2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:23 pm People should think a whole lot more about student loans than they do, IMO. The whole thing never made much sense to me and even less today as the value of that coveted sheepskin sure aint what it used to be.
Grampa will sell his car to his eighteen year old grandson. The car books for $30K but he'll sell it to gson for $10K. There's not a bank on the face of the earth that would give that unemployed eighteen year old a $10K loan for that car despite the fact that they would be tens of thousands of dollars ahead if they had to repossess it. They'll give him $50K for a student loan though despite the fact that it's a much higher risk loan. Makes absolutely no sense.
While I get that tons of people got themselves in a helluva a financial jam with these loans, I don't see how they can just be forgiven. Something just doesn't feel right about that. My d-in-law, who is 50something just paid her student loans off a couple of years back. No way those loans were worth it, the social worker is now making about $70K/yr.
“ They'll give him $50K for a student loan though despite the fact that it's a much higher risk loan.”

Modern debt slavery. Almost impossible to discharge even when it is, ad you rightly note, underperforming.

I wonder if people could incorporate and then get rge loan as a business. It probes worthless, write it off as a bad investment. If corporations are people, then why shouldn’t people be corporations?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:23 pm People should think a whole lot more about student loans than they do, IMO. The whole thing never made much sense to me and even less today as the value of that coveted sheepskin sure aint what it used to be.
Grampa will sell his car to his eighteen year old grandson. The car books for $30K but he'll sell it to gson for $10K. There's not a bank on the face of the earth that would give that unemployed eighteen year old a $10K loan for that car despite the fact that they would be tens of thousands of dollars ahead if they had to repossess it. They'll give him $50K for a student loan though despite the fact that it's a much higher risk loan. Makes absolutely no sense.
While I get that tons of people got themselves in a helluva a financial jam with these loans, I don't see how they can just be forgiven. Something just doesn't feel right about that. My d-in-law, who is 50something just paid her student loans off a couple of years back. No way those loans were worth it, the social worker is now making about $70K/yr.
This will never get old

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aczcjP0LfNI
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Lenders will lend to an 18yr old on an in the money car today no problem actually. That’s changed quite a bit.

But here’s the reason-student debt was lobbied heavily years ago to be non dischargeable by bankruptcy. Lenders can keep the claim for your life and death. That’s why they’ll make that student loan. If you go to college you carry that debt until you pay it off.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:31 pm
“ They'll give him $50K for a student loan though despite the fact that it's a much higher risk loan.”

Modern debt slavery. Almost impossible to discharge even when it is, ad you rightly note, underperforming.

I wonder if people could incorporate and then get rge loan as a business. It probes worthless, write it off as a bad investment. If corporations are people, then why shouldn’t people be corporations?
Lender wants a warm body not a LLC or S Corp. for most small business debt including SBA “venture debt” that’s 75% gtd by the US Govt (7a program most common there’s a CRE owner occ program called 504 as well but different) they still get a personal guaranty from the owner of the entity. Only when you get to sever corporate levels or are so over collateralized by easy to value marketable assets can you borrow without a personal guaranty even at the corporate level.
DMac

Post by DMac »

While I respect your expertise in all things money, Ffg, you'd have to prove that to me before I'd believe it. They might give that unemployed eighteen year that car loan with a real strong co-buyer and $5K+ down, but I find it real hard to believe they'd give it to him on his own. They probably wouldn't want him on the loan at all.....straw purchase gonna happen for gson to end up with that car.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:50 pm While I respect your expertise in all things money, Ffg, you'd have to prove that to me before I'd believe it. They might give that unemployed eighteen year that car loan with a real strong co-buyer and $5K+ down, but I find it real hard to believe they'd give it to him on his own. They probably wouldn't want him on the loan at all.....straw purchase gonna happen for gson to end up with that car.
Ok well I’ve been in boardrooms of most of the banks in your backyard but that’s a lot of work to prove something like this. So keep your thoughts if you want but it’s not what I’ve seen in credit risk Mgt inside: evans, five star, NBT, Community bank, Canandaigua bank & trust and probably two or three more in your general hood. Was just joking with a banker buddy about what NBT paid for Elmira Savings Bank a few weeks ago and his colleague was NBTs advisor on it.

For the record I’d bank with either evans or Canandaigua B&T of that list as a customer. If not a credit Union but you didn’t hear that from me.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:49 pm Lender wants a warm body not a LLC or S Corp. for most small business debt including SBA “venture debt” that’s 75% gtd by the US Govt (7a program most common there’s a CRE owner occ program called 504 as well but different) they still get a personal guaranty from the owner of the entity.
Oh, I've signed one of those suckers from the SBA. And initialed a whole ton of pages.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:49 pm Lender wants a warm body not a LLC or S Corp. for most small business debt including SBA “venture debt” that’s 75% gtd by the US Govt (7a program most common there’s a CRE owner occ program called 504 as well but different) they still get a personal guaranty from the owner of the entity.
Oh, I've signed one of those suckers from the SBA. And initialed a whole ton of pages.
Yeah the doc stream is absurd. Did they ask for a third lien on your home as well? They do that often.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:30 pm
Yeah the doc stream is absurd. Did they ask for a third lien on your home as well? They do that often.
:lol: Didn't have a home, neither did my brother. It was a great day when we paid that thing off.

Grateful to all my fellow taxpayers for the SBA program. The SBA STILL turns a "profit" ........ takes in in fees more than it guarantees in loans.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brandonbus ... 97d9e7372d

I only know of one kid personally that has graduated within the past 4 years that isn’t making 6 figures. My daughter graduated in 2021 and will eclipse that number. Works in tech consulting like thousands of others. Don’t encourage kids to go to college at your own risk…. Play the odds (not discounting a trade)

1. There’s no better investment return than college – not even close. Long-standing economic analyses have shown that people who earn a bachelor’s degree – on average - make considerably more money over their lifetime than those with a high school diploma. And according to researchers Michael Greenstone and Adam Looney, an investment in a college degree delivers an inflation-adjusted annual return of more than 15%, significantly larger than the historical return on stocks (7%) and bonds, gold and real estate (all below 3%). “If college were a stock, it would be the darling of Wall Street,” according to Dr. Enrico Moretti, author of “The New Geography of Jobs” and an economist at University of California – Berkeley.

2. More college graduates contribute to less income inequality, not more. In his book, Moretti makes a clear case that the decrease in the supply of college educated workers in the U.S. since 1980 has contributed more to income inequality than any other factor. In “The Race Between Education and Technology,” Harvard economists Larry Katz and Claudia Goldin show that if the increase in the number of college graduates since 1980 had kept pace with rates prior to 1980, wage inequality in America would have fallen in the past thirty years, not increased.

3. More Americans getting college degrees not only helps them, but helps raise the wages of unskilled workers too. Moretti found that for a college graduate an increase in the number of other college graduates in the same city corresponds to a salary increase – but not a particularly large one. For a high school graduate, the increase is four times larger. For a high school dropout the effect is five times larger.

4. These convincing returns on education are obscured by more recent data about high percentages of underemployed graduates and significant regional differences in college graduate earnings. It’s also confounded by long-lasting wage stagnation in the U.S. Recent reports suggest that as many as 40% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed – the vast majority of which is accounted for in the underemployed category. Regional differences make the calculation of the return on a college degree rather complicated. "The average worker with a high school education in Boston makes 44% more than a college graduate in Flint. And a high school graduate in San Jose makes thousands of dollars more than college-educated workers in Merced,” according to Moretti. Further complicating the debate is the fact that current median pay for bachelor degree holders is below 1990 levels – so wage stagnation has hit college graduates along with the rest of the workforce.

5. Which brings us to the next point exacerbating the debate. The astronomically rising costs of college has colored the value debate. During the same time that median pay for college grads has stagnated (since 1990), college tuition and fees have gone up 391%. And to put that increase in comparison to other industries that have been critiqued for rising costs, higher education tuition has outpaced healthcare costs by two-fold over the past few decades. The cost of college is increasing almost eight times faster than wages, a trend that is absolutely not sustainable.

6. Along with the rising cost of higher education has come a large amount of college loan debt – about $1.5 trillion worth. This kind of number is hard to fathom, so let’s focus on it from an individual’s perspective. For many people, student loans are necessary to get their degree. It’s now becoming increasingly important for students to think carefully about the amount they borrow for loans relative to their expected earnings after graduation. This is not an easy calculation for many students, especially those right out of high school, who may be uncertain about their college major and future career choices. Still, there is guidance available. There is ample data available on earnings (by job type and region) to help understand what that picture might look like for various jobs. A more general rule of thumb: try not to take out loans in excess of $25,000 total. Graduates who took out more than $25,000 in loans report lower financial and physical wellbeing for as long as 25 years after graduation.

7. On top of all this, there have been recent declines in confidence and public support for higher education. Of all institutions measured by Gallup, higher education has fallen more in the past few years in confidence ratings than any of the institutions measured. This decline in confidence is driven in part by political polarization – with Republican’s views of higher education souring considerably since 2015. (Note: this trend began before Trump’s election and is tied to several concerns such as free speech being limited on campus.) But getting outside the political divide, the consistent bipartisan view that’s of most concern for the long-run is that college is not relevant to work. With only 13% of Americans strongly agreeing college graduates are well prepared for work and only 11% of C-level executives saying the same – there’s a lot of work to do on the part of college and corporate leaders alike.

8. By far the top college-going motivation of Americans is “to get a good job.” Our lack of efforts to draw a tighter connection between what students learn and what prepares them most for the world of work betrays the most important driver of consumers’ interest in higher education. If we fail here, we fail on the most important part of our mission. Getting value out of college - for the vast majority of Americans - means getting a good job, not just a degree.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Given that the sheepskin is the ticket to riches, why the need for student loan forgiveness?
I don't think you'd have to travel too far out of your circle to find more than one college grad
not making six figures. Further, six figures is a far cry from what it once was. Looked at the
price of cars lately? Houses, rent, health insurance?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:30 pm
:lol: Didn't have a home, neither did my brother. It was a great day when we paid that thing off.

Grateful to all my fellow taxpayers for the SBA program. The SBA STILL turns a "profit" ........ takes in in fees more than it guarantees in loans.
They split the premium gain on sale with the lenders above 110/100 and for most of this past decade premiums have been between $113-$117 per hundred (on the 75% that govt gtd 75% portion) so they’ve been getting an additional 1.5%-3.5% on their guaranteed portions for a decade now. But long run defaults are terrible. Can look at the data. Standard SBA borrower goes like this (and it’s a lot or retail, start up restaurants and bars in there):

Year 1-make payments while trying
Year 2-stretching and dipping into personal cash
Year 3-tapping all liquidity to maintain
Year 4-default

Seriously if you look at the data the default rate is like 35-40% after year 4 or year 5. But it’s venture debt to support start ups. It’s supposed to lose money. Unlike, say, the GSEs or HUD.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:40 pm

I only know of one kid personally that has graduated within the past 4 years that isn’t making 6 figures. My daughter graduated in 2021 and will eclipse that number. Works in tech consulting like thousands of others. Don’t encourage kids to go to college at your own risk…. Play the odds (not discounting a trade)

1. There’s no better investment return than college – not even close. Long-standing economic analyses have shown that people who earn a bachelor’s degree – on average - make considerably more money over their lifetime than those with a high school diploma. And according to researchers Michael Greenstone and Adam Looney, an investment in a college degree delivers an inflation-adjusted annual return of more than 15%, significantly larger than the historical return on stocks (7%) and bonds, gold and real estate (all below 3%). “If college were a stock, it would be the darling of Wall Street,” according to Dr. Enrico Moretti, author of “The New Geography of Jobs” and an economist at University of California – Berkeley.

2. More college graduates contribute to less income inequality, not more. In his book, Moretti makes a clear case that the decrease in the supply of college educated workers in the U.S. since 1980 has contributed more to income inequality than any other factor. In “The Race Between Education and Technology,” Harvard economists Larry Katz and Claudia Goldin show that if the increase in the number of college graduates since 1980 had kept pace with rates prior to 1980, wage inequality in America would have fallen in the past thirty years, not increased.

3. More Americans getting college degrees not only helps them, but helps raise the wages of unskilled workers too. Moretti found that for a college graduate an increase in the number of other college graduates in the same city corresponds to a salary increase – but not a particularly large one. For a high school graduate, the increase is four times larger. For a high school dropout the effect is five times larger.

4. These convincing returns on education are obscured by more recent data about high percentages of underemployed graduates and significant regional differences in college graduate earnings. It’s also confounded by long-lasting wage stagnation in the U.S. Recent reports suggest that as many as 40% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed – the vast majority of which is accounted for in the underemployed category. Regional differences make the calculation of the return on a college degree rather complicated. "The average worker with a high school education in Boston makes 44% more than a college graduate in Flint. And a high school graduate in San Jose makes thousands of dollars more than college-educated workers in Merced,” according to Moretti. Further complicating the debate is the fact that current median pay for bachelor degree holders is below 1990 levels – so wage stagnation has hit college graduates along with the rest of the workforce.

5. Which brings us to the next point exacerbating the debate. The astronomically rising costs of college has colored the value debate. During the same time that median pay for college grads has stagnated (since 1990), college tuition and fees have gone up 391%. And to put that increase in comparison to other industries that have been critiqued for rising costs, higher education tuition has outpaced healthcare costs by two-fold over the past few decades. The cost of college is increasing almost eight times faster than wages, a trend that is absolutely not sustainable.

6. Along with the rising cost of higher education has come a large amount of college loan debt – about $1.5 trillion worth. This kind of number is hard to fathom, so let’s focus on it from an individual’s perspective. For many people, student loans are necessary to get their degree. It’s now becoming increasingly important for students to think carefully about the amount they borrow for loans relative to their expected earnings after graduation. This is not an easy calculation for many students, especially those right out of high school, who may be uncertain about their college major and future career choices. Still, there is guidance available. There is ample data available on earnings (by job type and region) to help understand what that picture might look like for various jobs. A more general rule of thumb: try not to take out loans in excess of $25,000 total. Graduates who took out more than $25,000 in loans report lower financial and physical wellbeing for as long as 25 years after graduation.

7. On top of all this, there have been recent declines in confidence and public support for higher education. Of all institutions measured by Gallup, higher education has fallen more in the past few years in confidence ratings than any of the institutions measured. This decline in confidence is driven in part by political polarization – with Republican’s views of higher education souring considerably since 2015. (Note: this trend began before Trump’s election and is tied to several concerns such as free speech being limited on campus.) But getting outside the political divide, the consistent bipartisan view that’s of most concern for the long-run is that college is not relevant to work. With only 13% of Americans strongly agreeing college graduates are well prepared for work and only 11% of C-level executives saying the same – there’s a lot of work to do on the part of college and corporate leaders alike.

8. By far the top college-going motivation of Americans is “to get a good job.” Our lack of efforts to draw a tighter connection between what students learn and what prepares them most for the world of work betrays the most important driver of consumers’ interest in higher education. If we fail here, we fail on the most important part of our mission. Getting value out of college - for the vast majority of Americans - means getting a good job, not just a degree.
The problem with subsidized student debt is this - $2.2mm/head for an expansion where core infrastructure already exists…no accountability from administrators. (And you know they’ll bow through those budgets)

But that’s not all. High Point is spending $115 million on student life facilities that will be able to accommodate 500 more students as the university continues to grow. It is putting in new retail stores and apartments in an $80 million five-story facility called Panthers Commons, as well as putting $10 million toward 32 new houses and cottages for students that got underway in December and a $25 million parking garage that will be completed by the end of the year. Construction of Panthers Commons is starting in a couple of weeks and will be done next summer.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:12 pm

The problem with subsidized student debt is this - $2.2mm/head for an expansion where core infrastructure already exists…no accountability from administrators. (And you know they’ll bow through those budgets)

But that’s not all. High Point is spending $115 million on student life facilities that will be able to accommodate 500 more students as the university continues to grow. It is putting in new retail stores and apartments in an $80 million five-story facility called Panthers Commons, as well as putting $10 million toward 32 new houses and cottages for students that got underway in December and a $25 million parking garage that will be completed by the end of the year. Construction of Panthers Commons is starting in a couple of weeks and will be done next summer.
The college arms race has gotten out of control. I believe there will be a shakeout. But if someone doesn't go to trade school or college, likely to have a tougher time. Not everyone but on average. I encourage anyone within my sphere to play the odds. This includes trade school or community college before matriculating to a university. Foregoing post high education is a high wire act.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:28 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:12 pm

The college arms race has gotten out of control. I believe there will be a shakeout. But if someone doesn't go to trade school or college, likely to have a tougher time. Not everyone but on average. I encourage anyone within my sphere to play the odds. This includes trade school or community college before matriculating to a university. Foregoing post high education is a high wire act.
I agree just that the debt subsidy has so distorted the value proposition which is why we have the issues we have today. If it were private sector it would be those greedy bastards but it’s not so they used to go after Sallie Mae for working a program they created (while letting Fannie and Freddie run rampant in the 2000s willfully blind) then Obama took out FFELP and made it direct DOE lending, the department has fudged their numbers to hide losses for years, so then they went after Corinthian and the virtual/for profit sector. And twenty years of this and colleges are still spending like a holes and no one has really bothered to look at the structural issues which include subsidized debt. Either make it a grant and take the L straight up on the books or don’t guarantee nearly as much debt but this middle ground is the predominant reason we are here now and even debating the value of education.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:02 pm Given that the sheepskin is the ticket to riches, why the need for student loan forgiveness?
I don't think you'd have to travel too far out of your circle to find more than one college grad
not making six figures. Further, six figures is a far cry from what it once was. Looked at the
price of cars lately? Houses, rent, health insurance?
... For those who belong in college, it can be a ticket to riches, for those who don't it is a ticket to bankruptcy in many cases. As a society we have way too many people in college that don't belong anywhere near a traditional college campus. Mommy and daddy are the problem. The bankers and all the middlemen are more than happy to take advantage of the situation. It also negatively impacts the educational mission of colleges. Sorry if that sounds elitist, but it is the truth.

Trade schools are the answer, but they are not good enough for mommy and daddy.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree.

Will say again, TLD, with all those college grads making six figures there is no need for student loan forgiveness, there should be no such discussion. The math doesn't work there....or they should have learned how to manage money with all that education.

You will not find an example of an 18 year old recent HS grad with no job or credit history that was given a $30K car loan at any bank anywhere, Ffg. I can tell you with a couple of decades of experience that flat out aint gonna happen. You can find probably millions of examples of 18 year olds given $30K student loans with the wave of the magic wand though, despite the fact that they have no idea where they're going to be working or what they're going to be doing to pay that loan back. In TLD's world they'll all be making six figures but in the real world that aint happenin'.

jhu72 is right on the money, IMO. Sure, there's value in a college education but it aint for the masses as is shoved down pretty much everyone's throat, and it aint worth what it used be. You see darn near all college grads making six figures, TLD, in the real world I've seen many college grads who couldn't get a car loan because their debt to income ratio was way too high (student loans put a hurtin' on you for a long time). Hopefully Mommy and Daddy's credit is still good enough to be co-buyers, otherwise the six figure earning college grad aint gonna be driving no new car. Lot of people need to re-think college.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5SeXNabd8
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:56 am Completely agree.

Will say again, TLD, with all those college grads making six figures there is no need for student loan forgiveness, there should be no such discussion. The math doesn't work there....or they should have learned how to manage money with all that education.

You will not find an example of an 18 year old recent HS grad with no credit history that was given a $30K car loan at any bank anywhere, Ffg. I can tell you with a couple of decades of experience that flat out aint gonna happen. You can find probably millions of examples of 18 year olds given $30K student loans with the wave of the magic wand though, despite the fact that they have no idea where they're going to be working or what they're going to be doing to pay that loan back. In TLD's world they'll all be making six figures but in the real world that aint happenin'.

JHU72 is right on the money, IMO. Sure, there's value in a college education but it aint for the masses as is shoved down pretty much everyone's throat, and it aint worth what it used be. You see darn near all college grads making six figures, TLD, in the real world I've seen many college grads who couldn't get a car loan because their debt to income ratio was way too high (student loans put a hurtin' on a hurtin' on you for a long time). Hopefully Mommy and Daddy's credit is still good enough to be co-buyers, otherwise the six figure earning college grad aint gonna be driving no new car. Lot of people need to re-think college.
I am talking about odds. I believe I mentioned trade schools and community colleges being utilized more effectively. I am ambivalent regarding the student loan bailout. The government was a catalyst to the problem, in someways. Philosophically, I can see my way to supporting the idea that the government participate in the downside. Bailed out mortgage back security market at one time. Auto industry another. Now throwing money at chips….Some things are more complex than “see spot run”…. As for high wage earners, their loans shouldn’t be forgiven. That’s a good idea. Scale the forgiveness. Neither of mine borrowed a single $. I planned and saved starting day 1. I had the money so I paid the money. My belief is that there are many affordable colleges in this country but parents don’t want to send their kids to them. Do a search. I am on the record here.

I am indifferent regarding the bailout. Nobody forgave my student loan. I made sure my kids didn’t need one. Money played no role in my kids college selection decision. Turned down plenty because we planned.

Again, I am talking about odds. You can discourage college to those you can influence if you want. I support a college education or some form of post HS education. Helped my old admin assistant direct her two boys to trade school and got them interviews with metal shops with apprentice programs for HS kids….. College isn’t for everyone.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“There’s no better investment return than college – not even close. Long-standing economic analyses have shown that people who earn a bachelor’s degree – on average - make considerably more money over their lifetime than those with a high school diploma.”

Causality or correlation?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:56 am Completely agree.

You will not find an example of an 18 year old recent HS grad with no job or credit history that was given a $30K car loan at any bank anywhere, Ffg. I can tell you with a couple of decades of experience that flat out aint gonna happen. You can find probably millions of examples of 18 year olds given $30K student loans with the wave of the magic wand though, despite the fact that they have no idea where they're going to be working or what they're going to be doing to pay that loan back. In TLD's world they'll all be making six figures but in the real world that aint happenin'.

jhu72 is right on the money, IMO. Sure, there's value in a college education but it aint for the masses as is shoved down pretty much everyone's throat, and it aint worth what it used be. You see darn near all college grads making six figures, TLD, in the real world I've seen many college grads who couldn't get a car loan because their debt to income ratio was way too high (student loans put a hurtin' on you for a long time). Hopefully Mommy and Daddy's credit is still good enough to be co-buyers, otherwise the six figure earning college grad aint gonna be driving no new car. Lot of people need to re-think college.
We have in many cases perverted the mission the purpose of college and turned it into a very very expensive trade school* with attached very nice vacation resort. This is the effect middle class mommies and daddies demanding their kids go to college (not trade school, heaven forbid) has had. Marketeers giving the customer, mommy and daddy what they want.

* when I use the phrase "trade school" here I mean a school geared towards near term acquisition of a job. Job acquisition was never meant to be part of the mission of traditional college, it was meant as introductory training for ultimately participating in a profession. That profession would require additional training. Of course with a college degree you could find employment but it was never meant as the primary goal. This of course wrongly leads to the perception that college is better than trade school (see mommy and daddy), when it shouldn't. This perception frankly is one of the casus belli of the "blue collar" working class in the culture war.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”