THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by HopFan16 »

People want the High Point thing to happen, but it's not going to happen. Hopkins very well may not make the tournament, but it won't be at the expense of High Point taking its spot.

The Jays are likely to finish the season with a top 10 RPI. Win any one of the next three would probably put them on the right side of the bubble. Win more than one and they'll be in a good position. Easier said than done.

A win over Ohio State is invaluable. Not only does it virtually clinch a spot in the Big Ten tournament, but then you're also A) leapfrogging Ohio State for at-large contention 2) Ensuring you finish no worse than .500, even if you lose the next two and then lose in the conference tourney. Jays have to win on Sunday.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:03 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am It's more apparent every year that Hopkins undergraduate interest in Blue Jay lacrosse continues to diminish...
Last evening on the local "news" on channel 13 a group of Hopkins "students" were marching in protest of some perceived injustice ; I quickly realized the snowflake culture is alive and well at Homewood.
Of course Lacrosse is an elitist sport and an affront to enlightened privileged youth...oh my ! :roll:
Nothing like someone from the Harry Truman era telling current students what they should or shouldn't care about the things affecting their lives.
:lol:

Funny, I searched the WJZ Channel 13 CBS site and couldn't find anything at all about Hopkins students, "snowflakes" or not, marching this past week.

There was some marching etc a month ago about the planned private police force, which was indeed passed in the Legislature this past week, so perhaps that 'march' was picked up on...Fox... and '47 just has his channels mixed up. Our local Fox channel loves to make fun of college students. Easy targets, especially if you cherry pick.

I happen to agree with having a private police force, as long as well managed in partnership with the City and State police. Students are worried about the private force being overly aggressive, profiling etc. Perfectly reasonable concern. But it needn't be that way and I suspect JHU will involve student input and feedback as they implement this effort. It would be smart to do so.

Here's why I think Hopkins should definitely do this, on behalf of the safety of their students, faculty, etc. The City is under all sorts of pressure to be sure that the limited police resources (which are badly strained, undermanned, as it is, and will likely continue to be until the corruption is fully rooted out and the force is rebuilt) aren't preferentially devoted to protecting wealthier communities versus protecting destitute communities. That's quite understandable.

But JHU has a duty to make sure that its immediate community is as safe as they can help make it. And if that costs JHU some extra bucks, so be it.

But what ANY of that has to do with student attendance at lax games I don't have a clue!
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I agree with most that this is a must win against OSU.

I'm curious if a few good games as freshmen warrants a promotion to first line midfield as sophomore, do you get to continue as a first line mid for the rest of your career even if you literally do nothing on the field?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:03 pm Nothing like someone from the Harry Truman era telling current students what they should or shouldn't care about the things affecting their lives.

Senior day on Sunday. Very likely the last time those guys will play a game on Homewood Field. Thanks to Marr, Kuhn, Jones, Foley, et al for their contributions over the years. Special thanks to Jake Fox for always keeping the bench animated in every game.

Do we know for sure that Concannon will be back next year?
Lets light a candle for the half of the 2019 class that won't be attending senior day.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:03 pm Nothing like someone from the Harry Truman era telling current students what they should or shouldn't care about the things affecting their lives.

Senior day on Sunday. Very likely the last time those guys will play a game on Homewood Field. Thanks to Marr, Kuhn, Jones, Foley, et al for their contributions over the years. Special thanks to Jake Fox for always keeping the bench animated in every game.

Do we know for sure that Concannon will be back next year?
Lets light a candle for the half of the 2019 class that won't be attending senior day.
I still see guys like Cam Hyde who were never healthy enough to dress for a game. What a shame, at least they got a great education and hopefully a fun college experience
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:29 pm People want the High Point thing to happen, but it's not going to happen. Hopkins very well may not make the tournament, but it won't be at the expense of High Point taking its spot.

The Jays are likely to finish the season with a top 10 RPI. Win any one of the next three would probably put them on the right side of the bubble. Win more than one and they'll be in a good position. Easier said than done.

A win over Ohio State is invaluable. Not only does it virtually clinch a spot in the Big Ten tournament, but then you're also A) leapfrogging Ohio State for at-large contention 2) Ensuring you finish no worse than .500, even if you lose the next two and then lose in the conference tourney. Jays have to win on Sunday.
100% agreed with everything you said. High Point isn't getting an at-large bid. Period. I'll eat a shoe if they do.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I am certainly not on the HP train, but they do have a 19 RPI and 2 top-5 wins. Hopkins is #11 RPI with two top-20 wins. If the season ended today, I'll see your shoe with a boot; HP would be in.

tOSU is must-win.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 pm I am certainly not on the HP train, but they do have a 19 RPI and 2 top-5 wins. Hopkins is #11 RPI with two top-20 wins. If the season ended today, I'll see your shoe with a boot; HP would be in.

tOSU is must-win.
But the season doesn't end today! For High Point to be in the at-large boat they must lose another game. I'll call your boot!
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 am It's more apparent every year that Hopkins undergraduate interest in Blue Jay lacrosse continues to diminish...
Last evening on the local "news" on channel 13 a group of Hopkins "students" were marching in protest of some perceived injustice ; I quickly realized the snowflake culture is alive and well at Homewood.
Of course Lacrosse is an elitist sport and an affront to enlightened privileged youth...oh my ! :roll:
Nothing like someone from the Harry Truman era telling current students what they should or shouldn't care about the things affecting their lives.

Funny, I searched the WJZ Channel 13 CBS site and couldn't find anything at all about Hopkins students, "snowflakes" or not, marching this past week.

There was some marching etc a month ago about the planned private police force, which was indeed passed in the Legislature this past week, so perhaps that 'march' was picked up on...Fox... and '47 just has his channels mixed up. Our local Fox channel loves to make fun of college students. Easy targets, especially if you cherry pick.

I happen to agree with having a private police force, as long as well managed in partnership with the City and State police. Students are worried about the private force being overly aggressive, profiling etc. Perfectly reasonable concern. But it needn't be that way and I suspect JHU will involve student input and feedback as they implement this effort. It would be smart to do so.

Here's why I think Hopkins should definitely do this, on behalf of the safety of their students, faculty, etc. The City is under all sorts of pressure to be sure that the limited police resources (which are badly strained, undermanned, as it is, and will likely continue to be until the corruption is fully rooted out and the force is rebuilt) aren't preferentially devoted to protecting wealthier communities versus protecting destitute communities. That's quite understandable.

But JHU has a duty to make sure that its immediate community is as safe as they can help make it. And if that costs JHU some extra bucks, so be it.

But what ANY of that has to do with student attendance at lax games I don't have a clue!
Well it was WJZ/13 ; but that's irrelevant. My favorite news station as they're associated with the dying far left Sunpapers. I love to listen to their sophomoric pop culture babbling particularly Bubola(?).
BTW the Sunpaper has essentially eliminated lacrosse coverage.
The snowflakes at JHU have no use for elitist sports...they're too sophisticated.
The students were once engaged with lacrosse at Homewood but no more.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:59 am
Well it was WJZ/13 ; but that's irrelevant. My favorite news station as they're associated with the dying far left Sunpapers. I love to listen to their sophomoric pop culture babbling particularly Bubola(?).
The snowflakes at JHU have no use for elitist sports...they're too sophisticated.
DYING FAKE news from the left, silly snowflake liberals... any other talking points to hit? Stop with these posts. Many of us come here to avoid this kind of talk. You're being divisive for no reason.

Before blaming the lack of interest of current JHU students in lacrosse on political agendas, maybe you should look at what's happening at most schools, in most sports:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-fo ... 1535634001
https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2 ... ttendance/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -34-years/
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:59 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Consider the poster who annoys you the most.
Re-read a few of his most annoying posts.
Now, try not to write like that poster.
At least, not in this thread.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

More people are watching Johns Hopkins lacrosse games than at any time in history. They’re just not watching at Homewood Field or while the game is actually being played. It’s partly a technology issue.

Also, attendance will jump WHEN Hopkins wins another national championship.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

You must not believe in jinxes; somebody already grabbed (and posted using) 45WeWantMore.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

They’re just not watching at Homewood Field or while the game is actually being played. It’s partly a technology issue.
Attendance is also a made-for-TV timing issue. Outdoor night games in February and March just don't make much sense for fans. Sunday night games are not as family friendly as games on Saturday afternoons.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Let's see. Today #2 Loyola was blown out by unranked Boston University (7 goals!). Towson lost to unranked UMass, and Denver managed to only beat unranked St. Johns by a goal after losing to previously unranked Villanova.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tweeeet! Ref walks to the sideline and says to the two head coaches, Fellas, tell your players to discuss lacrosse here and politics here. Lacrosse. Politics. the coaches nod. ref walks back to the center of the field, Tweeeeet! and says, Play on!
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

admin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:42 pm Tweeeet! Ref walks to the sideline and says to the two head coaches, Fellas, tell your players to discuss lacrosse here and politics here. Lacrosse. Politics. the coaches nod. ref walks back to the center of the field, Tweeeeet! and says, Play on!
Actually, after a coaches conference, a ref wouldn't say 'Play On". That's for loose ball technicals. He's close with "Timer's On". That's code for "Get your kids back on the field in 20. Ready to play. In 20."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:50 pm
They’re just not watching at Homewood Field or while the game is actually being played. It’s partly a technology issue.
Attendance is also a made-for-TV timing issue. Outdoor night games in February and March just don't make much sense for fans. Sunday night games are not as family friendly as games on Saturday afternoons.
Keep in mind that TV now rules lacrosse as it rules all other sports...just took a little longer !
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

It’s a lonely world in the Penalty Box.

I’m now the site’s first two-time offender.

I didn’t do it by talking politics though.

A post about a BOB* has a greater chance of surviving than a post about history.

So, TV dictates a game on Sunday?

Palm Sunday, no less.

Sheesh.

W

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”