2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:24 pm But we're still living with the huge deficit producing tax rate cuts on wealthy and corporations...just couldn't get those changes through the Senate this past go round, and now unlikely for at least another 2 years.
Biden, McConnell, and Pelosi want them in place, let's not gloss over that.

It's disgusting, and is sticking it to working class Americans...as well as small businesses who don't get these perqs.
I don't follow...Biden and Pelosi??

Please explain.

Or are you referring to the stock trading thing; if so, I 1000% agree.

But Pelosi and Biden would love to roll back those tax cuts.
They just couldn't get the 50 Dem Senators to agree and no Republicans.

Or are you suggesting that was all BS by Biden and Pelosi??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:45 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:32 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:25 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:18 am This is true but also my problem with Biden is he’s just doing things to win elections. May be less repugnant than modern R leadership but it doesn’t merit my support either. And having a generic “we have to help student debtors” turn into an “oh sh*t, I need to make good and feed these hunger profligate kids who don’t like contracts or honoring their obligations so I’ll just cancel their debt and worry about things like legality or taxpayers later”. That’s mostly all I see out of the den side too. Reactionary, not trying to long term plan and execute a strategy just some high level goodies for someone else to worry and out transmission to the public and future consequences.
Agree completely on the debt game. I would MUCH prefer that Biden make training/education free at State Schools than cancel old debt.

That said, Biden got us infrastructure. That's not a game, that's badly needed, and more than overdue. And if the R's weren't playing games, that bill would have been much larger, and have actual, real benefits to Americans.
Why do we need to go right to open surgery? Start with an antibiotic. Add physical therapy, maybe laproscopy. Expand free and lower cost Community College. Work to ensure junior college degrees and classes translate to credit at state universities.
We don't! Did you not see the bolded phrase?

I'd be 100% ok to start with free training for trades-----electrician, plumbing, construction, et. al. We're short on those trades in the millions. Heck, lump "coding/programming" in with those. THEN do college. Works for me. We've done NOTHING about the skills and labor gap for decades. I have NO problem pushing kids into training, and give college bound kids the middle finger for a change. Sign me up.
Agreed. I have been in a construction trade association for nearly 40 years, and workforce development has been an issue the entire time. We were doing outreach to the released prison population, and they couldn't get on certain jobs, such as school work, because of their record. We need to pick a point in education where the road forks and you are pointed in the direction where you have the best chance to be successful in life commensurate with your abilities and aptitude. It's way more compassionate than saying you need to go the college prep track. One size does not fit all.

As far as college tuition financing/loan forgiveness, tuitions are as high as they are because of the federal student loan program. Every time they raised the amount you could borrow, the colleges raised their tuition. How about limiting the amount you could borrow based on your potential earnings. If you're studying to be a cardiac surgeon, you can borrow more than someone going for a degree in social work. Works like most mortgages do. You need to demonstrate the ability to pay back the loan.
IBEW doesn’t seem to have any problems in the SE supplying thousands for my FILs company. They keep like 1,100 Union electricians working 50 weeks a year. Always adding the apprentice levels folks.

Federal student loan amounts are quite small the ones you’re talking about are private and of course the lenders apply a credit risk standard to whom and how much they lend. Should they also give the money away no questions asked?

Non dischargeable nature of student debt was a big factor too-emboldened the private supplemental lenders to extend more credit.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Pretty good listen here:

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/1582385807280611334

Could have posted this in the "Is America Racist" thread. Why yes, yes it is.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:05 pm Pretty good listen here:

... hard to argue against his points.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Community college is more than trades.
It’s also a good test if a kid is ready for the next step of university. Prove it in juco.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:52 pm

Like I said, Hershel Walker is a modern day sharecropper. It’s actually sad. He poses ZERO threat to the establishment. ZERO. That’s why he’s liked (tolerated).
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Democrats Are Surging in Early Voting

Post by DocBarrister »

Early voting in Georgia is drawing national headlines. African Americans are outperforming their share of registered voters in the state and the number of early voters is actually exceeding the 2020 presidential election numbers.

Indeed, Democrats are outperforming their 2020 national performance in early voting.

https://twitter.com/SimonWDC/status/158 ... S75_grAAAA

Democrats have a chance to pull a stunning upset.

:shock:

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Basically this:

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:24 pm Interesting, but depressing article.
He’s slowly becoming the crypto market while getting hammered with margin calls left and right because he’s absent borrowing cash against holdings.

If the Dems need a weirdo crypto dude to help them win that’s an issue that goes beyond this guys dough.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:10 pm
He’s slowly becoming the crypto market while getting hammered with margin calls left and right because he’s absent borrowing cash against holdings.

If the Dems need a weirdo crypto dude to help them win that’s an issue that goes beyond this guys dough.
... I don't get the impression this guy was anything more than a volunteer target of opportunity -- a blue bird.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:52 pm

... I don't get the impression this guy was anything more than a volunteer target of opportunity -- a blue bird.
Sure seems like they story is blaming him for their problems. The whole arms race financially in politics is so far out of control. I can’t see any good coming if this doesn’t change .
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:55 pm

Sure seems like they story is blaming him for their problems. The whole arms race financially in politics is so far out of control. I can’t see any good coming if this doesn’t change .
Yes, but I didn't get the impression the DNC chased him, it seems the other way round. Agreed too much money in politics.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:06 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:52 pm

Like I said, Hershel Walker is a modern day sharecropper. It’s actually sad. He poses ZERO threat to the establishment. ZERO. That’s why he’s liked (tolerated).
The reason they like bulldogs is because they can keep them on a leash until it’s time to fight.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:36 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:55 pm

Yes, but I didn't get the impression the DNC chased him, it seems the other way round. Agreed too much money in politics.
I read that too but who doesn’t have a backup plan or concentrates their fate in one person. That’s the type of planning my son would get grounded for.
DocBarrister

Republicans say “f*ck you” to 22 million Americans

Post by DocBarrister »

The Eighth Circuit put a hold on President Biden’s student debt relief plan in response to a lawsuit brought by six Republican states.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/21/politics ... index.html

The Republicans just said f*ck you to the 22 million Americans who have already applied for student debt relief.

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-student- ... es-1753983

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
get it to x

Re: Republicans say “f*ck you” to 22 million Americans

Post by get it to x »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:09 pm The Eighth Circuit put a hold on President Biden’s student debt relief plan in response to a lawsuit brought by six Republican states.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/21/politics ... index.html

The Republicans just said f*ck you to the 22 million Americans who have already applied for student debt relief.

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-student- ... es-1753983

DocBarrister :?
So you graduated high school, somehow got an apprenticeship into the IBEW and are now making some bank. Saving for the future. The dolt that occupies the White House say's you need to pick up the tab for a bunch of social justice majors. Are you all in or is it What the heck?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:24 pm So you graduated high school, somehow got an apprenticeship into the IBEW and are now making some bank. Saving for the future. The dolt that occupies the White House say's you need to pick up the tab for a bunch of social justice majors. Are you all in or is it What the heck?
Meh. We have thousands of handouts that apply to one group, and not another. Is the plan to stop ALL handouts? Or just this one?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:56 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:24 pm So you graduated high school, somehow got an apprenticeship into the IBEW and are now making some bank. Saving for the future. The dolt that occupies the White House say's you need to pick up the tab for a bunch of social justice majors. Are you all in or is it What the heck?
Meh. We have thousands of handouts that apply to one group, and not another. Is the plan to stop ALL handouts? Or just this one?
My plan? There’s even some pain but we’d come out the other end better off for it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

People should think a whole lot more about student loans than they do, IMO. The whole thing never made much sense to me and even less today as the value of that coveted sheepskin sure aint what it used to be.
Grampa will sell his car to his eighteen year old grandson. The car books for $30K but he'll sell it to gson for $10K. There's not a bank on the face of the earth that would give that unemployed eighteen year old a $10K loan for that car despite the fact that they would be tens of thousands of dollars ahead if they had to repossess it. They'll give him $50K for a student loan though despite the fact that it's a much higher risk loan. Makes absolutely no sense.
While I get that tons of people got themselves in a helluva a financial jam with these loans, I don't see how they can just be forgiven. Something just doesn't feel right about that. My d-in-law, who is 50something just paid her student loans off a couple of years back. No way those loans were worth it, the social worker is now making about $70K/yr.

Return to “POLITICS”