Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by faircornell »

another fan wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:28 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:15 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am Cornell is a land grant college. So is MIT and Tuskegee.

In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students, in-state tuition is available for in state students etc.

Cornell would recruit some athletes into the contract schools for that reason when i was in college. The lax team would occasionally get some lax players from Farmingdale ( hope that is the right one). A few first teamers. Other schools referred to it as a farm school. MIT is pretty good company to be in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land-grant_university
Cornell's statutory colleges apply the same admission standards for New York residents and every other applicant. There are not lower admission standards for NY residents. New York residents attending the statutory colleges pay lower tuition - about 1/3 less than normal full undergraduate tuition ($42,000 vs $62,000). That's all. Admission standards and acceptance rates are the same regardless of the state of residence. And Farmingdale has no connection to Cornell nor was there a pipeline from Farmingdale to Cornell. Farmingdale high school's best lax players over the years attended Hopkins (John DeTomasso), Syracuse (Steve Panell) and Duke (Matt Danowski).
I think the reference to Farmingdale as a many years ago feeder of lacrosse players to Cornell was meant to be Farmingdale CC, not high school. While a few players started at Farmingdale CC, there was more of a flow from Nassau CC, including some greats like Craig Jaeger. That path is ancient history now.
Yes... Nassau CC was more of a feeder than Farmingdale, but players came from both and they were both powerhouses. Nassau and Farmingdale CC players populated a lot of DI after CC graduation.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:54 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:45 am I think you need to reread my post.

I said others would refer to Farmingdale as a feeder school. Richie would add an occasional top player from there. Perhaps you have a recency bias.

When Cornell was recruiting people i knew, including me, they would offer offer the contract schools to some if they did not think they could be accepted otherwise. Ad i said in my note that was when i was in school. Personally i had a Regents Scholarship and was Valedictorian. Canadians on my teams generally applied to the contract schools. Things have changed since then i am sure, Our daughter was recruited by Cornell

This might help: standards are different for the contract schools.

“At Cornell, selectivity varies by school.

The endowed schools at Cornell are: College of Arts & Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Hotel Administration, and the College of Architecture, Art & Planning.

The New York State Contract Schools are: College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS), College of Human Ecology, and the School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR).

The most selective schools at Cornell for admissions are:

College of Arts & Sciences
College of Engineering
College of Architecture, Art & Planning

Less selective schools at Cornell are (but still selective):

College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS)
College of Human Ecology
School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR)
School of Hotel….”

https://www.solomonadmissions.com/corne ... admissions
I think the point Chousnake was making is that admission standards in the contract schools apply equally to in-state and out-of-state applicants. Tuition is lower for in-state students, but admission standards are the same. In an earlier posting, you had said: "In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students..."
Thank you. That was exactly my point in response to the comment that admissions were less onerous for in-state students.

Also, some programs or majors in the statutory colleges are extremely selective. The Dyson School, which is part of CALS, has (for years) the lowest acceptance rate at Cornell - about 2-3 %. As usual, facts and context are crucial.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

I said others would refer to Farmingdale as a feeder school. Richie would add an occasional top player from there. Perhaps you have a recency bias.

When Cornell was recruiting people i knew, including me, they would offer offer the contract schools to some if they did not think they could be accepted otherwise. Ad i said in my note that was when i was in school. Personally i had a Regents Scholarship and was Valedictorian. Canadians on my teams generally applied to the contract schools. Things have changed since then i am sure, Our daughter was recruited by Cornell

The endowed schools at Cornell are: College of Arts & Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Hotel Administration, and the College of Architecture, Art & Planning.

The New York State Contract Schools are: College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS), College of Human Ecology, and the School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR).

College of Engineering

College of Human Ecology
School of Hotel….”

I think the point Chousnake was making is that admission standards in the contract schools apply equally to in-state and out-of-state applicants. Tuition is lower for in-state students, but admission standards are the same. In an earlier posting, you had said: "In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students..."
ALMOST OT & LONG. TL;DR: Cornell has an important & unique place in the history of higher education. Understanding its philosophy and structure is crucial for appreciating its historical role.

Several people have commented on my use of "sigh." I used it mainly because the same misunderstanding/characterization of Cornell has been discussed on Fanlax and Laxpower forums several times before.

I also used it because there seems to be considerable misunderstanding of Cornell, even among some of its own alums!

Finally, I used it because, although Cornell has been called "the first American university" and credited with providing the template for U.S. research universities from 1865 through at least WWII, it nonetheless has some relatively unusual characteristics, which are lost and underappreciated when it is mischaracterized.

For example, I graduated from Cornell's College of Engineering in the 1960s with New York State paying all my tuition. This is because I won three Regents scholarships, which are based on required regents exams taken in high school. As a high-school guidance counselor partly explained it to me, virtually everyone wins the Regents' Scholar Incentive Award, and better students win Regents Scholarships. But the amounts awarded depend on need. IIRC, incentive awards ranged from $100 to $300 per year, and Regents Scholarships ranged from $200 to $800 per year. But a third scholarship, Regents Scholarships at Cornell University, are reserved for Cornell students who are the highest-scoring students in each of New York's state congressional districts. It also awarded up to $800 per year. Because my family was poor, I maxed out on the need portion of all three, at a time when annual tuition was under $1,800 per year. So, even though Engineering is not a contract college, New York state still gave its students extra support because they attended the state's land grant university.

On another personal note, because I had a Regents Scholarship, my father had confined my college search to New York State. Years later, when my brother was applying to college, I informed my parents that the Ivy League colludes on financial aid. I pointed out that Columbia had offered me a private scholarship roughly equal to the Regents at Cornell scholarship. Since neither of my parents had graduated college, they had no idea. As a result of being several years older than my brother and having attended Cornell, by explaining how the system worked, I opened the door for him to attend Yale.

A second, closely related example is Cornell's genesis. Ezra Cornell never graduated high school, but he was quite bright. He couldn't support his family from solely his family farm, so he became a sales representative for a plow that dug a hole, put a seed in it, and covered it up. This led him to have a contact in Maine whose cousin was the first Professor of Fine Arts in the U.S. (at NYU) and who, on a trip to Paris to study art, had seen a telegraph demonstration. The cousin returned to the U.S. and used his contacts to get Congress to fund a demonstration project running telegraph wire from D.C. to Baltimore. Cornell's contact asked him to design something like a plow that would dig a trench, lay telegraph cable in it, and cover it up. Cornell did so, and the cousin hired Cornell as foreman for the demonstration project. But the cousin soon realized that the cable available in North America was too poor for this application. So, Cornell researched and proposed using poles and glass insulators instead. The cousin agreed, and the two men went on to found Western Union. They both became fabulously wealthy and retired early -- the cousin, who's name was Samuel Morse (ever heard of him?) retired to a mansion overlooking the Hudson, and Cornell bought a farm he'd always admired, on the top of East Hill, overlooking Lake Cayuga.

This led to Cornell running for the state legislature, where he was assigned to the Agriculture Committee. The legislature had already chosen a land-grant college -- "The People's College" located in Havana, New York -- but the man in charge, Charles Cook (AFAIK, no relation to the Cornell hockey player by that name), had a stroke, which delayed the project. Concerned about the delay, the committee proposed something like the Massachusetts model, with a technical school in Havana and an agricultural school in Ovid, NY. Cornell offered to donate $300K to the Ovid school, and the committee selected him to propose the idea to the Literary Committee, which made recommendations to the legislature about all proposed schools and libraries in the state.

But the Chair of the Literary Committee, Andrew Dickson White, had been a critic of U.S. higher education since his freshman year at Geneva College. He held two degrees from Yale, had been a professor at Michigan, and had spent three years in Europe with his Yale classmate -- Daniel Coit Gilman, who would become the second president of California's land grant university (Berkeley) and then founding president of Johns Hopkins -- mostly spending time at leading universities to see what they were like. At Michigan, White had hosted visiting scholars brought to Ann Arbor to enrich Michigan's offerings, and while doing so he found himself at the center of a movement to reform U.S. higher education.

So, when Cornell came to visit him and propose two land-grant institutions, White rejected Cornell's proposal. From Whites writing, we know what he had in mind instead:
  • The school's mission would be as a place where people pursued "truth for truth's sake"
  • To accomplish this, the school would be free from external, potentially corrupting influences, especially religious, political, and commercial influences
  • It would also need to be "broad and balanced," including all areas of higher education and being balanced between them
  • It would also be open to all kinds of people, regardless of race, creed, gender, etc.
  • It would strive to achieve and maintain the highest academic standards possible
At the time, this was a very radical idea. Every other major institution of higher education had some religious affiliation. White went on to become Cornell's first president and established now-familiar innovations like electives, departments, and faculty research.

(BTW, after White retired, Leland & Jane Stanford offered him the position as Stanford's founding president. He declined, but one of his former students, David Starr Jordan, took the job. When Stanford began operation, almost 50% of its faculty were former Cornell professors. Had White taken the position, AFAIK, he would have been the only person in U.S. history to found 2 world-class universities.)

White sold Cornell on this idea, and Cornell upped his offer to $500K plus his farmland high above Cayuga's waters. But the two men still faced the political problem posed by the People's College. Although the People's College was delayed, the delegation from Havana would fight losing this investment in their area.

The problem was solved when a Dr. Willard came to the legislature to appeal for support of a humane insane asylum and dropped dead while speaking. White won approval for a bill to memorialize Dr. Willard by diverting funds set aside for the People's College to establish a Willard Asylum and use Ezra Cornell's contribution to establish the state land grant university. As part of this legislation, White added the congressional-district scholarships for students at Cornell.

Notice that the idea of contract colleges allows state support but shields against political interference. Ask students and faculty at the University of Florida how much they like politicians being able to intervene directly in university affairs.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Ezra White wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:20 pm

College of Engineering

College of Human Ecology
School of Hotel….”

ALMOST OT & LONG. TL;DR: Cornell has an important & unique place in the history of higher education. Understanding its philosophy and structure is crucial for appreciating its historical role.

Several people have commented on my use of "sigh." I used it mainly because the same misunderstanding/characterization of Cornell has been discussed on Fanlax and Laxpower forums several times before.

I also used it because there seems to be considerable misunderstanding of Cornell, even among some of its own alums!

Finally, I used it because, although Cornell has been called "the first American university" and credited with providing the template for U.S. research universities from 1865 through at least WWII, it nonetheless has some relatively unusual characteristics, which are lost and underappreciated when it is mischaracterized.

For example, I graduated from Cornell's College of Engineering in the 1960s with New York State paying all my tuition. This is because I won three Regents scholarships, which are based on required regents exams taken in high school. As a high-school guidance counselor partly explained it to me, virtually everyone wins the Regents' Scholar Incentive Award, and better students win Regents Scholarships. But the amounts awarded depend on need. IIRC, incentive awards ranged from $100 to $300 per year, and Regents Scholarships ranged from $200 to $800 per year. But a third scholarship, Regents Scholarships at Cornell University, are reserved for Cornell students who are the highest-scoring students in each of New York's state congressional districts. It also awarded up to $800 per year. Because my family was poor, I maxed out on the need portion of all three, at a time when annual tuition was under $1,800 per year. So, even though Engineering is not a contract college, New York state still gave its students extra support because they attended the state's land grant university.

On another personal note, because I had a Regents Scholarship, my father had confined my college search to New York State. Years later, when my brother was applying to college, I informed my parents that the Ivy League colludes on financial aid. I pointed out that Columbia had offered me a private scholarship roughly equal to the Regents at Cornell scholarship. Since neither of my parents had graduated college, they had no idea. As a result of being several years older than my brother and having attended Cornell, by explaining how the system worked, I opened the door for him to attend Yale.

A second, closely related example is Cornell's genesis. Ezra Cornell never graduated high school, but he was quite bright. He couldn't support his family from solely his family farm, so he became a sales representative for a plow that dug a hole, put a seed in it, and covered it up. This led him to have a contact in Maine whose cousin was the first Professor of Fine Arts in the U.S. (at NYU) and who, on a trip to Paris to study art, had seen a telegraph demonstration. The cousin returned to the U.S. and used his contacts to get Congress to fund a demonstration project running telegraph wire from D.C. to Baltimore. Cornell's contact asked him to design something like a plow that would dig a trench, lay telegraph cable in it, and cover it up. Cornell did so, and the cousin hired Cornell as foreman for the demonstration project. But the cousin soon realized that the cable available in North America was too poor for this application. So, Cornell researched and proposed using poles and glass insulators instead. The cousin agreed, and the two men went on to found Western Union. They both became fabulously wealthy and retired early -- the cousin, who's name was Samuel Morse (ever heard of him?) retired to a mansion overlooking the Hudson, and Cornell bought a farm he'd always admired, on the top of East Hill, overlooking Lake Cayuga.

This led to Cornell running for the state legislature, where he was assigned to the Agriculture Committee. The legislature had already chosen a land-grant college -- "The People's College" located in Havana, New York -- but the man in charge, Charles Cook (AFAIK, no relation to the Cornell hockey player by that name), had a stroke, which delayed the project. Concerned about the delay, the committee proposed something like the Massachusetts model, with a technical school in Havana and an agricultural school in Ovid, NY. Cornell offered to donate $300K to the Ovid school, and the committee selected him to propose the idea to the Literary Committee, which made recommendations to the legislature about all proposed schools and libraries in the state.

But the Chair of the Literary Committee, Andrew Dickson White, had been a critic of U.S. higher education since his freshman year at Geneva College. He held two degrees from Yale, had been a professor at Michigan, and had spent three years in Europe with his Yale classmate -- Daniel Coit Gilman, who would become the second president of California's land grant university (Berkeley) and then founding president of Johns Hopkins -- mostly spending time at leading universities to see what they were like. At Michigan, White had hosted visiting scholars brought to Ann Arbor to enrich Michigan's offerings, and while doing so he found himself at the center of a movement to reform U.S. higher education.

So, when Cornell came to visit him and propose two land-grant institutions, White rejected Cornell's proposal. From Whites writing, we know what he had in mind instead:
  • The school's mission would be as a place where people pursued "truth for truth's sake"
  • To accomplish this, the school would be free from external, potentially corrupting influences, especially religious, political, and commercial influences
  • It would also need to be "broad and balanced," including all areas of higher education and being balanced between them
  • It would also be open to all kinds of people, regardless of race, creed, gender, etc.
  • It would strive to achieve and maintain the highest academic standards possible
At the time, this was a very radical idea. Every other major institution of higher education had some religious affiliation. White went on to become Cornell's first president and established now-familiar innovations like electives, departments, and faculty research.

(BTW, after White retired, Leland & Jane Stanford offered him the position as Stanford's founding president. He declined, but one of his former students, David Starr Jordan, took the job. When Stanford began operation, almost 50% of its faculty were former Cornell professors. Had White taken the position, AFAIK, he would have been the only person in U.S. history to found 2 world-class universities.)

White sold Cornell on this idea, and Cornell upped his offer to $500K plus his farmland high above Cayuga's waters. But the two men still faced the political problem posed by the People's College. Although the People's College was delayed, the delegation from Havana would fight losing this investment in their area.

The problem was solved when a Dr. Willard came to the legislature to appeal for support of a humane insane asylum and dropped dead while speaking. White won approval for a bill to memorialize Dr. Willard by diverting funds set aside for the People's College to establish a Willard Asylum and use Ezra Cornell's contribution to establish the state land grant university. As part of this legislation, White added the congressional-district scholarships for students at Cornell.

Notice that the idea of contract colleges allows state support but shields against political interference. Ask students and faculty at the University of Florida how much they like politicians being able to intervene directly in university affairs.
Thank you
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

CU88 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:41 am
Ezra White wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:20 pm

College of Engineering

College of Human Ecology
School of Hotel….”

Thank you
"The school's mission would be as a place where people pursued "truth for truth's sake"
To accomplish this, the school would be free from external, potentially corrupting influences, especially religious, political, and commercial influences"

Crazy talk. It's all engineering and business, right? Screw that dirty, dirty "liberal" arts...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
molo

Post by molo »

I’m sitting in the Newark airport reading an article about how Yale deals with students with significant mental health issues. Basically, if you seek help for suicidal ideation, you are strongly encouraging to withdraw and must reapply with the possible of not being readmitted. I can see both sides of the issue. The school is understandably concerned about repercussions as mental health issues are increasing while society becomes more litigious, but it did make me wonder how Ivies are dealing with the readmission of athletes who withdraw to preserve eligibility. Do they have to reapply formally.
Just the musings of a not especially stable guy waiting for a train.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

molo wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:02 pm I’m sitting in the Newark airport reading an article about how Yale deals with students with significant mental health issues. Basically, if you seek help for suicidal ideation, you are strongly encouraging to withdraw and must reapply with the possible of not being readmitted. I can see both sides of the issue. The school is understandably concerned about repercussions as mental health issues are increasing while society becomes more litigious, but it did make me wonder how Ivies are dealing with the readmission of athletes who withdraw to preserve eligibility. Do they have to reapply formally.
There was an OPED article in the Cornell Daily Sun noting that Cornell has a silent policy to decline students who describes mental health challenges in their essays. Just a note following yours.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

faircornell wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:25 pm
molo wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:02 pm I’m sitting in the Newark airport reading an article about how Yale deals with students with significant mental health issues. Basically, if you seek help for suicidal ideation, you are strongly encouraging to withdraw and must reapply with the possible of not being readmitted. I can see both sides of the issue. The school is understandably concerned about repercussions as mental health issues are increasing while society becomes more litigious, but it did make me wonder how Ivies are dealing with the readmission of athletes who withdraw to preserve eligibility. Do they have to reapply formally.
There was an OPED article in the Cornell Daily Sun noting that Cornell has a silent policy to decline students who describes mental health challenges in their essays. Just a note following yours.
ugh. you can bet they're not the only school in the country.
molo

Post by molo »

IL, at least on the basis of their top 50 list, seems to think 2023 will be another big year for the Ivies.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

molo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 pm IL, at least on the basis of their top 50 list, seems to think 2023 will be another big year for the Ivies.
And still licking ND’s taint.

“They won their final six games, with five of those vs. the ACC. Kavanagh had 40 points in that stretch — including 10 points against Syracuse in the Dome. ”

Never mind the ACC wasn't very good (by historical standards) last year.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:31 pm
molo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 pm IL, at least on the basis of their top 50 list, seems to think 2023 will be another big year for the Ivies.

“They won their final six games, with five of those vs. the ACC. Kavanagh had 40 points in that stretch — including 10 points against Syracuse in the Dome. ”

I would take any of the top 5 defensemen over Kavanaugh,
easily,
they’d have much more of an impact on any team,

its a great year for top, very talented defensemen.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:31 pm

notre dame does look loaded for next year. tough out.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Athletic scholarships for Ivy League??

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2022/12/ ... vy-league/
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:14 pm Athletic scholarships for Ivy League??

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2022/12/ ... vy-league/
What do you think of the 2:00 game? Brazil got complacent. Didn’t defend with urgency and failed to mark runners.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Anecdote: At the NCAA Tourney opening press conference in 2003 at the Power Plant in Baltimore the host, who used to call games on ch 13. Was doing introductions. He introduced Bill T and gave his resume including his 2002 Title win. John D was introduced next and asked how he had lost the 2002 title after the game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Terrific schedule. Consecutive games against the national-champion Terps, Georgetown and NJ rivals Rutgers lead into the gauntlet that is Ivy League competition. And for the Ivy-gap Saturday, Syracuse is a nice addition to schedule. The Princeton faithful should be excited about 2023!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:22 am
Terrific schedule. Consecutive games against the national-champion Terps, Georgetown and NJ rivals Rutgers lead into the gauntlet that is Ivy League competition. And for the Ivy-gap Saturday, Syracuse is a nice addition to schedule. The Princeton faithful should be excited about 2023!
Tough schedule.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Curious about NIL in the Ivy League and hoping to hear perspectives from you all on this.

My belief is that Ivies could totally crush the NIL game in non-rev sports because of the amazing alumni networks across the schools. However, my sense is that the Ivy administrators have kept NIL at an arm's length. It's not that they'll say collectives can't be established as much as they have yet to actively encourage programs from having collectives set up.

What do you all hear among the respective programs you support?
Typical Lax Dad

Wheels wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:50 pm Curious about NIL in the Ivy League and hoping to hear perspectives from you all on this.

My belief is that Ivies could totally crush the NIL game in non-rev sports because of the amazing alumni networks across the schools. However, my sense is that the Ivy administrators have kept NIL at an arm's length. It's not that they'll say collectives can't be established as much as they have yet to actively encourage programs from having collectives set up.

What do you all hear among the respective programs you support?
NIL collectives are a sham. A friend has been the lead donor for a major hoops program. What the system has evolved into isn’t what administrators and athletic staffs had in mind. I don’t believe you will see Ivy League schools looking to find a way to pay athletes to play for their schools. I may be wrong but I don’t see it. You need to be paid to play squash at Harvard? Really?
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”