2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
get it to x

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by get it to x »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm Will be interesting to see how the vote turns out next month here in Lake Wobegone. Right wingers are claiming Governor Walz and State AG Keith Ellison did not do enough to stop the summer 2020 riots and emphasize that in their campaigns. Of course, they overlook the fact that it was Republicans who refused to impose police reforms that would have avoided those troubles completely. As always, it is the Republicans who cause the problems but they always manage to put the blame on Democrats who stupidly persist in turning the other cheek rather than to swing back with the truth.

Can you believe ~ some right wingnuts are even blaming Walz for the inflation! Haven't looked close enough but I believe they are also accusing him of causing high gas prices. For all we know they are even blaming him for the Fall in the Garden of Eden.
All of those riots could have been avoided if one person didn't resist arrest. This is a recurring theme in a lot of these riots. The cop in the case of George Floyd is in jail, and rightly so. But this was avoidable. And now, we're going to avoid it by letting every accused felon back on to the street and have the cops doing the avoiding because "What for?"

Safety is a survival instinct issue, unlike choice or transgender theory. The voter who is a one issue voter isn't going to be persuaded to vote against their issue unless safety/survival is at stake.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

All of those riots could have been avoided if one person didn't resist arrest.

You conveniently forgot that the murderous cop pleaded guilty to the crime which led to all this.

As I've written here before, in Minnesota you must first ascertain whether someone knows he/she is using counterfeit money before you can accuse them of the crime of counterfeiting. The cashier and store manager both admitted they made no such effort. Further, the cops also admitted they did not ask as well. Thus, the crime was in arresting George Floyd since nobody was aware if he was actually aware that the currency was not real. I know it was a long while ago but I have previously mentioned that a white neighbor of mine had a fake $20 (counterfeiters were very active here in Lake Wobegone a couple of decades ago). He was not aware it was fake. Nobody arrested him. He simply reached into his pocket, got another bill and then exchanged the fake bill at some bank. Case closed. That's how to handle such a situation - no need to arrest anyone. Had they treated Mr Floyd like they treat white folks there would never have been any problem. No justice, no peace - just like it says in the Bible.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:32 am
All of those riots could have been avoided if one person didn't resist arrest.

You conveniently forgot that the murderous cop pleaded guilty to the crime which led to all this.

As I've written here before, in Minnesota you must first ascertain whether someone knows he/she is using counterfeit money before you can accuse them of the crime of counterfeiting. The cashier and store manager both admitted they made no such effort. Further, the cops also admitted they did not ask as well. Thus, the crime was in arresting George Floyd since nobody was aware if he was actually aware that the currency was not real. I know it was a long while ago but I have previously mentioned that a white neighbor of mine had a fake $20 (counterfeiters were very active here in Lake Wobegone a couple of decades ago). He was not aware it was fake. Nobody arrested him. He simply reached into his pocket, got another bill and then exchanged the fake bill at some bank. Case closed. That's how to handle such a situation - no need to arrest anyone. Had they treated Mr Floyd like they treat white folks there would never have been any problem. No justice, no peace - just like it says in the Bible.
I posted "The cop in the case of George Floyd is in jail, and rightly so." I guess you just read the first sentence and went into outrage mode. Or you left out my whole post to make your point. You missed your calling. You should have been an MSNBC editor.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

In your anger you missed your own line about "All of those riots could have been avoided if one person didn't resist arrest." Again, it was not the resistance which caused it. It was the murderous cop who did. Mebbe you should work for Fox some day.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:06 pm In your anger you missed your own line about "All of those riots could have been avoided if one person didn't resist arrest." Again, it was not the resistance which caused it. It was the murderous cop who did. Mebbe you should work for Fox some day.
No anger at all. Agree with you 100% on Chauvin. Don't agree that we can do away with robust law enforcement. Cops should never infringe on civil liberties, but they shouldn't stand around and watch a store be looted. It might help if people like you didn't sew so much distrust in police that you make it harder for them to do their jobs. It might also help if we educated young people how to handle an encounter with police. Everyone has a part to play to make it work.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

Hi Everyone:

I'm obviously a new poster, and also a relatively recent grad of UMD (depending on your interpretation of 'recent': 2002). I am a New York resident (for now; waiting to see what occurs shortly with out governor's race). I've been reading this board for a while but never felt compelled to sign up; frankly I'm more interested in Wheels' Maryland lacrosse comments! But the election is near, so...

First, I appreciate the owners' work to create a lacrosse website.

Unfortunately for the politics thread today, I don't have anything specific to say other than who I am and maybe a quick synopsis of my philosophy. I also wanted to let some of the few Republicans here know that I'm also a Republican and support most conservative views (less the hard line about abortion; I agree to 15 weeks; I tend to favor immigration but obviously not open borders). I'm VERY patriotic. This country of ours is great; I'd caution everyone to never bet against America, internally or externally.

I'm not a Trumper but I understand his appeal regardless how reckless or unimpressive he is. I don't think Trump will ultimately run. If Trump is indicted, I shall shed no tears.

Though most of you disagree, I like Desantis a tremendous amount and believe he will be my party's nominee in 2024. I like Lee Zeldin so much I might be a kool-aid drinker for him. Hochul is an unmitigated disaster in too may ways to count; she has chased many of my democratic friends into voting for Zeldin. New York is a brutal state to run, but quality leadership would go a long way to helping turn a very unfortunate series of events here. I like your man CradleandShoot here; he obviously lives in Rochester and realizes my next sentence; few non New Yorkers realize how incredibly dangerous that city is any longer.

On the other side of the aisle, I firmly believe the Democratic Party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizarre sect of identity politic fanatics, which is very likely to eliminate many of their current politicians from public office on November 8. You can read even on these boards the flirtation (if not outright adoration) of some of the most extreme identity politics mania...that strikes me as not simply bizarre but self-defeating (it also strikes Barack Obama as bizarre and likely to cause losses).

At the end of the day, elections often become referendums on the economy. No matter how much you want to debate statistics, voters know better than statisticians and economists; if they feel insecure, that is what matters. And today, the voters are wildly insecure about their personal finances. I don't need to tell you who will pay for that feeling.

As you can tell with my name, the discussion of Elon Musk might arise from time to time. He fascinates me in many ways. I realize he isn't well received by most Democrats, especially after purchasing Twitter, but there can be zero doubt that this guy will likely be remembered hundreds of years from now.

That said, have a great day everyone. Don't forget to go outside.
a fan

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm Though most of you disagree, I like Desantis a tremendous amount and believe he will be my party's nominee in 2024.
First off, welcome aboard.

Second, what do you like about DeSantis, and what changes do you think he'll make when he's voted in in 2024?
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm On the other side of the aisle, I firmly believe the Democratic Party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizarre sect of identity politic fanatics, which is very likely to eliminate many of their current politicians from public office on November 8. You can read even on these boards the flirtation (if not outright adoration) of some of the most extreme identity politics mania...that strikes me as not simply bizarre but self-defeating (it also strikes Barack Obama as bizarre and likely to cause losses).
If you ask the libs, they'll tell you that your party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists.

Sense the problem? Or do you agree that your party is wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:26 pm
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm Though most of you disagree, I like Desantis a tremendous amount and believe he will be my party's nominee in 2024.

Second, what do you like about DeSantis, and what changes do you think he'll make when he's voted in in 2024?
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm On the other side of the aisle, I firmly believe the Democratic Party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizarre sect of identity politic fanatics, which is very likely to eliminate many of their current politicians from public office on November 8. You can read even on these boards the flirtation (if not outright adoration) of some of the most extreme identity politics mania...that strikes me as not simply bizarre but self-defeating (it also strikes Barack Obama as bizarre and likely to cause losses).
If you ask the libs, they'll tell you that your party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists.

Sense the problem? Or do you agree that your party is wholly captive to an extremely bizzare sect of conspiracy theorists and white supremecists?
I often wonder how a person’s first post is to the politics thread on a Lax Forum? I was on for years before I discovered the politics forum……Interesting.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:31 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:15 pm
get it to x wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:56 pm Pretty good article here on using data in determining voter roll integrity as well as drilling down on individual voter habits and preferences. It argues fractal computing is way ahead of the technology the Dems are using, calling their method the Big Data Titanic.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... nicem.html
"We fund 90% of this ourselves"...MyPillow guy :roll:
Mike Lindell is your George Soros, except only one of them is trying to destroy our Republic.
Lindell.

Insane to compare Soros and Lindell. And I've been loudly critical of some of Soros actions and more importantly his white washing of how he made his money off the backs of English citizenry (don't buy the it's ok becuase it was bad monetary and fiscal policy and someone was going to slam the country and more important be the specific reason the people are eating each other while you take your promote out of Quantum - when you short an asset your betting on it to go to ZERO value fundamentally due to the asymmetric risk/reward of shorting and cost of carry)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:39 pm

I often wonder how a person’s first post is to the politics thread on a Lax Forum? I was on for years before I discovered the politics forum……Interesting.
Sometime wonder how I got over here myself from starting on LP as a Hobart cheerleader and aspirational best troll ever to Syracuse and Cornell. We come correct in Geneva, the refs suck too. Clearly it was a mistake to drop our whack baseball program when lacrosse moved up to D1 - we're clearly a breeding ground for great pitching prospects!

Umass tried to copy us but they were only an imitator (god rest IMP that dude was one of my all time favorites along with Artful Dodger, straight class human beings to the end)

https://dailyorange.com/2005/03/fish-ou ... st-hobart/

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/4/5/ ... lent-start
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not fiction.
Desko said the tradition used to be even more involved. Hobart fans would sit in the parking lot drinking beer and drop their pants toward an opposing team’s bus.
Bart fans are the best. BEND OVER AND LOOK AT THE GAME WITH YOUR GOOD EYE, REF!!!! A Bart fan classic never to be forgotten by this fan who was in attendance for the gem.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:19 am
Brooklyn wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm Will be interesting to see how the vote turns out next month here in Lake Wobegone. Right wingers are claiming Governor Walz and State AG Keith Ellison did not do enough to stop the summer 2020 riots and emphasize that in their campaigns. Of course, they overlook the fact that it was Republicans who refused to impose police reforms that would have avoided those troubles completely. As always, it is the Republicans who cause the problems but they always manage to put the blame on Democrats who stupidly persist in turning the other cheek rather than to swing back with the truth.

Can you believe ~ some right wingnuts are even blaming Walz for the inflation! Haven't looked close enough but I believe they are also accusing him of causing high gas prices. For all we know they are even blaming him for the Fall in the Garden of Eden.
All of those riots could have been avoided if one person didn't resist arrest. This is a recurring theme in a lot of these riots. The cop in the case of George Floyd is in jail, and rightly so. But this was avoidable. And now, we're going to avoid it by letting every accused felon back on to the street and have the cops doing the avoiding because "What for?"

Safety is a survival instinct issue, unlike choice or transgender theory. The voter who is a one issue voter isn't going to be persuaded to vote against their issue unless safety/survival is at stake.
Alright, I get it now. Took a littlt bit for me to catch up but I get the joke and finally see the cadence...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:47 pm Not fiction.
Desko said the tradition used to be even more involved. Hobart fans would sit in the parking lot drinking beer and drop their pants toward an opposing team’s bus.
Bart fans are the best. BEND OVER AND LOOK AT THE GAME WITH YOUR GOOD EYE, REF!!!! A Bart fan classic never to be forgotten by this fan who was in attendance for the gem.
I hate Cuse and all of you but also mad RESPEK!

We train our fans. Some may think it's indoctrination, I call it building a solid foundation in character like the Greeks.
elonmuskrockefeller

Post by elonmuskrockefeller »

I’m probably not the most partisan guy tbh. For instance, I don’t feel the two parties are (at their core) very different. I do feel that from time to time, the extreme end of a party can control the tone and direction of it. I feel that’s true today for the Democratic Party. Biden taking time out to be interviewed by Dylan Mulvaney the other day is a prime example of that. You’ve got many serious issues confronting this country with people very nervous about their finances and security, but you sit down for two hours with a trans activist with a very questionable background?

Nevertheless, I tend to focus more on my own party and less the other. It’s depressing to me when I see one of these nutcase Qanon guys gaining attention, more so when a Republican politician begins to resemble one. Some of these politicians just can’t shut up, they love the sound of their own voice. Like I said, you can remove several of them in any election and I will not be disappointed. They’re toxic to the party.

I’m hoping our party refocuses on what has made us traditionally more appealing to voters: family values, smaller government, strong military. Truthfully, I think as a party we have gotten away from some of that, especially smaller government. I’d like to see us return. And I do believe we will; I’ll be very disappointed if we win the House and Senate, and then spend two years conducting bull-crap investigations rather than governing.

Regarding Desantis, I doubt my answer will be satisfactory, but I like his leadership skills. I can’t point to any specific policy per se. Sometimes a great politician is someone who responds effectively to disasters or challenges, rather than completely rewriting the book on whatever philosophy they represent. From the outside looking in, he has been extremely effective, underscored by the coming election where he’s set to take about 20% of the Democratic vote. Youngkin is doing similar things in Virginia, popular guys with state residents though not necessarily with media and more partisan Democrats. When any politician wins a solid chunk of the other party, I pay attention. The guy has ‘it’.

I think Zeldin can do the same if he can win. God knows we need it. I can say that when Blakeman got control of Nassau County, it was if life changed for the better for everyone in that county. I live in Westchester, and our executive Latimer (Democrat) is okay; I’d have preferred Astorino, but such is life.

Ok. Hope that sort of answered things though I doubt you’re happy with the reply.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

get it to x wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:38 pm

No anger at all. Agree with you 100% on Chauvin. Don't agree that we can do away with robust law enforcement. Cops should never infringe on civil liberties, but they shouldn't stand around and watch a store be looted. It might help if people like you didn't sew so much distrust in police that you make it harder for them to do their jobs. It might also help if we educated young people how to handle an encounter with police. Everyone has a part to play to make it work.

Contrary to your deluded beliefs, I'm making it easier for cops to do their job. Just obey the law, adhere to the Constitution and to the principles of law, justice, and equity, and we will have a better and safer society. Cops need to stop abusing people, selling drugs, and taking payoffs from the Mafia and organized criminals. And most importantly, they need to stop targeting people based on their ethnicity or skin color.

Young people do not need to be educated as to how to deal with cops. On the contrary, the Constitution imposes limits on the government so that it is the cops who need to be properly trained. Unfortunately, far too many people like you fail to understand the proper role of government and citizens rights. This is why you persist in your myth making that the cops are ever so innocent and that all else are to blame for the mess we have in society.

As for looting, see my earlier links to police agent provocateurs and white supremacists who caused the troubles we saw in the summer of 2020.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://docs.house.gov/meetings/JU/JU00 ... -SD019.pdf

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:14 pm Hi Everyone:

I'm obviously a new poster, and also a relatively recent grad of UMD (depending on your interpretation of 'recent': 2002). I am a New York resident (for now; waiting to see what occurs shortly with out governor's race). I've been reading this board for a while but never felt compelled to sign up; frankly I'm more interested in Wheels' Maryland lacrosse comments! But the election is near, so...

First, I appreciate the owners' work to create a lacrosse website.

Unfortunately for the politics thread today, I don't have anything specific to say other than who I am and maybe a quick synopsis of my philosophy. I also wanted to let some of the few Republicans here know that I'm also a Republican and support most conservative views (less the hard line about abortion; I agree to 15 weeks; I tend to favor immigration but obviously not open borders). I'm VERY patriotic. This country of ours is great; I'd caution everyone to never bet against America, internally or externally.

I'm not a Trumper but I understand his appeal regardless how reckless or unimpressive he is. I don't think Trump will ultimately run. If Trump is indicted, I shall shed no tears.

Though most of you disagree, I like Desantis a tremendous amount and believe he will be my party's nominee in 2024. I like Lee Zeldin so much I might be a kool-aid drinker for him. Hochul is an unmitigated disaster in too may ways to count; she has chased many of my democratic friends into voting for Zeldin. New York is a brutal state to run, but quality leadership would go a long way to helping turn a very unfortunate series of events here. I like your man CradleandShoot here; he obviously lives in Rochester and realizes my next sentence; few non New Yorkers realize how incredibly dangerous that city is any longer.

On the other side of the aisle, I firmly believe the Democratic Party has become wholly captive to an extremely bizarre sect of identity politic fanatics, which is very likely to eliminate many of their current politicians from public office on November 8. You can read even on these boards the flirtation (if not outright adoration) of some of the most extreme identity politics mania...that strikes me as not simply bizarre but self-defeating (it also strikes Barack Obama as bizarre and likely to cause losses).

At the end of the day, elections often become referendums on the economy. No matter how much you want to debate statistics, voters know better than statisticians and economists; if they feel insecure, that is what matters. And today, the voters are wildly insecure about their personal finances. I don't need to tell you who will pay for that feeling.

As you can tell with my name, the discussion of Elon Musk might arise from time to time. He fascinates me in many ways. I realize he isn't well received by most Democrats, especially after purchasing Twitter, but there can be zero doubt that this guy will likely be remembered hundreds of years from now.

That said, have a great day everyone. Don't forget to go outside.
... looks like KellyAnne has a new persona. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:26 pm I’m probably not the most partisan guy tbh. For instance, I don’t feel the two parties are (at their core) very different. I do feel that from time to time, the extreme end of a party can control the tone and direction of it. I feel that’s true today for the Democratic Party. Biden taking time out to be interviewed by Dylan Mulvaney the other day is a prime example of that. You’ve got many serious issues confronting this country with people very nervous about their finances and security, but you sit down for two hours with a trans activist with a very questionable background?
You didn't answer my question. You instead doubled down on your negative view of the other party. But that's okay.
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:26 pm I’m hoping our party refocuses on what has made us traditionally more appealing to voters: family values, smaller government, strong military. Truthfully, I think as a party we have gotten away from some of that, especially smaller government. I’d like to see us return. And I do believe we will; I’ll be very disappointed if we win the House and Senate, and then spend two years conducting bull-crap investigations rather than governing.
I cant tell you precisely what will happen: your party will run the same playbook they have for 20 years: clutch pearls, and tell its base that spending is bad "therefore" they can't in good conscience sign one single bill for the next two years.

They did it for the last six years of Obama. No bills. Not one. Have a look....the only bill they passed, outside of naming post offices (not kidding, have a look) was the sequester. Do you remember what that was?

That's what's coming. They've already started.

Question three: regarding smaller government, how much bigger or smaller was the Federal Government when Trump left?

And lastly: when was the last time a Republican President or governor cut total Government spending (this includes a State getting money from the Federal .gov) from one year to the next?
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:26 pm Regarding Desantis, I doubt my answer will be satisfactory, but I like his leadership skills. I can’t point to any specific policy per se. Sometimes a great politician is someone who responds effectively to disasters or challenges, rather than completely rewriting the book on whatever philosophy they represent. From the outside looking in, he has been extremely effective, underscored by the coming election where he’s set to take about 20% of the Democratic vote.
20% of registered Dems will vote for DeSantis? Source?
elonmuskrockefeller wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:26 pm Ok. Hope that sort of answered things though I doubt you’re happy with the reply.
Well outside of not answering one of my questions.....you're wrong, your replies are just fine. Thank you for taking the time to answer at least some of my questions.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:21 pm

Sometime wonder how I got over here myself from starting on LP as a Hobart cheerleader and aspirational best troll ever to Syracuse and Cornell. We come correct in Geneva, the refs suck too. Clearly it was a mistake to drop our whack baseball program when lacrosse moved up to D1 - we're clearly a breeding ground for great pitching prospects!

Umass tried to copy us but they were only an imitator (god rest IMP that dude was one of my all time favorites along with Artful Dodger, straight class human beings to the end)

Just bewildered how a person’s very first post is in the politics forum on a lax site.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 pm

Just bewildered how a person’s very first post is in the politics forum on a lax site.
Makes little sense to me. Trying to assume positive intent but surely someone who’s using a new handle to create opacity would clearly have bad intentions and be a low rent character lacking integrity without a doubt. That we can agree on for sure!
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 pm

Obviously he’s impressed by DeSantis’ leaderships skills and just had to shout it out! Plus the Democrats are a bunch of stinky poopers. It had to be said.

Return to “POLITICS”