Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:57 am The Congressional Black Caucus has thrown its financial support behind a white male Democratic congressman in Indiana rather than to his challenger who is looking to become the only Black female Republican in Congress.

"It’s the American people versus the DC politicians and lobbyists," Air Force veteran Jennifer-Ruth Green told Fox News Digital in a statement. "I’m with the American people. The Congressional Black Caucus is with the politicians and lobbyists, and their career politician ally Frank Mrvan. America’s poorest communities are proof Frank Mrvan and the CBC care more about power and helping themselves than helping the people of northwest Indiana. It’s sad."

So much for historic firsts for women and people of color.
well, yes, she's 100% all-in culture warrior. CRT, abortion, "America was founded as a Christian nation", etc, etc...though she's not a complete whack job.

Impressive personal background, but her views would be anathema to a Democrat...

But yes, her most recent tweet is all about not getting endorsed by the CBC.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:57 am The Congressional Black Caucus has thrown its financial support behind a white male Democratic congressman in Indiana rather than to his challenger who is looking to become the only Black female Republican in Congress.

"It’s the American people versus the DC politicians and lobbyists," Air Force veteran Jennifer-Ruth Green told Fox News Digital in a statement. "I’m with the American people. The Congressional Black Caucus is with the politicians and lobbyists, and their career politician ally Frank Mrvan. America’s poorest communities are proof Frank Mrvan and the CBC care more about power and helping themselves than helping the people of northwest Indiana. It’s sad."

If the candidate is black, and you don't support them irrespective of their beliefs and policy preferences, you are racist. OK. Thanks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:29 am

I wonder why they ain’t supporting Herschel Walker. They racists.
Tim Scott is the strange one because he shifts with the wind more than I thought he would from what I knew a while back about him.

In fairness, have to wonder about how Kamala was locked in from day one pretty much as VP among a cohort of black women who has similar ideologies and then they sideline her as if she’s helping his tupac. Seems a little odd these days. Maybe it’s her choice but doesn’t seem like they promote her as much as they could given the importance per election to having a black women as VP on the ticket.

Just something the Dems should maybe be thinking about a little when church mouse Pence is more prominent as VP working behind loudmouth President than she is behind a clearly senior citizen and then some President who they worked to the ticket by having everyone but Warren drop out within a week that Feb.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

To be clear it’s black people making that decision. Not white people holding her down as you like to see it. Sort of incongruous with the idea that all blacks are monolithic as you seem to suggest with this post.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:53 am

Tim Scott is the strange one because he shifts with the wind more than I thought he would from what I knew a while back about him.

In fairness, have to wonder about how Kamala was locked in from day one pretty much as VP among a cohort of black women who has similar ideologies and then they sideline her as if she’s helping his tupac. Seems a little odd these days. Maybe it’s her choice but doesn’t seem like they promote her as much as they could given the importance per election to having a black women as VP on the ticket.

Just something the Dems should maybe be thinking about a little when church mouse Pence is more prominent as VP working behind loudmouth President than she is behind a clearly senior citizen and then some President who they worked to the ticket by having everyone but Warren drop out within a week that Feb.
The Republican candidate in Indiana seems like a quality candidate from what little I have seen. My peeps are in a different district. Tim Scott is kind of caught up in the wash. Today’s GOP isn’t anywhere near what it used to be. Dude has found himself on the wrong side of this “culture” war. His head in the sand is what has caused him to lose respect. He ain’t going to be a voice of decent. Reminds me of the attorney scene in Dark Waters.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:53 am

The Republican candidate in Indiana seems like a quality candidate from what little I have seen. My peeps are in a different district. Tim Scott is kind of caught up in the wash. Today’s GOP isn’t anywhere near what it used to be. Dude has found himself on the wrong side of this “culture” war. His head in the sand is what has caused him to lose respect. He ain’t going to be a voice of decent. Reminds me of the attorney scene in Dark Waters.
That’s sarcasm on the rep from IN right? Bummer when folks get swept up in it. Maybe it’s true colors like the preacher that wants multiple point fees to real estate people to refer homes and mortgages to their flock.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:40 am

well, yes, she's 100% all-in culture warrior. CRT, abortion, "America was founded as a Christian nation", etc, etc...though she's not a complete whack job.

Impressive personal background, but her views would be anathema to a Democrat...

Not pointing at you, but most of the people I know on the left generally have either antipathy or hostility towards religion. Many times it takes a mocking tone, like "Go tell it to your imaginary friend". The left is confused about what the Constitution says about religion. The government may not establish a government religion nor can it prohibit it's free exercise. It's the ultimate "Leave me alone!!" clause. You may not realize it, but those non-believers practice their own form of religion, with sacraments like abortion and "Climate Change" activism that you see your acts of charity. The need to seek what is perceived as positive change comes from somewhere. I suspect that many have a religious background in their family that made them want to help, but they have strayed from religion. I understand, as the church on Earth has not always been in alignment with the teachings of Christ. Unfortunately, the fact that they want government to make decisions absent the Judeo-Christian ethos of humility and compassion will in the end lead to a crueler outcome for those that need our compassion.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:08 am

Not pointing at you, but most of the people I know on the left generally have either antipathy or hostility towards religion. Many times it takes a mocking tone, like "Go tell it to your imaginary friend". The left is confused about what the Constitution says about religion. The government may not establish a government religion nor can it prohibit it's free exercise. It's the ultimate "Leave me alone!!" clause. You may not realize it, but those non-believers practice their own form of religion, with sacraments like abortion and "Climate Change" activism that you see your acts of charity. The need to seek what is perceived as positive change comes from somewhere. I suspect that many have a religious background in their family that made them want to help, but they have strayed from religion. I understand, as the church on Earth has not always been in alignment with the teachings of Christ. Unfortunately, the fact that they want government to make decisions absent the Judeo-Christian ethos of humility and compassion will in the end lead to a crueler outcome for those that need our compassion.
:lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Did you just conflate religion and science?

And do so without credibly pointing to Nietzsches true meaning when he said god is dead? Because there is an intellectual argument that all science still relies on Kierkegaards leap of faith but I strongly suspect unless you explicitly tell me otherwise that none of what I’m writing was on your mind when you wrote this post.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:31 am

And do so without credibly pointing to Nietzsches true meaning when he said god is dead? Because there is an intellectual argument that all science still relies on Kierkegaards leap of faith but I strongly suspect unless you explicitly tell me otherwise that none of what I’m writing was on your mind when you wrote this post.
No. I was pointing out that Secularism is more like a religion than it's adherents would willingly admit.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:53 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:31 am

No. I was pointing out that Secularism is more like a religion than it's adherents would willingly admit.
Probably a cleaner way of saying it here than your prior comment. Using the abortion and climate change examples weren’t the best.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... she is totally naive or another performance artist (which gets my vote). :roll: CBC is a democratic caucus. Why would they back a republiCON? :roll: :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:24 am

... :lol: Hopeless. :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think that the reason you may have responded to me rather than over on the religion thread re your views about secularism is that I noted this particular candidate's mistaken belief that "America was founded as a Christian nation"...a common refrain among Christian Nationalists. This proposition is provably false, though certainly it winds many folks up. I don't know whether that's her actual belief or she just wants to attract Christian Nationalists votes, but...

I was objecting to that, not someone incorporating their "Judeo-Christian ethos" into their own living and practices, nor would I object to a Muslim or Buddhist etc incorporating their religious beliefs into their own living or practices.

Factually, none can claim preeminence as endorsed by the US Constitution, nor by the Founders for that matter.

My objection is utilizing the power of government to enforce one's religious beliefs and their consequences on others.

Christian Nationalists wish to impose a very particular set of religious beliefs, indeed the most 'fundamentalist' of such, on the rest of the society...big objection, thank you.

Now as to secularists, assuming that's what you mean by "non-believers" (I think that's also a mistaken construct as one can be both a believer in God and insist upon secular government), I understand why you may ascribe some of the passion some feel about a particular issue as almost or actually doctrinal, or dogmatic, and I'm sure that's fair in some people's cases. Doctrine and dogma are a short cut to values based on reason, whether religious or anything else. That short cut has some positive implications, but it also has negative.

Where I think you may be going astray is assuming that positions on topics like climate change aren't based on reason and evidence, much akin to the evolution versus creationism 'debate' between "believers" and those who think science actually matters, indeed that the higher power, however defined, endowed us with the capacity for reason...so use it.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:39 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:24 am

... :lol: Hopeless. :roll:
Looks like Move It Through X May consider a move to sub saharan Africa to be with his brethren. Soon to be out gunned here.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:49 am

I think that the reason you may have responded to me rather than over on the religion thread re your views about secularism is that I noted this particular candidate's mistaken belief that "America was founded as a Christian nation"...a common refrain among Christian Nationalists. This proposition is provably false, though certainly it winds many folks up. I don't know whether that's her actual belief or she just wants to attract Christian Nationalists votes, but...

I was objecting to that, not someone incorporating their "Judeo-Christian ethos" into their own living and practices, nor would I object to a Muslim or Buddhist etc incorporating their religious beliefs into their own living or practices.

Factually, none can claim preeminence as endorsed by the US Constitution, nor by the Founders for that matter.

My objection is utilizing the power of government to enforce one's religious beliefs and their consequences on others.

Christian Nationalists wish to impose a very particular set of religious beliefs, indeed the most 'fundamentalist' of such, on the rest of the society...big objection, thank you.

Now as to secularists, assuming that's what you mean by "non-believers" (I think that's also a mistaken construct as one can be both a believer in God and insist upon secular government), I understand why you may ascribe some of the passion some feel about a particular issue as almost or actually doctrinal, or dogmatic, and I'm sure that's fair in some people's cases. Doctrine and dogma are a short cut to values based on reason, whether religious or anything else. That short cut has some positive implications, but it also has negative.

Where I think you may be going astray is assuming that positions on topics like climate change aren't based on reason and evidence, much akin to the evolution versus creationism 'debate' between "believers" and those who think science actually matters, indeed that the higher power, however defined, endowed us with the capacity for reason...so use it.
+1
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Reason and evidence are important. Where is your evidence that we only have ten years until an irreversible, catastrophic climate situation? This has been stated time after time. New Ice Age, Population Bomb, Peak Oil, Acid Rain and on and on. Secular preachers preaching from the pulpit of fear, a la "Chicken Little". Hubris that the current climate is the most ideal for the most people, and that we must mitigate against even the slightest change, as man has somehow lost it's ability to adapt. Always with some unintended consequence, like Germany out of fuel. The sex toy of unintended consequences never comes with any lubrication. Sorry to post this here, as it belongs in the Con/Prog thread.
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:49 pm Hubris that the current climate is the most ideal for the most people, and that we must mitigate against even the slightest change, as man has somehow lost it's ability to adapt. Always with some unintended consequence, like Germany out of fuel.
The path you advocate has downsides, too. The free market didn't create our complete dependency on gas....the people (government) did.

Keep that in mind. Every choice has downsides.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:01 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:49 pm Hubris that the current climate is the most ideal for the most people, and that we must mitigate against even the slightest change, as man has somehow lost it's ability to adapt. Always with some unintended consequence, like Germany out of fuel.
The path you advocate has downsides, too. The free market didn't create our complete dependency on gas....the people (government) did.

Keep that in mind. Every choice has downsides.
Agree 1000%. I prefer to call them trade offs. We accept so many highway deaths, pollution and noise for the joy and convenience of owning our own personal vehicle. Once we realized the exhaust was a problem the government/populous/market got together to lessen the effects. Same with fuel economy. My first car, a 1967 Mercury Monterrey, was basically a coal fired aircraft carrier. It was very comfy, though, and had a nice, big back seat. 8-)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Reason and evidence are important. Where is your evidence that we only have ten years until an irreversible, catastrophic climate situation? This has been stated time after time. New Ice Age, Population Bomb, Peak Oil, Acid Rain and on and on. Secular preachers preaching from the pulpit of fear, a la "Chicken Little". Hubris that the current climate is the most ideal for the most people, and that we must mitigate against even the slightest change, as man has somehow lost it's ability to adapt. Always with some unintended consequence, like Germany out of fuel. The sex toy of unintended consequences never comes with any lubrication. Sorry to post this here, as it belongs in the Con/Prog thread.
When you hear me making such claims as certainties you're more than free to accuse me of dogma over reason and science.

But I haven't.
Nor have I heard more than sincere warnings that failure to address the root causes will, with high confidence, ultimately lead to catastrophic outcomes.

When that tipping point will occur is a much wider spectrum of opinion, not certainty.

I suspect that you are hearing such filtered through a media process that finds the most extreme statements, or clips statements out of context, so as to make a political point...those media feeds are themselves self-interested in their immediate monetization of those wanting to see/hear such, and to bolster the politicians who are on the teat of carbon producers/users.

Big grain of salt, I'd suggest.

On the other hand, one can claim similar motivations for the extremists, though I'm way more suspicious of deeply entrenched, very wealthy, status quo interests than those sounding alarms from the scientific community.

Let's just say that I hope that the warnings are overly dire and/or we react well to the challenge.

Return to “POLITICS”