Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by wgdsr »

getting the big red dig in. i'm here for it.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:01 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:42 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:30 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:05 am it's october 12 and we have the first '25 on the board. fwiw, it looks like he can play.
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... Jv7jA&s=19
and here we are.
He is re-class. Could be the UVA is stacking so many higher stars that he going the PG route to try and get playing time.
the push forward has been part of the discussion here.
He isn’t re-classing to look good against younger kids.
Right.
He already has the commitment, apparently.
If there was transparency about age and other attributes, it might well be obvious as to the logic of taking an extra year before college.
Could be he's relatively young, could be he'd benefit from more advanced academic preparation, who knows...it's a different path than doing a red shirt year, which is the more usual option if a coach simply wants to stockpile a player.
He is a legacy and apparently turned down offers from Georgetown, Notre Dame, Cornell and Hop to reclassify and go where he wanted. Good for him........
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:20 pm getting the big red dig in. i'm here for it.
No. Not at all. Had I mentioned Pannell’s late withdrawal and return to Cornell for another year, that would have been a dig.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Crease Crank wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:29 am
BigTom5 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:27 am
Crease Crank wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 am UVA must be giving away some major NIL deals? Any insight from the posters?
Or it’s a destination with a championship pedigree, great coaches, top tier academics, and a fun social scene that allow it to win recruiting battles against schools that offer more money.
No doubt that Charlottesville is exactly what you outlined. BUT the decommits from other historic programs to UVA is interesting. Lots of other schools offer the same type of environment that you detailed. Not enough scholarships to go around in lacrosse so maybe the families are just willing to pay the tuition cost. Not so sure that's the case but could be....
Call me biased, but I wouldn’t say LOTS of other schools have the same type of environment as noted above. Even Duke, who is probably the most comparable program, has a competitive disadvantage with staff uncertainty given their aging head coach and unclear succession plan.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

blue angels wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:26 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:05 am it's october 12 and we have the first '25 on the board. fwiw, it looks like he can play.
and here we are.
He is re-class. Could be the UVA is stacking so many higher stars that he going the PG route to try and get playing time.
Right.
If there was transparency about age and other attributes, it might well be obvious as to the logic of taking an extra year before college.
Could be he's relatively young, could be he'd benefit from more advanced academic preparation, who knows...it's a different path than doing a red shirt year, which is the more usual option if a coach simply wants to stockpile a player.
He is a legacy and apparently turned down offers from Georgetown, Notre Dame, Cornell and Hop to reclassify and go where he wanted. Good for him........
This kid clearly ran into a logjam at UVA with them bringing in the #1 and #4 players who are both attack. Turned down offers as a 2024 to go where he wanted to be, didn't play down to look better
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:07 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 am
Very few lax players will earn any major amounts based on their college fame.
Yes, you and I know that. But most (not all) kids have not developed that mature level of foresight, yet. And many don't know what "real" money is.

NIL deals and a minor equipment endorsement deals are true enticements to hs and college-aged kids. It's also just a piece of the equation and a tipping point for many to make a decision. And every top-tier HS player loves the ego stroke of being told that endorsements or NIL deals are a possibility. Remember, this is a generation that has been raised since birth on clicks and likes. They see lots of people with no skills earning a little bit of money as influencers and online personalities. And you don't have to be the top talent in your field to do it. All you need is one idea or schtick that gets views.

https://www.tiktok.com/@thedripking40?lang=en
True, but I think this is very likely to be small fry dough in our sport (in nearly all cases) and basically undifferentiated among top 10 perennial programs, and not likely different from next 10-20 or so....again, in lax. If you're a star player, your image, time and attention will have some small value...but not much and not hardly at all for anyone else.

But sure, if someone finds a shtick that sets him or her apart, might be some coin to be had...but for nearly all kids, it's mostly going to be avoidance of compliance issues with simple stuff as I outlined.

That'll become pretty clear, fast.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:39 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:26 pm
and here we are.
Right.
This kid clearly ran into a logjam at UVA with them bringing in the #1 and #4 players who are both attack. Turned down offers as a 2024 to go where he wanted to be, didn't play down to look better
Unless it's been reported otherwise, we don't know that UVA said they'd only give him the spot if he re-classed...that might well have been entirely his and his parents call. It does happen, of course, but my hunch is it wasn't in this case...but yeah, he clearly had great options elsewhere.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

and here we are.
Never seen that move ... announced. :oops: Sad what's becoming the "norm."

My guess is the next step is to take a true '24, and let him reclass, then do a PG year, then and Gap year, and he can then be the first 2027 commit.

I'm actually all for it- College players can continue to get older, without ruining youth and hs lax.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:41 pm
and here we are.

My guess is the next step is to take a true '24, and let him reclass, then do a PG year, then and Gap year, and he can then be the first 2027 commit.

I'm actually all for it- College players can continue to get older, without ruining youth and hs lax.
Don’t forget the redshirt year when he gets there.
smoova

Post by smoova »

and here we are.
So, this highly-rated player is currently attending an expensive prep school and has elected to spend an additional year at the same or different expensive prep school in order to maximize his lacrosse opportunities. The greater lacrosse community considers this (and all other play-down machinations) to be a perfectly acceptable way to "game the system."

<cue Jeopardy theme music>

Alex, I'll take "Valid reasons lacrosse will never lose its elitist image" for 200 ...
smoova

Post by smoova »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:41 pm
and here we are.

FWIW, these multi-year hold backs are still playing HS lacrosse (against kids as young as 14) while they plot just the right time to flame out at their chosen DI ivory tower.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Flame outs are a-ok.
Their dads can still say, "My son 'played' D1."
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

smoova wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:00 pm
and here we are.
So, this highly-rated player is currently attending an expensive prep school and has elected to spend an additional year at the same or different expensive prep school in order to maximize his lacrosse opportunities. The greater lacrosse community considers this (and all other play-down machinations) to be a perfectly acceptable way to "game the system."

Alex, I'll take "Valid reasons lacrosse will never lose its elitist image" for 200 ...
yup. there's a logjam. not like he's playing down.

some other guys just get noticed late. there's not room in the class.
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:16 pm Flame outs are a-ok.
Their dads can still say, "My son 'played' D1."
95+% of this is on coaches.
smoova

Post by smoova »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:18 pm
smoova wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:00 pm
and here we are.

yup. there's a logjam. not like he's playing down.

some other guys just get noticed late. there's not room in the class.
In my book, 5 or more years playing high school lacrosse is absolutely playing down. Freshmen are 14 years old every year.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

When these players are seeking their first job in the real world, I wonder what they will tell their prospective employers graduating 3 years after the should have? "I wanted to play lacrosse at my to choice school"??? Most HR people will wonder about that persons' priorities.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

The one point that I think has been overlooked in all this has been the covid year, virtually everyone was given a red shirt and now there is five years worth of players fitting into a four year college career. I think when this finally plays itself out you might see some less PG's although you will still have hold backs and re-classifies.
Typical Lax Dad

jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

The one point that I think has been overlooked in all this has been the covid year, virtually everyone was given a red shirt and now there is five years worth of players fitting into a four year college career. I think when this finally plays itself out you might see some less PG's although you will still have hold backs and re-classifies.
Covid pushed a lot of kids down. I personally know a 2022 that’s now a 2024 and no seat yet.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:57 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

Covid pushed a lot of kids down. I personally know a 2022 that’s now a 2024 and no seat yet.
is that because the '23s pg'd?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:23 pm

Partly. Parents started scrambling with COVID-19. Some hoping to avoid the grad transfer bubble.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:23 pm

Partly. Parents started scrambling with COVID-19. Some hoping to avoid the grad transfer bubble.
maybe instead that aspirations are too high. there are 3 strikes for a reason, can't have one batter up there all day like cricket.

you should tell them that all the freshman 2020 year guys come off the books in 2024. could be a sign.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”