Baseball

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Baseball

Post by Brooklyn »

Philly steam roll tonight from the get-go. Such one sided wins don't make for a very exciting series. Well, mebbe next time.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:15 pm That njb heart should be beating slow and steady tonight. Phillies are white hot, on a crazy roll.
Nary a runner in scoring position yet up 7-0, top of 6th. Nuts. Defensively hot too.
That’s exactly how I like ‘em. Game one had more than enough “excitement” to last me the rest of my life. Gotta do it again tomorrow night.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Noting the time of post, am figuring today was still yesterday to you when posting. Just making sure, don't want you to miss anything. Back to back to back games because of the rain out, game four tonight. Phillies glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife. Gotta be white hot to get that good edge on a blade, ya know....and they are white hot and do have the edge! Baseball's a funny game, it definitely aint over til it's over, we'll see if the Phils can maintain this level of hot. A seven game series is tough. I'd like to see it go seven purely for the entertainment factor...this level of baseball is just fantastic.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Uh oh, a cooler start for the Phils, going into the 2nd with no lead.
Very early though, njb, breathe easy.

Stros create a little spark with two runners on but
Nora douses the wood at the plate with a K.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Runner on 2nd (horrible throw by Vazquez on a strike out throw out...shoulda been outta the inning)
but, nope for the Phils.
0-0 top of 3.

Phils steal another one (this one's on the pitcher, decent throw from Vazquez) but their bats
can't get him home.
0-0, top of 4.
Heartbeat up just a titch.

Javier aint havin' it,
Nola givin' up nuthin.
0-0, top of 5.

No more nota from Nola, back to back to back
singles from the Stros...no runs (yet). Enter Alverado.
No outs, bases full...check that, HBP, 1-0 Stros, bases
full, no outs.
Stros breathe a little fire,
bring home 5.
Javier holds.
5-0, end of 5.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Hell of an effort by Javier, too bad this is modern baseball. Starters being pulled and going to the bullpen. I understand you want to keep them fresh for another game, if it goes that far. Yet there’s always the chance the bp screws it

Maldonado is a much better catcher than Vasquez, might have thrown out at least one of those runners. I think Dusty should have Vasquez DH and get rid of Diaz, he’s done nothing.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Although, I’ll reply to my own complaint about pulling a pitcher with a no hitter as it does work out ok. Javier and two relievers no hit the Yankees earlier this year. They threw another combined no no a few years ago. They threw another one in Yankee Stadium in 2003 and I was front and center when they did that with 6 pitchers.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No disagreement there. Not only has Diaz done nothing, leaning in to get the HBP with men on 2nd and 3rd (a gift created by passed ball that takes a tough hop off the plate) was a really dumb play. The DH up there to get a hit and tie/win it which you can now do with runners on 2nd and 3rd. HBP does nothing but load the bases creating a force out at any bag. You need that guy at third home, loaded bases would have accomplished nothing. Was a really dumb play in my book.
8 no hit innings for the Stros now.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, Pressly holds on for the no hitter, felt a little shaky but got it done.
New series, tied at 2.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ugh. FanLax just ate my post. Was that type of night.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Missed the first few innings because my neighborhood St Paul youth football team (ages 13/14) was playing tonight. It was a great game and we won the State Championship!

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=636803FA

Houston wins a no hitter - second in history. I'm just old enough to have watched Don Larsen's perfecto but don't honestly remember if I saw it live. I do remember how much chatter there was about it in the Big City. History made tonight. Kudos to Houston. Am looking forward to the rest of the Series.

DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:31 pm Ugh. FanLax just ate my post. Was that type of night.
A no hitter and a no worder (hate it when that happens). :lol:
Shut out all the way around.
This one wasn't as stressful, got late for the Phils early, not a
lot of drama thereafter.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Will try again, but quickly.

great game from Xavier. Nola was on the edge all night until the wheels came off in the fifth.

Two of the three no hitters in postseason major league history have been at citizens Bank Park, which is supposed to be a hitters park.

Phillies should’ve saved some of those dingers from last night. The bats will have to return tomorrow night.

Amazing the turnaround between the two teams in 24 hours.

Here’s hoping Kate Upton wears out her husband tonight.

It’s anybody series now.

Edit: Dusty Baker was managing the Reds when Roy Halladay no hit them in 2010 at CBP. So he has managed in two of the three postseason no hitters.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:43 pm
Here’s hoping Kate Upton wears out her husband tonight.
Uh oh.
“the evidence actually suggests sexual activity may have a beneficial effect on sports performance,” said Laura Stefani, lead author of the study, and an assistant professor of sports medicine at the University of Florence, in a statement.
https://www.medicaldaily.com/no-sex-spo ... ost-400103
Am thinkin' Kate's willing to take one for the team to help Justin keep it up in the strike zone.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Game five, lotta pressure, big game. Don't know what kind of night Justin and Kate had.
Tasty morsels plated and ready, plentiful, and ridiculously delicious...crazy good!!
Baby backs, sliced (some then chopped in half) and fixed Asian style. Five spice (gotta
have that stuff), garlic, ginger, scallions, soy, oyster, hoisin sauces, sesame oil, rice
vinegar, white wine (supposed to be rice wine..no gots). Cooked up a couple of different
ways. Wings just baked.
Ready...play ball!!
Wow, Phils stop the bleeding quickly only give up 1.
SO-TO changes things quickly.

Uh oh, enter Kate. Schwarber with the long ball,
gets the 1 right back. 1-1.

Don't know about that enhancing your performance stuff,
Justin hangin' on by a thread.
1-1, end of 2.

Third outs not coming easy for Justin.
Hangin' on, still 2-1, end of 5.

End o 6, 2-1.
Wow, Stros botch a golden opportunity,
man on 3rd, no outs, don't bring him home.
Bad base running cost 'em big.
Think that's gonna cost 'em the ballgame.

Phils don't capitalize, go down 1,2,3.
2-1, end of 7.
Stros bring one around,
Phils bring one around.
3-2, top of 9.

Phils hold, got 3 outs to get one run, two wins it.
Big bat comin' up.

Geezuz, the Mccormick catch puts njb on the floor. :lol:

Nope, Pressly holds (barely) did a nice job.
Verlander gets the win.
Stros need one, Phils gotta get two.
Last edited by DMac on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ dat food look soooooooooooo delectable

As for the game, a tight one won by Houston. Philly ain't looking so invincible anymore.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Brookie, sorry must disagree. Of DMac’s last two posts, the food isn’t as delectable as the other one.

Right DMac, Bill probably didn’t handle the stress of that game too well.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:13 am Brookie, sorry must disagree. Of DMac’s last two posts, the food isn’t as delectable as the other one.

Right DMac, Bill probably didn’t handle the stress of that game too well.

Well, I was talking about dinner, not the dessert :)

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”