Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpere

Re: Navy 2019

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 am Laxpere - sorry I didn’t reply earlier. Emphatically disagreed with and was equally embarrassed by the heckling at Loyola game. So NO, I DO NOT CONDONE THAT BEHAVIOR.
Youth,
Sorry for my delayed response, but I am glad to hear that you don't condone the heckling/harassment. Wish the other guy would reply too because I think there are no winners when bs like that happens.
youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 am Your comment about coaches win practices and players win games. That was point a few posts back.....I do not believe the practices and non-game lax stuff is pushing the players to continue to grow beyond the tunnel vision of what our offense schemes have currently been over the past handful of years. Again, the square peg, round hole theory. That does not mean I dislike RS, it means, as you...there is a ton of talent.....so let’s allow it, teach it, and encourage it to be put on display.
I also hear you on the development necessary during practices. My point is the coach isn't out there and players have to execute and make plays in the heat of the battle. Tough to place all of the blame on the coach, especially when there have been so many mental errors. As you point out, still too many TOs, not caused, so this week needs to be better.
EastCoastLaxFan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am Gutsy performance by the Mids up at Colgate!!! The character that makes up these young men was shown this past weekend in Hamilton.
I hope we can look back at this game and relate it to how the season has gone for the Mids... Somewhat strong start out of the gates, a lull that created some doubt (yes, I was VERY nervous the 5-goal blown lead would demoralize the team & potentially knock us out of the PL Tournament), and a strong finish which was lead by Upperclassman.
With Colgate out of the way, we are now on to the most exciting week of the year!!!!!
Army-Navy WEEK! 100th meeting ever, tradition like no other! Navy released a "throwback" uniform this morning that will be worn for the game so the guys in the locker-room should be excited (although, we know they are already itching to get to battle).
I think these teams matchup very well. Similar to the Mids, Army has a great mix of Youth & Upperclassman which makes them tough.
Can we get some predictions for this weekend? Attendance, Over/Under, final score??
Plenty of others have chimed in about last week, but I agree with EastCoastLaxFan and will weigh in with a +++ since runrusselrun is keeping score. A solid victory that probably extended the season beyond BU. It was nice to see the Mids play with more vigor and step up big time against Colgate.

What a game, or three games within a game! Navy won the first 28 minutes by 8-3, Colgate won the next 17 minutes by 8-1 and then the Mids turned a huge stop on man down at the start of 4Q into a quick goal by 6 to start a 7-0 run to finish it out.

As pointed out by many others, including OldSalt and you, 16 played great, including on the wing, and he set the tone with the first goal. It was also good to see more rotation in the lines, with 40 connecting with 7 for a goal, and others giving the first line a rest. Maybe that was one of the reasons for the strong finish and 6 breaking out? Anyone see any reasons for the lull in late 2Q and all of the 3Q?

I am so happy that the Mids played through the adversity during the middle of the game and didn't give up the ship like the Colgate announcers thought they would. In the end, the defense held together in 4Q, 4 rebounded on FOs, 24 was clutch, and 6 and 8 all stepped up when it really counted to lead.

As HealthyDebate said, let's have a complete game this week! The game uniforms look great and congrats to the equipment team. Regardless of what they wear, the Mids will bring it with total enthusiasm on Saturday. I will be looking for the recent funks to disappear and cheering for a strong finish to the season.
Go Navy, beat Army!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
laxxygilmore

Re: Navy Lacrosse 2019

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: I would really like to see Torain pulled from the wing and get a gritty guy in there that just gobbles up GB's....I would love to see Mona 20' in that roll.
It would be great if another Steve Looney or Matt Bitter emerged in that role. It was like they had an afterburner. They didn't dance around & box off their man, they'd go into a GB scrum, at what looked like full speed, then tap the 'burner for a burst of acceleration, & emerge out the other side with the ball. They were difference makers in that role. They were GB machines.
by old salt » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:08 pm

D-middies looked good. ...16 Alexander looks promising in this new role.
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 pm ...the friggen wings on faceoff never seem to win the GB when its a 3v3 fight. Barry held his own for sure. Maybe we need 3 SS's out there that are fighters, we seem to watch the other teams players and not have a grit for the ball, we lost quite a few possessions on missed GB opportunities.
Go back in the video archives & put together a reel of how Steve Looney & Matt Bitter used to do it. For inspiration, if nothing else.
I'd try #16 on the wing.
.:mrgreen:. ...Whew !
Excellent points as usual by youthathletics and old salt, especially regarding Torain and Alexander respectively…too bad most of your solid suggestions over the past several seasons on LP and now FanLax have fallen on deaf eyeballs at Ricketts. :shock:

Interesting and understandable to see the enthusiasm for #32 Navy @ 5-5/.500 W @ 16-11 over #44 Colgate (#54 on FanLax) @ 3-7/.300. The game was on it’s way to being a rout by Navy (as it should have been vs. a #44/#54 opponent) until it wasn’t, especially pitting a seasoned 20 year head coaching veteran vs. a first year head coaching rookie. As it turns out, this game was one of the better “Bottom 43 vs. Bottom 43” match-ups for the weekend and brings Navy’s W-L record vs. “Bottom 43” teams to…

Vs. “Bottom 43” teams so far in 2019 @ 5-1/.833
(Rankings based on Massey)
• #43 Vermont (Navy W @ 13-8)
• #53 UMBC (Navy W @ 11-6)
• #41 Bucknell (Navy W @ 14-8)
• #61 Lafayette (Navy W @ 12-7)
• #35 Holy Cross (Navy L @ 12-9)
• #44 Colgate (Navy W @ 16-11)
#32 Navy outscoring the above by an average score of 12.5 to 8.6 (or 3.9g/gm) so far in 2019, with no other games remaining from that “Bottom 43” group on the Navy 2019 regular season schedule.

Coach Sowell’s Navy overall record from 2012–2019 to date vs. “Bottom 43” teams is now at 33-8/.805, within his overall W-L @ 53-54/.495 record for the past 7+ seasons (107 games) to date, including 2019 @ 5-5/.500 as of 4-10-19.

Unfortunately, the flip side of the above are the Navy vs. “Top 30” results under Coach Sowell below…

Vs. “Top 30” teams so far in 2019 @ 0-4/.000
(Rankings based on Massey)
• #4 Maryland (Maryland W @ 14-9)
• #24 Princeton (Princeton W @ 19-11)
• #2 Loyola (Loyola W @ 18-5)
• #18 Lehigh (Lehigh W @ 15-8)
#32 Navy being outscored by the above by an average score of 16.5 to 8.2 (or 8.3g/gm) so far in 2019, with #22 Army; #8 Syracuse; #26 Boston remaining from that “Top 30” group on the Navy 2019 regular season schedule. Is a 3-0 run possible for the remaining regular season schedule?...yes, it’s just that these are all far better teams than the “Bottom 43” and that will indeed be the better test to greatly improve from the 0-4/.000 record vs. “Top 30” teams so far in 2019. So we’ll see in the weeks ahead.

Coach Sowell’s overall Navy record from 2012-2019 to date vs. “Top 30” teams is now at 20-46/.303, within his overall W-L @ 53-54/.495 record for the past 7+ seasons (107 games) to date, including 2019’s regular season record @ 5-5/.500 as of 4-10-19.
(Including 0-8/.000 vs. Maryland from 2012-2019)…that “Reppert Factor” is still a factor for Coach Sowell since 2015.
(Including 1-5/.166 vs. Hopkins from 2012-2017…Hopkins dropped after 2017…will they ever be back vs. Navy during Coach Sowell’s tenure?
(Including 1-5/.166 vs. Loyola from 2014-2019)
Record alone vs. Maryland + Hopkins + Loyola (aka, “Top 20” teams within “Top 30” from 2012-2019) totals @ 2-18/.100 of the 20-46/.303 overall within vs. “Top 30” teams from 2012-2019 to date.

As for Navy vs. Army under Coach Sowell 2012-2018...
Overall vs. Army Games W-L***********************4-5/.444 ...w/ N* game Navy W's in 2015-2018.
(Outscored overall by Army 88-70 or 9.7 to 7.7 avg./gm)
PLT Army Games W-L********************************0-2/.000
(Outscored Overall in PLT by Army 20-10 or 10.0 to 5.0 avg./gm)…L’s to Army in PLT when it mattered most.

Mids 9 - Black Knights 8 … in OT for the 100th Anniversary? … or maybe a Mids runaway 14-7?

I like Navy’s chances of a sweep over Army today at NMCMS. The WLax Mids under the reliable leadership of head coach Cindy Timchal @ 10-3/.769 and 4-1/.800 in the PL are spooling it up for another NCAAT run.

So...
WLax Mids 14 – Black Knights 7
MLax Mids 9 – Black Knights 8 … or maybe 14-7 too!
...either way, it's the Mids' Day.
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Who the hell is this r3 poster?

I liked r2 far better.

r3 can’t carry r2’s jock strap. Only a sniffer.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

1 Day Away.....and its very quiet here.
Mids 10 Army 6

The men of the Mids are turning a new leaf.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Was just comparing stats between the two during lunch.

Shooting stats = edge Army
Man up = edge Navy
GB's = Edge Army
TO's = Edge Navy
CTO = Edge Army
Clears = Edge Army
Penalties - Edge Navy
FO's = Edge Navy
Save % = Edge Army (very close)

Navy attackman impact rating is higher
Navy Midfielder impact rating is higher
Army Defenseman impact rating is higher

Navy advantage in Time of possession
Pace Efficiency edge to Navy

Because this is Army/Navy, the stats get flushed. I think this game comes down to fundamentals: Which defensive unit chases stick the least plays position and matches feet, gobbles up the most GB's, and creates the least amount of TO's. Wing play will again be HUGE.

I could see an OT, just because it's Army Navy. But sure hope for Navy win regardless. I try not to pick scores in these games...because in the end, when the game uniforms are off, these guys are on the same team.

Have fun and embrace this rare opportunity in your lives.

#GoNavyBeatArmy #SingSecond
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

+1. Well said indeed.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Well played Youth +1 , fully concur

Acme will be hopping tonight. All the fellas are back in town.

Go Navy Beat the Mules from Hooterville on the Hudson !

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:01 pm Have fun and embrace this rare opportunity in your lives.
#GoNavyBeatArmy #SingSecond
Great advice. I sure hope that Healthy is right.
Place will be buzzing and both teams are ready to duke it out. It is going to be a special day.
Winners, no matter the outcome.
Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Dang. When you can't watch the game live on CBSSN, there's no replay, so I just looked up the box score. Looks like a great second half comeback but the Mids couldn't get the win in OT, but looking forward to more from those who were there or at least could watch the game.

Patriot League Tournament bracketologists, what are Navy's chances of getting a spot in the PLT if they beat BU (which, I assume, they must do to qualify?).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The Orfling: I have zero connection to Navy and have never posted. I’m a Loyola fan but mostly I like good lacrosse. I watched the Army game today. I certainly mean no disrespect but the Navy team I saw today was as bad a team in D1 I’ve ever seen. Let’s skip past the dropped passes and failed clears. What was stunning to me is Navy waited on most control offensive possessions to about 10 seconds left on the shot clock to do something. It was insanely bad coaching. And I have no dog in the hunt here. If you watch this game you’ll be stunned Army didn’t win by a dozen or more.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 pm The Orfling: I have zero connection to Navy and have never posted. I’m a Loyola fan but mostly I like good lacrosse. I watched the Army game today. I certainly mean no disrespect but the Navy team I saw today was as bad a team in D1 I’ve ever seen. Let’s skip past the dropped passes and failed clears. What was stunning to me is Navy waited on most control offensive possessions to about 10 seconds left on the shot clock to do something. It was insanely bad coaching. And I have no dog in the hunt here. If you watch this game you’ll be stunned Army didn’t win by a dozen or more.
Thanks, Peter. It sounds like it would have been frustrating for me to watch as a Navy fan. It's always hard to get a sense of the game from the box score, but from the paper record it looks like Navy's goaltender stood on his head and kept them in it; that they had a solid ride (Army failed on 6 clears per box score); and the edge of face-offs, but were outshot, had a very long fallow stretch on offense with a goose egg second quarter, and a lot of turnovers (22 to 17 for Army).

The two main teams I follow are Yale (alma mater) and Navy (live close enough to have gone to many games in the past 20 years). I've said it before but feel even more strongly that Navy's head coach could profitably take a leaf from the book of Yale's excellent head coach, Andy Shay. Shay turned the corner as a head coach in large part, he has said, when he focused on running the overall program and did not try to run his defense directly. Similarly, I'd like to see Navy's HC not just loosen the reins, but actually turn over control of his offense to a talented offensive thinker. The offense is quite predictable and Navy seems to have guys with enough talent to benefit from a little more creativity in the scheme.

I know it's a tall order for the Mids to beat a BU team getting stronger down the stretch, but I'm hoping the season doesn't end without a chance to play in the PLT.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Navy's offense fails to consistently get good looks in big games far too often. Even the last time Navy did make the NCAA tournament they relied on Casey Rees scoring from ridiculous range to get the job done. Today they barely if ever beat an Army defender in a 1v1 and when they did they didn't press it and turn it into good looks. The way they handle Torain is inexcusable. He's out of gas by the 4th quarter. Wade, who is typically pretty solid, had a nightmare of a game. Navy has enough talent to be better than that.

On the other end they relied way too much on Kern. Again this has been a trend going back to John Connors who often bailed them out. My opinion is long term problems in college sports are coaching problems. If it was the players things would change as different sets of players role through but I see similar issues with Navy time and again.

Navy has Boston to finish their Patriot League schedule. Win and they make the tournament but a loss means they aren't guaranteed as Bucknell can win out and send them home. Either way a trip to either BU or Army feels beyond this team. No PL tournament should be the end for Sowell. A second loss to Army could be as well.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 pm The Orfling: I have zero connection to Navy and have never posted. I’m a Loyola fan but mostly I like good lacrosse. I watched the Army game today. I certainly mean no disrespect but the Navy team I saw today was as bad a team in D1 I’ve ever seen. Let’s skip past the dropped passes and failed clears. What was stunning to me is Navy waited on most control offensive possessions to about 10 seconds left on the shot clock to do something. It was insanely bad coaching. And I have no dog in the hunt here. If you watch this game you’ll be stunned Army didn’t win by a dozen or more.
Thanks, Peter. It sounds like it would have been frustrating for me to watch as a Navy fan. It's always hard to get a sense of the game from the box score, but from the paper record it looks like Navy's goaltender stood on his head and kept them in it; that they had a solid ride (Army failed on 6 clears per box score); and the edge of face-offs, but were outshot, had a very long fallow stretch on offense with a goose egg second quarter, and a lot of turnovers (22 to 17 for Army).
Good call Peter & Iguana. That was one of the most frustrating Navy games I've ever witnessed.
It woke up this dozing frog.

That the game went to overtime is a testament to one of the best performances I've ever seen by a Navy goalie,
& the raw athleticism (e.g. ride), skill & uncoordinated efforts of a great bunch of young warriors who would not quit.
Barry won 14 of 20 FO's, yet Navy was outshot 48 to 35. Kern made 18 saves: Barretto only had to stop 9.
So much talent & potential -- squandered. Turn the heat up & put this old frog out of his misery.
Last edited by old salt on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The Patriot League Tournament takes the top six teams, so Navy should make it. However, they will likely have to play in the opening round. Someone mentioned Sowell above. While I am not saying definitely, I am wondering if a big factor in his future is whether or not Navy makes the conference tournament semis.
old salt

Post by old salt »

HC, Navy, & Bucknell or Colgate could end up in a 3 way tiebreaker at 3-5, for the #5 & #6 seeds.

Iguana is accurate -- Loyola, Lehigh, BU & Army all have at least 4 PL wins already.
A Navy loss to BU in 2 wks, means most likely a trip to Army or BU for a rematch, or not making the PLT.

Jobu est mort, to be joined soon by the sleepy frog.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I was at the game, just re-watched the first half, and I am still scratching my head on what exactly happened in that serious of events 1st qtr, where Army scored, then started with the ball at midfield, no f/o, 6v6 with no flag down. I heard it was some type of dead ball issue, but a flag was not thrown, no man down. On the 1st goal, Kern slides across goal line and hits the far side vertical pipe during the slide and the cage moves about 2 inches...is that a dead type foul w/immediate free clear for opposing team?

Is there some rule where if the goalie moves the cage inadvertently he is still charged with a dead ball foul?

Additionally, the first foul on #17 was BS. #17 tries to pick up loose ball in the air with Army Goalie, contact is made stick2stick with ball in the air, ....slow whistle in effect. #17 picks up ball, whistle blown...ball awarded to Army. Army Goalie leaves his crease and picks up the ball, quick re-start whistle is blown with #17 in-between Army Goalie and crease line, Army Goalie makes contact with #17 actually pushing him into the crease, #17 had no where to go but into the crease to avoid any contact, flag on #17. Heads up play by Army goalie, poor call by official.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am I was at the game, just re-watched the first half, and I am still scratching my head on what exactly happened in that serious of events 1st qtr, where Army scored, then started with the ball at midfield, no f/o, 6v6 with no flag down. I heard it was some type of dead ball issue, but a flag was not thrown, no man down. On the 1st goal, Kern slides across goal line and hits the far side vertical pipe during the slide and the cage moves about 2 inches...is that a dead type foul w/immediate free clear for opposing team?

Is there some rule where if the goalie moves the cage inadvertently he is still charged with a dead ball foul?

Additionally, the first foul on #17 was BS. #17 tries to pick up loose ball in the air with Army Goalie, contact is made stick2stick with ball in the air, ....slow whistle in effect. #17 picks up ball, whistle blown...ball awarded to Army. Army Goalie leaves his crease and picks up the ball, quick re-start whistle is blown with #17 in-between Army Goalie and crease line, Army Goalie makes contact with #17 actually pushing him into the crease, #17 had no where to go but into the crease to avoid any contact, flag on #17. Heads up play by Army goalie, poor call by official.
Navy Lax Twitter page said Army was awarded the ball after the goal due to a Navy player saying something to an official. I thought something was either a penalty or not, don't recall ever seeing a team get to start with the ball after a goal otherwise it was bizarre.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Pensky Material wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am I was at the game, just re-watched the first half, and I am still scratching my head on what exactly happened in that serious of events 1st qtr, where Army scored, then started with the ball at midfield, no f/o, 6v6 with no flag down. I heard it was some type of dead ball issue, but a flag was not thrown, no man down. On the 1st goal, Kern slides across goal line and hits the far side vertical pipe during the slide and the cage moves about 2 inches...is that a dead type foul w/immediate free clear for opposing team?

Navy Lax Twitter page said Army was awarded the ball after the goal due to a Navy player saying something to an official. I thought something was either a penalty or not, don't recall ever seeing a team get to start with the ball after a goal otherwise it was bizarre.

I believe if a NAVY player said something he would have received a 30 second ( half bird ) conduct foul . i was there also and nobody in our entourage could explain it . I hope either IL or Wags prints something on what the call was.

Very pleased for Cindy and her team . Caught the last 15 mins and they are impressive . CHT was running around like he just won the lottery after that game but wasn’t visible after the Men’s loss. Go figure !

Not much to add other than we were all amazed on the turnover right after the MLAX T/O . Can’t make that stuff up.

Very angry group of Alums at the tailgater and downtown later.

I was wishing better things for the players but it wasn’t to be.

Argh

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

I was at the game and saw a great performance by the Navy goalie. Without his acrobatics it would have been 10-3 at the half at least...I concur that the Mids spent way too much time out on the perimeter practicing passing instead of probing and probing to get inside...That type of offense (such as it is) has been going in for years...
At one point in the game, the goalie was going at the official for some infraction or situation. He kept it up and that's when some kind of penalty was awarded and Army got a free clear....Seems like it was a poor choice of words....
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Kern was exceptional and I would add (as he said in his post game interview and comments) the defense was giving him the shots he could save. I don’t want to discredit the job they did. Nick Barry battled at the x. He was a warrior. Feel for the kid he was visibly upset and being consoled by Coach Wellner during the Blue and Gold.

Turnovers snuck up and bit us. That’s the story in most of the games.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”