American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: American Educational System

Post by a fan »

:lol: Dunno, my friend.

But I sure would like to see some old school Republicans return to power.

Where is the Republican answer to Cortez? Someone who has ideas as to how to take our current tax dollars, and spend them better?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

When had that been the apparent? Not since the days of an Ev Dirksen
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/new ... 368094002/ I read this in the paper this morning. I was only 11 years old when this happened but I have no memory of this happening. I know there are some Cornell folks out there. Do any of you have any thoughts on how this changed Cornell?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

income share agreements- sign up for college, promise away a % of future salary: https://www.axios.com/education-today-b ... 61f56.html
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm income share agreements- sign up for college, promise away a % of future salary: https://www.axios.com/education-today-b ... 61f56.html
Beware of unintended consequences. Once there are enough super smart super achieving high school students who become beach bums - the colleges will try to figure out how to screen them out....

What happens to the poetry department, or anthropology, or philosophy? Gotta say, the death of the grievance studies departments wouldn't bother me too much. But if colleges went 100% this route - all those departments are dead.

Also - what is earnings? Income? Capital gains? Income from a family trust?

With all that said - the alignment of incentives has a certain appeal - if the colleges maintained their intellectual integrity and kept the classic liberal arts. Because the only places it would work are the hard sciences and business schools.... it is certainly the colleges putting their money where their mouths are
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The appeal of the college degree is being eroded by AI and automation. Forego college, get the right certifications and make 150k a year in some sectors
ChairmanOfTheBoard

HooDat wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:25 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm income share agreements- sign up for college, promise away a % of future salary: https://www.axios.com/education-today-b ... 61f56.html
Beware of unintended consequences. Once there are enough super smart super achieving high school students who become beach bums - the colleges will try to figure out how to screen them out....

What happens to the poetry department, or anthropology, or philosophy? Gotta say, the death of the grievance studies departments wouldn't bother me too much. But if colleges went 100% this route - all those departments are dead.

With all that said - the alignment of incentives has a certain appeal - if the colleges maintained their intellectual integrity and kept the classic liberal arts. Because the only places it would work are the hard sciences and business schools.... it is certainly the colleges putting their money where their mouths are
good analysis; i agree.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

6ftstick wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am OK What the heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyEQuTnYbk
Meanwhile.....thousands upon thousands more "illegals" are also graduating this spring.

Harvard certainly doesn't aspire to embrace FATTY"S 20-1 income ratio (HIGHest to lowest), even though 20% of it's endowment, earning 4-5%, could pay for ALL undergrads (FREE 2go2 Harvard) in perpetuity........why would they care about workers rights, overtime and other employment payroll laws?

The pretends really don't understand how so many view them as hypocritical, anti-labor rights classist, only amplified by the rah rah look at us, even though we know human rights abuses to this grads family (most likely) b/c of VERY low wages, NO overtime, no healthcare, no workers comp.......just modern day slavery.

Thank you Harvard, for pointing out that you LOVE cheap labor, which is why HIGHliting illegals does. Congrats, indeed.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Yeah.....the OKIES are SO alone :roll:

But, who cares? Is Yale, G-town, etc. suffering b/c of the pay to accept scandal? Nope.

Meanwhile.....why bother about the educational system? The young today don't think they will ever see the age of 35 b/c the world is going to end (climate change)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am

good analysis; i agree.
Back when we had a mortgage company, The rules for grads with student debt, even if deferred, was underwriting should add 1% of their student debt to their monthly debt burden for back-end ratio purposes. I got roped into settling down an applicant who had close to a quarter of a million in student debt (and a Masters Degree in Social Work as the reward), and the $2500 we had to include to her back end sucked up 50% of her $60k annual salary. For the high LTV loan she needed, she was capped at 48% back end.

She couldn't afford a tent, but felt that someone of her stature should be able to afford a nice 3 bedroom in an affluent neighborhood. It was our job (in her mind) to figure it all out, and she saw it as her job to sort out how to keep her debt deferred through the 30 year tenure of the mortgage.

I spent a LONG time on the phone with her, and I determined that the schools she attended had hired gifted but unethical sales people to sell their services (product?) to people who were unqualified to make such decisions.

My conclusion at that time was that schools should be liable for some percentage of any delinquent student debt of their former students. I don't think that that conclusions has changed.....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:06 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am

good analysis; i agree.
Back when we had a mortgage company, The rules for grads with student debt, even if deferred, was underwriting should add 1% of their student debt to their monthly debt burden for back-end ratio purposes. I got roped into settling down an applicant who had close to a quarter of a million in student debt (and a Masters Degree in Social Work as the reward), and the $2500 we had to include to her back end sucked up 50% of her $60k annual salary. For the high LTV loan she needed, she was capped at 48% back end.

She couldn't afford a tent, but felt that someone of her stature should be able to afford a nice 3 bedroom in an affluent neighborhood. It was our job (in her mind) to figure it all out, and she saw it as her job to sort out how to keep her debt deferred through the 30 year tenure of the mortgage.

I spent a LONG time on the phone with her, and I determined that the schools she attended had hired gifted but unethical sales people to sell their services (product?) to people who were unqualified to make such decisions.

My conclusion at that time was that schools should be liable for some percentage of any delinquent student debt of their former students. I don't think that that conclusions has changed.....
Agreed. And the banking/credit card industry has opened their wallets to young, naive, and financially immature students. Knowing full well it is money in the bank, especially with the interest rates of the CC's.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

8 students shared the stage as co-winners. The demographic makeup of the winners says a great deal about us as a country, the priorities of our population. A single white child shared the prize, a female.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:10 pm 8 students shared the stage as co-winners. The demographic makeup of the winners says a great deal about us as a country, the priorities of our population. A single white child shared the prize, a female.
Fantastic!
“I wish you would!”
ChairmanOfTheBoard

interesting concept here- https://www.propublica.org/article/univ ... n-students
Parents are giving up legal guardianship of their children during their junior or senior year in high school to someone else — a friend, aunt, cousin or grandparent. The guardianship status then allows the students to declare themselves financially independent of their families so they can qualify for federal, state and university aid, a ProPublica Illinois investigation found.

The university now asks more questions of students who have recently entered into a guardianship, including whether they have contact with their parents, who they live with and who pays for their health insurance and cellphone bill. The questions have deterred some families from continuing to seek university aid, Borst said.
guessing this is not new. but just another way to work the system.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting article I came across while scrolling through Twitter this morning.

University Has Changed, Parents

Dear Parents: University has changed.
"The College seemed more like a Momentum-inspired NGO that spreads the gospel of wokeness than a centre of academic excellence."...

...Undoubtedly, the student world of 2019 is a baffling one for anybody embedded in the ideas of the Enlightenment. One might expect students to go to university to learn, to debate and be exposed to different opinions. Not anymore: now, only one opinion counts in this strange pseudo-world of fake, progressivist values. One ideology has been merged with one morality. All other views are excluded, and the result is a closed culture.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Excellent piece from the esteemed Country Squire magazine. It’s one of my favorite sources along with Modern Plantation and Cerfdom Today Journal. Is this where you get your tweed field sports jacket with leather elbow patches?
ChairmanOfTheBoard

nothing really new here, but on topic: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/09/ ... tions.html
Starting in 2011, when the oldest of their three children was about two years away from applying to college, the Shaw Family Endowment Fund donated $1 million annually to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Stanford and at least $500,000 each to Columbia and Brown. The pattern persisted through 2017, the most recent year for which public filings are available, with a bump in giving to Columbia to $1 million a year in 2016 and 2017. The foundation, which lists Kobliner as president and Shaw as treasurer and secretary, has also contributed $200,000 annually to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology since 2013.

The total donations for “general” purposes across seven years and seven elite schools are $37.3 million, which represents 62 percent of the foundation’s giving over that period.

One of her areas of expertise is how to pay for college. In her writing, media interviews, and YouTube videos, she cautions parents not to “follow the herd with your donating dollars” or pin their hopes for their children on getting into brand-name colleges. “Don’t believe the hype,” she tells them. “You might find yourself obsessing over those annual college rankings. Don’t take them too seriously.” The sensible solution, she argues, is for families to “pick a few financial safety schools” — public universities close to home. A degree from an elite college, she reminds readers, may not translate into higher earnings in later life. “The Ivy League isn’t necessarily the gravy train.”

Peers of the Shaw children remember classmates talking about where they wanted to go to college — and understanding that they might very well not go there — as early as the sixth grade.

“People sometimes feel, A million dollars should give me a lot of clout,” said Ron Brown, former director of gift planning at Princeton. “In the scheme of things, not so much … A million-dollar gift doesn’t have the impact it used to have 20 years ago.”

“Stanford does not accept gifts if it knows a gift is being made with the intention of influencing the admissions process.”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

It would seem that White Nationalists / Racists are making a push at Syracuse University. Seems the trouble was caused by students from a mix of schools.

Return to “POLITICS”