2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
wgdsr

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:26 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm Though most of you disagree, I like Desantis a tremendous amount and believe he will be my party's nominee in 2024.
First off, welcome aboard.

Second, what do you like about DeSantis, and what changes do you think he'll make when he's voted in in 2024?
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm On the other side of the aisle, I firmly believe the Democratic Party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizarre sect of identity politic fanatics, which is very likely to eliminate many of their current politicians from public office on November 8. You can read even on these boards the flirtation (if not outright adoration) of some of the most extreme identity politics mania...that strikes me as not simply bizarre but self-defeating (it also strikes Barack Obama as bizarre and likely to cause losses).
If you ask the libs, they'll tell you that your party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists.

Sense the problem? Or do you agree that your party is wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists?
as we close october, this was your post of the month. the aftermath discussion was predictible, and still entertaining.

however... i will say, i'm a bit self-conscious as with several convos you've closed with me, you've similarly said "thanks for answering my questions".
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:26 pm as we close october, this was your post of the month. the aftermath discussion was predictible, and still entertaining.

however... i will say, i'm a bit self-conscious as with several convos you've closed with me, you've similarly said "thanks for answering my questions".
:lol: it's sincere. No one has to do as they're asked here....so I appreciate it when folks engage and at least TRY and answer direct questions.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:39 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm Though most of you disagree, I like Desantis a tremendous amount and believe he will be my party's nominee in 2024.

Second, what do you like about DeSantis, and what changes do you think he'll make when he's voted in in 2024?
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm On the other side of the aisle, I firmly believe the Democratic Party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizarre sect of identity politic fanatics, which is very likely to eliminate many of their current politicians from public office on November 8. You can read even on these boards the flirtation (if not outright adoration) of some of the most extreme identity politics mania...that strikes me as not simply bizarre but self-defeating (it also strikes Barack Obama as bizarre and likely to cause losses).
If you ask the libs, they'll tell you that your party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists.

Sense the problem? Or do you agree that your party is wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists?
I often wonder how a person’s first post is to the politics thread on a Lax Forum? I was on for years before I discovered the politics forum……Interesting.
Sometime wonder how I got over here myself from starting on LP as a Hobart cheerleader and aspirational best troll ever to Syracuse and Cornell. We come correct in Geneva, the refs suck too. Clearly it was a mistake to drop our whack baseball program when lacrosse moved up to D1 - we're clearly a breeding ground for great pitching prospects!

Umass tried to copy us but they were only an imitator (god rest IMP that dude was one of my all time favorites along with Artful Dodger, straight class human beings to the end)

https://dailyorange.com/2005/03/fish-ou ... st-hobart/

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/4/5/ ... lent-start
Just bewildered how a person’s very first post is in the politics forum on a lax site.
Obviously he’s impressed by DeSantis’ leaderships skills and just had to shout it out! Plus the Democrats are a bunch of stinky poopers. It had to be said.
Trans being mentioned multiple times caught my eye.

Focus on the good stuff like the throwing technique of Hobart students.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:26 pm as we close october, this was your post of the month. the aftermath discussion was predictible, and still entertaining.

:lol: it's sincere. No one has to do as they're asked here....so I appreciate it when folks engage and at least TRY and answer direct questions.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXa8jujMr0
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Funny thing is being mediocre and somewhat reasonable can go hand in hand with politically craven and be effective. Kemp is probably going to wax Abrams seeming non the ground like he’s pulling away. But predictions…I’m not a chucklehead like PB.

Abrams seeks to tie Kemp to Herschel Walker at final Georgia debate

In Georgia's final gubernatorial debate, Democratic nominee Stacey Abrams sought to attack incumbent GOP Gov. Brian Kemp's controversial social policies in a rematch for the job that has appeared less competitive than their 2018 race — and even to tie him to his embattled counterpart in the state's high-stakes Senate race, Herschel Walker.

Why it matters: With polling averages continuing to show Abrams trailing Kemp, the candidates' final debate posed one more opportunity for the Democratic challenger to change the perception that momentum is not on her side while onstage alongside him.

Abrams finished her closing remarks by alluding to that perception: "I want you to know that polls do not see you, but I do. And the only poll that matters, is the poll at the ballot box."
Her campaign has consistently rejected public polling as inaccurate given a volatile political climate.
The intrigue: In an era in which Republican politics remains dominated by former President Trump, his name never came up in the one-hour debate. Kemp weathered withering attacks from Trump after refusing to overturn the state’s 2020 election results and easily fended off a Trump-backed primary challenger.

Driving the news: The two experienced state officials, who are running against each other for a second time, debated largely on their deep policy differences.

Abrams touted her legislative and nonprofit record and focused on Kemp's policies.
She highlighted his socially conservative anti-abortion and gun policy stances and blamed him for inflation and high crime. "Communities are in turmoil," she said. "They are worried about their rights, and they're worried about their futures. But I want to do better by Georgians."
Kemp accused Abrams of attacking his record because she "doesn't want to talk about her own." Of his own tenure, he said: "I made a very simple promise to people: I told them I would put them first ahead of the status quo and the politically correct ... and that's exactly what I've done."
Catch up quick: The candidates sparred again on gun regulation, as they did in their first debate earlier this month. (Kemp championed a law loosening gun permit regulations this year.)

Some key issues during the debate:
Abortion

Kemp dodged a question asking whether he would sign any additional hypothetical abortion restrictions if they were passed by the legislature; however he said it is not his “desire to move the needle any further on this issue.”
Kemp championed the state's restrictive abortion law, which Abrams has tried to mine on the campaign trail after Roe v. Wade was overturned.
Kemp defended his anti-abortion stance, even though polls show a majority of Georgians do not support it: “Nobody’s going to agree with the governor every single time on every single issue but at least I’ve been transparent.”
Abrams underlined his hedge. “Under this governor women are in danger,” she said, citing dismal maternal mortality rates in the state. “Brian Kemp does not have a plan for the lives of women who are being forced to carry pregnancies to term.”
The two also tussled over the implications of the state's law for miscarriages. Abrams has repeatedly argued it opens women up to prosecution for miscarriages.
Kemp told the story of his wife Marty's miscarriage — a baby who would have been a twin to his eldest daughter. Abrams responded, "Tragedies of miscarriage should not be political fodder."
Between the lines: The state's abortion law, which bans abortions when cardiac activity has been detected in an embryo — generally around six weeks — says miscarriage is legal.

"The naturally occurring death of an unborn child, including a miscarriage or stillbirth” and the removal of an ectopic pregnancy are removed from the definition of "abortion."
Herschel Walker

While attacking Kemp on abortion, Abrams again sought to tie him to GOP Senate nominee Herschel Walker.
"[He] refuses to defend us and yet he defended Herschel Walker, saying that he didn't want to be involved in the personal life of his running mate, but he doesn't mind being involved in the personal lives and the personal medical choices of women in Georgia."
Kemp has scarcely appeared on the campaign trail with Walker. But while he recently said he voted for Walker, he has dodged questions from reporters about Walker’s scrutinized past.
Two women have alleged that Walker, the Republican nominee in Georgia's hotly contested Senate race, paid for their abortions.
Walker, who has taken a firm-anti abortion stance, has denied the allegations.
Context: Kemp has tip-toed around tying himself too closely to the embattled Senate candidate, saying: “I’m focused on my race."

“I can’t control what other people are doing. I certainly can’t control the past. But I can control my own destiny and that’s what we’re doing," Kemp told the New York Times.
Voting rights

Abrams, who became a national voting rights advocate after losing her 2018 election, criticized Georgia’s 2021 voting law, SB 202, passed by Georgia lawmakers last year. It introduced changes to absentee and early voting, among other updates
She reiterated her point that just because the state is seeing high voter turnout, does not mean Republican policies do not have a suppressive effect.
“Let’s be clear, that the voter suppression that I’m talking about is being felt by Georgians every single day,” she said.
Kemp, a former Secretary of State, has consistently dismissed Abrams' criticisms, saying the law "makes it easy to vote and hard to cheat." He and other Republicans point to record early voting turnout and record voter registration as vindication of any suppression allegations.
He added that Abrams has been "running around and scaring people about suppressive votes and suppressive legislation."
Between the lines: Both candidates said they would accept the results of the midterm election.

COVID

Kemp has made his controversial decision begin reopening the state’s economy in spring 2020 earlier than others a centerpiece of his record.
He has argued that decision paved the way for the state’s record surplus and revenues and he's mined it to draw a stark contrast with Abrams, who has criticized his decision to reopen on news outlets.
"We’re one new COVID variant away from Ms. Abrams wanting to lock our state down,” Kemp said.
Abrams fired back: “I didn’t say we need lockdowns. I said we need caution."
Economy

Abrams made her case on economic policy by saying the "economic pain people are feeling is real," and tying it to Kemp’s policies as governor, including his refusal to expand Medicaid.
She attacked him for a tax cut passed this year: "What I will not do is give tax cuts to the wealthy and the powerful, I will focus on our workers and our small businesses, putting them first." Kemp championed an income tax cut, which proportionately benefits the state’s highest earners.
It’s a stark difference from Kemp and Republicans’ argument, which is that inflation and economic pain should be blamed on a "disastrous policy agenda by Joe Biden and the Democrats who have complete control in Washington, D.C."
Context: Kemp has sought to link Abrams to Biden during the campaign as the president's popularity has dropped in the state despite winning it in 2020. Abrams, however, scarcely mentions the president, though she did campaign for him in 2020.

What to know about the race

The big picture: Sunday's debate marked the third and final for Kemp and Abrams between this year's midterms and the 2018 election, when the Democrat narrowly lost by fewer than 2 points.

Between the lines: While the candidates are the same, this race has played out far differently than during 2018. Kemp has since led the state during COVID and weathered attacks from Trump.

Abrams' national platform has since risen alongside her powerhouse fundraising capabilities.
She has been credited for building a turnout infrastructure for Georgia Democrats that helped propel Joe Biden and two Democratic senators — Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock, who's in a dead heat to secure a full term against Walker — to victory last election cycle.
The bottom line: A record nearly 1.6 million Georgians have already cast their ballots. Polls show the percentage of undecided voters to be less than 5%.

But if neither candidate reaches 50% plus one vote, the race will head to a December runoff.
Worth noting: Political debates have been dwindling in races up and down the ballot, all over the country, Axios' Andrew Solender reports.

Go deeper: Everything you need to know to vote in the 2022 midterm elections

This story has been updated with additional reporting and background.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

(someone commented why I'd first post in a politics forum while on a lacrosse website; one, politics interests me, which I'd hope would be enough reason!, and literally the election is in 8 days so it's hot; but two and as importantly, lacrosse doesn't start for four more months...I have a lot to say about the Terps, but I probably need to be somewhat circumspect on what I say)

Interesting difference between two population-comparable states and symptomatic of what appears to be going on this election.

In Florida, Republicans hold a small 300,000 R over D advantage, and Desantis is polling anywhere between 9-17 points above Crist.

In New York, Democrats hold a large 2,000,000 D over R advantage, yet Hochul is polling only between 1-6 points above Zeldin.

Eight days to go and anything can happen obviously, and polls can be off either way, but you'd have to assume that national Republicans have this one in the bag. Maybe not NY, but you get the idea.

On the other hand... Some Republicans do what they can to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by allowing total clowns like Tom Emmer (Minnesota R) to appear on Sunday talk shows (he got justifiably rolled by Margaret Brennan, a former acquaintance of mine, and believe me, she is not a liberal by any stretch). Guys like Emmer are total gifts to Democrats...he can't explain idiotic ads, so he doubles down defending them. Just show some humility by saying 'yeah, you're right, I'm wrong'.

I remain flabbergasted that anyone would pull the lever for Hochul who is without question the least likable and least impressive candidate I have ever seen. You obviously must be careful stating that at a dinner party here, but man, it just astounds me that anyone could vote for her.

I suspect some folks will compare this to Herschel Walker, but I am far more invested in my governor or county executive than I am a senator from Georgia (who is 1 of 100 in his federal role). Hochul MUST go. She is an incredibly inept leader.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I often wonder how a person’s first post is to the politics thread on a Lax Forum? I was on for years before I discovered the politics forum……Interesting.
It looks like a Petey doppelganger account created because he's banned until after the midterms to allow him to gloat over election results.
He just has to behave nicely for a week or so. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a fan goes for it hook, line and sinker. :oops:
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:33 am (someone commented why I'd first post in a politics forum while on a lacrosse website; one, politics interests me, which I'd hope would be enough reason!, and literally the election is in 8 days so it's hot; but two and as importantly, lacrosse doesn't start for four more months...I have a lot to say about the Terps, but I probably need to be somewhat circumspect on what I say)

Interesting difference between two population-comparable states and symptomatic of what appears to be going on this election.

In Florida, Republicans hold a small 300,000 R over D advantage, and Desantis is polling anywhere between 9-17 points above Crist.

In New York, Democrats hold a large 2,000,000 D over R advantage, yet Hochul is polling only between 1-6 points above Zeldin.

Eight days to go and anything can happen obviously, and polls can be off either way, but you'd have to assume that national Republicans have this one in the bag. Maybe not NY, but you get the idea.

On the other hand... Some Republicans do what they can to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by allowing total clowns like Tom Emmer (Minnesota R) to appear on Sunday talk shows (he got justifiably rolled by Margaret Brennan, a former acquaintance of mine, and believe me, she is not a liberal by any stretch). Guys like Emmer are total gifts to Democrats...he can't explain idiotic ads, so he doubles down defending them. Just show some humility by saying 'yeah, you're right, I'm wrong'.

I remain flabbergasted that anyone would pull the lever for Hochul who is without question the least likable and least impressive candidate I have ever seen. You obviously must be careful stating that at a dinner party here, but man, it just astounds me that anyone could vote for her.

I suspect some folks will compare this to Herschel Walker, but I am far more invested in my governor or county executive than I am a senator from Georgia (who is 1 of 100 in his federal role). Hochul MUST go. She is an incredibly inept leader.
How did you find the Fanlax Politics forum?
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The suspect in the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi had a list of people he wanted to target, law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation confirmed to CBS News.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:21 pm

Sometime wonder how I got over here myself from starting on LP as a Hobart cheerleader and aspirational best troll ever to Syracuse and Cornell. We come correct in Geneva, the refs suck too. Clearly it was a mistake to drop our whack baseball program when lacrosse moved up to D1 - we're clearly a breeding ground for great pitching prospects!

Umass tried to copy us but they were only an imitator (god rest IMP that dude was one of my all time favorites along with Artful Dodger, straight class human beings to the end)

https://dailyorange.com/2005/03/fish-ou ... st-hobart/

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/4/5/ ... lent-start
Just bewildered how a person’s very first post is in the politics forum on a lax site.
Obviously he’s impressed by DeSantis’ leaderships skills and just had to shout it out! Plus the Democrats are a bunch of stinky poopers. It had to be said.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Media is being played by republican polling. Current polling is seen to be inconsistent with early voting turnout, which is heavily democratic, in some cases heavier than 2020. Personally I think the democrats have been fine with this as it has allowed them to panic their voters into increasing get out the vote efforts, and helps with the late push for raising cash. Republicans of course will use this to claim the elections are rigged if they lose. Something for everyone.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:03 pm Media is being played by republican polling. Current polling is seen to be inconsistent with early voting turnout, which is heavily democratic, in some cases heavier than 2020. Personally I think the democrats have been fine with this as it has allowed them to panic their voters into increasing get out the vote efforts, and helps with the late push for raising cash. Republicans of course will use this to claim the elections are rigged if they lose. Something for everyone.
Polling is of “likely voters”. As identified by what, GetIt’s magic fractal 8-ball?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:08 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:03 pm Media is being played by republican polling. Current polling is seen to be inconsistent with early voting turnout, which is heavily democratic, in some cases heavier than 2020. Personally I think the democrats have been fine with this as it has allowed them to panic their voters into increasing get out the vote efforts, and helps with the late push for raising cash. Republicans of course will use this to claim the elections are rigged if they lose. Something for everyone.
Polling is of “likely voters”. As identified by what, GetIt’s magic fractal 8-ball?
Youngsters tend not to register as among likely voters, Harvard research shows youngsters are likely to come out in greater numbers this year. I have anecdotal evidence that youngsters are coming out this year. Two unmarried ~30 year olds I know who have never voted before, one white, one black seem very enthusiastic in voting this year. Seem to be motivated by the republiCON threat to democracy. Will see if they follow through.

I also suspect, no proof, a lot of lying to pollsters is going on among the "2nd class citizen" cohort of the republiCON party. Again we will see.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

In my little corner of upstate NY I just read some troubling news( if you believe polls) our local congressman Joe Morelle who my wife graduated from HS with and has known for decades has served in one of the most gerrymandered and protected seats in these parts. Louise Slaughter served this same district for 16 terms. The Dems are spending huge money to boost Joes campaign. The culprit is LaRon Singletary who up until the Daniel Prude fiasco was the police chief for the city of Rochester. When you have a legit chance to win this congressional seat as a republican in this neck of the woods the Democrats have issues to get squared away. This is a seat that should be a no brainier for the Dems to win. Louise Slaughter never had a problem in 32 years. I apologize in advance if this opinion is too narrow in scope. I was just stunned to see that Joes opponent even had a snowballs chance in hell of winning
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:38 am

It looks like a Petey doppelganger account created because he's banned until after the midterms to allow him to gloat over election results.
He just has to behave nicely for a week or so. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a fan goes for it hook, line and sinker. :oops:
I got jacked by another one who is feeding from behind the crease.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:38 am
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:33 am (someone commented why I'd first post in a politics forum while on a lacrosse website; one, politics interests me, which I'd hope would be enough reason!, and literally the election is in 8 days so it's hot; but two and as importantly, lacrosse doesn't start for four more months...I have a lot to say about the Terps, but I probably need to be somewhat circumspect on what I say)

How did you find the Fanlax Politics forum?
You see there’s this AI algorithm and a thing called Bots…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:46 am The suspect in the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi had a list of people he wanted to target, law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation confirmed to CBS News.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe04M3uHddY
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:17 pm In my little corner of upstate NY I just read some troubling news( if you believe polls) our local congressman Joe Morelle who my wife graduated from HS with and has known for decades has served in one of the most gerrymandered and protected seats in these parts. Louise Slaughter served this same district for 16 terms. The Dems are spending huge money to boost Joes campaign. The culprit is LaRon Singletary who up until the Daniel Prude fiasco was the police chief for the city of Rochester. When you have a legit chance to win this congressional seat as a republican in this neck of the woods the Democrats have issues to get squared away. This is a seat that should be a no brainier for the Dems to win. Louise Slaughter never had a problem in 32 years. I apologize in advance if this opinion is too narrow in scope. I was just stunned to see that Joes opponent even had a snowballs chance in hell of winning

I don't think most folks on the internet understand just how dangerous cities like Rochester have become. As a result, most representatives should be worried about their election chances this year, and I'd say that is true for both D's and R's, but especially D's.

Governor Murphy was all over television this morning saying for a split second that 'Democrats understand crime is a problem', then spending 45 minutes laughing with the various media heads that 'Oz is a resident of Bergen County' (because that's funny, get it, Oz is running in Pennsylvania when he owns a house in NJ, so why discuss real world problems when you can get a laugh out of a sympathetic media friend...priorities, man). No discussion of bail reform, sentencing, police staffing, Covid vax terminations of police...

He caused another 50,000 voters to switch to Republican. You should recall this guy nearly lost to a complete unknown in NJ in '21.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Rochester was in the top 25 safest U.S. cities among those with populations of 210,000 or more people, according to 2021 estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:52 am Rochester was in the top 25 safest U.S. cities among those with populations of 210,000 or more people, according to 2021 estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau.
I don't agree with that data. The city just had homicide # 68 last night at around 2am this morning. Maybe the Census Bureau report can define how they determine if a city is safe? Alot of mostly younger black men are not benefitting from all of this new found safety they never knew they had. They are winding up in the morgue. Too often as of late they are guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when disputes are handled with what side has more weapons. Your bad if you find yourself in the middle of a gunfight.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”