HS Boys Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by pcowlax »

Wick 16-5 final, yeesh!
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

The way I see It TP came out fired up on their home tuff. Played good D and fed nicely from the X hitting cutters on the Sals goalie door step. When TP fed and worked the ball out front is where they ran into trouble and Sals D mids with and short stick with speed started their comeback. Heard alot of complaints from TP fans of alot of no calls. The way I see it you coach your kids well enough and play well enough you can take the refs out of the game so stop whining that life ain't fair and take responsibility for your own mistakes and work on getting better. Some offense players are taught if you feel that pressure on that spine and you need a advantage you flop happens alot in lacrosse and sometimes you get the call sometimes you don't. Sals got the call with maybe 40 seconds left. What did they do? throw the ball way. Sloppy play by both teams second half with some good things mixed in the middle. Gotta love high school lacrosse.
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:41 pm Wick 16-5 final, yeesh!
Brunswick set the stage scoring after 13 seconds at the start of the game. The final curtain came down after 40 seconds of play when Brunswick scored again.

The final score makes the game sound closer than it was.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Rant pending........(sound of emergency claxon in the distance).

'wick could have easily won 24 - 2 if they had wanted to. Taft couldn't win a FO, couldn't stop (or even KEEP UP WITH!) any 'wick starter 1 on 1, the 3rd slide (necessary if you want to compete with a machine like 'wick) came late, or never came at all. The starting keeper couldn't stop anything low or off-side and the 'wick shooters knew this. It was armageddon until the 'wick coach saw more blood in the water than was left in the carcass and realized he was in a gentlemans league and yanked the E-Brake. As has been already noted by TB Toad, the game was over before the 3rd face off, perhaps a minute into the game.

It was that bad.

Taft never got possession past the midfield line until late in the 2nd, and the game was out of reach. 'Wick rides like a Hells Angel on a stolen Harley. Taft's poles apparently weren't trusted against that so long passes to swarmed middies were the norm. Same as the MAPS game, but 'wick out-hustled the demo-game experts that Taft has and owned the GBs.

When 'wick eased off the gas (mid 2nd Q) and Taft got a few possessions, it was all 1v1 with 5 guys standing around watching. Pass-it-around-a-couple-of-times-and-then-somebody-get-close-enough-to-get-doubled-and give-it-a-go-to-the-cage offense.

It failed.

I hope that this humiliation was a wake up call for the kids at Taft. Either the talent is fatally flawed on D or a more conventional clear protocol needs to be installed. Bring a middie back to run past the ride and break into the O-zone with O-squad personnel coming in to help? Don't get me started on the lethargic slide and GB practices our D demonstrated. Just.....don't.

DPPS (Dodge/Pass/Pass/Shoot) is the MV=PY maxim of all offense. I'm sure that the Taft coaches know this. Maybe they can drive this home a little this week? Dodge/Re-dodge/Re-dodge into a double/ask for an IBC from an unsympathetic ref is not a path to victory in this league.

I wrote something similar a few years back about AOF when the son of a friend was PG-ing there and I wanted his team to shine, and now I have an old teammates son at Taft (as well as my pre-collegiate academic records) so I'm invested.

3PP (formerly WhichCoast)........disappointed.

End of rant.
random observer

Post by random observer »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 pm Rant pending........(sound of emergency claxon in the distance).

'wick could have easily won 24 - 2 if they had wanted to. Taft couldn't win a FO, couldn't stop (or even KEEP UP WITH!) any 'wick starter 1 on 1, the 3rd slide (necessary if you want to compete with a machine like 'wick) came late, or never came at all. The starting keeper couldn't stop anything low or off-side and the 'wick shooters knew this. It was armageddon until the 'wick coach saw more blood in the water than was left in the carcass and realized he was in a gentlemans league and yanked the E-Brake. As has been already noted by TB Toad, the game was over before the 3rd face off, perhaps a minute into the game.

It was that bad.

Taft never got possession past the midfield line until late in the 2nd, and the game was out of reach. 'Wick rides like a Hells Angel on a stolen Harley. Taft's poles apparently weren't trusted against that so long passes to swarmed middies were the norm. Same as the MAPS game, but 'wick out-hustled the demo-game experts that Taft has and owned the GBs.

When 'wick eased off the gas (mid 2nd Q) and Taft got a few possessions, it was all 1v1 with 5 guys standing around watching. Pass-it-around-a-couple-of-times-and-then-somebody-get-close-enough-to-get-doubled-and give-it-a-go-to-the-cage offense.

It failed.

I hope that this humiliation was a wake up call for the kids at Taft. Either the talent is fatally flawed on D or a more conventional clear protocol needs to be installed. Bring a middie back to run past the ride and break into the O-zone with O-squad personnel coming in to help? Don't get me started on the lethargic slide and GB practices our D demonstrated. Just.....don't.

DPPS (Dodge/Pass/Pass/Shoot) is the MV=PY maxim of all offense. I'm sure that the Taft coaches know this. Maybe they can drive this home a little this week? Dodge/Re-dodge/Re-dodge into a double/ask for an IBC from an unsympathetic ref is not a path to victory in this league.

I wrote something similar a few years back about AOF when the son of a friend was PG-ing there and I wanted his team to shine, and now I have an old teammates son at Taft (as well as my pre-collegiate academic records) so I'm invested.

End of rant.
Sounds a lot like Wick's win against New Canaan last year. Just an utter dismantling of a pretty talented team.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Before the season I had Brunswick number 1a , Salisbury 1b, and then Avon, and Taft. A couple of games in I now have Brunswick as the clear number 1, then it becomes close between Salisbury, TP, and Avon.

I don't think the game between TP and Salisbury was a fluke or that Salisbury just played bad. I think TP is just a good team. I was very impressed with their defense, and when they were moving the ball and feeding cutters in the crease, their offense looked good also.

Wick is better than I thought they would be, and I thought they would be very good to begin with. They don't have all the players you hear about in all the nonsense rankings, ty xanders quotes that he does to please other people and coaches, and so forth, but they are as good as anyone out there and play as a team. Always very impressed with the players and the coaching job done there.

Bury, uh, not sure what to say. although I still think, and it is showing, their "headline players" are not as good as they were made out to be, they are still good. Please take this the right way. This is not a knock on them, its just normalizing how they really are. Very good players, but not that much better than everyone else out there. In 1 or 2 situations, there might even be better players on the team that aren't getting the playing time they maybe should in front of some headliners. The coaching staff has to find a way to get them to play as a team, come together, and find the right mix of players to play. I still think they can, and hope they do. Cause selfishly I want to see both Wick and Bury come into their game undefeated and both playing the best they can be so we see a great game.

Lots of games to go and will be fun to watch
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

random observer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:42 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 pm Rant pending........(sound of emergency claxon in the distance).

It was that bad.

It failed.

End of rant.
Sounds a lot like Wick's win against New Canaan last year. Just an utter dismantling of a pretty talented team.

I feel like because there's no skin in the game here, I am going unashamedly replace my 'St. Anthony's is the team to beat' to say, for the love of God would I like to see Brunswick-Chaminade/Brunswick-Calvert Hall/Calvert Hall-St. Anthony's/Chaminade-Hill games. I think these matchups would be beyond special.
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

"Bury, uh, not sure what to say. although I still think, and it is showing, their "headline players" are not as good as they were made out to be, they are still good. Please take this the right way. This is not a knock on them, its just normalizing how they really are. Very good players, but not that much better than everyone else out there. In 1 or 2 situations, there might even be better players on the team that aren't getting the playing time they maybe should in front of some headliners. The coaching staff has to find a way to get them to play as a team, come together, and find the right mix of players to play. I still think they can, and hope they do."

Year after year the same story seems to prevail with Salisbury. Excuses, while the coaching staff continues to be given a pass. Let's add 1 + 1 and come up with 2. See "Coaching at Brunswick"; "Coaching at Deerfield".
3rdPersonPlural

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:43 am I feel like because there's no skin in the game here, I am going unashamedly replace my 'St. Anthony's is the team to beat' to say, for the love of God would I like to see
Brunswick-Chaminade
Brunswick-Calvert Hall
Calvert Hall-St. Anthony's
Chaminade-Hill games.

I think these matchups would be beyond special.
I think so too. GEICO, my insurance company (mostly because of this stunt), sponsors a post season 'national championship' which is the best, most sustainable (with Warren Buffets money) attempt to make your dreams come true.

Problem is, New York teams can't play any team that has PGs (I know, not on your list except, it could be argued, Hill) and the prohibition is so fierce that teams that play any PG teams are restricted, but not banned, from playing NY teams. This was discussed ad nauseum on the old site a few years back.

NY also has academic tests when any post season games might be played, and (IIRC) rules against school teams reconstituting intact out of season.

The challenge to CHC playing the LI or CT stud teams is that seasons are crafted years in advance. Who knew in 2015 that CHC would be world-beating this year and St Pauls would be having a down year? Maybe 5 years from now both CHC and StA's will have matching open dates, but who's to say that both teams will be worthy of the game that year? Who's to say that a coach wants to travel to maybe suffer a humiliation or endure a lopsided victory?

The NY catholics play Darien, which is reliably formidible, but 'wick has only emerged on the scene in the last half decade. Give 'em time.....
random observer

Post by random observer »

Would be great if regulations allowed more of the publics into the GEICO post-season tournament, but at the very least, this year GEICO has put together another event that includes a few of the best programs that can't play PGs:

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... ril-27-28/

A lot of great teams involved. Will be on ESPNU and ESPN3.
3rdPersonPlural

Thanks for the link, RO. Frankly, LS, WM, and Darien are 3 of the top half dozen publics in my estimation. As this format gains legs, we'll get
the MIAA champ,
the NEWest champ,
The 3 (or is it 4 now?) New York champs,
The Jersey Champion of Champions,
the Mainline PA private (IAC?) champ
The PA public champ
A killer squad from the southeast. Georgia and Florida are playing sublime lax
Whomsoever is crowned 'best of the West (StI, TP, CC or Regis from CO, or one of those 3 or 4 Texas squads who can beat anyone on a given day. Maybe 2, actually
2 teams from the intersectional set. IMG and Culver and Hill gotta defenestrate one.
The CT, MA and DC area champ.
The best team from the midsouth (VA, NC, TN, etc.)
the best team from the rust belt. Cleveland and Detroit and Chicago are all getting really really good. And deep.
The MD public champ.

That's 18 teams. Like the NCAAs but more controversial and therefore vulnerable to more money which means sustainability.

But We're off track. At least I am. Back to Taft's next loss.......
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Any good games being streamed today? Gotta stay home to watch the masters but would love to also watch a good HS game on the computer.

Also, anyone know if the Hill vs Culver game tomorrow is being live streamed?
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Brunswick @ New Canaan - 4pm

https://locallive.tv/archives/41281
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Nice. Thank you
NewE1Fan

Post by NewE1Fan »

Taft losing at the half vs Westminster

8-5

https://livestream.com/accounts/10616561/events/8633766
3rdPersonPlural

Taft losing at the half vs Westminster

8-5
Not gonna go there. The Rhinos have broken my heart. I'm letting their siren call go to voice mail.

I'm watching the 'wick game. New Canaan is impressive. They're also losing by 8.

2019 'Wick is the best HS team I've seen.
NewE1Fan

Post by NewE1Fan »

Wick is the most complete team I’ve seen in a while
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Any score updates from any of the games?
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Westminster vs Taft 13-11
Deerfield vs Choate 12-8
Loomis beat Berkshire. Don’t know the final score but at the start of fourth it was 8-4.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Any score from Andover v Salisbury ?

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”