All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DocBarrister

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by DocBarrister »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:20 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 am Rooting for Russia. :roll:
We don't need Russia as an enemy again, especially right now.
We need to butt out, stop fomenting revolutions, regime changes & proxy wars in the former USSR.
China is the threat we should be focused on.
Let EUrope take the lead in dealing with their neighbor & picking up the tab.
Russia has chosen to make the United States its enemy.

And Europe has already been taking the lead in “picking up the tab” for Russia’s war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Tiny Moldova has taken in about a half-million Ukrainian refugees. Germany and Poland have taken in over a million each. That’s a massive number of war refugees to handle.

Russia is not a “neighbor” of Europe. It is a criminal, murderous enterprise headed by a war criminal and child killer who bombs playgrounds and hospitals.

Your repeated pleas to appease Russia are an embarrassment.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 am
We need to butt out, stop fomenting revolutions, regime changes & proxy wars in the former USSR.
Let EUrope take the lead in dealing with their neighbor. & picking up the tab.
Got it.
Focus on the yellow communists, not the white christian nationalists.
Focus on the real threat.
walk and chew gum.
Putin's Russia is committing war crimes in real time...our response to that is sending a powerful message to China as well.
Absolutely correct.

Not only is China observing the high effectiveness of U.S. and Western weapons systems, it is receiving a singular lesson in U.S. and European resolve.

Appeasement of Russia, as advocated by some, would only encourage China’s imperialist ambitions over Taiwan and the South China Sea.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:27 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:50 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:19 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm ...& whoever thought it would get this far ? You do realize that those 4 partially conquered oblasts are now considered by the entire Russian government' & the Russian people, to be part of Russia again, like Crimea. It might be in violation of international law & upend the international order --- ok, what are we gonna do about it ? Do you wanna play the escalation game to wrest that territory back from Russia ? How far are you willing to go ?
You keep misrepresenting my position, as well as your own. You're basically complaining because we have a Dem POTUS, and like FoxNation, you're looking for something to whine about (Dems are bad), without bothering to give a DETAILED solution.

"Negotiate" isn't a detailed solution. You have to tell us EXACTLY what Biden (since you plainly want to blame him), Zelensky, and Putin need to do.

If you can't give a detailed solution? You're complaining just to complain.
old salt wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:06 pm Excuse me, but you've been telling me for how many years now that Putin would not & could not do the things he has done already.
As usual, you don't pay any attention at all to what others write. Or what YOU write, while we're at it.

What I said was, to summarize:

1. Russia' GDP is a joke, and Putin can't afford to do what he's trying to do. You and other military pundits still think it's 1980, when it was the Soviet GDP that we were talking about.

2. War and elite armaments are expensive. So expensive, that it was MONEY that broke the Soviet's back. Russian GDP is where it was 20 years ago. Putin SUCKS at management, and Russia is a 2nd rate nation as a result. How big is Russia? How big is Japan? And yet? Japan is KILLING the GDP of Russia. Why? Sh*t management from guys like Putin who would rather rob his fellow Russians blind than work smartly to raise the tide, so that both he and the average Russian can get richer. Stupid.

3. I used the metaphor: "why doesn't the US invade Canada?" to illustrate that in 2022, you can't invade a sovereign nation without serious economic consequences. How's the economy doing in Russia these days, OS? Not that you care, or bother looking, because you're too busy throwing rocks at the US and the EU.

4. I mocked the bases in Syria. Now how is it that I'm smart enough to know that Russian submarines are utterly pointless in 2022, but the guy who had top notch military training didn't get my point? How's that Syrian sub base workin' out for Putin, OS? Or his airbases in Syria? :roll: Boy, he sure was playing chess when he blew a few billion for those pointless 1980's relics. Bet he wishes he spent that money on training his freaking officers better. Whoops.

5. I also told you that Ukraine's economy was a car crash, and all Putin was doing was annexing the worst economy in Europe, and adding to his economic problems. It be as as smart as the Governor of California annexing Mississippi.....now the Cali gov has a bunch of mouths to feed from his GDP in CA. And of course, all of this is worse because the lands he's trying to annex are piles of rubble in many places. Where the F do you think he's gonna get the money to fix that, OS?

So guess what? I've been right this entire time. I called it, soup to nuts. Putin isn't playing chess, and what's REALLY happening here is that you and FoxNation have egg on your face from years of making Putin seem like a brilliant chess master.........when it turns out that nope, he's a pointless bully from another era who doesn't know how to help the Russian people in the 21st century.

So what did he do? He pulled a temper tantrum.

In short: I NEVER said he wouldn't do this. What I said was: he'd be an idiot to invade. And I was 10000% right.
Pretty good summary and it didn’t cost me a penny.
“You don't need a penny just to hang around
But if you've got a nickel, won't you lay your money down?
Over on the corner there's a happy noise
People come from all around to watch the magic boy.” —CCR
No fortunate son?
Nah, he’s a “magic boy.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 pm Tell us more about how badly things worked out for Russia in Syria.
Who's in power in Syria ?
Who's in charge of Syria? :lol: You mean: who's in charge of a pile of rubble? Wow, what a 'victory" for Putin. I understand when Putin visits, Erdogan gives him lunch at half off, is that true?

Bet I can think of a few Generals and conscripted Russian soldiers who'd rather have those military assets in Ukraine than (snicker) Syria, where they are guarding.....um....why are they there, again?

BTW, since you're obviously too far gone to understand it...when US Troops hit ISIS targets in Syria? They're doing Erdogan's job for him, making his rule more stable. But i'm sure you have a spin on that, too.
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 pm The naval base in Syria allows Russia to maintain warships from their Northern & Pacific Fleets in the Med & Suez, without having them bottled up in the Black Sea.
So Putin is fighting for his life, and is so short on arms and men that he had to institute a draft....but you're STILL here, trying to sell me on just how awesome it is that Putin can have pointless submarines and warships floating around in oceans a few thousand miles way from home, doing absolutely nothing while Rome (Moscow) figuratively burns.

Either you are the worst military tactician the world has ever seen, or you're too freaking stubborn to just say "yeah, you were were right about Putin's pointless adventurism, and it might cost him his life if he's not careful in the next year". And we both know it ain't the former at work here.

Hey, on the bright side I heard that Russia's pointless and useless submarines are going to take TWO laps past the international dateline this year, instead of just one. Boy! Putin's REALLY doing a great job with his military, isn't he? I heard he's going to spend a few trillion this year to buy a jet ski for every Russian conscript, just to make certain the rest of his armies are pointless, too.

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:40 pm Who owns Ukraine's economy now ? Who's picking up the tab ?
Who will fund their Marshall Plan & fund equipping their military to NATO acceptance standards ?
US GDP: $21 Trillion. Russia GDP: $1.5 trillion.

So Russia is flush with cash in OS's world is it?

But the US is broke, and can't afford to do things like invade Iraq. Twice. Or park tens of thousands of troops in Afghanistan. But the calculator that you plainly got out of a cereal box is telling you that the US can't possibly afford to give money and arms to Ukraine.

That's your math on the subject, is it? :roll:

Look, I'd be just fine had Biden not give them a dime. But I'm not going to come on here, and pretend like 1+1= 11 like you are, all because your ego can't handle the fact that you, VDH, and the American right wing spent a decade being wrong about Putin.
Last edited by a fan on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:27 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:25 am
Let EUrope take the lead in dealing with their neighbor & picking up the tab.
Got it.
Focus on the yellow communists, not the white christian nationalists.
Focus on the real threat.
Biden is doing that, if you believe in the pivot to Asia. This, according to you, is Asia.

What do you think Xi is thinking just now it terms of his entirely, soup to nuts UNTESTED armies after watching Putin's men fall completely apart in a matter of months?

You're intentionally glass-half-emptying this entire conflict. And everyone here knows that both you and FoxNation would be calling Biden "soft", and telling us that Putin was playing chess to Biden's checkers if Biden had sat by and done nothing.
a fan

Post by a fan »

This illustrates how freaking stupid Putin is.

Let's see if our forum's military wonks can figure this out: if Ukraine remains neutral, what is the first thing they'll do, given a little time? Sounds like an oxymoron, but.....

Hint: it won't solve Putin's issue with having Ukraine as a member of NATO.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

FWIW, don't forget Musky is digging for that last kernel of corn hidden in Xi's crack.

"Billionaire Elon Musk, days after floating a possible deal to end the war between Russia and Ukraine that drew condemnation in Ukraine, suggested that tensions between China and Taiwan could be resolved by handing over some control of Taiwan to Beijing.

"My recommendation . . .  would be to figure out a special administrative zone for Taiwan that is reasonably palatable, probably won't make everyone happy," the world's richest person, told the Financial Times in an interview published on Friday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 022-10-08/

"Reasonably palatable"? This from an anal spelunker extraordinaire? Guess he'll do anything for Xi (and the Chinese EV market) now that his financial position is a little precarious given his Twitter debacle. What a cnnt.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:33 pm
FWIW, don't forget Musky is digging for that last kernel of corn hidden in Xi's crack.

"Billionaire Elon Musk, days after floating a possible deal to end the war between Russia and Ukraine that drew condemnation in Ukraine, suggested that tensions between China and Taiwan could be resolved by handing over some control of Taiwan to Beijing.

"My recommendation . . .  would be to figure out a special administrative zone for Taiwan that is reasonably palatable, probably won't make everyone happy," the world's richest person, told the Financial Times in an interview published on Friday."

"Reasonably palatable"? This from an anal spelunker extraordinaire? Guess he'll do anything for Xi (and the Chinese EV market) now that his financial position is a little precarious given his Twitter debacle. What a cnnt.
Well, it worked out fantastically for Hong Kong right. Why not try it?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 pm

As long as we get all the chip fab engineers, a la Von Braun and his team...

They can keep the chip fabs; not much good without operators and spare parts. Of course, a little spiking of the cannons can't be unexpected.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 pm

I don't recall anyone voting for Musk to conduct foreign policy? Which election did he run for President?
Another moron effing things up being an effing global busybody

So Putin told him he'd agree to a plan that gives him all of the territory he's attempting to take plus Crimea and some wacko arrangement for Ukraine to be "neutral" and sort of unilaterally disarm? Sure thing. :oops:

Who the F runs his companies so he can "freelance" on conducting foreign policy?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

'We can exterminate all of you': Pro-Russian activist issues warning to Ukrainians

A pro-Russian activist who proclaimed himself the people's governor of the Donetsk region has said his forces will kill "as many" Ukrainians as they have to.

Footage shared by columnist at the Daily Beast, Julia Davis, shows Pavel Gubarev share his thoughts on the people of Ukraine.

During the clip, he says: "We are coming to convince them, not to kill them.

"But if you don't want us to change your minds then we will kill you. We will kill as many as we have to.
"We will kill one million or five million. We can exterminate all of you until you understand you're possessed and you have to be cured."

The pro-Russian governor goes on to call President Volodymyr Zelenskyy "devil's spawn" and "Hitler 2.0".
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:01 pm 'We can exterminate all of you': Pro-Russian activist issues warning to Ukrainians

A pro-Russian activist who proclaimed himself the people's governor of the Donetsk region has said his forces will kill "as many" Ukrainians as they have to.

Footage shared by columnist at the Daily Beast, Julia Davis, shows Pavel Gubarev share his thoughts on the people of Ukraine.

"But if you don't want us to change your minds then we will kill you. We will kill as many as we have to.
"We will kill one million or five million. We can exterminate all of you until you understand you're possessed and you have to be cured."

The pro-Russian governor goes on to call President Volodymyr Zelenskyy "devil's spawn" and "Hitler 2.0".
I’m getting the feeling that the Ukrainians might feel the same way about him. This little dustup is going to make the US Civil War look like a school yard fight.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:01 pm 'We can exterminate all of you': Pro-Russian activist issues warning to Ukrainians

I’m getting the feeling that the Ukrainians might feel the same way about him. This little dustup is going to make the US Civil War look like a school yard fight.
620,000 dead is a lot....sure hope not.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:02 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:11 pm

620,000 dead is a lot....sure hope not.
30k - 180k+ already dead in 6 months depending on who you want to believe. And that's whether they're accurate even if they're trying to be honest. Tons missing as well.

And yes indeed, hope we don't get any higher.
old salt

Post by old salt »

So let's wade right in the middle of that & straighten it out. We have such a good record in that regard.
Fortunately the Serbs didn't have nucs or cruise missiles.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:34 pm

So let's wade right in the middle of that & straighten it out. We have such a good record in that regard.
Fortunately the Serbs didn't have nucs or cruise missiles.
Neither did Grenada!
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:33 am And Europe has already been taking the lead in “picking up the tab” for Russia’s war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Not in providing weapons & the funds to keep the govt of Ukraine operating.

There is still little coordination between NATO members in supplying Ukraine & backfilling own stockpiles.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-10-11/
Beggar thy neighbor weapons procurement. EUroburghers just starting to dialogue with NATO Secretariat.
Only 1 of the hearalded German IRIS-T SAM systems will be delivered in the near term. Too little, too late.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/u ... ng-in-days
https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/stat ... ng-in-days

The costs of hosting the refugees is considerable & is likely to increase as winter comes, especially if Russia"s new Syrian experienced General continues air strikes on Ukrainian population centers.

...no end in sight.
DocBarrister

Russia’s Demise

Post by DocBarrister »

Through Ukrainian eyes, this terrible conflict has become a clash of civilizations. They argue that most Russians support Putin’s brutal war in the way that most Germans supported Adolf Hitler. Unless Russia as a nation abandons the imperial dreams that Putin has evoked, the conflict cannot be resolved through negotiations.

“Russia has to go through the same process that Germany did after World War II,” presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak insisted Saturday in an interview with me and the other members of a group organized by the German Marshall Fund, of which I’m a trustee. “If Russian society doesn’t understand what they’ve done, the world will be brought into chaos.” He enthusiastically predicts that postwar Russia will dissolve into five or six smaller nations.

… So how will this clash of civilizations end? In the West, people try to imagine a negotiated peace. Putin might withdraw to the preinvasion lines. … Or mediators might devise a formula to defer final resolution of the status of the occupied territories. … Or the Russian army might rebel against the Kremlin’s dictates. ... Or Putin might be replaced by a successor who is unable or unwilling to continue the war.

Ukrainians I met in Kyiv unanimously rejected any such interim settlement. They want Ukraine to win back all of its territory, and Russia to lose decisively. The war will end, said Oleksiy Danilov, the secretary of the national security and defense council, “when the Russians understand that they have zero chance of victory.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... in-russia/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:27 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:33 am And Europe has already been taking the lead in “picking up the tab” for Russia’s war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Not in providing weapons & the funds to keep the govt of Ukraine operating.

There is still little coordination between NATO members in supplying Ukraine & backfilling own stockpiles.
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-10-11/
Beggar thy neighbor weapons procurement. EUroburghers just starting to dialogue with NATO Secretariat.
Only 1 of the hearalded German IRIS-T SAM systems will be delivered in the near term. Too little, too late.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/u ... ng-in-days
https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/stat ... ng-in-days

The costs of hosting the refugees is considerable & is likely to increase as winter comes, especially if Russia"s new Syrian experienced General continues air strikes on Ukrainian population centers.

...no end in sight.
Not sure why you have constantly denigrated our allies in Europe. Poland and the Baltic states have made remarkable contributions in their efforts to help Ukraine.

Not only has Poland assisted more than one million refugees, Poland has spent nearly two billion on the effort to help those refugees.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/po ... 022-03-07/

That’s on top of the billions Poland has spent on military aid to Ukraine (including hundreds of Soviet era tanks, which are particularly valuable to Ukraine).

https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/06/15/ ... -the-gaps/

The list of equipment provided by Europe is impressive:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ainian_War

Maybe it’s time for you to stop insulting them as “EUroburghers” and to recognize the remarkable effort that Europe and nations around the world have put in towards the defeat of Russia. Remember, the vast majority of these nations have economies and populations smaller than California’s.

If China is learning anything from this war, it’s that small nations, under the leadership of the United States, can take down an imperialist power like Russia.

Indeed … that is why this war must reach a definitive conclusion, the defeat of Russia … it must be made clear to nations like China and Russia that the age of imperialism is over.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”