Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Elon Musk has taken control of Twitter and fired its top executives

"Parag Agrawal has to be one of the greatest shareholder CEOs of all time"

Will be interesting to see if this turns into a non-story with Musk running things as-is to make up his massive losses on the purchase, or runs it into the ground as advertisers jump ship.

I've made some idiotic impulsive drunk purchases over the years, but this is probably the one for all-time.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:13 pm Elon Musk has taken control of Twitter and fired its top executives

"Parag Agrawal has to be one of the greatest shareholder CEOs of all time"

Will be interesting to see if this turns into a non-story with Musk running things as-is to make up his massive losses on the purchase, or runs it into the ground as advertisers jump ship.

I've made some idiotic impulsive drunk purchases over the years, but this is probably the one for all-time.
"runs it into the ground as advertisers jump ship."

My money's on the latter.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:37 pm
I read that earlier.

Twitter ain’t critical to s**t in society and he’s going to ride his investment to zero. Just a question as to whether this drags the rest of his empire down with it the way he’s commingled his interests so incestuously and levered personally.
Twitter was on life support prior to the 2016 Trump campaign.

These sites made so much money off that clown show, then after he got kicked to the curb again and fomented the Jan 6 coup, they were like "guess we gotta close the barn doors."

Then everyone starts screeching about a private company's policies and Free Speech when flat out lies are finally called out. I'm sure there are a few false positives and a few legitimate complaints among the millions of lies, but that's what happens on a platform of that size.

Musk has stood on the shoulders of giants for much of his career. Done some things himself too.
You have to give the board credit for locking in $44Bn for the business. Did right HY their shareholders.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It wouldn’t surprise me if he split it and sold it all.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:56 am It wouldn’t surprise me if he split it and sold it all.
What is there to split and to whom :?:

If the advertisers aren't happy and they bolt it won't be worth squat. Musk overpaid as it is. Keep an eye on who really ultimately financed the deal

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/27/elon-mu ... s-say.html

He just immediately canned the CEO, CFO and CLO. He will owe them all $200 million in severance and to pay off their contracts.

The Saudis, represented by Prince Alwaleed, announced they are the second largest owner of Twitter following the LBO. Neato.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:43 pm
I read that earlier.

Twitter ain’t critical to s**t in society and he’s going to ride his investment to zero. Just a question as to whether this drags the rest of his empire down with it the way he’s commingled his interests so incestuously and levered personally.

These sites made so much money off that clown show, then after he got kicked to the curb again and fomented the Jan 6 coup, they were like "guess we gotta close the barn doors."

Then everyone starts screeching about a private company's policies and Free Speech when flat out lies are finally called out. I'm sure there are a few false positives and a few legitimate complaints among the millions of lies, but that's what happens on a platform of that size.

Musk has stood on the shoulders of giants for much of his career. Done some things himself too.
You have to give the board credit for locking in $44Bn for the business. Did right HY their shareholders.
Agreed; at this point it is the only real conclusion: the Board received an offer that its fiduciary obligations required it to investigate and accept, and it did, even in the face of Musk's effort to walk away from his promises. Now the hard part for Musk and his backers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:56 am It wouldn’t surprise me if he split it and sold it all.
There’s nothing to sell. The IP?

This isn’t a PE, unlock the sum of the parts and hope the buyers don’t realize the standalone operations, overhead and administrative costs that now have to be independently accounted for isn’t noticed. Can’t be done in an intangible world.

The company was sucking. You may think he’s a hidden genius but in this one he’s like the Time Warner execs handing over tangible assets to AOL…. (cash in this case, much of it leveraged money drawn from his Tesla equity which he’s done all over the street-imagine borrowing from 6 guys against your home equity)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:27 am

If the advertisers aren't happy and they bolt it won't be worth squat. Musk overpaid as it is
And everyone knows it. There’s no secret play. Unless he can get Trump to milk the idiot sheep who suck on his Teat for $50bn plus (because his money to buy Twitter costs wayyyy over 10% blended so he needs to make a return not to mention the cash interest expense on borrowings).

Now if he rolled Mercer, Trumps donors and every other MaGA idiot ok a flip, ripped off a Kamala shirt and slam dunked his check on the flip? That I would fall over laughing then applaud. But I’m pretty sure he just straight f**led up here. Question is does it take over Starlink and Tesla in the process? It’s convenient that the weeks leading into him being stuffed with this bad buy he’s up super into politics and trying to get money from governments more aggressively. Tesla doesn’t even really make a true resilient and repeatable profit even with the tax credits 15yrs (20?) into its existence.

Looking like he overplayed just hand both with the public and govts worldwide the last few years and it’s going to be game time real soon. The only way this works out is if he gets the “Musk goodwill premium” that tesla has where they can never be worth anywhere near its value today on any metric in human history. Like when MTG paid $75-$100/share on Trumps proposed but will never close SPAC truth social deal. Those shares are worth $10 and will be cashed out at $10. But doing it on a $250mm enterprise is far easier than on $44Bn.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:35 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:43 pm
I read that earlier.

Agreed; at this point it is the only real conclusion: the Board received an offer that its fiduciary obligations required it to investigate and accept, and it did, even in the face of Musk's effort to walk away from his promises. Now the hard part for Musk and his backers.
Always amazed when boards don’t follow legit and high offers. The airline deal involving JetBlue/Frontier/Spirit befuddles me. I wouldn’t want my money trusted with the Spirit board as example. They should be checking their D&O policy now IMO. (Spirit agrees to $2.6Bn merger from Frontier that kept more Mgt seats and board control in house, Jet Blue shows up with a very real and close able $3.9Bn deal and Spirit board doesn’t materially pursue sticks with the one that’s worth 1/3 less, they actively pushed back on it-can argue they stock is worth more in a present value of the first merger w lower consideration or that JetBlue would be screwed by dilution but at a sale you can cash out don’t have to stay in post merger and airlines are so volatile these days leaving a 50% premium on the table is criminal malpractice if not legally morally)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

I didn’t know allowing free speech is authoritarian. This is a pathetic attempt by the left to disguise what they truly are. When the left name calls, they actually are guilty of that name. When they call people fascists, racists, authoritarians etc, they are actually all of those things.

If you don’t like it, make your own twitter!!!
Last edited by Bandito on Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
NattyBohChamps04

Parler & Truth for the win! 🤡
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:45 am
Parler & Truth for the win! 🤡
Look in the mirror. Why are you against free speech? Why are you an authoritarian fascist?

Tighten your mask, make sure you take your 5th booster shot. The next few weeks are going to be scary for you.
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
NattyBohChamps04

Bless your heart
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:18 am

If the advertisers aren't happy and they bolt it won't be worth squat. Musk overpaid as it is
And everyone knows it. There’s no secret play. Unless he can get Trump to milk the idiot sheep who suck on his Teat for $50bn plus (because his money to buy Twitter costs wayyyy over 10% blended so he needs to make a return not to mention the cash interest expense on borrowings).

Now if he rolled Mercer, Trumps donors and every other MaGA idiot ok a flip, ripped off a Kamala shirt and slam dunked his check on the flip? That I would fall over laughing then applaud. But I’m pretty sure he just straight f**led up here. Question is does it take over Starlink and Tesla in the process? It’s convenient that the weeks leading into him being stuffed with this bad buy he’s up super into politics and trying to get money from governments more aggressively. Tesla doesn’t even really make a true resilient and repeatable profit even with the tax credits 15yrs (20?) into its existence.

Looking like he overplayed just hand both with the public and govts worldwide the last few years and it’s going to be game time real soon. The only way this works out is if he gets the “Musk goodwill premium” that tesla has where they can never be worth anywhere near its value today on any metric in human history. Like when MTG paid $75-$100/share on Trumps proposed but will never close SPAC truth social deal. Those shares are worth $10 and will be cashed out at $10. But doing it on a $250mm enterprise is far easier than on $44Bn.
https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ ... 022-10-05/

I wonder how this will look next to Citrix?
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:14 am
There’s nothing to sell. The IP?

This isn’t a PE, unlock the sum of the parts and hope the buyers don’t realize the standalone operations, overhead and administrative costs that now have to be independently accounted for isn’t noticed. Can’t be done in an intangible world.

The company was sucking. You may think he’s a hidden genius but in this one he’s like the Time Warner execs handing over tangible assets to AOL…. (cash in this case, much of it leveraged money drawn from his Tesla equity which he’s done all over the street-imagine borrowing from 6 guys against your home equity)
Actually, Time-Warner had a GREAT RUN for 10+ years after undoing the AOL deal and canning Jerry Levin.

They are back in the tank again now with Discovery.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:05 am

Interesting.
I dunno, seems to me that the 12.5B debt would be senior and likely recoverable...unless they haven't sufficiently secured it?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:37 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:00 pm Elon making a statement…..”let that sink in”, clever.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/158 ... 4_peb33-ow
He does make a lot of statements... Likes being the center of attention. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and the day after with the deadline coming up on the trial.
... he is not the only one. RepubliCON leaders like being the center of attention. The thug faction of the party is the same way. There is no organization big enough to contain all the egos. Musk fits right in. He is far less ideological than his lovers believe. Like Trump and DeSantis, his true ideology is himself. I am beginning to think the chick in Arizona, Lake has them all beat when it comes to being an attention whore.
Envy? The man has taken us to space for far less costs, built an robust EV company, has launched satellites that we rely on globally, and you are fussing about his ego.

Friendly reminder.....Trump is a democrat/RINO.
:lol: :lol: ... couldn't make it work in the democratic party.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:57 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:05 am

Interesting.
I dunno, seems to me that the 12.5B debt would be senior and likely recoverable...unless they haven't sufficiently secured it?
The margin loans are likely the only thing with real collateral. I am going to revisit the structure. A ton of equity. Not sure what kind of IRR is expected.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:37 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:48 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:00 pm Elon making a statement…..”let that sink in”, clever.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/158 ... 4_peb33-ow
He does make a lot of statements... Likes being the center of attention. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and the day after with the deadline coming up on the trial.
... he is not the only one. RepubliCON leaders like being the center of attention. The thug faction of the party is the same way. There is no organization big enough to contain all the egos. Musk fits right in. He is far less ideological than his lovers believe. Like Trump and DeSantis, his true ideology is himself. I am beginning to think the chick in Arizona, Lake has them all beat when it comes to being an attention whore.
Envy? The man has taken us to space for far less costs, built an robust EV company, has launched satellites that we rely on globally, and you are fussing about his ego.

Friendly reminder.....Trump is a democrat/RINO.
:lol: :lol: ... couldn't make it work in the democratic party.
Exactly! He moved up in the world. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”