Creasedive

Re: Navy 2023

Post by Creasedive »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:22 pm
Creasedive wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:57 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:35 pm
Creasedive wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:49 am
Abr2016 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:39 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 am Add 4* 2024 attackman Cody Collier, from Calvert Hall, to Navy's commits for that year. Wow, with the recruiting they are doing, I actually would be disappointed if they don't make at least one Final Four in the next five or so years.
[/quote

Navy getting to the FF is a pipe dream. Not going to happen.
LOL-Remember they made the title game in 2004. And they have multiple other Quarterfinal appearances under their belts.
And Michigan is a sleeping giant.
Yes, they sure are. I still believe this. They have so much to offer in recruiting.
Navy’s only hope of an NCAA tournament birth is an AQ. Their out of conference schedule is beyond weak and they lose to MSM. Loyola, Army, BU and Lehigh are superior programs.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Creasedive wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:56 am
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 am Add 4* 2024 attackman Cody Collier, from Calvert Hall, to Navy's commits for that year. Wow, with the recruiting they are doing, I actually would be disappointed if they don't make at least one Final Four in the next five or so years.
[/quote

LOL-Remember they made the title game in 2004. And they have multiple other Quarterfinal appearances under their belts.
Yes, they sure are. I still believe this. They have so much to offer in recruiting.
Navy’s only hope of an NCAA tournament birth is an AQ. Their out of conference schedule is beyond weak and they lose to MSM. Loyola, Army, BU and Lehigh are superior programs.
For the record, their (and all PL teams) OOC schedule is going to always be challenging, b/c there are 9 teams in the PL, with locked in bye weeks...further limiting who is available, the the ACC tournament late in the year.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 am
[/quote

For the record, their (and all PL teams) OOC schedule is going to always be challenging, b/c there are 9 teams in the PL, with locked in bye weeks...further limiting who is available, the the ACC tournament late in the year.
Loyola played Duke, Rutgers, Maryland, Hopkins and Georgetown 🤷🏻‍♂️
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Creasedive wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:32 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 am
[/quote

Loyola played Duke, Rutgers, Maryland, Hopkins and Georgetown 🤷🏻‍♂️
Navy did get an at-large bid to the 2016 NCAA Tournament. Yes, they lost to MSM. But that was then, and 2023 and beyond is the future. At least last season, multiple Patriot League teams were better. But let's see what happens in 2023.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

I find it interesting that we talk about 4-Star, 5-Star Recruits. Interesting fact that most of these “Lacrosse Evaluators” have never played the game, but basically watch a few highlights tapes attend fall/summer tournament and speak to a few anonymous College Coaches to come up with the STARS. I think the process should include each players GPA, SAT Scores, comments from HS & Club Coach (Each Club(Multiple) they play for) , Age and how many times the player has reclassified. Just my two cents!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Terry Foy's way early Top 20 just came out. Navy isn't even mentioned among teams on the outside. Let's hope Navy proves people wrong in 2023!
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Word from the yard is that Coach Amplo has cut (7-9) recruited players (Direct and NAPS) from this years team. 1st-3rd Class, No Plebes.
Interesting development
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:52 am Word from the yard is that Coach Amplo has cut (7-9) recruited players (Direct and NAPS) from this years team. 1st-3rd Class, No Plebes.
Interesting development
Not surprising.....it's a packed house. The current 3rd class had 21 recruits, 1st class has far fewer (12), of which I see roughly 1-2, unless he is dropping the hammer.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:57 am
TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:52 am Word from the yard is that Coach Amplo has cut (7-9) recruited players (Direct and NAPS) from this years team. 1st-3rd Class, No Plebes.
Interesting development
Not surprising.....it's a packed house. The current 3rd class had 21 recruits, 1st class has far fewer (12), of which I see roughly 1-2, unless he is dropping the hammer.
Kind of bummer for the kids that got cut. That would certainly make me think twice about going to Navy or any school that is cutting recruited players.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Interesting development
Yeesh. That's a tough one. What's the explanation for the gargantuan 3d class -- was it a relic of COVID in some way? With that said, if it's true, wishing the very best for the former players -- hopefully they've found other passions that will keep them on the Yard (including a desire to commission) but best of luck to any who might enter the transfer portal to try to continue their NCAA lax careers (edited to add that I understand the "two for seven" commitment process so I get that probably only 3d class players might consider transferring).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:01 pm
Interesting development
Yeesh. That's a tough one. What's the explanation for the gargantuan 3d class -- was it a relic of COVID in some way? With that said, if it's true, wishing the very best for the former players -- hopefully they've found other passions that will keep them on the Yard (including a desire to commission) but best of luck to any who might enter the transfer portal to try to continue their NCAA lax careers (edited to add that I understand the "two for seven" commitment process so I get that probably only 3d class players might consider transferring).
Having spoken with many lacrosse guys at Navy, the vast majority do not go through the arduous task of applying, for the primary reason to play lacrosse....that's the good news. Sure, lacrosse dangles the carrot, but at the end of the day they are simply built just a bit different. When they practice for the first time, they know full well this is going to be a grind and I am a small fish in a big pond....not any different than most schools. It's what we always preach to young athletes....never choose a school just for lacrosse or the coach b/c things with change in life. The Yard changes you, rather quickly.

No, I am not defending cutting players, what I am attempting to say, is of the players I have spoken with that have left the team it is a personal decision; that the juice is no longer worth the squeeze. Coaches have their favorites, write you off, want quiet quitting to avoid cuts. It is a tough decision for everyone. The great thing is that Navy has a very competitive Club program in the NCLL, and many simply walk over to the other field.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

I'd have to compare numbers, but I'm not sure this year is all that different from past years.
Give this staff credit -- they didn't cut freshmen recruits, which guarantees everyone a chance to be fairly evaluated.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:01 pm I'd have to compare numbers, but I'm not sure this year is all that different from past years.
Give this staff credit -- they didn't cut freshmen recruits, which guarantees everyone a chance to be fairly evaluated.
I was wondering if perhaps Navy transitioned in 2021-2022 to a few more direct entries (from the HS class of '21) than in the past (a smart move imo) and the HS '21 "more direct entries" arrived on campus at the same time as a traditionally large group from NAPS from the HS class of '20 such that the current Navy third class was a particularly big group? Or maybe more guys stuck with the team because the experience felt even more valuable post-COVID remembering the cabin fever days of 2020 - 2021. Or maybe both things happened, resulting in a such a big roster that the normal "juice isn't worth the squeeze" attrition couldn't trim it down to the size they wanted.

I'm not asking for an answer, just musing out loud because when a program I follow does something (cuts) that it hasn't done recently I'm interested in what changed.

I agree that not cutting freshmen so that everyone on the roster has gotten a serious look/chance is a better way to do it. And it's a good thing that Navy's club lax program can provide a home for those not ready to hang up the stick.
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:28 am
The Orfling wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:01 pm
Interesting development
Having spoken with many lacrosse guys at Navy, the vast majority do not go through the arduous task of applying, for the primary reason to play lacrosse....that's the good news. Sure, lacrosse dangles the carrot, but at the end of the day they are simply built just a bit different. When they practice for the first time, they know full well this is going to be a grind and I am a small fish in a big pond....not any different than most schools. It's what we always preach to young athletes....never choose a school just for lacrosse or the coach b/c things with change in life. The Yard changes you, rather quickly.

No, I am not defending cutting players, what I am attempting to say, is of the players I have spoken with that have left the team it is a personal decision; that the juice is no longer worth the squeeze. Coaches have their favorites, write you off, want quiet quitting to avoid cuts. It is a tough decision for everyone. The great thing is that Navy has a very competitive Club program in the NCLL, and many simply walk over to the other field.
I call BS on vast majority don't go to SA for lacrosse first.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

I think one reason for this was because Amplo kept every single one of Sowell’s recruits and at least honored their commitment and supported their admission into the Academy.

Not sure if that was right or wrong, but could at least attribute to the inflated roster.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

lorin wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:39 am I call BS on vast majority don't go to SA for lacrosse first.
And I am not buying your comment either.

If they have the lacrosse ability and admissions package to get into a SA, they could go to many, many other schools for "lacrosse first". If lax is your number one priority, it makes not sense to go to a SA. Multi-year commitment, challenging life style, etc. etc. all argue against your claim.

Further, if just somehow someone made it to I Day with lax as their number one reason for being there, by the time they made it back to their room from T-Court that thought is gone from their mind.

I don't think anyone, if they ever did, goes to a SA for lax as the #1 reason and they certainly do not stay there for that reason either.

That all being said, it is never just one reason. Yes lax plays a part but so does "free" education, the challenge, service, etc. .
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Abr2016 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:23 pm I think one reason for this was because Amplo kept every single one of Sowell’s recruits and at least honored their commitment and supported their admission into the Academy.

Not sure if that was right or wrong, but could at least attribute to the inflated roster.
I beg to differ I know of one for sure he cut as a Senior and another he told not to bother coming back for Junior year. This happens with most new coaching staffs, but let's not act like Amplo was committed to Sowell's guys, he wasn't.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:30 pm
lorin wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:39 am I call BS on vast majority don't go to SA for lacrosse first.

If they have the lacrosse ability and admissions package to get into a SA, they could go to many, many other schools for "lacrosse first". If lax is your number one priority, it makes not sense to go to a SA. Multi-year commitment, challenging life style, etc. etc. all argue against your claim.

Further, if just somehow someone made it to I Day with lax as their number one reason for being there, by the time they made it back to their room from T-Court that thought is gone from their mind.

I don't think anyone, if they ever did, goes to a SA for lax as the #1 reason and they certainly do not stay there for that reason either.

That all being said, it is never just one reason. Yes lax plays a part but so does "free" education, the challenge, service, etc. .
That certainly sounds right to me.

Of course, a few find that the various trade-offs, pluses and minuses, aren't what they'd hoped and transfer out, but most were certainly looking for a different experience than the more typical college time.

If I understand correctly, however, playing a sport can be a significant plus, especially in early years, versus the 'normal' SA experience. All sorts of benefits. More so, perhaps than the more typical college student versus student-athlete experience tradeoffs, especially at schools with no special accommodations for athletes relative to other students.

I know a young man who played squash at Navy, captain as a senior, (cruise missile division now) who, at least according to his dad, had a much, much more enjoyable experience than typical...lots of travel, a lot less drill, better chow. That sound right?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dutch are on this year’s schedule,

Pride’s 2023 Schedule

Date Home Away Notes

2/11 Hofstra Navy
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:32 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:30 pm

That certainly sounds right to me.

Of course, a few find that the various trade-offs, pluses and minuses, aren't what they'd hoped and transfer out, but most were certainly looking for a different experience than the more typical college time.

If I understand correctly, however, playing a sport can be a significant plus, especially in early years, versus the 'normal' SA experience. All sorts of benefits. More so, perhaps than the more typical college student versus student-athlete experience tradeoffs, especially at schools with no special accommodations for athletes relative to other students.

I know a young man who played squash at Navy, captain as a senior, (cruise missile division now) who, at least according to his dad, had a much, much more enjoyable experience than typical...lots of travel, a lot less drill, better chow. That sound right?
Yes, but….

Yes you get training tables, usually when in season but for some sports, looking at you football, that is mostly year around. Of course you get to travel to away games and you may or may not march as much (winter sport athletes usually get the full marching experience).

However, time is your most valuable commodity and varsity sports are time bandits. Lifting, watching tape, 2 a days, rehab all take up time and your grades will reflect it normally. This is not unique to a SA but SA’s have other requirements that also take up time too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”