Yale 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Yale 2019

Post by The Orfling »

calourie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:26 pm Hard fought 17-12 win over a very game Brown team. ILT clincher. Hoyt Crance, Gaudet, Morrill, Sessa and Td share the game ball. Starr was leaky which made the D look worse than it was, before he was replaced by Crance with the score 9-8. Too many high to high shots in the second half. Goss is a very good, very tall goalie, Yale student-lacrosse players should be able to do the math. O looked a bit lost when Brandau and then Gaudet (benched for much of the second half for this 2nd unsportsmanlike chirping penalty) were out. Brown with their typical feisty effort against Yale. I like where the team is right now though today had some sketchy elements. Knuckle down and win the last three regular season games, starting with an Albany team who has some very talented players and will be playing at home with an enormous chip on their shoulders.
Every observation you make is spot on, calourie. Not much new to add, but expanding on the unsportsmanlike penalty: As much as I generally like Yale's sense of feisty swagger, when your man down defense is close to the bottom of DI to date you've got to be smarter. #44 was MVP of the NCAA Championship weekend last year and his "songbird" tendencies are well known at this point -- hopefully he will keep that joyful confidence he shows but be a bit more circumspect. Yale was absolutely rolling at the point of that penalty, and that quick EMO goal that Brown got really put them back in the game and contributed to a more tense fourth quarter. Brown is a dangerous team.

On Senior Day, it was terrific in particular to see senior Thomas Duran get his first career goal in the waning moments of his game and witness his teammates celebrating with him. And what a huge game for Hoyt Crance on Senior Day. It's always a tough thing to pull a goalie, but the flip side of a tough day for #23 was that Crance got a chance to come up big for the team.

And lastly, in addition to those you identified for "game balls," a shout-out to the Captain, Daniggelis, for some outstanding play in transition (two plays that came to mind are when he stole back a teammate's turnover and fed Sessa for a doorstop goal, and a great freight train hero clear in the 4th Q).
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

What a splendid April afternoon for lacrosse! After an overnight rain, then an overcast misty morning, the sun came out and smiled on us. By the second half, almost all of the fans were in short sleeves, and it felt wonderful, like the lacrosse games I attended as a kid growing up in a college town. Maybe the weather was almost too nice for the Elis? It seems that Yale won without firing on all cylinders; and considering those two very late goals, the 17-12 scoreline seems to flatter Yale a bit. But credit also to Brown, who gave the sort of full effort that one normally associates with Yale. I thought Yale's defense played better in front of Crance than in front of Starr, with Crance's performance being the pleasant surprise of the day for my money. Also, a loud shout of praise for Aidan Hynes: the statistics say that he had three grounds balls (all of them seemed massive) and four caused turnovers, and I thought he was the best defensive player on the field today. It was also nice to see Neuman take two or three FOs, including one in the first half. I was sitting in a "mixed" section of the stands, with both Brown fans and Yale fans; all of us were confused by, and thoroughly unimpressed with, the officiating. Not that it favored either team, but really, the Ivy League should... okay, enough. Congratulations to Thomas Duran on scoring, and to the entire Yale team for booking a place in the ILT. And well done, Aidan Hynes.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Had the pleasure of taking the game in today... what a great day and atmosphere for the kids to play in! Fun game to watch not having an allegiance to either team. The one sequence of plays that I felt was the turning point. 1. Yale middie makes a diving play to keep an otherwise turnover in bounds, teammate scoops up ground ball, fast clear, leading to a goal. 2. TD wins the following faceoff for a fast break and scores! giving the Eli's a 2 goal swing from what was a Brown possession. That diving play, again was just an awesome effort and what I love about watching these kids play. Good luck in the ILT.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Ditto on today's posts of the game vs Brown. Very nice to see Crance get the win with his six saves and important contributions. Good decision by the coaching staff. Not too worried about Starr, just an off-day. Happy to see the goal by Duran on senior day. A bit better on man down D, but, of course, would have preferred not having the personals. Overall, good game, but, still concerned about numerous high-to-high shots that either sail by or laser into the goalie's crosse. Maybe I should give up on the team's shooting as it doesn't look it"s changing. Looking forward to Albany.
Lux et veritas
calourie

Post by calourie »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:57 pm What a splendid April afternoon for lacrosse! ... Also, a loud shout of praise for Aidan Hynes: the statistics say that he had three grounds balls (all of them seemed massive) and four caused turnovers, and I thought he was the best defensive player on the field today... well done, Aidan Hynes.
I DID notice Aiden's play today, I simply forgot about him when I was handing out the game ball(s).
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

Great game Yale! Some observations:

*35 getting runs at close D in place of 10 and others.

*47 is awesome with the stick and I thought the close D played an excellent game with tons of CTs from good slides.

*TD’s goal after a faceoff win at the end of the first half should make future opponents tremble.

*TD signing autographs after the game.

*My 5-year old son saw the goalie switch coming after the first half, but Star is still the man.

*Yale in general seems to slow the game down.

*41 was already directing the offense in some phases.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

#44 is a heck of a player, but I have been amazed by his lack of sportsmanship throughout the season. He had 2 unsportsmanlike penalties today for chirping, including one that involved him walking over near the Brown bench to give some choice words to the Brown players and coaching staff after the end of the 3rd period which led to a 1 minute unreleasable. You'd figure that would be the end of the day for him, but he was put back in with 5 minutes to go when it became apparent that the Yale offense was stalling without him. I'm all for winning, but the Yale coaching staff is not doing that kid any favors. Glad to see the officials take a stand to stop it.
Other than that, it was a nice win for Yale and they are a very good team. #6 is possibly the best player in college lacrosse and the biggest offseason pickup in sports since LeBron went to Miami! Good luck the rest of the way and hopefully Bruno can make it to the ILT for a possible rematch.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty bold call IDS. Will go along with the biggest off season pick up part, but best player in college lacrosse? If I've got the best player in college lacrosse, I'm not bringing him off the field after he wins the face off.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Regarding #44 Gaudet, yes, he had a very effective scoring game; he'd done some chirping at the Brown bench that went unpunished earlier in the game, before the unreleasable penalty. He is a junior now, and I also remember him trash-talking his previous two years. However, such talking was generally confined to the defenders near him, in and around the crease. The opposing team's bench is right under the stands, where the fans sit. I don't presume to suggest how Shay and his staff should handle this, but I think that The Orfling makes a good point. I'd also say that while winning is nice, it isn't everything.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Unfortunately par for the course. You have to commend Shay for the program he has built, but the way they can do a much better job of how they carry themselves.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

At the ILT last year there were several young Yale lacrosse alums heckling Coach Murphy of Penn very loudly from the stands right behind the bench almost the entire game during the semifinal. The taunts were directly targeted at the coach not the team and often referred to his job security using very foul language. It made for a very uncomfortable situation as a spectator and went on the entire game even when the game was clearly out of reach for Penn (actually got much worse then). Several young kids were also within earshot and no one from the Yale coaching staff or more mature Yale fan section said anything and it wasn’t as if they couldn’t hear it. I have no problem with someone talking trash on the field during the game or a student section getting rowdy, but this behavior from former players crossed the line IMO in the same way #44’s act has.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

DMac, the worth of a FOGO versus an offensive or defensive player is always up for debate. When, however the player wins +70% (actually 77%) and averages close to 15 GBs per game, then he clearly becomes part of the discussion for the best player Tewaaraton Award. When Ierlan transfered to Yale, some on the former Laxpower forums were likening it to Kevin Durant going to the Warriors.

As for the chirping and foul mouths, this is generally not the type of character I know these Yale lacrosse players and alumni to possess. I say that because I can't equate this to the numerous players I know, their volunteering, unselfish acts, their respect for parents, kids, and fans (i.e. Ierlan signing autographs, for example). For active players, I do wish they would keep it on the field as part of the game. For the fans and alumni, I wish they would take out the foul mouth part of the it. Also, I agree, the alumni should not be getting on any coach or at least keep it clean and within the bounds of the game: example, the always expressive and Ivy League-missed Lars Tiffany who would stomp and jump around and get on the refs on many calls - really miss that - always garnered active crowd feedback).
Lux et veritas
DMac

Post by DMac »

Mid-Lax wrote
DMac, the worth of a FOGO versus an offensive or defensive player is always up for debate.
Yes, a never ending debate for sure. Have absolutely nothing against TD, has absolutely mastered his trade, think he's a fine young man too (I like his GK brother too). Respect the FOGOs and what they do but have a hard time considering one the best player in the game. Two recent examples by another Ivy team are today's Cornell win and their win over Harvard. 0-12 at the X and up 5-3 at one point v Harvard, and completely dominated again by ND today at the X. The FOGO can be a big deal...but kinda not too.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Yale has had the rep of excessive chirping for years...surprised Shay allows it...is a discredit to the program...Yale is not a Final Four calibre team this season ....
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Final Four quality team or not, there is no reason to be running their mouths. Let your play do the talking.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

I’m of the opinion that Yale has earned the right to chirp. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea but if you want to shut them up then beat them (See Cornell’s dismantling of Yale in last years ILT, the usually boisterous bench was noticeably deflated.) Haven’t seen anything from Shay that would indicate a disrespect for the game or other players/coaches.

Re: Gaudet, seems to me he was handled appropriately this weekend. Obviously the game was marked on his calendar after the hit in 2018. He got out of hand and Shay pulled him for an important chunk of the game. Not sure what else you’d want to see from the Yale staff.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

For everyone's information, Guadet actually uttered zero words to the Brown bench. If you were at the game, the ref'ing was ridiculously one-sided.

There is history between Brown alums and Yale alums that obviously you are not privy to nor need to be. Any one recall how Guadet was laid out on the Brown field last year? Offender got a minute and should have been tossed from the game.

Have you ever been at a Brown game when the far sidelines are loaded with students? How about the recent Penn game when what we can all guess were football players lining the railing were calling out "over-rated"to Guadet and the entire team. It is part of the game. F'bombs are unacceptable but before you call out Yale and pretend that the rest of the Ivy fans and players are saints, attend a few more games.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Counselor wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm Yale is not a Final Four calibre team this season ....
Pretty harsh early assessment counselor. Last year after the Bucknell loss or after the ILT trouncing by Cornell, you could have made the same assessment. I think they have a good shot, as do almost two handful of other teams.
Lux et veritas
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

'seriously?', good observation on Gaudet and you are correct on the game vs Penn and any year at Brown. Which is why it is always such a great place to play.
Lux et veritas
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Gaudet is a player I'd love, if he were on my side. But I'd tell him to keep his mouth shut and let his playing do the talking. I've seen Yale play in person and online many times over recent years. Gaudet has been a chirper from day one freshman year, before Ntshaykolo (?) laid him out with a wicked cheap shot last year. I didn't see the second half of yesterday's game but noted in the first half Gaudet basically walking inside the crease and staring Goss down while mouthing off after he or someone else on the Yale team scored. I wondered why the refs didn't say anything. Apparently they ultimately did. Also noticed the young Brandau (a fantastic player as well) doing the same. Maybe learning from upperclassman leadership?

I'll just say this, I don't think anyone in this country sees the Yale men's lacrosse team as a group that needs any kind of swagger. They've got the world by the balls. Seriously, what's their gripe and how are they an underdog in any way??

Also, why is Gaudet wearing a dog collar? Serious question.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”