Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigTom5

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by BigTom5 »

Crease Crank wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 am UVA must be giving away some major NIL deals? Any insight from the posters?
Or it’s a destination with a championship pedigree, great coaches, top tier academics, and a fun social scene that allow it to win recruiting battles against schools that offer more money.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:01 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:42 am
AreaLax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:30 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:05 am it's october 12 and we have the first '25 on the board. fwiw, it looks like he can play.
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... Jv7jA&s=19
and here we are.
He is re-class. Could be the UVA is stacking so many higher stars that he going the PG route to try and get playing time.
the push forward has been part of the discussion here.
He isn’t re-classing to look good against younger kids.
my take is that any and all of what you see is a product of the system. and this is what the system wants.

any part of it (including re-classing to look good against younger kids) is one of those products.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:05 am it's october 12 and we have the first '25 on the board. fwiw, it looks like he can play.
and here we are.
He is re-class. Could be the UVA is stacking so many higher stars that he going the PG route to try and get playing time.
Right.
He already has the commitment, apparently.
If there was transparency about age and other attributes, it might well be obvious as to the logic of taking an extra year before college.
Could be he's relatively young, could be he'd benefit from more advanced academic preparation, who knows...it's a different path than doing a red shirt year, which is the more usual option if a coach simply wants to stockpile a player.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BigTom5 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:27 am
Crease Crank wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 am UVA must be giving away some major NIL deals? Any insight from the posters?
Or it’s a destination with a championship pedigree, great coaches, top tier academics, and a fun social scene that allow it to win recruiting battles against schools that offer more money.
Correct! :D
NIL deals... :roll:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if they are, they're doing a pretty poor job of it. money raise emphasis has been for the master plan for years up until present day, and supposedly the new facilities are coming "soon" for olympic sports.

the hoops and gridiron guys make their loops shilling for local burger or other outlets. not exactly aTm there and will likely continue to fall further behind on nil.

you might notice where all the lax guys are coming from, it isn't detroit or kentucky.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

nms wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:33 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:30 pm What does USL do?

They say:

USL “Provides national leadership, structure and resources” to the game.

Specifics like?

So far all I can tell is:

Resells umbrella insurance to clubs.
Foots the bill for Team USA.

Anything else?
Does it discriminate against women like US Soccer?
I would hope not.
Their messaging is very inclusive. Almost nauseatingly so.
But words aren't always indicative of actions.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:40 am
if they are, they're doing a pretty poor job of it. money raise emphasis has been for the master plan for years up until present day, and supposedly the new facilities are coming "soon" for olympic sports.

the hoops and gridiron guys make their loops shilling for local burger or other outlets. not exactly aTm there and will likely continue to fall further behind on nil.

you might notice where all the lax guys are coming from, it isn't detroit or kentucky.
With very, very few exceptions, the most material impact of NIL for lax players will be not getting caught up in regulating them doing camps, personal lax instruction and the like.

Previously, compliance officials at most well-run athletic departments paid attention to whether a player's image or affiliation with their school has been used in any way for marketing purposes, and if any such occurred, they had to report it to the NCAA immediately...the player then was held in suspense as the NCAA decided whether there had been a violation.

My son paid close attention to the rules for any camps he did, and when he worked a couple of summers for a start-up sports hydration company founded by a Princeton lax alum, he was careful not to wear any of his college swag at any of the events he did for them at lax tourneys...unrelated to his involvement, his college team began to use the product, successfully. And after going back to school and off the payroll, he wrote an email to the AD describing his experience and the team's experience with the product (no sugar, all-natural rapid hydration; product used by many lax and wrestling teams instead of Gatorade etc), asking for permission to contact other coaches at his school about it (no compensation involved, just wanted to help both school teams and company)...merely writing that email landed him in compliance hell for nearly two months, reported to NCAA, couldn't practice with team (fortunately a big chunk of that time was over X-Mas holidays)...eventually determined no violation, but ridiculous.

That sort of issue goes away under the new rules.

Very few lax players will earn any major amounts based on their college fame.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:33 am
and here we are.
my take is that any and all of what you see is a product of GAMING the system. and this is what the system wants.

any part of it (including re-classing to look good against younger kids) is one of those products.
I fixed it and I agree.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:20 am
and here we are.
my take is that any and all of what you see is a product of GAMING the system. and this is what the system wants.

I fixed it and I agree.
p'ton *seems* to have most guys on age or close from when they arrived. they post exact d.o.b. which seems a bit odd to do in this digital age (although a lot of folks do that on their own).

so for now, you can keep cheering for the *underdog*.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:45 am
and here we are.

I fixed it and I agree.
p'ton *seems* to have most guys on age or close from when they arrived. they post exact d.o.b. which seems a bit odd to do in this digital age (although a lot of folks do that on their own).

All I know playing down doesn’t mean you are better. It just means you are older. I would like to know how many Tewy winners were double hold backs. I wonder why Schellenberger didn’t reclass before arriving at UVA? He probably would have gotten more looks…
Crease Crank

Post by Crease Crank »

No doubt that Charlottesville is exactly what you outlined. BUT the decommits from other historic programs to UVA is interesting. Lots of other schools offer the same type of environment that you detailed. Not enough scholarships to go around in lacrosse so maybe the families are just willing to pay the tuition cost. Not so sure that's the case but could be....
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Being older brings some benefits.

In cognitive science and neuropsychology, executive functions are cognitive processes necessary for the cognitive control of behavior: selecting and successfully monitoring behaviors that facilitate the attainment of goals. Higher-order executive functions require the simultaneous use of multiple basic executive functions. They are slow to develop and evolve, the average age of maturity for it is about 25 working from memory. So on average a 22-24 to old is going to have a better developed executive function than a younger player. Covid has created a situation where the delta between older and younger teams is greater. I believe the odds favor an older team winning the title.

What is the difference cost between what a private school like Duke can offer and a state school like UVA can offer

Back to our regular programming
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Crease Crank wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:29 am
No doubt that Charlottesville is exactly what you outlined. BUT the decommits from other historic programs to UVA is interesting. Lots of other schools offer the same type of environment that you detailed. Not enough scholarships to go around in lacrosse so maybe the families are just willing to pay the tuition cost. Not so sure that's the case but could be....
so you're saying you don't know instead of must be a little while ago?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:43 am
Everyone is putting together NIL. UVA is factually assembling strong NIL deals… as are many other schools.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:51 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:43 am
Everyone is putting together NIL. UVA is factually assembling strong NIL deals… as are many other schools.
ok, then! so it's everyone.
what are the uva deals?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:55 am
and here we are.

I fixed it and I agree.

All I know playing down doesn’t mean you are better. It just means you are older. I would like to know how many Tewy winners were double hold backs. I wonder why Schellenberger didn’t reclass before arriving at UVA? He probably would have gotten more looks…
there aren't 40 tewy winners per team? you might be debating yourself here?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:59 am
and here we are.

I fixed it and I agree.

I know there aren’t. I was just wondering not debating. Pannell would be one example.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:05 am
Very few lax players will earn any major amounts based on their college fame.
Yes, you and I know that. But most (not all) kids have not developed that mature level of foresight, yet. And many don't know what "real" money is.

NIL deals and a minor equipment endorsement deals are true enticements to hs and college-aged kids. It's also just a piece of the equation and a tipping point for many to make a decision. And every top-tier HS player loves the ego stroke of being told that endorsements or NIL deals are a possibility. Remember, this is a generation that has been raised since birth on clicks and likes. They see lots of people with no skills earning a little bit of money as influencers and online personalities. And you don't have to be the top talent in your field to do it. All you need is one idea or schtick that gets views.

https://www.tiktok.com/@thedripking40?lang=en
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:02 pm
and here we are.

I fixed it and I agree.

I know there aren’t. I was just wondering not debating. Pannell would be one example.
pannell was young as a senior. most island guys are.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:02 pm
and here we are.

I fixed it and I agree.

pannell was young as a senior. most island guys are.
You are correct about Long Island. Good players on the Island. I wonder why we don’t see more reclassifying? They would be even better….. “Young” is relative these days. Pannell had an interesting trip on his way to Cornell. Different time though.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”