Coaching Carousel D3 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by River Donkey »

OHLaxDad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 am
boredatwork wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:08 pm Alma has a coach:

https://almascots.com/sports/mlax/2022- ... 1101msyslp
His last lax job was really Solon High School in NE Ohio. Force is a just a summer club team.
That’s pretty sad.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:49 am That’s pretty sad.
Because?

Should they just have hired Wickley?

Have to also think about the candidate pool
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:07 pm
River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:49 am That’s pretty sad.
Because?

Should they just have hired Wickley?

Have to also think about the candidate pool
Because read his resume, these kids are paying a lot of money to go to college they should have an experienced NCAA coach. The kids are paying for it, get them what they are paying for instead of taking the cheap easy option. Btw I have no clue who Wickley is? Pay a living wage and your candidate pool will get better.
Leonard Washington

River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm Because read his resume
Have you seen some of the resumes of recent hires? Also look at the time of year and candidate pool
River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm [these kids are paying a lot of money to go to college they should have an experienced NCAA coach.
Yes, it is Division III and they are paying to go to school. Not neccesarily to play a particular sport. If that is what started them down the path to attend Alma, I understand,
but to leave and not recieve a pretty solid education because a coach comes in without specific lacrosse credentials doesnt make sense. Guess Tufts mens lacrosse should have went with an experienced coach as well
River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm [The kids are paying for it, get them what they are paying for instead of taking the cheap easy option. Btw I have no clue who Wickley is? Pay a living wage and your candidate pool will get better.
Kids are paying for what? The coaches salary? Who said that he was the cheap, easy option (that's where they would have went with Wickley instead). Almas current coaching salary is above a few jobs still listed.

Did they do their due diligence? Possibly.

Do we know some of the guys who applied? Definitely

Name a "decent" coach who applied who didnt have different salary demands, didnt ask for specific relocation fees or didnt say they would only be there a short time

Some of these institutions may not want to get burned short term and are looking for candidates (right are wrong) they assume are going to stay a little longer based on pedigree (or lack their of) potential and opportunity.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 pm
River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm Because read his resume
Have you seen some of the resumes of recent hires? Also look at the time of year and candidate pool
River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm [these kids are paying a lot of money to go to college they should have an experienced NCAA coach.
Yes, it is Division III and they are paying to go to school. Not neccesarily to play a particular sport. If that is what started them down the path to attend Alma, I understand,
but to leave and not recieve a pretty solid education because a coach comes in without specific lacrosse credentials doesnt make sense. Guess Tufts mens lacrosse should have went with an experienced coach as well
River Donkey wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:01 pm [The kids are paying for it, get them what they are paying for instead of taking the cheap easy option. Btw I have no clue who Wickley is? Pay a living wage and your candidate pool will get better.
Kids are paying for what? The coaches salary? Who said that he was the cheap, easy option (that's where they would have went with Wickley instead). Almas current coaching salary is above a few jobs still listed.

Did they do their due diligence? Possibly.

Do we know some of the guys who applied? Definitely

Name a "decent" coach who applied who didnt have different salary demands, didnt ask for specific relocation fees or didnt say they would only be there a short time

Some of these institutions may not want to get burned short term and are looking for candidates (right are wrong) they assume are going to stay a little longer based on pedigree (or lack their of) potential and opportunity.
Ok, all fair points. I hadn't considered all of them.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

it's a small school in michigan - i can't imagine there were a number of highly experienced college coaches applying for the job. it seems like a good school to get started in coaching college lax. looking at laxnumbers he had a solid season at the HS he coached at, albeit 1 season.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

I think that the frustration from this forum is being directed a certain schools/new coaches but is really a result of the overall issues with D3 lacrosse, especially the bottom 50%.

For years now, admissions (heads in beds) have been prioritized over building a successful/winning program. Coaches are paid barely a living salary, and arguably way beyond minimum wage after looking at the total hours put in. Not to mention, schools have been notoriously slow at adapting to the new way of working (during and after the pandemic).

So, we're seeing a squeeze of coaches (great, good, and bad) leaving the profession to make more money, have better work/life balance, have less travel, or all of the above. Part of that squeeze is naturally going to force strong assistants (who would previously have applied for many of these open positions) out of the industry all together.

I think everyone here would agree that we wish the best to these new coaches, but there's nothing wrong with airing frustration regarding the overall state of coaching.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:20 am I think that the frustration from this forum is being directed a certain schools/new coaches but is really a result of the overall issues with D3 lacrosse, especially the bottom 50%.

For years now, admissions (heads in beds) have been prioritized over building a successful/winning program. Coaches are paid barely a living salary, and arguably way beyond minimum wage after looking at the total hours put in. Not to mention, schools have been notoriously slow at adapting to the new way of working (during and after the pandemic).

So, we're seeing a squeeze of coaches (great, good, and bad) leaving the profession to make more money, have better work/life balance, have less travel, or all of the above. Part of that squeeze is naturally going to force strong assistants (who would previously have applied for many of these open positions) out of the industry all together.

I think everyone here would agree that we wish the best to these new coaches, but there's nothing wrong with airing frustration regarding the overall state of coaching.
Nail on the head, thank you for expressing the point I’ve been trying to make. Lacrosse needs to address the trend of coaches leaving for the reasons you stated.
Leonard Washington

Frustration with schools and administration is understandable but it isn't just lacrosse feeling the impact and turnover of coaches, it is across DIII athletics. Honestly, I cant fault a number of these coaches and their movement regardless of resume. That being said, out of the 38 positions filled/posted, I understand (from my perspective) the hiring of about 33 of the guys posted.

There are quite a few reasons why there is (constant) turnover at a number of these jobs. If pizzed off then by all means call out that school and their track record (im looking at you LaRoche and Wells; to name a couple) and express how you feel. I will continue to say, "timing is everything " and while a number of these institutions get it....many many others do not.
OHLaxDad

Post by OHLaxDad »

His last lax job was really Solon High School in NE Ohio. Force is a just a summer club team.
BTW, I didn't post this to demean the candidate or the hire. I was just clarifying because I know a little about the area he's from. Everyone needs a start and from what I can see, he really wants to be a college coach which is a big plus with a relatively young guy. As noted above, we need to be encouraging enthusiastic people to coach and take these jobs.
MDlacrosse45

Post by MDlacrosse45 »

I think River Donkey is spot on about this. 90% of Almas roster would not be paying tuition to Alma if it wasnt for lacrosse. These Universities need to be willing to spend more money on a coach to make jobs like these more enticing and expand the candidate pool. Its all about $$. A good candidate would move to Michigan and stay in Michigan if you pay him enough $$.

One day these Universities will realize that every employer they have really work for these students. The students pay their salaries.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Looks like Pitt-Bradford in the AMCC is adding men's lacrosse

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=37591 ... serp&vjs=3

Hopefully that link works
Leonard Washington

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:56 pm Looks like Pitt-Bradford in the AMCC is adding men's lacrosse

I did notice that job was posted last week, but couldn't find it on the main/school webpage though
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:32 pm
LacrosseFan33 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:56 pm Looks like Pitt-Bradford in the AMCC is adding men's lacrosse

I did notice that job was posted last week, but couldn't find it on the main/school webpage though
https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection ... b=22008755
Leonard Washington

Not sure how I missed it, but thanks
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Per the ncaa job market mitchell college is open for the second time in 5 months
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

boredatwork wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:58 pm Per the ncaa job market mitchell college is open for the second time in 5 months
Interesting…
Leonard Washington

boredatwork wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:58 pm Per the ncaa job market mitchell college is open for the second time in 5 months
Not really surprised
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

OHLaxDad wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:36 pm

BTW, I didn't post this to demean the candidate or the hire. I was just clarifying because I know a little about the area he's from. Everyone needs a start and from what I can see, he really wants to be a college coach which is a big plus with a relatively young guy. As noted above, we need to be encouraging enthusiastic people to coach and take these jobs.
Give me a young energetic guy (or woman) that is going to inspire the boys, make them be good men, have a relationship with alumni, get the boys jobs, have fun playing college lacrosse - OVER some of the coaches I've heard about in the East that have a "resume" but do none of the above...
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

This is allegedly directly related to the New Paltz opening…

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”