Colgate 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan2424

Colgate 2019

Post by laxfan2424 »

Coaching staff in place, Karweck, Crawley (OC), and Cooper(DC).
Very young staff with hopefully current or better philosophies for both sides of midline.
As said last year, the talent is there for consistent PL success. Hoping to see that start this year.
laxfan2424

Re: Colgate 2019

Post by laxfan2424 »

Anyone have news of fall ball schedule? Yale and Providence last year along with Hill Academy.
laxerdad66

Post by laxerdad66 »

Team is very excited with the new coaches, plenty of talent on the roster lets hope the build an offense and defense that suits the talent. Let's also hop they make game time adjustments, last year non existent and we lost a few games because of it. No news on Fall Ball but Yale is out as they will be playing Team USA.
laxfan2424

Post by laxfan2424 »

Colgate at the HeadStrong University City Classic on Sunday. Scrimmages vs Robert Morris then Drexel. Curious to see how the team is 6 weeks under a new regime. Heard the philosophy was to peak at start of Patriot League play.
I hear weather will be very Hamilton-like in Philly.
CreaseLightning

Post by CreaseLightning »

Any insights from those in attendance would be much appreciated.
CreaseLightning

laxerdad66

Post by laxerdad66 »

CreaseLightning wrote:A good listen.
https://m.mixcloud.com/insidelacrossepo ... t-karweck/
I listened to it a few weeks ago, tremendous! I understand now why all the men on the team are so excited!
CreaseLightning

Statistics from laxreference.com hold reasons for optimism.

Last year's offensive efficiency: Top 10 in D1 - most of this offensive production returns in 2019.
Last year's defensive efficiency: Bottom 10 in D1 - 2019 can't be any worse.
(Returning 2019 players accounted for 77% of last year's total number of plays - this has to be close to tops in D1)
laxfan2424

Post by laxfan2424 »

Had the chance to go to Albany to watch the scrimmage that got moved from Saturday in Hamilton to Friday in the bubble at Albany.
Colgate offense looks free flowing and loose. Defense still a bit of a work in progress but appears to be much improved over last year.

Neither defense had a stop early in game. Then both defenses got their legs under them.
5-4 Albany after 1, 9-8 Albany at half, 13-11 Colgate after 3 with most starters on both teams still in.

4th quarter went to bench for both teams and game ended 14-13. a 5th quarter was played and I did not keep score.

Colgate FO and wings was dominant winning over what seemed top be 80%.
Tehoka was fun to watch with a between the legs backhand shot on goal at one time.

Heard Albany parents say that their defense cannot withstand opponent FO of 80% this year. Not built for that.

All told, Colgate looked good against a ranked team.

Will see for real at Syracuse Friday night.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

I think you summed it up well.

I bet the face off's were at least 70% - 80% in favor of Colgate. Your guy won a few clean, but if I recall only one or two forward, and it was more about Colgate's superior wing play. Even away from face off's, Colgate just did a much better job on the 50/50 balls.

Just to add some context, for some reason Albany's starting LSM played very little and same for one of the starting close defenders who was hurt.

In the 2nd quarter Albany had a chance to put it away. I think we had it 8-4 at one point, but could never get a make it take it, or got sloppy and Colgate made a nice rally to close out the half and that continued into the 3rd quarter.

We had it 14-14 and then as you said the last quarter where I think Albany pulled away for the victory :D

I thought Colgate looked really good and it should be a much better season in Hamilton this year.
Gatelaxfan

Post by Gatelaxfan »

Nice write up re Del scrimmage on Del site. Sounds like team will be fun to watch this year.
Yale apparently played Cuse tough today as well so both squads should be ready to rumble next Sat😀
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The (Bullis) Bulldogs’ talented trio of attackmen — (Steven) Shollenberger, (Nicky) Petkevich and junior Alex Trippi — all finished with hat tricks
From when Bullis won the IAC a few years back.
Their starting attack - all top recruits.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

This game doesn’t surprise me even a little bit. I saw this Colgate squad play down at Delaware a couple weeks ago. They’ve got a ton of offensive talent and Karweck has them playing hard 100 percent of the time. Big motor team. I mentioned that I thought they’d give Loyola and Lehigh a run this year and I still believe that.

Really enjoy watching this team play.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Nice job by Colgate today against Syracuse. Raiders kept their poise when things got dicey.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Impressive showing. Congratulations to Coach Karweck on his first Colgate win.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CreaseLightning

Colgate showed some interesting lineup changes in the Cuse game vs. last year's. Credit the coaches for bringing in a new perspective. Last year I predicted a bounce-back season and ended up being wrong. But maybe I was just early...
laxfan2424

Post by laxfan2424 »

Don't know what to take away from this past game vs Lehigh.
3 of 20 FO, 10 vs 31 ground balls, but only losing by 2.
3rd quarter, putting in poles on the FO but 2nd FOGO on the sideline? Was he hurt?
Offense came out hot after the half down 6-2, scored 4 straight to tie it, then Lehigh comes back with 3 straight.
Interesting lineup changes with Hawkins running Mid and noticeably absent it the 2nd half.
Colgate came out a bit slow, forgivable having been off for 12 days, and picked up as game went along. Unforced turnovers again an issue early and then to not win face offs made for a long day for the defense. Mullin made some excellent stops.
Hobart game postponement maybe hurt more than anticipated.

Looking forward to Boston to see how team responds this week.
Gatelaxfan

Post by Gatelaxfan »

Good rebound today against a good BU team.
We just have to keep grinding and stay focused.
Strength of schedule helps us so far with both MD and Lehigh playing well
Gatelaxfan

Post by Gatelaxfan »

Holy Cross game today and whatever transition offense there was has totally vanished...we seem way too cautious and afraid of making mistakes. Depressing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”