All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
SCLaxAttack

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by SCLaxAttack »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:45 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:38 am
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:54 am Who did I offend, other than you ?
Me
Are you Jewish ?
An interesting question. People should wonder about answering that too quickly...

I've lived in eight decades, and not until 2018 did I have any doubt that I was 50% Irish Catholic from my mother's side and 50% English Episcopalian on my father's. That all changed with a 23andme cheek swab. Turns out while I'm over 90% Irish and English, I'm also 7.3% Ashkenazi Jewish. If that only came from one individual it would be four generations ago (great, great grandparent) some time in the mid-1800s.)

Do yourselves a favor and get a genetic test done. It may change everything you know, or think you know. And how you think.

Among the other smaller ethnic percentages I'm .6% Nigerian, and I'm very proud of that, too.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Me
Are you Jewish ?
What difference does it make? Your use of these tropes is offensive. Period.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:19 pm
Me
Are you Jewish ?
What "tropes" ? As I've stated --
-- I made no implication or reference to any religion.
-- I was not aware that 2 of the 3 "influencers" I referenced were Jewish. How would I know that ?
-- I am not familiar with the "dinner party trope" which MDLF76 so enthusiastically & tastelessly embellished.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Me
Are you Jewish ?
My sister is, and works with many disadvantaged as well as many persecuted Jewish refugees.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:25 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:09 am
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:57 am FTR -- Again. I named Nuland, Applebaum & Soros because they were, to me, the most influential neocons in bringing us to the present situation in Ukraine. At that time, I did not even know that 2 of them were Jewish or had Ukrainian or Belarusian heritage. I did not consider religion a factor.
I made no mention of their religion. I only went into the Jewish roots of the neocon movement when MDLF76 responded with his hysterical, tasteless, over-the-top rant on anti-semitism, to give credit to who actually started the neocon movement, brought it to prominence, & continue to have influence into the second generation.

IMHO -- the 3 I named wield great influence of future events in Ukraine, & there are reasons to be concerned about future destabilizing events in Belarus & Russia.
The last part was all I needed personally. Not that you care but it’s as simple as that. The way it was written before didn’t come across as thoughtful. I do it all the time and if i get caught so be it.

The other stuff I wouldn’t die on the hill over. But it is a group that’s had it not so great for a while. Modicum of sensitivity isn’t a bug of humans it’s a feature. See the pic dropped in there recently. They’re under attack as a culture and religion constantly here domestically and globally. We literally have a sitting congresswoman talking about Jewish space lasers and Soros so it’s not unreasonable to be careful invoking certain folks. Imagine if it’s had been “sharpton, jesse jackson and Bobby Seal have plans for Arkansas”…
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who appreciates more than me what Americans of Jewish heritage bring to our nation & our culture.
I'm proud that they have achieved so much success & contributed so much to our culture. Not that it's the same thing -- but I'm also a great admirer & supporter of the nation of Israel. That is why I find MDLF76's accusations so offensive & refuse to back down.
I’d be hard pressed to find someone like my converted sister who’s active in the community? Or all the folks I’ve gotten to know at her synagogue?

To make that statement is a bit out of touch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:32 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:18 am
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:06 am Instead he doubled down and added more Jewish folks to his list, conveniently leaving out Paul Bremer who was at the core of the neocon movement as well. There were lots of people who have no Jewish heritage who were part of that ideological, intellectual 'group'.
FTR -- again. I was pointing out the self-proclaimed founders of the Neo-Conservative movement, not the entire body of people who have come to share many of their principles. There are many more prominent Americans, who happen to be Jewish, who advocate neocon positions. To do a roll call is silly.
Leaving out Bremer...and will..Kirkpatrick...even Moynihan, all of whom were described as neoconservatives.
With the dinner parties controlling the course of history...
trope.

If not intended, incredibly easy to say, 'oops, my mistake, not intended, sorry for any offense'...and go back to critiquing the policy positions.
How far do you want to take this ? Add McCain, the Bushes, Cheney's, Wolofowitz, Pearle, Libby... you could fill a stadium.
Again -- I was referring to the founders & how they themselves described the genisis of their movement.
There's nothing dark or sinister there. It's not a trope. It's a key part of our modern political history.
Read any scholarship about the birth of the Neo Conservative movement & it will align with my description & include the names of the founders who I referenced.
Do they all discuss secret dinner parties to plan events in the world? You might need to open up your scholarly reading if so.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Me
Are you Jewish ?
If you ain’t Jewish, it’s just virtue signaling.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:50 am
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:45 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:06 am Instead he doubled down and added more Jewish folks to his list, conveniently leaving out Paul Bremer who was at the core of the neocon movement as well. There were lots of people who have no Jewish heritage who were part of that ideological, intellectual 'group'.
FTR -- again. I was pointing out the self-proclaimed founders of the Neo-Conservative movement, not the entire body of people who have come to share many of their principles. There are many more prominent Americans, who happen to be Jewish, who advocate neocon positions. To do a roll call is silly.
Leaving out Bremer...and will..Kirkpatrick...even Moynihan, all of whom were described as neoconservatives.
trope.

If not intended, incredibly easy to say, 'oops, my mistake, not intended, sorry for any offense'...and go back to critiquing the policy positions.
How far do you want to take this ? Add McCain, the Bushes, Cheney's, Wolofowitz, Pearle, Libby... you could fill a stadium.
Again -- I was referring to the founders & how they themselves described the genisis of their movement.
There's nothing dark or sinister there. It's not a trope. It's a key part of our modern political history.
Read any scholarship about the birth of the Neo Conservative movement & it will align with my description & include the names of the founders who I referenced.
It will include those names...and others.
Importantly, others...the trope was the 'dinner parties controlling the course of history'

The movement started way before this group you mention became prominent.

Again, it'd have been super easy to say, 'oops, not my intent, sorry for any offense, I'll try to avoid it in the future"...and go pack to your critique.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism
FTR -- I did mention Kirkpatrick (& Bill Bennet) as token gentiles, Moynihan objected to being called a neoconservative.
The Kristol, Podhoretz, & Kagan dinner parties in NYC were legendary, not unlike Kay Graham's, Ben Bradley's & Sally Quinn's in DC.
It's not a trope to acknowledge the part they have played in our political history.
Again, the trope exists.
It's well-known.
If you stumbled into it, unintentionally, as you have repeatedly said now, it should have been easy to simply say, 'oops, I recognize the trope, not my intent, sorry to give offense, I'll try not to offend again'...and then explain what you really meant, including not simply "dinner parties" but "dinner parties and "controlling the course of history"...

Trope re Jews and their control.

Aligns with trope about an international cabal of such.

Throughline with other tropes about control, and blood libel...

"token gentiles"???
ADL Questions Jay-Z Over Jewish Lyric in ‘The Story of O.J.’

Rolling StoneJuly 6, 2017 7:43PM EDT
ADL Chastises Jay-Z Over Jewish Lyric in 'The Story of O.J.'
Kevork S. Djansezian/Getty
Popular on Rolling Stone

The Anti-Defamation League, a leading Jewish organization dedicated to fighting anti-semitism, says they are concerned about the implications of a lyric on Jay-Z‘s new 4:44 song, “The Story of O.J.” On the track, the rapper rhymes, “You wanna know what’s more important than throwin’ away money at a strip club? Credit/ You ever wonder why Jewish people own all the property in America? This how they did it.”

“We do not believe it was Jay-Z’s intent to promote anti-Semitism,” a rep for the ADL tells Rolling Stone. “On the contrary, we know that Jay-Z is someone who has used his celebrity in the past to speak out responsibly and forcefully against the evils of racism and anti-Semitism.

The organization, however, finds the particular lyric problematic. “The lyric does seem to play into deep-seated anti-Semitic stereotypes about Jews and money. The idea that Jews ‘own all the property’ in this country and have used credit to financially get ahead are odious and false. Yet, such notions have lingered in society for decades, and we are concerned that this lyric could feed into preconceived notions about Jews and alleged Jewish ‘control’ of the banks and finance.”

A rep for the rapper did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The lyric immediately sparked a debate on social media over whether the lyric was anti-Semitic, and if not, whether Jay intended it to be complimentary despite signaling to long-held stereotypes about Jews. Madonna and U2’s manager, Guy Oseary, who is Jewish and was born in Israel, offered his interpretation in an Instagram post that featured a picture of himself with Jay-Z.

Oseary argued that the line taken out of context could be seen as anti-Semitic, though he noted that Jay-Z uses exaggerated stereotypes in both the lyrics and video for “The Story of O.J.” “Jewish people do NOT ‘own all the property in America,'” Oseary said. “Jay knows this. But he’s attempting to use the Jewish people in an exaggerated way to showcase a community of people that are thought to have made wise business decisions. As an example of what is possible and achievable … In my opinion, Jay is giving the Jewish community a compliment. ‘Financial freedom’ he mentions as being his ONLY hope. If you had to pick a community as an example of making wise financial decisions achieving financial freedom who would you choose? I’m not offended by these lyrics.”

Russell Simmons also defended the rapper earlier this week on Twitter, writing, “Mischief makers would like to take Jay’s statements about the culture and practices that exist within some parts of the jewish community (notice I say some). The fact is this culture that promotes good business and financial well-being is and has been a guiding light to the black and specifically the hip-hop community.”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:48 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:58 am Sorry, guess I should have finished it. Figured you'd get it, guess not.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... e%20gander
Gotta say, not sure what you're trying to communicate.

Please take another swing at the ball.

Were you saying that you were offended by the compulsory prayer and pledges comment and the description of those demanding such? Do you identify as such in public schools, feel allied to such perhaps? I wouldn't have guessed that...

You're in favor of compulsory prayer and pledges in public schools?
Geezuz, boys, this isn't really too hard. Snake says was offended by salty's comment.
Rest assured they do not take part in compulsory prayer or pledges. Save that shite for the dim-witted who are incapable of critical thought.
I'm figuring a whole lot of people were offended by his above comment, hence my goose and all that comment.
Capisce?
If the situations were exactly the same but there are differences that aren’t insignificant to separate the too. You don’t eat a chicken breast the same way you eat a wing.

Sensitivity isn’t completely amorphous and subjective as you are suggesting. There are many hard and bright lines.

Comparing someone who’s intentionally slow to someone who’s people have been pushed into the sea and the target of genocide more than once in human history. Surely you aren’t saying those are the same-as you’re Merrimack Webster explanation describes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:02 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Me
Are you Jewish ?
Why would that matter :?:
Unless you are Jewish, it’s just virtue signaling.
I will stand up for Natalie Portman every day and night I am on this planet!

(And hopefully be richly rewarded by her for my valor one day…)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:04 pm
Me
Are you Jewish ?
An interesting question. People should wonder about answering that too quickly...

I've lived in eight decades, and not until 2018 did I have any doubt that I was 50% Irish Catholic from my mother's side and 50% English Episcopalian on my father's. That all changed with a 23andme cheek swab. Turns out while I'm over 90% Irish and English, I'm also 7.3% Ashkenazi Jewish. If that only came from one individual it would be four generations ago (great, great grandparent) some time in the mid-1800s.)

Do yourselves a favor and get a genetic test done. It may change everything you know, or think you know. And how you think.

Among the other smaller ethnic percentages I'm .6% Nigerian, and I'm very proud of that, too.
Don’t send me any emails about royal cousins with trapped cash over there!

And, I definitely don’t want any genetic tests done and find out these cats are close relatives:

1. https://goonies.fandom.com/wiki/Sloth
2. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquis_de_Sade
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So you are claiming to be a victim of abuse? If so you have to say that. No hiding behind anyone else’s words. Say you believe you are the victim of abuse.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:50 pm
trope.

Do they all discuss secret dinner parties to plan events in the world? You might need to open up your scholarly reading if so.
I did not say they were "secret". Appelbaum wrote about her dinner parties, as did the neo-con founders who I subsequently discussed.
They were self-acclaimed gatherings of foreign policy "influencers", not limited by religion. So what ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:05 pm
So you are claiming to be a victim of abuse? If so you have to say that. No hiding behind anyone else’s words. Say you believe you are the victim of abuse.
I claim no victimhood. I can defend myself. I find this all amusing & revealing.
Others should examine their own actions & motivations.

This is more precise, except I reject the term "lib-tard". ( :lol: ...as does our auto-censor)
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... by%20proxy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Some of you boys need to pat yourselves on your backs.
old salt has clearly stated this more than once but that doesn't matter to you boys, it's pile on salty time again.
-- I was not aware that 2 of the 3 "influencers" I referenced were Jewish. How would I know that ?
-- I am not familiar with the "dinner party trope" which MDLF76 so enthusiastically & tastelessly embellished.
This kind of thing has happened to me more than once on this board, you read it one way when it was meant another
but that doesn't matter your minds are made up and that's not going to change. The stones are going to be thrown,
careful not to break any of the windows in those glass houses, fellas. Not one of you is the least bit hesitant to say
some mighty offensive stuff to salty...not one.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Leaving out Bremer...and Will..Kirkpatrick...even Moynihan, all of whom were described as neoconservatives.
Not sure Bremer would qualify as a neocon either. He entered the Foreign Service out of graduate school & rose to prominence working for Henry Kissinger, in & out of govt. Kissinger is a realist who still often differs with neocons. Bremer is lumped in with all the neocons he worked with in the Bush admin. Moynihan rejects the neocon label for himself, although he was good friends with the neocon founders. Was Will ever a liberal, or a conservative from the start of his writing ?
https://nationalinterest.org/feature/ge ... cons-11252
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:32 pm
Me
Are you Jewish ?
"control the course of history" is a common anti-semitic trope, with a long, long history of such claims.
I referenced the Protocol of the Elders of Zion as one such incredibly insidious and damaging conspiracy theory that continues to this day to be cited as if true...and it's a core part of the QAnon conspiracy claims.

The supposed gathering of international Jews, or sometimes wink-wink termed "globalists", needn't have been at dinner or a party, but that's often been how it's been portrayed...insidiously alluding to the blood libel of killing children and drinking their blood, "eating" children in some sort of satanic ritual, reframed by QAnon and its like as an international ring of pedophiles who control the world...with references to this being predominantly Jews and those under their influence or control.

Want a primer on some of the most frequent anti-semitic tropes, here's one summary of such: https://global.ajc.org/files/ajc/upload ... ossary.pdf

or this: https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/fil ... mitism.pdf
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:37 pm
Leaving out Bremer...and Will..Kirkpatrick...even Moynihan, all of whom were described as neoconservatives.
Not sure Bremer would qualify as a neocon either. He entered the Foreign Service out of graduate school & rose to prominence working for Henry Kissinger, in & out of govt. Kissinger is a realist who still often differs with neocons. Bremer is lumped in with all the neocons he worked with in the Bush admin. Moynihan rejects the neocon label for himself, although he was good friends with the neocon founders. Was Will ever a liberal, or a conservative from the start of his writing ?
Yes, Bremer is/was definitely a neocon.
Prominently so, serving in the Bush Admin.

The neoconservative movement preceded all these guys, a reaction against what was, in contrast, termed paleoconservativism.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:50 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:37 pm
Yes, Bremer is/was definitely a neocon.
Prominently so, serving in the Bush Admin.
What specifically qualifies Bremer as a neocon ? He was appointed to do a job, which he did. He did not take us into the war.

" globalism" is not antisemitic. You can't disqualify everything.

Return to “POLITICS”