Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Matnum PI »

2023 will be a breakout season for Liam Bateman or is this just wishful thinking?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:02 pm 2023 will be a breakout season for Liam Bateman or is this just wishful thinking?
We’ll he is a graduate senior who didn’t score a single goal last year in 16 games so I guess any goals would be a breakout season. Heard he’s getting some second line middie runs and is a battle with a few others for the second line spot.

We’ll probably know more after the weekend’s scrimmage
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:02 pm 2023 will be a breakout season for Liam Bateman or is this just wishful thinking?
I think wishful thinking, he as had 4 years to prove himself and has not made most of his opportunities
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:35 am Big scrimmage date Sunday. 11:00 and 1:15 games v Cuse and Nova. Looking forward to meeting some parents and watching some great Lax.
The SU scrimmage will be telling for the season and how the team comes together. I am interested in how Staudt does in goal and if the D middies have improved from last year.

Will Wyers scrimmage?

Offensively, lets see who rises to the top, going to be a great day for lacrosse
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

For any player alums, parents, fans, followers etc.

I highly suggest you check out this interview coach Toomey did where he describes his thought process on recruiting, culture and loyola as a whole.

https://youtu.be/5Wey6AnAgo0
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thanks HoundAce!!

Regarding the scrimmage on Sunday I'm hearing that Wyers and Vandenhuevel will be held out. This leaves Hughes as the only starter on D and he will likely be joined Chauvront (spelling), Houlihan and Bean. This will not be the lineup in the Spring so I'm not going to get too worked up about the D. I just hope they play well and communicate with the Goalie. I guess it's possible to see Fairey back there on Close D too if Toomey decides to go with Middleton and Roman at LSM. It will all be an interesting mix.

Also believe we'll see Staudt play first and then Watkinson. I could be wrong.

SSDM - it will be a strength in the Spring but Hounds will miss Rezanka on Sunday. No worries. Will give us a chance to see what Mustang and a new guy, Cole Erickson, can do.

FOGO - huge question mark. I don't know who's healthy or how they're playing.

I'm just hoping the offense finds a spark and the back of the net - more times than Cuse. The Orange will be much improved and bring in quality transfers.

And they have the #1 Recruit Joey Spalina.

It's a long day with a lot of quarters played. The players will be gassed at the end.

I also believe that we will learn a lot about what type of team we'll have in the Spring, at least on offense and in Goal. Last years effort against Villanova and Delaware was lackluster - kinda like the season. If Sunday's play is lackluster, it will be a long seasonIMO.

My biggest wish is for the Hound Goalies to make more stops and get the ball back to the offense. Watch the clearing game and see how the younger guys do.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ing-/60302

This is also a fantastic read to end your Friday on.

Terry Foy was at practice for fall ball a couple weeks ago and broke down a ton of things.

He’s mentioned the freshman class throughout this article and the hope plus potential for each man.

He’s heaped praise on the talent that remains despite significant graduation losses.

He has pointed out that the staff will consider decision to mix and match guys and will change if necessary for their performance.

Finally, he notes that the staff as well as the players view 2022 to be extremely disappointing and that they are hungry to get back to their winning ways.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Isn’t LeBlanc’s brother there now? I haven’t heard anyone mention his name.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

For anyone going to the scrimmages today please post thoughts or updates!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
saltydogs

Post by saltydogs »

beat su by 1
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Here is a tweets which includes an interview with the coach
https://twitter.com/terencefoy/status/1 ... _6ZULsg5EQ
Laxmaninamillion

What a day for the freshmen. Murphy may have been best Greyhound. Haberman Minicus Cote and West were terrific. 2nd line middies we’re invisible. FOGO is a huge problem. Lots of poles missing but Sophomores Roman and Houlihan were excellent. Tons of talent in the freshmen class and they played a ton. Good things.
Laxmaninamillion

So for more of a review Cuse jumped out to a 3-0 lead early. Greyhounds were without two starters on D. Came back strong though. Higgins had a nice goal and Minicus looked good at the QB spot at X. Was surprised to see Bateman Houston Binney trio at 2nd line mid. No goals but Houston did have a bunch of shots. Bateman and Binney were invisible. McGory played with freshmen West and Cote. Again, not much to see in first game as they didn’t play much. Murphy came in at mid and then played some attack and was the star of the game. Two goals and some great assists. Haberman was the beneficiary of some of his passes.

Murphy looked like a stud. Dodging from all over the field in both games. West and Cote also looked good along with Haberman. Lastly, McCullouch had a bunch of points. This freshman class is loaded. Can see a second line middie group of Murphy, West and Cote/McGory by mid season especially if current group of upper class men middies continue to regress.

Looking forward to February.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Last year in the preseason scrimmage against Cuse, the Greyhounds were annihilated - something like 18-4 or some nonsense like that. It was a different story this year. Terry Foy scored it 14-12 Hounds. Someone scored it 13-12 Hounds. I think I scored it 12-12 Hounds. Shows how much attention I was paying. Villanova game was an opportunity for the Hounds to play everyone. I think the starters were pulled sometime in the first qtr. Don't need to discuss that game - we know which one mattered.

Hounds were missing some key players like Wyers, Rezanka and Vanderheuval (experienced D pole). But this enabled Bean, Houlihan, Chauvront, and others, to get some time back on D. They did their best against a very good Cuse team IMO. I thought McGillicuddy and Sherwood played well - much more confident this year which is what we need. Saffin got a lot of time on the field along and will become an asset, and was getting coached up by Toomey on the sideline. Erickson is still learning the system and will be good. Mustang led the SSDMS in time on the field and must've been gassed by the end of the 2nd game. This core of SSDMs is much improved and that was without Rezanka.

I had previously mentioned I would be interested in the clearing game and yes, Hounds had some troubles there. I think Cuse scored 3 goals after turnovers on the clear in unsettled situations. That can get cleaned up.

I know what our offense can do with Kamish, James, Higgins, Lindsey and Poitras (who had a couple of sweet goals right on the crease). We'll be ok there. So what's next? I wanted to see how the new Freshman played. They're good. I'm gonna say that that group will continue to improve and earn ample play time because they have a huge upside, and not because others regress.

Good to see the goalies do well. Each team had several man-up opportunities and I believe the Hounds had at least one stop, so credit to the goalies. I believe Whittaker is improved and Watkinson has a bright future.

Pacheco was a bit rusty and the biggest concern was Cottone going down late in the game against Nova with what appeared to be a hamstring injury. I'm hoping it's not serious.

If the sense of urgency holds and the team stays healthy, there could be a lot of excitement this season.

That's my takeaway...

Go Hounds!!
lorin

Post by lorin »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:07 am So for more of a review Cuse jumped out to a 3-0 lead early. Greyhounds were without two starters on D. Came back strong though. Higgins had a nice goal and Minicus looked good at the QB spot at X. Was surprised to see Bateman Houston Binney trio at 2nd line mid. No goals but Houston did have a bunch of shots. Bateman and Binney were invisible. McGory played with freshmen West and Cote. Again, not much to see in first game as they didn’t play much. Murphy came in at mid and then played some attack and was the star of the game. Two goals and some great assists. Haberman was the beneficiary of some of his passes.

Murphy looked like a stud. Dodging from all over the field in both games. West and Cote also looked good along with Haberman. Lastly, McCullouch had a bunch of points. This freshman class is loaded. Can see a second line middie group of Murphy, West and Cote/McGory by mid season especially if current group of upper class men middies continue to regress.

Looking forward to February.
Dude if your kid was at Army, the first tailgate we had we would code red your sad ass. talking about kids so negative.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

He's just looking for a reason to knock the same couple (upperclass) kids.

What the coaches understand is that there is more to a midfield line than points. I personally liked what the second line did. That line isn't necessarily asked to score in droves. As long as it's facilitating the attack scoring. If people paid attention, particularly in the second half when the hounds came back, every time Bateman and Binney initiated on offense, it ended with slide and back side goal. Both got the defense's attention and drew movement and moved the ball. So blast that line all you want. Until that (indirect) production dries up, there probably won't (nor shouldn't) be any changes. Not to mention Houston was close on a few shots. If he improves his shooting, and scores one here, there is nothing more you could want out of a second midfield line.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

:D :D :D

And BTW - in my write up I was combining the new Frosh with the sophomores who didn't get much PT last year.

This team will be good.

And well Said Kramerica and Lorin.....
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:20 pm What a day for the freshmen. Murphy may have been best Greyhound. Haberman Minicus Cote and West were terrific. 2nd line middies we’re invisible. FOGO is a huge problem. Lots of poles missing but Sophomores Roman and Houlihan were excellent. Tons of talent in the freshmen class and they played a ton. Good things.
I agree with everything you said, Youngsters led the way.. FOGO agree is a huge problem, this could cost us in the close games.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

The thing id like to hear from those who attended is how the offense moved in terms of the ball movement player to player. There were too many times over the last few years where the ball would die in a stick and then a forced pass to the inside or a late pass for a contested step down.

Were things improved in this regard? Davis can’t be the only playmaker, otherwise he will be keyed in on
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:59 am Last year in the preseason scrimmage against Cuse, the Greyhounds were annihilated - something like 18-4 or some nonsense like that. It was a different story this year. Terry Foy scored it 14-12 Hounds. Someone scored it 13-12 Hounds. I think I scored it 12-12 Hounds. Shows how much attention I was paying. Villanova game was an opportunity for the Hounds to play everyone. I think the starters were pulled sometime in the first qtr. Don't need to discuss that game - we know which one mattered.

Hounds were missing some key players like Wyers, Rezanka and Vanderheuval (experienced D pole). But this enabled Bean, Houlihan, Chauvront, and others, to get some time back on D. They did their best against a very good Cuse team IMO. I thought McGillicuddy and Sherwood played well - much more confident this year which is what we need. Saffin got a lot of time on the field along and will become an asset, and was getting coached up by Toomey on the sideline. Erickson is still learning the system and will be good. Mustang led the SSDMS in time on the field and must've been gassed by the end of the 2nd game. This core of SSDMs is much improved and that was without Rezanka.

I had previously mentioned I would be interested in the clearing game and yes, Hounds had some troubles there. I think Cuse scored 3 goals after turnovers on the clear in unsettled situations. That can get cleaned up.

I know what our offense can do with Kamish, James, Higgins, Lindsey and Poitras (who had a couple of sweet goals right on the crease). We'll be ok there. So what's next? I wanted to see how the new Freshman played. They're good. I'm gonna say that that group will continue to improve and earn ample play time because they have a huge upside, and not because others regress.

Good to see the goalies do well. Each team had several man-up opportunities and I believe the Hounds had at least one stop, so credit to the goalies. I believe Whittaker is improved and Watkinson has a bright future.

Pacheco was a bit rusty and the biggest concern was Cottone going down late in the game against Nova with what appeared to be a hamstring injury. I'm hoping it's not serious.

If the sense of urgency holds and the team stays healthy, there could be a lot of excitement this season.

That's my takeaway...

Go Hounds!!
+1 what I saw also, the young d middies did play better

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”