MLL Draft

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

MLL Draft

Post by xxxxxxx »

Curious and uninformed.

Aren’t all these top guys getting drafted tonight going to get drafted by the PLL? Are these guys wasting picks?
bearlaxfan

Re: MLL Draft

Post by bearlaxfan »

Initially it seems the pay and bennies are better in the PLL, so there is that. But it is currently a 'barnstorming show' and the one (only?) thing the MLL has going for it is its traditional city/region league format, which can be attractive, and is familiar. It's the worldwide model for team sports. There's still some big names in the MLL as well. It certainly has issues, but it has survived the short but steep 2001 recession, and the Great Recession of 2007,8,9. PLL may be better financed than LXM was, but it is currently working from the same basic concept.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

MLL folded three teams before the start of the season. I don't think this is a storm they will survive
molo

Post by molo »

I thought Paul's new league would force the end of the MLL. Surprised that just three teams have folded so far.
PeteStreet

Post by PeteStreet »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 pm Initially it seems the pay and bennies are better in the PLL, so there is that. But it is currently a 'barnstorming show' and the one (only?) thing the MLL has going for it is its traditional city/region league format, which can be attractive, and is familiar. It's the worldwide model for team sports. There's still some big names in the MLL as well. It certainly has issues, but it has survived the short but steep 2001 recession, and the Great Recession of 2007,8,9. PLL may be better financed than LXM was, but it is currently working from the same basic concept.
The PLL doesn’t necessarily need to be presenting a sustainable business model at this point, they just need to outlast the MLL. Once/if the MLL folds, then the PLL can have the upper hand in any sort of merger/buyout of the MLL, and/or switch to city-based model.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

If the PLL gets on real TV then that is the fat lady singing for the MLL and the LSN. That was a greedy power play that is imploding.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm MLL folded three teams before the start of the season. I don't think this is a storm they will survive
It may very well be an opportunity to have the same amount of teams (6) as the PLL, this may also provide an opportunity to pay/benefits equally or greater than the PLL.

A merger would seem logical as the next step with a total of 12 teams splitting conferences?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:29 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm MLL folded three teams before the start of the season. I don't think this is a storm they will survive
It may very well be an opportunity to have the same amount of teams (6) as the PLL, this may also provide an opportunity to pay/benefits equally or greater than the PLL.

A merger would seem logical as the next step with a total of 12 teams splitting conferences?
That may be but I still doubt it. It is all about leverage. One league will win one will not. The PLL has more money and star power and a different business model. If the MLL can all of the sudden make a dramatic increase in pay and benefits, why did they not do this sooner? They will have less revenue this season. I think the PLL will inherit the pieces of what is left of the MLL. The players will all be better off in the end as well as the sport.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:29 pm

That may be but I still doubt it. It is all about leverage. One league will win one will not. The PLL has more money and star power and a different business model. If the MLL can all of the sudden make a dramatic increase in pay and benefits, why did they not do this sooner? They will have less revenue this season. I think the PLL will inherit the pieces of what is left of the MLL. The players will all be better off in the end as well as the sport.
That very well may be true, just offering suggestions. Competition breeds competition.

As an aside comment. I personally do not like the PLL model, I understand it and get the why to it, but believe the right thing to have done would have been figuring out a way to make the MLL a richer and more pure product for the players and fans. Build upon it, especially at a time when a new President was being elected for the MLL.

Just seems like ego's got in the way of it all.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

But will PLL game be any better? I have not heard the rules. Will they have a two point arc?
Not a fan of the MLL.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 pm Not a fan of the MLL.
Just curious....why?
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I have been to several live games and watched on tv. I think it is a one sided game in favor of the offense. While you have the most talented defensive player playing they never seem to have a game plan. It is like watching 10 player play independently and not as a team. No team spirit
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

I remember when there were PoCo clubs that were comprised of local guys and, now and then, their buddies from college and prep school who were in town for one reason or another.

When the MLL was founded, I supposed that they were taking this model, adding some money for the players and a travel budget, and putting some roster restrictions on the clubs. Pay for this with a TV contract. Low budget, sure, but sustainable and everyone can drive to the field or the team charter.

Would this sell? I think so.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”