D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:01 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:03 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:41 pm what were the red flags on milliman that the brass ignored?
My response to that would be more along the lines that the brass wanted a culture change.
I don't think they really care to have a DI athletic profile, and want more of an academic profile that they can leverage for the school.
They're fine if D3 does well, but I believe they are just as happy if D1 lacrosse is marginal.
Run a clean program, stay out of trouble, expectations are not high anymore.
Otherwise, why would Milliman have taken the risk of coming here?
$$$$.
and sometimes people are ok with expectations as they do things they believe are aligned with the career aspirations and goals.

in any event, i guess you're no longer saying that the brass ignored all the red flags in hiring him.
I'm saying I don't think he's the guy to turn the program around, for various reasons, but also it wasn't their goal in hiring him.
Everything with them is a smoke-screen, like the press release of hiring a search firm when they already had the guy picked out.
UMD, for instance, wants to be a sports powerhouse. That's part of their image. The image they want for JHU is a high end academic/medical/research institution.
So I don't think they actually care that much about lacrosse and probably prefer if the Lacrosse powerhouse image is decoupled from the University. That's my take of reading between the lines.
From Milliman's perspective, if he doesn't make the playoffs in the next couple years (assuming worst case) he can still argue he didn't get the support he was promised from the University. The Cornell team he put together went on to reach the Championship game, so he can leverage that for a new role. I'm sure other AD's etc can see what's been going on at Hop so I think he will be able to safely move on.
Everyone laughs at me on here (to each his own LOL) but I think we need a change at the top if the program is ever going to come back to prominence again. That's my take for what it's worth.
How about lacrosse just ain’t that important. When those Hopkins officials got off the plane and saw the Michigan and Ohio State athletic facilities they may have realized it.
+1
WINNER, WINNER!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:02 pm
i've only been asking about this:
wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:16 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:15 pm Petro kept his staff together for like 15 years. In retrospect, he probably should have made some changes, especially with the D coordinator.
But this Coach has turned his staff over within two years. In addition, you got the Epstein debacle and the Murphy debacle, plus more guys walking out the door this year. This is all so messed up.
They needed to see the red flags with this guy before bringing him in here.
I just don't think they did their due diligence at all and as a result the program is on a clear downslope.
what were the red flags before bringing him in?
seems like you're now saying none of that little assassination is accurate, and he's the perfect stooge for this cabal.

have at it, and ftr, i've never met the guy.
LOL I realize you're having enormous fun with this, but if they actually cared about the program, they would have:

a) Kept Petro but shaken up his staff as well as given him his wishlist of things he needed and wanted
or
b) Hired a high profile coach with an engaging personality who could really RECRUIT and MOTIVATE the players as well as someone who really CARED about Hopkins Lacrosse.

Neither of those things happened and I don't think PM gives a FF about Hopkins lacrosse. If picking up your kids from school is more important than practice, that says all you need to know.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:15 pm Petro kept his staff together for like 15 years. In retrospect, he probably should have made some changes, especially with the D coordinator.
But this Coach has turned his staff over within two years. In addition, you got the Epstein debacle and the Murphy debacle, plus more guys walking out the door this year. This is all so messed up.
I just don't think they did their due diligence at all and as a result the program is on a clear downslope.
seems like you're now saying none of that little assassination is accurate, and he's the perfect stooge for this cabal.

LOL I realize you're having enormous fun with this, but if they actually cared about the program, they would have:

a) Kept Petro but shaken up his staff as well as given him his wishlist of things he needed and wanted
or
b) Hired a high profile coach with an engaging personality who could really RECRUIT and MOTIVATE the players as well as someone who really CARED about Hopkins Lacrosse.

Neither of those things happened and I don't think PM gives a FF about Hopkins lacrosse. If picking up your kids from school is more important than practice, that says all you need to know.
what is the wishlist of what he needed and wanted
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm

or

oh, i am.
i'll give you a little counter to ponder:
a) shaking up the staff wouldn't have done anything. wish list i couldn't comment on bc i have no idea what that is. he probably wasn't in a great bargaining position, but i guess hopkins is the 1st instance i've heard of a university not being serious bc they fired coaches for underperformance. like, ever. it's the twilight zone hop.

b) i'm struggling to think of one person that fits all those requirements. seriously, i don't think there's one. petro is actually the only guy i can think of. that would be weird, huh, firing him to show you're not serious and then hiring him right back?
you get the booby prize.. assistants do a lot more heavy lifting than it sounds like you think. ask around if you haven't been thru it. you now have 2 of them. maybe you're trending?

i'll buy the daddy-day-care once someone comes on here to track pm's movements with a daily log.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ok - since people are actually discussing the team I'll jump in. First, the program and fans should feel nothing but gratitude to the 3 departing players mentioned - 2 of which dealt with significant injuries and a third certainly had times where he appeared to be playing hurt. All three of these players were forced at times to play out of position as well given they were all X attackmen in high school - Keogh never played attack, DeSimone played middie his first 3 seasons and Epstein quite possibly could have been moved to wing shooter because of his injury. But the cold hard fact of the matter is that none of them had great seasons in 22. Keogh's points were up because he finally lasted an entire season. If no one knew the history and you were told 16, 25 and 14 goals were walking out the door the reaction would be pretty tepid and as HF 16 pointed out those 55 goals are on the shoulders of approx. 250 shots. So I am hopeful and think it is possible that whomever replaces those 250 shots - 55 goals is not a high bar. Can you replace the 54 assists will be the tougher question to answer IMO. Still as wg... Pointed out 3.5 assists per game between 3 players 2 of which started on attack for a great deal of the season - that's not killing it either. So the IL guys may be right but I think a legitimate argument can be crafted that it is way too soon to be predicting this team is going to be better or worse (either on paper or on the field). Why not wait until Feb 4 before burying this team and support them?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:51 pm Ok - since people are actually discussing the team I'll jump in. First, the program and fans should feel nothing but gratitude to the 3 departing players mentioned - 2 of which dealt with significant injuries and a third certainly had times where he appeared to be playing hurt. All three of these players were forced at times to play out of position as well given they were all X attackmen in high school - Keogh never played attack, DeSimone played middie his first 3 seasons and Epstein quite possibly could have been moved to wing shooter because of his injury. But the cold hard fact of the matter is that none of them had great seasons in 22. Keogh's points were up because he finally lasted an entire season. If no one knew the history and you were told 16, 25 and 14 goals were walking out the door the reaction would be pretty tepid and as HF 16 pointed out those 55 goals are on the shoulders of approx. 250 shots. So I am hopeful and think it is possible that whomever replaces those 250 shots - 55 goals is not a high bar. Can you replace the 54 assists will be the tougher question to answer IMO. Still as wg... Pointed out 3.5 assists per game between 3 players 2 of which started on attack for a great deal of the season - that's not killing it either. So the IL guys may be right but I think a legitimate argument can be crafted that it is way too soon to be predicting this team is going to be better or worse (either on paper or on the field). Why not wait until Feb 4 before burying this team and support them?
LOL you can't stay away...
Welcome back 51, I was wondering what happened to you.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:41 pm what were the red flags on milliman that the brass ignored?
My response to that would be more along the lines that the brass wanted a culture change.
I don't think they really care to have a DI athletic profile, and want more of an academic profile that they can leverage for the school.
They're fine if D3 does well, but I believe they are just as happy if D1 lacrosse is marginal.
$$$$.
and sometimes people are ok with expectations as they do things they believe are aligned with the career aspirations and goals.

in any event, i guess you're no longer saying that the brass ignored all the red flags in hiring him.
I'm saying I don't think he's the guy to turn the program around, for various reasons, but also it wasn't their goal in hiring him.
Everything with them is a smoke-screen, like the press release of hiring a search firm when they already had the guy picked out.
UMD, for instance, wants to be a sports powerhouse. That's part of their image. The image they want for JHU is a high end academic/medical/research institution.
So I don't think they actually care that much about lacrosse and probably prefer if the Lacrosse powerhouse image is decoupled from the University. That's my take of reading between the lines.
From Milliman's perspective, if he doesn't make the playoffs in the next couple years (assuming worst case) he can still argue he didn't get the support he was promised from the University. The Cornell team he put together went on to reach the Championship game, so he can leverage that for a new role. I'm sure other AD's etc can see what's been going on at Hop so I think he will be able to safely move on.
Everyone laughs at me on here (to each his own LOL) but I think we need a change at the top if the program is ever going to come back to prominence again. That's my take for what it's worth.
How about lacrosse just ain’t that important. When those Hopkins officials got off the plane and saw the Michigan and Ohio State athletic facilities they may have realized it.
+1
WINNER, WINNER!
Then that is extremely close minded thinking. A few years ago, there was a USAToday report that Nick Saban's indirect contribution to the University of Alabama was worth approximately $1 billion dollars in funds that came in from all kinds of sources not associated with the athletic department. By raising the Alabama profile resulted in a large increase in applicants, increase in fund raising, raised academics, increased alum actions, and the like. Now, lacrosse isn't football and Hopkins isn't the University of Alabama but people like to be around winners and support winners. By taking actions anti-thesis to that view, will inherently mean less in the coffers. Yes, Daniels can keep going to Mike hat in hand for more money but it sure would be a good idea to grow the donor base - particularly those that view sports and athletic achievement as important.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Backinshape wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:42 pm Nebraska Football. They were a juggernaut. There was a time where their willingness to invest as much as they possibly could into their program was enough to win them national championships and propel them into the mix as a national championship contender on an annual basis. TV revenue started to spread out amongst conferences which caused more and more programs to join the arms race. Nebraska still has the willingness to invest as much as possible into their program, but that willingness is no longer enough of a catalyst to prop them up as a national title contender. Too many other schools are doing it as well....
Johns Hopkins had a lot of years where there was a better chance of them playing in the final 4 then them missing out on memorial day weekend. They invested heavily into the program and it resulted in sustained success. That sustained success, while still expected by seemingly every alum, is a thing of the past. There are so many more schools offering 12.6 scholarships now. Johns Hopkins built an incredible lacrosse facility- but so did others. Johns Hopkins still admits lacrosse players that do not fit the academic profile of the general student body- so does everyone else. Johns Hoopkins' coaches can still generate supplemental income- so can everyone else.
The amount of schools that are willing to invest heavily into their lacrosse programs has risen exponentially. That is the hurdle for the Hopkins program being a perennial national championship contender.
Don't really disagree with your view but Nebraska football torched their program when they listened to Tom Osborne and moved to the B1G because Tom was jealous that the conference was being "controlled" by UT. Moving to the B1G resulted in the Texas HS football coaches basically closing the border to Nebraska Texas HS football recruits. Nebraska had to shift recruiting from Texas and compete with other programs in other states. There are other issues (like the restrictions in the walk on program Nebraska used to run) has resulted in a Nebraska program that is floundering. There is a reason Oklahoma (with a very similar population demographic) didn't suffer the same fate as Nebraska - they remained tied to UT - and will continue to remain tied with the move to the SEC.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:19 pm
Backinshape wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:42 pm Nebraska Football. They were a juggernaut. There was a time where their willingness to invest as much as they possibly could into their program was enough to win them national championships and propel them into the mix as a national championship contender on an annual basis. TV revenue started to spread out amongst conferences which caused more and more programs to join the arms race. Nebraska still has the willingness to invest as much as possible into their program, but that willingness is no longer enough of a catalyst to prop them up as a national title contender. Too many other schools are doing it as well....
Johns Hopkins had a lot of years where there was a better chance of them playing in the final 4 then them missing out on memorial day weekend. They invested heavily into the program and it resulted in sustained success. That sustained success, while still expected by seemingly every alum, is a thing of the past. There are so many more schools offering 12.6 scholarships now. Johns Hopkins built an incredible lacrosse facility- but so did others. Johns Hopkins still admits lacrosse players that do not fit the academic profile of the general student body- so does everyone else. Johns Hoopkins' coaches can still generate supplemental income- so can everyone else.
The amount of schools that are willing to invest heavily into their lacrosse programs has risen exponentially. That is the hurdle for the Hopkins program being a perennial national championship contender.
Don't really disagree with your view but Nebraska football torched their program when they listened to Tom Osborne and moved to the B1G because Tom was jealous that the conference was being "controlled" by UT. Moving to the B1G resulted in the Texas HS football coaches basically closing the border to Nebraska Texas HS football recruits. Nebraska had to shift recruiting from Texas and compete with other programs in other states. There are other issues (like the restrictions in the walk on program Nebraska used to run) has resulted in a Nebraska program that is floundering. There is a reason Oklahoma (with a very similar population demographic) didn't suffer the same fate as Nebraska - they remained tied to UT - and will continue to remain tied with the move to the SEC.

Times change: https://vault.si.com/vault/1974/06/10/t ... ke-it-back

I knew what Johns Hopkins lacrosse was before I had ever laid eyes on a lacrosse stick.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Keeping Petro was never going to happen. The goal was to clean house. Support for the program was cut back. I have posted about the hiring process and what did and did not happen.

Having said that PM is a boot on the ground. He is not a hire i would have made for reasons. But be is the coach and deserves a chance to be successful. As someone mentioned year 4 is the tipping point in my view. The current class has players that have potential. I think it is 10 Canadians out of 49 players or 20% or so. A friend pointed it out to me asking if maybe Blue Jay will eventually become Canuck. I will be interested to see how many of the first years will start.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Wgdsr

“b) i'm struggling to think of one person that fits all those requirements. seriously, i don't think there's one. petro is actually the only guy i can think of. that would be weird, huh, firing him to show you're not serious and then hiring him right back? “

You are right. It was not the reason
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:15 pm
$$$$.

+1
WINNER, WINNER!
Then that is extremely close minded thinking. A few years ago, there was a USAToday report that Nick Saban's indirect contribution to the University of Alabama was worth approximately $1 billion dollars in funds that came in from all kinds of sources not associated with the athletic department. By raising the Alabama profile resulted in a large increase in applicants, increase in fund raising, raised academics, increased alum actions, and the like. Now, lacrosse isn't football and Hopkins isn't the University of Alabama but people like to be around winners and support winners. By taking actions anti-thesis to that view, will inherently mean less in the coffers. Yes, Daniels can keep going to Mike hat in hand for more money but it sure would be a good idea to grow the donor base - particularly those that view sports and athletic achievement as important.
I am not sold that the Hopkins admin is trying to actively tank or demote the program. But as some others have pointed out, the words don't match the actions. My guess is the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

The bulk of JHU's money isn't tied to lax. Those old lax donors are significant enough contributors that they would be a PITA to deal with if Hop just came out and stopped trying or demoted the program to D3. So It's more likely that the admin is just going through the motions to keep a few of the old guys or larger donors appeased. They can fire a coach or two, update a locker room, maybe re-turf a field. But they aren't gonna spend the real money it would take to compete with these B1G football schools. As others pointed out. Lax just simply isn't the same league with football. And that's who Hop is competing against.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:01 pm
$$$$.

+1
WINNER, WINNER!
I am not sold that the Hopkins admin is trying to actively tank or demote the program. But as some others have pointed out, the words don't match the actions. My guess is the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.

The bulk of JHU's money isn't tied to lax. Those old lax donors are significant enough contributors that they would be a PITA to deal with if Hop just came out and stopped trying or demoted the program to D3. So It's more likely that the admin is just going through the motions to keep a few of the old guys or larger donors appeased. They can fire a coach or two, update a locker room, maybe re-turf a field. But they aren't gonna spend the real money it would take to compete with these B1G football schools. As others pointed out. Lax just simply isn't the same league with football. And that's who Hop is competing against.
where and what are these big $$ schools spending $$ on for lacrosse?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:17 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:01 pm
$$$$.

+1
WINNER, WINNER!

where and what are these big $$ schools spending $$ on for lacrosse?
next month ohio state joins michigan and penn state in adding lacrosse facilities since they joined the big ten. Rutgers has a new lacrosse building. I don't pay attention to maryland weight rooms. I haven't seen any evidence or on the record comments that support for the team has been cut back by the Daniels administration.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ins-/60301
IL's on campus report.
2/3 top goalies are either recovering from injuries or coming back
lot of jay dyer love-why.
hf16's guy alex brother mazzone (wire reference) seems to be off to a strong start
mcdermott and peshko who are in make or break months for their hopkins careers were both hurt over the summer
narewski also limited w/knee issues
melendez looks strong but there's an injury history there
the also rans on the midfield who couldn't permanently seize jobs last year are being pushed by younger bigger and more athletic middies.
defense has strong depth at the poles.
usually these things spend a lot of time on the team trying to replace departing guys but you didn't see any mention of that which speaks volumes about the departed players.
since it's IL of course the proofreading sucked. Kaufman's role got cut off.
Nothing about the ssdms.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i believe it's tosu's facility that is completely alumni funded. it holds about 2 k and looks like it's in an industrial park.

michigan's entire program needed to be funded to even start. it wouldn't surprise me that their tiny stadium is all self funded.

don't know about psu, thogh what i do know it doesn't look state of the art. would any hopkins fans trade stadiums?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:29 pm i believe it's tosu's facility that is completely alumni funded. it holds about 2 k and looks like it's in an industrial park.

michigan's entire program needed to be funded to even start. it wouldn't surprise me that their tiny stadium is all self funded.

don't know about psu, thogh what i do know it doesn't look state of the art. would any hopkins fans trade stadiums?
2020 I think I pointed out penn states stadium had portapoddies on the field.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Not sure why anyone would think President Daniels wants the lacrosse program to fail.

Indeed, President Daniels’ entire tenure has been characterized by high-profile, splashy successes.

Splashy new Cordish Lacrosse Center.

https://www.jhfre.jhu.edu/projects/Comp ... enter.html

The splashy new new student center.

https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/viceprov ... nt-center/

A splashy new building in Washington DC.

https://www.ncpc.gov/news/item/153/

A splashy new financial aid program.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2018/11/26/michael- ... s-hopkins/

Splashy success with the overall Hopkins athletic program.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/10/ ... 66-10.aspx

Splashy success in college rankings.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/jhu-2077

That is President Daniels’ entire MO … big, high-publicity, splashy successes that increase the profile of the university and enhance his own legacy.

And you think he wants to sabotage the lacrosse program?

If anything, I suspect President Daniels is p*ssed that the lacrosse program has failed to bring glory to him and the university. It’s probably not the highest thing on his list of priorities, but I suspect President Daniels would love to raise a national championship trophy in lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:58 pm Not sure why anyone would think President Daniels wants the lacrosse program to fail.

Indeed, President Daniels’ entire tenure has been characterized by high-profile, splashy successes.

Splashy new Cordish Lacrosse Center.

https://www.jhfre.jhu.edu/projects/Comp ... enter.html

The splashy new new student center.

https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/viceprov ... nt-center/

A splashy new building in Washington DC.

https://www.ncpc.gov/news/item/153/

A splashy new financial aid program.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2018/11/26/michael- ... s-hopkins/

Splashy success with the overall Hopkins athletic program.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/10/ ... 66-10.aspx

Splashy success in college rankings.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/jhu-2077

That is President Daniels’ entire MO … big, high-publicity, splashy successes that increase the profile of the university and enhance his own legacy.

And you think he wants to sabotage the lacrosse program?

If anything, I suspect President Daniels is p*ssed that the lacrosse program has failed to bring glory to him and the university. It’s probably not the highest thing on his list of priorities, but I suspect President Daniels would love to raise a national championship trophy in lacrosse.

DocBarrister
Maybe the best post on the subject yet. All of these paranoid conspiracy theories about crashing the program are just nuts. Our girl knew PM, but more importantly, she knew he could handle a winning D-1 program. Now he's getting kids from places Hop never got them before, like Taft and Lawrenceville. Petro was shown a lot of patience from the last championship team. How about giving PM at least half of that time?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Your point about the rise in level of competition is fair but the part I bolded continues to be a huge misnomer. Please point me to the fans who still expect things to be like they used to. They don't exist. Expectations HAVE been adjusted.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm LOL I realize you're having enormous fun with this, but if they actually cared about the program, they would have:

or
This logic doesn't track. If they cared about the program they would have kept the coach who was driving half the fan base nuts? Do you even remember what things were like here during/after the Mount St. Mary's game? To quote Kanye West, it was "death con 3." IF they didn't care one bit they would not have actively made a change. They'd have been complacent, stuck with status quo, and been done with it.

Not to mention, do you actually think Petro would have agreed to stay but fire his assistants? Not in a million years. "Keep Petro but shake up his staff" was not an option.

Baker comes from a lacrosse background. The conspiracy theories are ridiculous. No, she is not Brody (no one is), but she wants the team to do well and we're all still waiting for one SHRED of evidence to the contrary. We've been waiting on that shoe to drop for three years now.

If this staff is good enough for David Cordish, Joe Cowan, Jesse Schwartzman, Kyle Harrison, John Crawley, and many others to support, then it sure as hell should be good enough for "Sagittarius A" as well. Nobody is saying you have to be best friends with the guy but one gets the feeling you are actively rooting for the team to fail. I disagree with jhu06 on 90% of things but I believe he at least wants to see the program do well.

The "can't compete in the Big Ten" narrative is such wishful thinking. Michigan and Penn State stink, Rutgers is tasting the first success in program history thanks to transfers and the jury is very much still out on if that's at all sustainable, Ohio State is up and down but has certainly never looked unbeatable, and, well, Maryland is great, but they've always been great. The league is good — there will be years when Hopkins is toward the bottom, but also years when it's toward the top. The Jays very nearly won the B1G tournament in PM's first year for god's sake.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”