Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:57 pm Though Zawada appears to be the real deal. Don’t see nearly as much of that upper level talent in the middle or back half of the field. They’re basically hilly like a strong mid major type team. Some nice offensive parts and a few players but not enough depth or athleticism from the back half of the field. Look at most AE/NEC champs and you’d see a similar team.
That's PRECISELY it. But people don't want to hear it, because they're fooled by the UMich marketing department into thinking that Branding= success in every sport.

Nope. Not how that works.

You've got mid major talent thrown into the BigTen. Conry isn't getting the elite kids....and I tried to tell the Forum that UMich isn't a magic recruiting wand back when they were calling for Coach Paul's head. They didn't want to hear it.

Oh well. Conry's contract was renewed by a wise AD that doesn't read Inside Lacrosse, thankfully......so Michigan gets a very competent coach reasonable time to build the program as best as he can.

Everyone is convinced that if they "get the right coach", elite recruits and Final Fours are sure to follow. The problem with this view, obviously, is that you can say the exact same thing about all the top 30 teams. Folks don't want to hear that.
Let's just say that, regardless of how much talent Michigan is getting, if you consider how much they have to offer in recruiting and how much potential they have, if Michigan can't do either in the next few years(note, I didn't say in 2023), it makes total sense if they at least THINK about making some changes. Those are, to, as I have said:

-finish with at least ten wins
-finish in the top four of the Big Ten

And, when it comes to what they have to offer in recruiting, Michigan is, totally, in the very upper-echelon of DI programs. Come to think of it, they have multiple things which are more attractive than those things are at historic programs like Hopkins and Maryland.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes you’ve been saying the exact same thing for five years or more. Sort of doesn’t matter anymore/. Not worth saying the same thing over and over. Everyone knows your position and there’s nothing that will ever change your mind on the narrative it’s just repeating the same thing over and over again.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
a fan

Post by a fan »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:51 pm Let's just say that, regardless of how much talent Michigan is getting, if you consider how much they have to offer in recruiting and how much potential they have
You've been saying that for years now.

Not one single elite D1 player has arrived in Ann Arbor for either Paul or Conry. Not one. Fine players? Yes, no question. Elite D1 players, no.

At what point do you realize you're wrong, and you're simply projecting about the value proposition for elite D1 players coming to Ann Arbor? What needs to happen?
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:51 pm And, when it comes to what they have to offer in recruiting, Michigan is, totally, in the very upper-echelon of DI programs. Come to think of it, they have multiple things which are more attractive than those things are at historic programs like Hopkins and Maryland.
Ran a business in Ann Arbor for a decade. Loved it. Really enjoyed Detroit. But if my kid was an elite D1 player, here's a list of schools I'd suggest the kid visit before Michigan:

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland
Army/Navy---if the kid saw value in that path, nowhere else will compete, obviously

Since branding is so important to you? From where I sit, every school listed there has a better brand than Michigan. Better value for tuition. Better job prospects when done. More W's at each school in lacrosse. The outlier for branding would be Maryland----but tuition is $20k less, and likely closer to most families who want to see their kid play. And then there's the likelihood of Final Fours.

And then other schools like Rutgers, O State, etc.? Michigan has to fight with schools that have lower inState tuition, proximity to parents and family, and better lacrosse legacies.

Get the problem yet?

Now all I'm doing here is matching what you are doing: projecting my values on to UMich. And for me? It does NOT do well, and is way the firetruck down the list for me. But that's just me, and my opinion, which is worth doodly.

Might you consider that the recruits and their parents views on UMich may be more like mine than yours? Or are you going to keep up with your "it's the coach's fault he can't recruit top players to Michigan" game, and insist that there's NO WAY that recruits don't view UMich the way that you do?
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:05 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:51 pm Let's just say that, regardless of how much talent Michigan is getting, if you consider how much they have to offer in recruiting and how much potential they have

Not one single elite D1 player has arrived in Ann Arbor for either Paul or Conry. Not one. Fine players? Yes, no question. Elite D1 players, no.

At what point do you realize you're wrong, and you're simply projecting about the value proposition for elite D1 players coming to Ann Arbor? What needs to happen?
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:51 pm And, when it comes to what they have to offer in recruiting, Michigan is, totally, in the very upper-echelon of DI programs. Come to think of it, they have multiple things which are more attractive than those things are at historic programs like Hopkins and Maryland.
Ran a business in Ann Arbor for a decade. Loved it. Really enjoyed Detroit. But if my kid was an elite D1 player, here's a list of schools I'd suggest the kid visit before Michigan:

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland
Army/Navy---if the kid saw value in that path, nowhere else will compete, obviously

Since branding is so important to you? From where I sit, every school listed there has a better brand than Michigan. Better value for tuition. Better job prospects when done. More W's at each school in lacrosse. The outlier for branding would be Maryland----but tuition is $20k less, and likely closer to most families who want to see their kid play. And then there's the likelihood of Final Fours.

And then other schools like Rutgers, O State, etc.? Michigan has to fight with schools that have lower inState tuition, proximity to parents and family, and better lacrosse legacies.

Get the problem yet?

Now all I'm doing here is matching what you are doing: projecting my values on to UMich. And for me? It does NOT do well, and is way the firetruck down the list for me. But that's just me, and my opinion, which is worth doodly.

Might you consider that the recruits and their parents views on UMich may be more like mine than yours? Or are you going to keep up with your "it's the coach's fault he can't recruit top players to Michigan" game, and insist that there's NO WAY that recruits don't view UMich the way that you do?
This post pretty much nails it

Ann Arbor is a nice place
It’s a good school
They run an elite brand marketing machine

But in lacrosse there are many more spots that are equal or better

Afan listed them but you also need to consider schools out east with rich lacrosse history have much more to offer in terms of “lacrosse alumni networks”…I’m taking specific to lacrosse…not other sports

If I had a kid now, I’d point him to all the Ivy’s, all the ACC schools, Maryland, Hop, Rutgers, Army, Navy…if we’re talking specifically about the lacrosse and education combo

Michigan is a great place and a great school…but the point is, in the small world of D1 lacrosse, you can point out 12-15 others places that give you everything UM has and more…

And yes, this is just my opinion and if my kid says I’m gonna go to Mich, I’d say great! But there are another 15 schools I’d hold equal or better when we’re talking lacrosse/education combo
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:26 am

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland

Get the problem yet?

It’s a good school

Afan listed them but you also need to consider schools out east with rich lacrosse history have much more to offer in terms of “lacrosse alumni networks”…I’m taking specific to lacrosse…not other sports

If I had a kid now, I’d point him to all the Ivy’s, all the ACC schools, Maryland, Hop, Rutgers, Army, Navy…if we’re talking specifically about the lacrosse and education combo

Michigan is a great place and a great school…but the point is, in the small world of D1 lacrosse, you can point out 12-15 others places that give you everything UM has and more…

And yes, this is just my opinion and if my kid says I’m gonna go to Mich, I’d say great! But there are another 15 schools I’d hold equal or better when we’re talking lacrosse/education combo
Michigan would probably fall in the 15-20 range by those metrics. A couple of years of success and the program could get in the 12-15 mix. A friend’s son chose Maryland over Michigan but said Michigan had the strongest pitch of the schools they looked at. On the field performance was the difference. Personally, Michigan recruited my son but he never considered it because of the location. Two of his HS teammates played there and had a good experience. One chose Michigan over Penn actually. Also, a friend’s son also chose an NEC school over Michigan because of the distance. He wanted to get to the games. Michigan would have been a better choice in hindsight.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:40 am

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland

Get the problem yet?

It’s a good school

Michigan would probably fall in the 15-20 range by those metrics. A couple of years of success and the program could get in the 12-15 mix. A friend’s son chose Maryland over Michigan but said Michigan had the strongest pitch of the schools they looked at. On the field performance was the difference. Personally, Michigan recruited my son but he never considered it because of the location. Two of his HS teammates played there and had a good experience. One chose Michigan over Penn actually. Also, a friend’s son also chose an NEC school over Michigan because of the distance. He wanted to get to the games. Michigan would have been a better choice in hindsight.
he wanted to get to what games? isn't the kid on campus, whatever campus that is?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:53 pm

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland

Get the problem yet?

It’s a good school

he wanted to get to what games? isn't the kid on campus, whatever campus that is?
The father wanted to get to the games. I wasn’t clear. The dad didn’t go to college and didn’t appreciate the value of the Michigan experience. Having his kid go away to college was enough. He’s doing fine but he did not have the same options coming out of college that he would have had coming out of Michigan. The parents being able to get to the games was a big factor…..more so than the Michigan pedigree.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:01 pm

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland

Get the problem yet?

It’s a good school

The father wanted to get to the games. I wasn’t clear. The dad didn’t go to college and didn’t appreciate the value of the Michigan experience. Having his kid go away to college was enough. He’s doing fine but he did not have the same options coming out of college that he would have had coming out of Michigan. The parents being able to get to the games was a big factor…..more so than the Michigan pedigree.
that's what i thought you were saying. that it was about the parents being closer. maybe for games. which is... too bad. there are all sorts of reasons why someone has to choose a vs b. commented because this one seemed to be way on the wrong end of those.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:01 pm

Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Brown
Cornell
UPenn
UVa
Duke
Georgetown
Maryland

Get the problem yet?

It’s a good school

that's what i thought you were saying. that it was about the parents being closer. maybe for games. which is... too bad. there are all sorts of reasons why someone has to choose a vs b. commented because this one seemed to be way on the wrong end of those.
I agree. Michigan had good success with players from our area. They were high on him as the previous 2 alums that matriculated were starters and he was was expected to be a 4 year starter. He was a 4 year starter in college but really missed an opportunity. I have known the family since kindergarten. Couldn’t see the big picture.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

There are only 11 schools in the US News rankings ahead of Michigan that have D1 lacrosse. Several have much less to offer in terms of “school - life” balance. Michigan has to be in the top 5 to 10 of any rational family looking at a place for their highly performing lacrosse child. They have landed recruits who have recognized this for the past 5 or more years. What has been lacking is a lacrosse “program”. Coach Paul set them up, but they need to take a more aggressive step to build a staff the is on par with the rest of the conference.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Michigan Men's Lacrosse
@UMichLacrosse
·
Sep 14
Our program is excited to have Mark Bieda (Delaware) join our program in the role of volunteer assistant coach.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 pm There are only 11 schools in the US News rankings ahead of Michigan that have D1 lacrosse. Several have much less to offer in terms of “school - life” balance. Michigan has to be in the top 5 to 10 of any rational family looking at a place for their highly performing lacrosse child. They have landed recruits who have recognized this for the past 5 or more years. What has been lacking is a lacrosse “program”. Coach Paul set them up, but they need to take a more aggressive step to build a staff the is on par with the rest of the conference.
Yep! And as I have said, this year will prove the most so far as to what this current staff is made of.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 pm There are only 11 schools in the US News rankings ahead of Michigan that have D1 lacrosse. Several have much less to offer in terms of “school - life” balance. Michigan has to be in the top 5 to 10 of any rational family looking at a place for their highly performing lacrosse child. They have landed recruits who have recognized this for the past 5 or more years. What has been lacking is a lacrosse “program”. Coach Paul set them up, but they need to take a more aggressive step to build a staff the is on par with the rest of the conference.
Ha tell that to John John Lombardis family who’s team was in the finals.

Give me a break that you speak for all parents.

Forget all of this you Michigan sycophants are completely out to lunch and are
Never to to believe reality as if you’re close relatives to Slim Pickens riding a nuke to the ground.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

For those of you who haven't seen, Inside Lacrosse's Terry Foy came out with a very early Top 20. And Michigan and Utah are in a tie for #20, with the Wolverines getting the slight edge. Both had very young teams in 2022 and have lots of talent returning. The teams ahead of Michigan are Ohio State, Rutgers, and Maryland. Will his prediction come, at least close, to being true at the end of the season? That means the Wolverines would:

1. finish the season ranked(correct me if I am wrong) for the first time in program history
2. finish in the Big Ten top four for the first time
3. almost definitely finish with at least ten wins for the first time

While doing even better would be great, the above would be a very fine next step for Michigan Lacrosse.
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:57 pm For those of you who haven't seen, Inside Lacrosse's Terry Foy came out with a very early Top 20. And Michigan and Utah are in a tie for #20, with the Wolverines getting the slight edge. Both had very young teams in 2022 and have lots of talent returning. The teams ahead of Michigan are Ohio State, Rutgers, and Maryland. Will his prediction come, at least close, to being true at the end of the season? That means the Wolverines would:

1. finish the season ranked(correct me if I am wrong) for the first time in program history
2. finish in the Big Ten top four for the first time
3. almost definitely finish with at least ten wins for the first time

While doing even better would be great, the above would be a very fine next step for Michigan Lacrosse.
Obviously total guesswork. But, hard to see that happening. I’d want to have seen the last season end with something positive before making such a prediction.

The problem is that within the league it’s all relative and coaching seems to not be on par with every other team. The staff last year had Hopkins in hand going into the game, made several changes for seemingly no reason which cost them defensively, failed to adjust to some very clear offensive struggles early in the game and left Homewood with the season spiraling downward. They’ll need to win two games in conference to pull out a top 20 ranking and they have not shown the ability to win one.

Michigan has a brand new offensive coordinator. He will likely need some time to compete in the Big 10. The loss of Turri to St John’s is a problem.

Don’t forget, at one point this past season Michigan was ranked well within the top 20. Started the season 7-0, I believe. Ended it 7-8. That’s super hard to do. They don’t necessarily have better players this year. Rogalski reportedly was trying to leave, which is not a great confidence builder. They have a weaker staff having lost Turri. It’s really all relative—have the others gotten worse?
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

Army travels to Michigan on October 16 at 10 am. Should be a good test.
lorin

Post by lorin »

laxdadj wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:52 am Army travels to Michigan on October 16 at 10 am. Should be a good test.
I agree. Army kids going to Michigan football game tomorrow that's awesome.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:01 pm
Michigan has a brand new offensive coordinator. He will likely need some time to compete in the Big 10. The loss of Turri to St John’s is a problem.
I thought it was your opinion that the asst coaches were the problem in Michigan? That they weren't on par with the rest of the BigTen assistants.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Here's hoping Michigan will be one of the most improved and most surprising teams in 2023.
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

How did Big Blue do today in scrimmage?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”