Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by AreaLax »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:12 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:06 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm Are they doing the Capital Classic again this year? Terps-Georgetown at Audi Field would be pretty cool.
Heard they are scrimmaging Georgetown
Nice. If UVa is a “home”-and-home, then sounds like High Point would be the only other potential change.

Doubt that it would have mattered, but the Terps had almost all of their top opponents at home (ND being the exception), in and out of conference. Guess the bill for that comes due this year.
Richmond opening the season against Maryland

https://twitter.com/mmccollester/status ... mi_R0sVP3Q
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:09 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:12 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:06 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm Are they doing the Capital Classic again this year? Terps-Georgetown at Audi Field would be pretty cool.
Heard they are scrimmaging Georgetown
Nice. If UVa is a “home”-and-home, then sounds like High Point would be the only other potential change.

Doubt that it would have mattered, but the Terps had almost all of their top opponents at home (ND being the exception), in and out of conference. Guess the bill for that comes due this year.
Richmond opening the season against Maryland

https://twitter.com/mmccollester/status ... mi_R0sVP3Q
Thanks. That’s a quality early game. So OOC would be Richmond, Albany, Notre Dame, Syracuse, UVa, Princeton, and Loyola. Irish and Orange at home.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I noted that Dante Trader was listed on the Fall Ball roster. He is now very much involved as a starting safety with the now bowl eligible MD football team. He has stated that recovery time from football will a factor in his decision to join the lacrosse team in the Spring. Is it possible that he chooses to skip lacrosse again given that recovery time and acclamation to lax will take him into March before he is effective as a lacrosse coach player? I certainly don’t know the advanced physiology of recovery and then orientation to a different sport, but it sure looks impossible to me. It would also require his complete absence from off season weight work and Spring football. I wish him the best if he makes the effort to join lax in 2023.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Seahawk wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:20 pm I noted that Dante Trader was listed on the Fall Ball roster. He is now very much involved as a starting safety with the now bowl eligible MD football team. He has stated that recovery time from football will a factor in his decision to join the lacrosse team in the Spring. Is it possible that he chooses to skip lacrosse again given that recovery time and acclamation to lax will take him into March before he is effective as a lacrosse coach player? I certainly don’t know the advanced physiology of recovery and then orientation to a different sport, but it sure looks impossible to me. It would also require his complete absence from off season weight work and Spring football. I wish him the best if he makes the effort to join lax in 2023.
Here is article Trader did back in August where he talks about playing
https://247sports.com/college/maryland/ ... 190947244/
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

Very difficult for any athlete but more common than it has been in recent memory. Navy's Xavier Airline came back to lacrosse last year and believe he intends to do so again.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

he's their 3rd leading tackler, they're a good team this year, for some profile, and he's only still just a sophomore.

there's a potential pot o' gold out there. i'm gonna guess no.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

PALax11 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:56 pm Very difficult for any athlete but more common than it has been in recent memory. Navy's Xavier Airline came back to lacrosse last year and believe he intends to do so again.
Arline may have been on the team and played a little, but he had minimal impact for Navy. I looked it up and he had 8 points in 6 games. No idea if he was injured, and didn't play more, or something else. just being on the team is one thing. being a key player is another.
old salt

Post by old salt »

blue angels wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:00 pm
PALax11 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:56 pm Very difficult for any athlete but more common than it has been in recent memory. Navy's Xavier Airline came back to lacrosse last year and believe he intends to do so again.
Arline may have been on the team and played a little, but he had minimal impact for Navy. I looked it up and he had 8 points in 6 games. No idea if he was injured, and didn't play more, or something else. just being on the team is one thing. being a key player is another.
Arline was hampered by a lingering hamstring injury. He was still impactful when he played, even without fallball.
If he survives this FB season in good health, I expect 2 more good lax seasons for him.
QB of Navy's triple option offense is one of the most hazardous assignments in the Naval Service.
I'm glad he's the backup QB. They played him at running back (not slotback but lined up in the fullback spot) a couple plays last wk.
They're still trying to find a way to get the ball to him in open space.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:12 pm
Arline was hampered by a lingering hamstring injury. He was still impactful when he played, even without fallball.
If he survives this FB season in good health, I expect 2 more good lax seasons for him.
QB of Navy's triple option offense is one of the most hazardous assignments in the Naval Service.
I'm glad he's the backup QB. They played him at running back (not slotback but lined up in the fullback spot) a couple plays last wk.
Therein lies the question, and you raised it..... "If he survives the football season in good health." Lacrosse isn't low contact baseball...... He must be a special athlete to even make both team. Then, he must be very fortunate to be healthy enough to make an impact. Hat's off to him for trying and hope he succeeds.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

blue angels wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:18 am
old salt wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:12 pm
Therein lies the question, and you raised it..... "If he survives the football season in good health." Lacrosse isn't low contact baseball...... He must be a special athlete to even make both team. Then, he must be very fortunate to be healthy enough to make an impact. Hat's off to him for trying and hope he succeeds.
Knew this guy, Giulian Gary, a bit (section 4 football rivals and worked out with him as well as a former lacrosse member at MD who was his Hs QB named Nate Watkins, and others who were at a certain level in offseasons) and always stuck with me though I realize healthcare and tech makes two sports easier now than in the early 2000s. So it’s kind of my point of reference on football/lacrosse. Many folks around her remember seeing Jim Brown at cuse when they were middle aged but that’s pretty anachronistic as a reference recognizing this one is getting stale but conversely that the money in football is so much greater now that the pressure to not play a second sport has to be far elevated these days.

It is a fact I know from his mouth that he had a spot on the lacrosse team if he could’ve pulled it off.

Also note the B Sun wasn’t an editorial beacon of excellence 20+ years ago when you hear certain folks whine about it “now”…ithica

Terps' Gary fills big role from small-town roots

Oct 06, 2000 at 12:00 am
COLLEGE PARK — COLLEGE PARK - Guilian Gary recalled the overwhelming feeling of homesickness that gripped him soon after he had begun his freshman year at the University of Maryland.

Coming from the small, upstate New York town of Horseheads, located a long pass from Ithica, the Terps' junior wide receiver did not exactly settle in smoothly with a campus population that dwarfs that of his hometown.

"I'm a homebody. You could fit (the population of) Horseheads in here nine, 10, 11, 12 times," Gary said. "Within the first week (after moving to College Park), I was ready to go home. On the first day, I was ready to go home."

Two years later, Gary has adjusted nicely to the big-college environment. And he has found another home in Maryland's offense.

While the Terps (2-2) have struggled to open holes consistently for running back LaMont Jordan and have gone through additional ups and downs at the quarterback position, Gary has emerged as the anchor of a young receiving corps.

Gary, 6 feet, 177 pounds, has caught the team's lone two touchdown passes while leading the Terps in receptions (18) and receiving yardage (266). And in the eyes of Maryland coach Ron Vanderlinden, the raw talent that made Gary too impressive to redshirt as a freshman is beginning to blossom.

"What I've seen this year from Guilian is a continuing ability to make plays, but he's handling it with a lot more poise. He's learning to become a player who expects to make big plays all of the time," Vanderlinden said. "He was young and excitable last year. Part of leadership evolves from the way you carry yourself. This year, he's a lot more serious and mature."

Gary cut his Division I teeth in relative anonymity as a punt returner. Although he played in nine games as a freshman, he did not catch a pass that year. But between the game experience and hearing the encouragement of coaches and seniors who took note of his crisp route-running, smooth hands and quick feet in practice, Gary sensed early on he belonged.

He took the next step as a sophomore, playing in all 11 games and starting three in 1999. He was the leading punt returner and receiver on the 5-6 team that barely missed a trip to the Aloha Bowl.

Four starts into the 2000 season, Gary already has surpassed his receiving yardage total of last season, and he is only six receptions shy of last season's 24."

"[Gary]" dedicates himself to being the best in practice, and it shows in games," center Melvin Fowler Jr. said. "He gets a lot of positive yards after the catch. He's a great addition to our offense."

Initially, Gary dreamed of joining Maryland's men's lacrosse team. A high school All-American in the sport, he ran with Maryland's midfield second unit for several weeks. But just before the Terps' first scrimmage, Vanderlinden pulled the plug on that extracurricular activity, since conditioning drills had trimmed Gary's weight by 15 pounds.

A converted running back who passed on Syracuse, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech in choosing Maryland, Gary said he would be playing lacrosse if not for football. Growing up in Horseheads, the idea was to play as often as possible.

"I was always playing three sports, and you play in as many summer leagues as you can. You try to stay entertained," Gary said. "(Horseheads) really is as boring as it sounds."

Gary wants a shot at professional football, and he sees a future in teaching and coaching. His father, Gregory, runs the financial aid department at Cornell, in Ithica. His mother, Brenda, is a manager of an outsourcing company in Richmond, Va.

And their son, no longer the homesick homebody, is determined to carve a niche in Maryland's program and the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"Guilian listens and learns. He accepts coaching, and he's evolving as a person and as a player. I attribute a lot of that to his character," Vanderlinden said. "I hope he'll emerge into one of the league's better receivers. He's shown us that he is capable of that."
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

I remember Gary. Scored the winning TD against NC State to win Fridge’s first ACC championship, and Maryland’s first since Bobby Ross. Helluva season.

Btw Trader is getting alot of tackles because the Terps front seven is often getting handled… which is usually the case when a safety is a team leader in tackles.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:57 am I remember Gary. Scored the winning TD against NC State to win Fridge’s first ACC championship, and Maryland’s first since Bobby Ross. Helluva season.

Btw Trader is getting alot of tackles because the Terps front seven is often getting handled… which is usually the case when a safety is a team leader in tackles.
Yeah regardless of scheme you don't want your secondary being top tacklers. More like ILBs & DE's in a well oiled D (DTs take on OL and RB blockers, catch trapping and pulling OL and let ILBs and DEs clean up at or behind the LOS as well as pressure timing and coordination on passing game.

Gary and Nate Watkins, who was a solid contributor to your lacrosse team, we're a heck of a combo to play against in HS, but good workout partners.

We also had a kid at another section 4 school, Union Endicott, who ended up as the highest draft pick out of Harvard ever who had a nice career with the seahawks. Things were changing we used to be the power and paid more attention to the Berwick PAs and playing in the Phil Simms all star game and trying to show up against some really tough NJ all star teams.

You guys might've missed on Jarmo's (Michael Jarmolowich) kids. PL isn't Big Ten but both are going to get at least FA rookie camp invites when it's time. Both had fine careers at Delbarton and are excelling at Gate and HC who are solid PL/FCS programs these days. Of course it sounds like secondary isn't your issue currently either...

https://colgateathletics.com/sports/foo ... wich/12733

https://goholycross.com/sports/football ... wich/13157
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Latest Trader stats,

3rd on team in tackles, 2 interceptions w/
46 return yards off interceptions.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

USA vs Maryland game 1

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

From that vid,

Murphy, the feeder, after last year being the finisher.

Luke Wierman held up well against TD Ierlan,
more physical than Ierlan.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

USA vs Maryland game 2

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Former Maryland assistant J.L. Reppert, who is current Holy Cross HC, wife Jill Reppert and mother to their 10-year old son Liam, passed away Sunday, November 6, 2022, after a two-year courageous battle with cancer.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... jill/60361

https://www.gofundme.com/f/huddleupforrepp
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tills adding to his ‘23 class - Jimmy Waddell midfielder. Former Jacksonville commit

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

No. 8 Incoming Freshman: Will Schaller, Maryland — Lighting a Fire

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... fire/60392

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”