D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Gobigred wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:51 pm
Gobigred wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am Cornell is a land grant college. So is MIT and Tuskegee.

In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students, in-state tuition is available for in state students etc.

Cornell would recruit some athletes into the contract schools for that reason when i was in college. The lax team would occasionally get some lax players from Farmingdale ( hope that is the right one). A few first teamers. Other schools referred to it as a farm school. MIT is pretty good company to be in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land-grant_university
Whatever the reality is, it only works as an effective "donkey punch" to Cornell folks becuase they seem to care too much about protecting and declaring their private status. If they let their actions on the field and as people stand on their own and let this slide like water off their backs the conversation would stop pretty quick.
It would stop quicker without your unnecessary postings. Accuracy matters, in case you haven't noticed over the last six or so years.
Just to be clear, I didn't mind Ezra's correction a bit...the "sigh" was unnecessary, but the correction was appreciated at least by me. I didn't intend to misstate, just pointing out that these questions are more complicated than what one might assume.

I don't think there's any need to be defensive, at least in terms of my intent. It had nothing to do with any sort of criticism; never occurred to me.

From a lax perspective, I, too, recall that Cornell was able to pull a few players into those colleges. Helped, at least in eras past...I'd think it might still?
It also helps that the AI is calculated on the entire undergrad body, which enables CU to have a slightly lower AI than any of the other Ivies. But it's still darn high, so no need to be defensive.
Who's defensive? Everything you wrote above is true. I didn't like Farfrom's unnecessary assertion that Cornell guys are "defensive" about the fact that Cornell is contracted to operate a number of schools for the state. We just like it expressed correctly, as Ezra did. We understand the advantage it gives in recruiting within New York.
There was never any critique by me intended. And the correction was appreciated. The 'sigh' was a bit much, but accuracy is appreciated, especially when I've said something incorrect.

But is there a defensive aspect to the precision of "private" with "state contracts" vs "state colleges"? Or is this more like us Dartmouth folks insisting on "College" vs "University"? I was unaware of any sensitivity at CU on this topic, not sure why there would be, but every institution has its quirks.
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

The University of Maryland College Park is also a Morrill Land Grant university. So does that mean they won the National Championship because all those recruits from the state of Maryland got guaranteed admission and maybe a tuition break?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Cost can be a significant factor eg instate public school
tuition vs private school tuition.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

The IVY's allowance for 5th years to play extend to all classes that lost seasons to covid?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:05 am
Gobigred wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:51 pm
Gobigred wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:53 am Cornell is a land grant college. So is MIT and Tuskegee.

In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students, in-state tuition is available for in state students etc.

Cornell would recruit some athletes into the contract schools for that reason when i was in college. The lax team would occasionally get some lax players from Farmingdale ( hope that is the right one). A few first teamers. Other schools referred to it as a farm school. MIT is pretty good company to be in.

Whatever the reality is, it only works as an effective "donkey punch" to Cornell folks becuase they seem to care too much about protecting and declaring their private status. If they let their actions on the field and as people stand on their own and let this slide like water off their backs the conversation would stop pretty quick.
It would stop quicker without your unnecessary postings. Accuracy matters, in case you haven't noticed over the last six or so years.
Just to be clear, I didn't mind Ezra's correction a bit...the "sigh" was unnecessary, but the correction was appreciated at least by me. I didn't intend to misstate, just pointing out that these questions are more complicated than what one might assume.

I don't think there's any need to be defensive, at least in terms of my intent. It had nothing to do with any sort of criticism; never occurred to me.

From a lax perspective, I, too, recall that Cornell was able to pull a few players into those colleges. Helped, at least in eras past...I'd think it might still?
It also helps that the AI is calculated on the entire undergrad body, which enables CU to have a slightly lower AI than any of the other Ivies. But it's still darn high, so no need to be defensive.
Who's defensive? Everything you wrote above is true. I didn't like Farfrom's unnecessary assertion that Cornell guys are "defensive" about the fact that Cornell is contracted to operate a number of schools for the state. We just like it expressed correctly, as Ezra did. We understand the advantage it gives in recruiting within New York.
There was never any critique by me intended. And the correction was appreciated. The 'sigh' was a bit much, but accuracy is appreciated, especially when I've said something incorrect.

But is there a defensive aspect to the precision of "private" with "state contracts" vs "state colleges"? Or is this more like us Dartmouth folks insisting on "College" vs "University"? I was unaware of any sensitivity at CU on this topic, not sure why there would be, but every institution has its quirks.
So we run around correcting everyone all the time and have real human friends and spouses??? And that's never ever defensive? And Gobigdick know the feelings and intentions of all Cornell alums and can read minds and is an expert on knowing everything inside evreyones minds? Or this person has been given proxy status for all the Cornell people who have corrected this on LP and here???

Sure..

People who accomplish things vis a vis other human beings can see and read. And they let things slide down their back like water rolling. They don't worry about pedantic little things and don't waste their time complaining and using an adjective "unneccessary" and being a little biyach.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

enterprise wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:31 pm The University of Maryland College Park is also a Morrill Land Grant university. So does that mean they won the National Championship because all those recruits from the state of Maryland got guaranteed admission and maybe a tuition break?
So this is just correcting and not passive aggressive or in any way defensive??? Just simply correcting the record right gobigorgogetafriend???
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

enterprise wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:31 pm The University of Maryland College Park is also a Morrill Land Grant university. So does that mean they won the National Championship because all those recruits from the state of Maryland got guaranteed admission and maybe a tuition break?
:D They do get quite reasonable tuition...and sure, pretty much any recruited UMD player (wherever they're from) had 'guaranteed admission' but pretty sure that does not guarantee national championships, else Penn State and Rutgers and UMass would have some...

I'm not a UMD guy, though.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:24 pm
:D They do get quite reasonable tuition...and sure, pretty much any recruited UMD player (wherever they're from) had 'guaranteed admission' but pretty sure that does not guarantee national championships, else Penn State and Rutgers and UMass would have some...

Maryland has lost recruits because they could not get into the university
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:47 pm

Then they went to Cuse!
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Then they went to Cuse!
OMG!

:D
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU88 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:15 am

Then they went to Cuse!
OMG!

That was a NECESSARY comment.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:05 am
CU88 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:15 am

Then they went to Cuse!
OMG!

That was a NECESSARY comment.
Funny stuff...Arealax, I meant just that UMD has a very wide aperture for admission if a recruited athlete. I don't doubt that every once in awhile a recruited athlete has issues that keeps them being admitted and they find a home elsewhere.

Let's just say that UMD has plenty of access to athletes, which was what I was responding to, but that's certainly not the only reason that UMD has won championships, including recently. Gotta have the right mix of such, excellent coaching, and some good luck...luck being 'earned'.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

wouldn't be the ivy thread without debates about hoo can get into where and for what reason.

time honored.

hopkins thread itching to be a bridesmaid on this rn.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:06 am wouldn't be the ivy thread without debates about hoo can get into where and for what reason.

time honored.

hopkins thread itching to be a bridesmaid on this rn.
Why the unnecessary comment?!?!?!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Cornell's statutory colleges apply the same admission standards for New York residents and every other applicant. There are not lower admission standards for NY residents. New York residents attending the statutory colleges pay lower tuition - about 1/3 less than normal full undergraduate tuition ($42,000 vs $62,000). That's all. Admission standards and acceptance rates are the same regardless of the state of residence. And Farmingdale has no connection to Cornell nor was there a pipeline from Farmingdale to Cornell. Farmingdale high school's best lax players over the years attended Hopkins (John DeTomasso), Syracuse (Steve Panell) and Duke (Matt Danowski).
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I think you need to reread my post.

I said others would refer to Farmingdale as a feeder school. Richie would add an occasional top player from there. Perhaps you have a recency bias.

When Cornell was recruiting people i knew, including me, they would offer offer the contract schools to some if they did not think they could be accepted otherwise. Ad i said in my note that was when i was in school. Personally i had a Regents Scholarship and was Valedictorian. Canadians on my teams generally applied to the contract schools. Things have changed since then i am sure, Our daughter was recruited by Cornell

This might help: standards are different for the contract schools.

“At Cornell, selectivity varies by school.

The endowed schools at Cornell are: College of Arts & Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Hotel Administration, and the College of Architecture, Art & Planning.

The New York State Contract Schools are: College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS), College of Human Ecology, and the School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR).

The most selective schools at Cornell for admissions are:

College of Arts & Sciences
College of Engineering
College of Architecture, Art & Planning

Less selective schools at Cornell are (but still selective):

College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS)
College of Human Ecology
School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR)
School of Hotel….”

https://www.solomonadmissions.com/corne ... admissions
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

OCanada wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:45 am I think you need to reread my post.

I said others would refer to Farmingdale as a feeder school. Richie would add an occasional top player from there. Perhaps you have a recency bias.

When Cornell was recruiting people i knew, including me, they would offer offer the contract schools to some if they did not think they could be accepted otherwise. Ad i said in my note that was when i was in school. Personally i had a Regents Scholarship and was Valedictorian. Canadians on my teams generally applied to the contract schools. Things have changed since then i am sure, Our daughter was recruited by Cornell

This might help: standards are different for the contract schools.

“At Cornell, selectivity varies by school.

The endowed schools at Cornell are: College of Arts & Sciences, College of Engineering, School of Hotel Administration, and the College of Architecture, Art & Planning.

The New York State Contract Schools are: College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS), College of Human Ecology, and the School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR).

The most selective schools at Cornell for admissions are:

College of Arts & Sciences
College of Engineering
College of Architecture, Art & Planning

Less selective schools at Cornell are (but still selective):

College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (CALS)
College of Human Ecology
School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR)
School of Hotel….”

https://www.solomonadmissions.com/corne ... admissions
I think the point Chousnake was making is that admission standards in the contract schools apply equally to in-state and out-of-state applicants. Tuition is lower for in-state students, but admission standards are the same. In an earlier posting, you had said: "In the four contracted colleges admission standards are less onerous for in-state students..."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Good catch. Poor construction on my part. I intended the contract schools were less selective ( not to be read as a huge difference) than the non contract schools. I thought the body supported the interpretation but I obviously did not proof well. Thx
another fan

Post by another fan »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:15 am

Cornell's statutory colleges apply the same admission standards for New York residents and every other applicant. There are not lower admission standards for NY residents. New York residents attending the statutory colleges pay lower tuition - about 1/3 less than normal full undergraduate tuition ($42,000 vs $62,000). That's all. Admission standards and acceptance rates are the same regardless of the state of residence. And Farmingdale has no connection to Cornell nor was there a pipeline from Farmingdale to Cornell. Farmingdale high school's best lax players over the years attended Hopkins (John DeTomasso), Syracuse (Steve Panell) and Duke (Matt Danowski).
I think the reference to Farmingdale as a many years ago feeder of lacrosse players to Cornell was meant to be Farmingdale CC, not high school. While a few players started at Farmingdale CC, there was more of a flow from Nassau CC, including some greats like Craig Jaeger. That path is ancient history now.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

OCanada wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:10 pm Good catch. Poor construction on my part. I intended the contract schools were less selective ( not to be read as a huge difference) than the non contract schools. I thought the body supported the interpretation but I obviously did not proof well. Thx
We're cool.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”