Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by another fan »

Notre Dame did pretty well with Pat Walsh from Wantagh a number of years ago. I think they have been a pretty solid mid level program for awhile, but also do not follow very closely.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

another fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:11 pm Notre Dame did pretty well with Pat Walsh from Wantagh a number of years ago. I think they have been a pretty solid mid level program for awhile, but also do not follow very closely.
I'll have to dig in thanks! I, and my mother, are predominantly Irish so that's always a bonus. Rocking out at AOH keggers on the finger lakes as a kid (via my father - my kegs had sasparilla and root beer in them).
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Curious - Which finger lake?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:39 pm Curious - Which finger lake?
Seneca often also Kueka. Father grew up in Bath NY.

So for folks who really know NY State I'd like you to envision a 1960s wedding between a family out of Wantaugh and a family from Steuben Co....it's a pretty awesome and hilarious mental pic no doubt.

Almost like it's own joke - what do you get when you cross pollinate Long Island and extremely rural WNY???

Me, a degenerate who grew up in Binghamton!
See Martin, Malcolm
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

My father grew up in Lyons NY and my mother in Roanoke VA speaking of mental pics

They had a place on Canandaigua. Close friends had one on Seneca. Thx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:47 pm My father grew up in Lyons NY and my mother in Roanoke VA speaking of mental pics

Spent plenty of time in and aroudn Roanoke on the I81 corridor over the past 15yrs. Obviously know Lyons. Better Roanoke than Lynchburg...
See Martin, Malcolm
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Incorporated below
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:04 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:47 pm My father grew up in Lyons NY and my mother in Roanoke VA speaking of mental pics

Spent plenty of time in and aroudn Roanoke on the I81 corridor over the past 15yrs. Obviously know Lyons. Better Roanoke than Lynchburg...
Roanoke has come along way from a sleepy deep south kind of town. I used to be related to a lot of Catawba.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:35 pm Roanoke has come along way from a sleepy deep south kind of town. I used to be related to a lot of Catawba.
Very cool-wifes family is SC-Furman college people plus some downstate folks who owned printing and made money way back because one of them was county clerk in Charleston and got a rip and ownership on every land transaction at the start of the locks area. What a great gig. I grew up white trash and have migrated slightly into white sorta trash now in Atlanta after DC/NYC through my 20s.

Don’t mind Roanoke but if I retired to a country area vs water (TBD with time to figure it out and see what options I create for myself and my family) that the stretch starting about 40 or so miles north of Roanoke up through Staunton to like the 270-280s exits on I81 would be an ideal spot to chill out as I ride the back end out. Like natural bridge/Lexington up to Harrisonburg type areas. Like SW Va a lot.
See Martin, Malcolm
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Decided to take it to PM
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

another fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:56 am Another 24: Jake Martini, Wantagh. Listed as D, but highlights are with a short stick. Perhaps heading for d mid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCH6t2Gkqk
His IL profile says he was also considering Michigan, Penn State, Army, and North Carolina, so it appears he had other high-level suitors.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I'm pretty sure the IL listing as a D is just a mistake. In addition to his highlight video, the press around him describes him as a complete midfielder with good speed. He still looks like a good d mid prospect to me. That's 10 in the 24 class now (including Billy Hughes who reclassified from 2023), and it looks to be a good group.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Another class of '24 recruit, 4-star midfielder Luke Richardson from Christhurch, VA: [https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment]

From his profile he's a speedy midfielder who's excellent between the lines.

IL hasn't updated his profile to show the commitment, but his mother tweeted about it yesterday: https://twitter.com/momof3greatboyz/sta ... RtJ8P0_ITA
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

I know that recruiting for 2023 & 4 is not over, that 2023 & 4 players still have time to earn their stars, and that IL's star ratings are not always reliable (e.g., Ryan Goldstein has 0 stars, even though he's arguably the most gifted 2023 player in eastern Pennsylvania). But if we look at Cornell's recruiting on IL's Commitments page, we have this strange pattern (# of recruits x star rating):

1 x 5-Star, 7 x 4-Star, 2 x 3-Star, + 4 x 0-Star

1 x 5-Star, 3 x 4-Star, 0 x 3-Star + 9 x 0-Star

0 x 5-Star, 7 x 4-Star, 0 x 3-Star + 4 x 0-Star

Does anyone reading this have insight as to why 2023 is so dissimilar from 2022 & 2024?
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:34 pm I know that recruiting for 2023 & 4 is not over, that 2023 & 4 players still have time to earn their stars, and that IL's star ratings are not always reliable (e.g., Ryan Goldstein has 0 stars, even though he's arguably the most gifted 2023 player in eastern Pennsylvania). But if we look at Cornell's recruiting on IL's Commitments page, we have this strange pattern (# of recruits x star rating):

1 x 5-Star, 7 x 4-Star, 2 x 3-Star, + 4 x 0-Star

1 x 5-Star, 3 x 4-Star, 0 x 3-Star + 9 x 0-Star

0 x 5-Star, 7 x 4-Star, 0 x 3-Star + 4 x 0-Star

Does anyone reading this have insight as to why 2023 is so dissimilar from 2022 & 2024?
It's really simple for the 2023s. Inside Lacrosse hasn't been exposed to these kids.

A lot of the Canadian guys play box over the summer and do not play in many tournaments (Firth, Smart, Ciaparra)

Ricci broke his hand early in the summer and didn't play in any big tournaments for Sweetlax.

The other unranked guys don't play for big name club teams.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’d add Willem Firth (as already mentioned) who like Goldstein reclassified, to that above analysis,

any number of accolades for Firth including earning the Ontario Box League MVP and Rookie of the Year — he would have to be
a multi-star rated 2023 incoming freshman, you’d think.
another fan

Post by another fan »

In addition to Firth and Goldstein, there are a couple other 2023s who will probably end up with stars or play at that level. Luke Gilmartin is one of the best midfielders in upstate NY but plays for a smaller school. Sam Ricci is a top fogo for Victor who trains with TD Ierlan, and Ryan Waldman is an extremely quick x attack for a good Westfield program-- it will be interesting to see Goldstein and Waldman compete at the same position. TJ Lamb is still filling out, and though listed as an attack may have a strong future at midfield. And Jaden Ciaparra is smallish, but very quick and will probably play on Hill's first midfield.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:58 am
another fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:56 am Another 24: Jake Martini, M, Wantagh. Nice all-around mid who looks like his future might be at d mid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCH6t2Gkqk
My mother’s hometown! Didn’t think much lacrosse came out of there but don’t follow LI lacrosse very closely.

Still can’t root for him on Hobart game day but the rest of his career I will be.
Hugh Kelleher is from Wantagh NY. Started all 16 games for Cornell last year and had a hat trick vs Hobart.
another fan

Post by another fan »

But Kelleher went to MacArthur High School which is in Levittown.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

another fan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:59 pm In addition to Firth and Goldstein, there are a couple other 2023s who will probably end up with stars or play at that level. Luke Gilmartin is one of the best midfielders in upstate NY but plays for a smaller school. Sam Ricci is a top fogo for Victor who trains with TD Ierlan, and Ryan Waldman is an extremely quick x attack for a good Westfield program-- it will be interesting to see Goldstein and Waldman compete at the same position. TJ Lamb is still filling out, and though listed as an attack may have a strong future at midfield. And Jaden Ciaparra is smallish, but very quick and will probably play on Hill's first midfield.
Golmartin is one of two quiet under the radar kids from CNY along with Will Hardy from Tully. Both will contribute early I feel highly confident.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”