Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by oldbartman »

Once again (as always), Hobart comes out flat. Questionable reffing aside, the team could not stop St. Joe's transition offense. Pedicine had a bad day. SJU's fogo was impressive. The defense was slow to adjust and Hobart's shooting was terrible for 3 quarters. I don't know what the team was thinking going into this important game. The long and short of it is they got beat by a team that is supposed to be struggling in a rebuilding year. The top 20 ranking meant nothing and appears to have been a mistake. The only hope for the team now is to make the NEC tourney. Keep playing like today and that is questionable at best.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 pm Keep playing like today and that is questionable at best.
Hobart will make the NEC tournament. Keep your heads up; it's all left to play for still. A couple of losses don't end a season.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

When you have an 11-10 lead and the ball with 20 seconds to go and lose, that tells me this team doesn't have "it'. 3 games left to show if they are for real or pretenders.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:26 pm When you have an 11-10 lead and the ball with 20 seconds to go and lose, that tells me this teamdoesn't have "it'. 3 games left to show if they are for real or pretenders.
Unbelievable way to lose a game...
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Heard the feed while I was traveling to CT so I didn’t get to see how we lost the ball in the last few seconds to give it back to Hawks for the tie. 9-26 at the faceoff x hurt especially at end of 3rd and in OT. Looks like we’ve gotten away from playing unselfish team offense over the last handful of games and have looked to the “me game”. That can be corrected by the coaches because they have the ultimate lever- playing time.

I would hate to see all the momentum we had from the first half of the season go away.
On a positive note - Madonna is playing with some real confidence.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

TopShelf585 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 am Heard the feed while I was traveling to CT so I didn’t get to see how we lost the ball in the last few seconds to give it back to Hawks for the tie. 9-26 at the faceoff x hurt especially at end of 3rd and in OT. Looks like we’ve gotten away from playing unselfish team offense over the last handful of games and have looked to the “me game”. That can be corrected by the coaches because they have the ultimate lever- playing time.

I would hate to see all the momentum we had from the first half of the season go away.
On a positive note - Madonna is playing with some real confidence.

The St. Joe’s recap of the game will give you a flavor for exactly how miraculous their victory was. We pretty much handed the game away on a couple of plays. They scored one goal earlier in the game with about 15 seconds left in the quarter right after we had scored. Then the goal with .06 seconds left? Get out of town. That sort of stuff just cannot happen. That’s two of their goals with the horn virtually blowing. Credit must go to the St. Joe’s defense. We outshot them by a large margin but many of the shots were directly into the goalie’s stick as I think we panicked a bit as a result of their tightly packed defense. In general, I think teams have figured out how to play our offense to cause it to stall out. I’d expect to see the same thing from Bryant next week. Madonna is playing great. Maybe some of our other players can start to figure out how to hit their shots too. Can’t fault the effort on the offense, but you do have to question how come all opposing goalies have record days against us. Our defense also continues to leave Sam out to dry way too much. Time to tighten up gentlemen.

Question: Right before the turnover pass with 6 seconds left we passed up on an open net. It wouldn’t have been a slam dunk shot (there was a lot of chaos going on), but it would have put the game away. Not faulting anyone here, but do you go to the goal in such instances or not? St. Joe’s had their goalie out working for that turnover and got exactly what they wanted. Our player was trapped on the sideline and was forced into a desperation pass that didn’t click. That was unfortunate. What was truly unbelievable was how easily the Hawks scored with the 6 seconds left. The dude was completely uncovered on that play.

Back to the drawing board. The heart of the NEC schedule is still Head of us.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Despite Cooper Stefaniak publicly trashing his offensive teammates a few weeks ago, this is the same problem we’ve had the entire time under Poillon in terms of quality shooting. It’s his midfield driven mindset while our top 7-8 offensive players are really all natural attackmen.

That and the constant giving up lasts econd goals which seems to date back to at least Kerwick and maybe Bj Ohara

And on the offense va this is what I was talking about back with the Wagner game
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

2 games in a row our "high scoring" offense has been shut down. To much me ball and not enough off ball movement make this offense easy to stop. The defense HAS to stay on their man. The last 2 St. Joe's goals were scored by untouched shooters. Back to basics at this point........
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Had to miss the SJU game because of travel. The result was horrible, but not as horrible as reading about how we lost. There is still plenty of time for the NEC, and even to host. But we should be all out to run the table now.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

To answer the question of whether to have attacked the goal: yes, without doubt. Lacrosse is so offensively oriented now that stall ball and keep away are weak options. Plus, this team doesn't play a time management style well. They are young and they panic. We saw the same thing way back against Cornell.
The are currently playing with the style of previous years, and seem to have lost confidence and swagger. Let the men run and bring back assists.
I don't like mentioning names or calling out people, so I'll just say that for the last half of SU, and SJU?, they seemed to be bound up, tight, and not enjoying playing ... that's what the one on one ball tells me.
I do think it would help us to have a tougher preNEC schedule.
BUT, they are still in it if they go after it. 8-3 is not pretend.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Congratulations to Franklin marquet and Tyler Skretny for being named Phi beta kappa. Let’s follow up such a tremendous academic honor with a tremendous athletic bounceback this Saturday against Bryant. We have plenty of upperclassmen contributing all all facets of the program. If ever there were a moment in need of leadership to take advantage of a very real opportunity to still have a special season it’s in these last three conference games. And hosting the conference playoffs is still very much a possibility. But now they’ve been punched in the mouth. Who’s going to step up now?
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Well, reality has presented itself in the last two games. SU is SU, move on and shake it off, but the SJ game should have been a W. DO NOT fall into a shell like in past seasons, this team has talent on O and we need to get back to team offense. The Defense has improved, but the fundamentals at the end of the SJ game yielded to an "oh sh**" moment....move on, put it in the past and kick the Bulldogs butt. We can still host the NEC with three wins and some help from The Mount or SHU by beating SJ....all this can likely happen, but it starts with winning Saturday.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Reality includes a hungry Bryant and hot RoMo and MSM teams. It's a good league for us.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

All 3 of the teams remaining on our schedule beat us last season. That alone should be enough motivation for the team to come out and kick some ass!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I can’t stand Pressler. Respect him but have felt there’s something personal between him and Hobart going back 35yra. We need a win anyway, this is probably one of the weakest Bryan teams Pressler has had and were at home.

Here’s to hoping we beat them down today so badly Pressler gets the Lane Kiffin treatment while he’s tying to get in the bus leaving Geneva after the game. (“Uhh, walk towards 5&20 and stick your thumb out I guess”)
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

:lol:
Pressler will crank down on a zone and try to dictate the pace. I hope I don't have to watch a bunch of around the perimeter patience today by our O. They are better when they are exuberant. Get Knox and other box guys cutting, get Aslanian firing assists, get Madonna shooting the cannon outside. The only brake I hope for is a limit on one on one play and no shots at the goalies chest. Take the swagger back. Go Bart!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

With all due respect to our opponents, if we lose 5 straight to finish the season (after losing 4 straight in 2015 and that pathetic NEC championship loss in 2017) my feeling about this staff will completely transition to “prove it and prove it fast” because in a weaker league and the easiest schedule in all of Hobart d1 history he has done nothing more than any other D1 coach and we still have some malcontents on the team and a complete lack of leadership unlike any kerwick team.

Very very frustrated right now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Coming into this game Bryant had 9 or more goals in 4 games (4/11) and three games of 6 goals. 8.5g/gm season average. They are 3-8 and have 7 goals in Q2 at home?

What’s the problem? Defense not sliding? The offense not understanding how to break a zone in five years under Poillon? Is Turri not that good and got way too much credit for the Binghamton year they had Waldron (and atom moore)?
manyhats

Post by manyhats »

What a beautiful day at the Boz 70 degrees. what a shot Madonna got and Stanny going coast to coast. The way I seen it the slides are creating offense for Bryant and in the fourth qt. three guys sliding at the same time. A win is a win the guys fought hard and never gave up. Beat the Mount next week and see what happens.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

I thought we’d lose this game and they almost did. Why this staff still - literally years running - can’t get these kids ready for a 1st qtr baffles me. Thankfully the guys showed a lot of grit to keep coming back to tie it. Poillion has to go. Mapper is calling our offense “so darn predictable” pretty much says it all.

NEC is still wide open but slow starts and terrible shooting won’t win a championship. I want to be hopeful but there are some issues that need to be worked out. At least we aren’t looking at a repeat of 2015. A win’s a win.

Game balls to Lucchesi, Holden, Madonna and Pedicine for big games.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”