, but perhaps it was so he could pretend he didn't make the red tsunami predictions and support for Trumpism further back...but then he trots out the exact same Pro-DeSantis stuff he'd pivoted to when Trump lost...exact same.

But still without any actual substance.

Trump's funding grift comes from small dollar donors, his hard core base. I don't see them switching to DeSantis as long as Trump is in play, whether GOP or third party.

Trying to be Trump, with all the "woke" BS, ain't enough. Not when the real deal racist, sexist, 'strong man' cult leader is available.

The dark money players, on the other hand, have already been investing in DeSantis...and it's pretty clear that's for an ROI.

Pence doesn't have a snowball's chance, but he'll pull some evangelical support in the primaries.

If any actual competent, rational Republicans run, that'll pull those votes in the more moderate GOP states (if any are left), which means that Trump might well win the GOP primaries again with 30-40% of the GOP vote.

I think the GOP will need to lose one more big time before there's any chance of real reform...the sh-tshow that's likely to be the House may make that inevitable.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

njbill wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:19 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:41 pm Again, I'd like to pay you a compliment. I think you have some of the best posts here, not partisan nor exaggerated, but very thoughtful. Your posts make me think and rethink my own thoughts, and that's appreciated.

I do think Trump will announce on the 15th. But I am not sold he can get funding any longer; you don't go far in politics without money. He's got enough today to last a while, just not two years. I'd like to see the GOP pull its support for his legal fees. He's burning close to $25 million every month right now for 11 different suits. If it goes personally criminal, no lawyer in their right mind will take the case without a massive retainer.

His upcoming announcement will obviously starve the room of oxygen at least for a few months, but I think he's miscalculating. It's way too soon. He will need massive $$ for a two year runway. Desantis has the luxury now of his own massive war chest with much more to come, as well as not having any need to entangle with national politics.

If Trump ran third party, he seals his fate...democrats win and he spends at least four more years under the DOJ gun. The GOP needs to pull funding, today.
I agree money for Trump could well become an issue at some point. But he got pretty far in 2016 before big outside money kicked in (can't recall when that happened).

I'm not so sure Trump would fare much better under a DeSantis DOJ. For one thing, the cases will be pretty far advanced by Jan. 2025 which could make them tougher to drop. For another, and this depends on how the relationship between the two of them has gone, DeSantis may want Trump prosecuted and jailed. And lastly it wouldn't surprise me if public sentiment by then favors prosecuting Trump.

I think public sentiment favors prosecuting Trump today. Desantis is no friend to Trump.

Trump was able to go far in 2015 because media places like MSNBC carried him every day. I don't see even Fox giving him airtime anymore.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Was looking into the news and see that right winger JD Vance won in Ohio. He had been endorsed by tRump. But interestingly, he did not acknowledge or thank the Chump in his victory speech! I wonder how that will be dealt with.
No problem for JD to keep shape shifting and re-branding himself with the prevailing wind. Remember that he first got famous as a Trump hater. Then said he had been wrong about Trump. Having gotten elected, he'll now dump Trump (or not) if that seems like the helpful thing to do.

You can say the same thing about pretty much all of his GOP Senate colleagues other than Mitt Romney.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
ggait

Post by ggait »

The GOP in Washington prays every night for Merrick Garland to indict Trump. They'd all love to see Trump gone -- so long as someone else does the deed. If MG does it, then they get the benefit of complaining how the Dem DOJ is out of control partisan persecutors.

If I were MG, I'd be sorely tempted to punt on indicting Trump. Make the GOP deal with their own Frankenstein.
Boycott stupid. Country over party.
njbill

Post by njbill »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:45 pm
I think public sentiment favors prosecuting Trump today. Desantis is no friend to Trump.

Trump was able to go far in 2015 because media places like MSNBC carried him every day. I don't see even Fox giving him airtime anymore.
Agreed sentiment today favors prosecution. I should have said sentiment will be even more in favor by Jan. 2025. The point I was trying to make is that it may be very unpopular by then to drop prosecutions of Trump. A newly inaugurated DeSantis (if he were to win) may not want to do something so unpopular.

Well, maybe. I think it will be hard for the media to avoid covering a Trump vs. DeSantis battle, especially if it gets nasty as it could well.

As MD notes, Trump gets a lot of his money from small donors. Will the spigot get turned off or will the flow slow? Eh, maybe, but I'm not so sure. He doesn't need lots of media coverage to keep going in the primaries. He may need it to do well in the primaries and he'd have to show electability (hard to imagine) to get the serious outside money, but my thesis is he'll continue in the primaries and then go third party (even if on a shoe string budget as all third party candidacies are) to assuage his ego, continue the grift, and try to claim he's being unfairly prosecuted for political reasons. I cannot see him supporting DeSantis or any other R candidate, and I can't see him sitting on the sidelines while others get all the attention. He's the quintessential "look at me, LOOK AT ME" type of toddler.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:25 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:14 am Life was better when women were barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen to you anyways so why you worrying about Chef Boyardee? Was it the move in those brilliant basket of tech stocks you crowed about for years as if it were financial wizardry?
My first wife rarely wore shoes when she was pregnant. It wasn't because we couldn't afford shoes, she preferred going barefoot on a warm sunny day. There was also that anomaly that some pregnant woman suffer with.. swollen feet.. that might explain the desire to go barefoot.
Beacuse they should be pumping out babies, making quality dinners and serving my drinks - nothing more. Of couse their feet should be swollen because they're supposed to work for men.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Wacky statement from MD GOP Gubernatorial Loser Cox:

https://twitter.com/DanCoxEsq/status/15 ... results%2F
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:15 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:25 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:14 am Life was better when women were barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen to you anyways so why you worrying about Chef Boyardee? Was it the move in those brilliant basket of tech stocks you crowed about for years as if it were financial wizardry?
My first wife rarely wore shoes when she was pregnant. It wasn't because we couldn't afford shoes, she preferred going barefoot on a warm sunny day. There was also that anomaly that some pregnant woman suffer with.. swollen feet.. that might explain the desire to go barefoot.
Beacuse they should be pumping out babies, making quality dinners and serving my drinks - nothing more. Of couse their feet should be swollen because they're supposed to work for men.
My ex wife making a quality meal would be a first for her. You must be including TV dinners as a quality meal.. FTR, I don't need any woman to cook my dinner, do the laundry and all those other little things some men think a woman should do. I've been doing it most of my life. The only dilemma I have today is my Italian wife won't give up control of her kitchen to anyone. My expertise is grilling.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:40 pm Wacky statement from MD GOP Gubernatorial Loser Cox:

... the guy is a Christian fascist wackadoodle, just making sh*t up. :roll: Had no chance since the day he declared. The fact that he received the backing of Maryland republicans means Maryland has the republiCON disease as bad as most states.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I don't know the law/rules related to their appointment, but would it not make sense to appoint a special counsel in order for the investigations to survive a change of party president in 2025?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:48 pm
Was looking into the news and see that right winger JD Vance won in Ohio. He had been endorsed by tRump. But interestingly, he did not acknowledge or thank the Chump in his victory speech! I wonder how that will be dealt with.
No problem for JD to keep shape shifting and re-branding himself with the prevailing wind. Remember that he first got famous as a Trump hater. Then said he had been wrong about Trump. Having gotten elected, he'll now dump Trump (or not) if that seems like the helpful thing to do.

You can say the same thing about pretty much all of his GOP Senate colleagues other than Mitt Romney.
Funny how Mittens is such a beloved individual in the eyes of
FLP Democrats. You sure despised him to no end when he was running for POTUS. It proves to me you folks know a chump when he falls into your lap.
Bob Ross:
elonmuskrockefeller

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:53 pm

FLP Democrats. You sure despised him to no end when he was running for POTUS. It proves to me you folks know a chump when he falls into your lap.

:lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:54 pm

He's obviously speaking to Romney voting to impeach Trump for his obvious abuse of power.

Yet another place where Pete can't keep his stories straight: I thought you told us that standing up to Trump's corruption was good, and that the party should move on from Trump. Which is what Romney tried to do.

Turns out nope, you think Romney should have fallen in line. To the shock of no one, forever a Trumpster.

SUCH a bad troll. :lol: So bad, that you troll yourself. It's really breathtaking, Pete.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Jim Messina, Obama consultant, claims Biden is going to run again, and that he should. Biden has already been talking to democratic donors who are on board.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
njbill

Post by njbill »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:41 pm

I don't know the law/rules related to their appointment, but would it not make sense to appoint a special counsel in order for the investigations to survive a change of party president in 2025?
I would think that should only occur if there is some type of conflict of interest, which I don’t think will happen.

I think the John Durham appointment was an abuse of the system. Would not recommend it.
elonmuskrockefeller

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:04 pm

He's obviously speaking to Romney voting to impeach Trump for his obvious abuse of power.

Yet another place where Pete can't keep his stories straight: I thought you told us that standing up to Trump's corruption was good, and that the party should move on from Trump. Which is what Romney tried to do.

Turns out nope, you think Romney should have fallen in line. To the shock of no one, forever a Trumpster.

SUCH a bad troll. :lol: So bad, that you troll yourself. It's really breathtaking, Pete.

How do you read so much into a laughing emoji post? I was simply laughing at Cradle's funny post.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The harsh criticism of Romney is mine to own all by myself. Romney is a nice guy who needs to go on Ebay and find a spine. The only hard core stance he has ever had is his dislike for the dumpster. It is no wonder Democrats like him so much. He is the Republican they know they can beat with one hand tied behind their back. To Romney's credit he knows how to compose a really well written concession speech.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:43 pm

The harsh criticism of Romney is mine to own all by myself. Romney is a nice guy who needs to go on Ebay and find a spine. The only hard core stance he has ever had is his dislike for the dumpster. It is no wonder Democrats like him so much. He is the Republican they know they can beat with one hand tied behind their back. To Romney's credit he knows how to compose a really well written concession speech.
Romney got more of a percentage of the US population than Trump did in 2016.....47% v. Trump's 46%

He'd beat Biden, if you ask me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU88 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:40 pm Wacky statement from MD GOP Gubernatorial Loser Cox:

Pretty insane...he can't understand how he could have lost... :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”