Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by NovaHound »

I forgot to add that Fairey seems to have a knack for where the ball is on the ground and had some nice gbs. Toomey was mixing up the Close D and I can't remember if Fairey only played LSM or was back on Close... I liked watching Roman play. He's physical. And we all know what Middleton can do.
And I think they all attempted a shot. Heck - it was only a scrimmage.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Much better performance then last season.

Offensively ball was moving well. When things settled in I thought the guys out there played well and looked solid. James, Kamish, Lindsey, Poitras and Higgins all had goals(+) and made plays that could have resulted in more goals and / or points…we know what those guys can do and so does the staff. Those 5 guys will have major roles as expected so really no news or surprises with our core…

Those guys were used very little after the 3rd qtr of the Cuse scrimmage and that’s the plan…which leads me to my next comment

The nice part was seeing the young guys get lots of time as they should in this format and they performed well. So much potential and the guys mentioned above to name a few like Murphy, Minicus, Haberman…it’s great to see what’s there and most important is there is playing time there for these guys…add in guys like Hueston and Binney and McGory…it’s all healthy competition and good parts to work with for the staff

They young guys can continue to gel in with the core guys mentioned above and then we get what we need in terms of that 10-12 guy offensive group you need to be successful and we all know injuries happen…so getting depth and young guys feeling comfortable is key as this team hits January

I’ll call it mission accomplished yesterday.

Defensively we need to be good at the SSDM spot. I like the progress there but championship teams must have very good SSDM play. Like what I saw from the poles and obviously getting Wyers back will be a force multiplier. I also want to see a healthy Vandenheuvel be ready to compete for time

So I get it’s a scrimmage and lots of mix and match starts after a few qtrs - clearly the staff was holding out some key older guys in the second scrimmage which is the right thing to do…

Lots of work to do but I’m bullish on the mix of veteran production and new potential on both sides of the ball

Good luck to the Hounds the rest of the fall
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:02 pm Much better performance then last season.

Offensively ball was moving well. When things settled in I thought the guys out there played well and looked solid. James, Kamish, Lindsey, Poitras and Higgins all had goals(+) and made plays that could have resulted in more goals and / or points…we know what those guys can do and so does the staff. Those 5 guys will have major roles as expected so really no news or surprises with our core…

Those guys were used very little after the 3rd qtr of the Cuse scrimmage and that’s the plan…which leads me to my next comment

The nice part was seeing the young guys get lots of time as they should in this format and they performed well. So much potential and the guys mentioned above to name a few like Murphy, Minicus, Haberman…it’s great to see what’s there and most important is there is playing time there for these guys…add in guys like Hueston and Binney and McGory…it’s all healthy competition and good parts to work with for the staff

They young guys can continue to gel in with the core guys mentioned above and then we get what we need in terms of that 10-12 guy offensive group you need to be successful and we all know injuries happen…so getting depth and young guys feeling comfortable is key as this team hits January

I’ll call it mission accomplished yesterday.

Defensively we need to be good at the SSDM spot. I like the progress there but championship teams must have very good SSDM play. Like what I saw from the poles and obviously getting Wyers back will be a force multiplier. I also want to see a healthy Vandenheuvel be ready to compete for time

So I get it’s a scrimmage and lots of mix and match starts after a few qtrs - clearly the staff was holding out some key older guys in the second scrimmage which is the right thing to do…

Lots of work to do but I’m bullish on the mix of veteran production and new potential on both sides of the ball

Good luck to the Hounds the rest of the fall
Great post.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:31 am The thing id like to hear from those who attended is how the offense moved in terms of the ball movement player to player. There were too many times over the last few years where the ball would die in a stick and then a forced pass to the inside or a late pass for a contested step down.

Were things improved in this regard? Davis can’t be the only playmaker, otherwise he will be keyed in on
Agree with the ball dying in one person's stick--except when Pat had it!
saltydogs

Post by saltydogs »

Photos, Highlights, Analysis from Syracuse, Loyola, High Point and ’Nova's Playday | Inside Lacrosse
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 6-56056669
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Sweet. Thank You!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2022/ ... dules.aspx

Men and women’s teams have announced their schedule.

Same opponents as last year but flip the script on the venues. This year might even be more difficult than last. All OOC teams have reloaded and even upgraded their talent.

The patriot league teams have improved overall as well with Boston returning every key contributor, Lehigh took Virginia to the brink, army tore apart Michigan in a scrimmage after losing their best player to graduation. Navy appears to have the most talented roster. There is absolutely no easy game this season.

Will also like to say the program has finalized their 2024 recruiting class. Can anyone point out a time where they filled the 11-12 man class in a two month span?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:42 am https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2022/ ... dules.aspx

Men and women’s teams have announced their schedule.

Same opponents as last year but flip the script on the venues. This year might even be more difficult than last. All OOC teams have reloaded and even upgraded their talent.

The patriot league teams have improved overall as well with Boston returning every key contributor, Lehigh took Virginia to the brink, army tore apart Michigan in a scrimmage after losing their best player to graduation. Navy appears to have the most talented roster. There is absolutely no easy game this season.

Will also like to say the program has finalized their 2024 recruiting class. Can anyone point out a time where they filled the 11-12 man class in a two month span?
Loyola plays a big boy schedule every year…love that!

This team will be ready and I think better. Really good core of veterans and some new guys…I like the potential mix here. Just gotta see it come together.

Can’t believe we’re only about 60 days out from opening day at Ridley!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Hope the boys have been lifting.
That's a helluva schedule. They will be seasoned for PL play.
Love it.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The OOC schedule will be very difficult, but I’d be surprised if the top of the Patriot League didn’t take a step back aside from BU. I don’t think one scrimmage result means Army is set to take a step forward without Nichtern. Indeed, the year before his arrival they went 5-8 and then in his freshman year won 13 games. I don’t think they’ll be a 5 win team but I’d be surprised to see them challenging for the tournament. Especially with a lot of other key losses. Lehigh really underachieved a year ago IMO and loses possibly their best offensive and defensive player and multi year goalie starter. Do think Navy takes a step forward but need to put together a full year of consistent high level play.

Y’all lose some key pieces, but if you can manage to put together an offense that can find enough goals, I think the PL is eminently gettable, though BU will be very good
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The OOC schedule will be very difficult, but I’d be surprised if the top of the Patriot League didn’t take a step back aside from BU. I don’t think one scrimmage result means Army is set to take a step forward without Nichtern. Indeed, the year before his arrival they went 5-8 and then in his freshman year won 13 games. I don’t think they’ll be a 5 win team but I’d be surprised to see them challenging for the tournament. Especially with a lot of other key losses. Lehigh really underachieved a year ago IMO and loses possibly their best offensive and defensive player and multi year goalie starter. Do think Navy takes a step forward but need to put together a full year of consistent high level play.

Y’all lose some key pieces, but if you can manage to put together an offense that can find enough goals, I think the PL is eminently gettable, though BU will be very good
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

IMO - BU needs to be the odds on favorite in the PL, but after that, I’d say the next 3-4 teams (Loyola is in that mix) can make a run and could unseat BU as the champ.

Easy to make bold predictions on a board in December, but I expect the Loyola offense to be very productive this year and better than they were last year. They return a good core of veteran guys on offense that can really play. Mix that with a couple 2-4 newbie young guys and I feel good about the offense.

If they can find consistency on the backend, in cage, and at the face off dot, they could be very good…but we will see.

Love the schedule which is normal for the Hounds…excited!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

I too like the competitive schedule. But with that being said, first four games, MD, Hopkins, Rutgers and Towson. we could be 0-4, 1-3. Towson always gives us a hard time.

Beat Lafayette

Duke

Patriot league will be competitive. Bucknell, Army, BU and Lehigh will all be close games, even Colgate gave us a run last year.

We will need some young players to step up to be in these games.

Optimistically we could be 8-8 with wins over Hopkins, Towson, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Navy and Colgate
Or could easily be 4-12 with losses to Towson, Bucknell, Lehigh and Hopkins.

Stay injury free, and we will need our defense to step up big.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Don't even bother buying tickets this year, loyal Loyola fans.
The dogs are in for a long year, indeed. Looks like 0-4 start, for certain. No chance at the PL abnd Bu will run away with it.
Too many personnel losses and no real new talent. Toomey and co will be outmanned and outgunned for most of the year.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:01 pm Don't even bother buying tickets this year, loyal Loyola fans.
The dogs are in for a long year, indeed. Looks like 0-4 start, for certain. No chance at the PL abnd Bu will run away with it.
Too many personnel losses and no real new talent. Toomey and co will be outmanned and outgunned for most of the year.

not to mention the pl will i guess be hot garbage with loyola sneaking into the pat playoffs @ 3 and 11 and then going to the semis.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:01 pm Don't even bother buying tickets this year, loyal Loyola fans.

Maybe even think about holding open tryouts on campus….surely there are some BL, St. Paul’s and Loyola kids on campus that played in high school.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:46 pm

Maybe even think about holding open tryouts on campus….surely there are some BL, St. Paul’s and Loyola kids on campus that played in high school.
We can only hope! Anything will help. I imagine Toomey spent most of the fall perfecting the backer zone and Armadillo.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

"There’s a legitimate argument to be made that the Greyhounds will be worse than they were last year, when they finished 8-8 and outside the NCAA Tournament. In fact, they lost a one-goal game to Army in the Patriot League Semifinals after winning three straight; in 2021 (when they made it to overtime of the NCAA Quarters vs. Duke), they won a one-goal game over Army in the Patriot League Semifinals after winning three straight. That dichotomy illustrates how narrow the margins are.

They’ll be without Olmstead, Lindley, Savio, McNulty, LeBlanc and Shafer for the first time since Pat Spencer was on campus, though McNulty is now on staff as the Hounds' DOLO. That core gives way to Adam Poitras (coming off of a Minto Cup MVP performance), Evan James, Joey Kamish, Davis Lindsey and Seth Higgins, the collective of which is healthier than they had been heading into last season. The defense brings back a ton experience in US National Team tryout invitee Peyton Rezanka, LSM Scott Middleton and defensemen Matt Hughes and Cam Wyers. Face-off and goalie play are big question marks."

Terry Foy has us 19 in his early top 20. With some injuries this fall, a couple of knees and broken bones, it may be a tough start
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:55 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:46 pm

We can only hope! Anything will help. I imagine Toomey spent most of the fall perfecting the backer zone and Armadillo.
I played summer club ball with one of the W&L goalies from those
teams — I’ll have to ask him about the Armadillo game next time I
run into him.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A few posters around here told us last year the young guns needed a shot.
They are no longer young guns. Here's their shot.
Almost time to play ball!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”