Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:19 pm Get out - was he the best player in camp? Still sad what happened to him. Btw that wasn’t Morgan Wooten’s camp, was it? Went to it in middle school.

Holmgren comp to Victor is a good one. To my eyes Victor is a little thicker already, and… 4” taller! Crazyness. I’ve heard Durant comps too… Durant, but 5” taller. Nuts.
At best, Lenny may have been the 3rd best player at camp. It wasn’t Wooten’s camp. I did see Lefty drive into camp in a long black limousine to watch the All-Star game. Those were great times.

Victor is already thicker than Chet. Frame is reminiscent of a young Anthony Davis or Lew Alcindor! I also believe if Ralph Sampson were coming up today, he would be similar to Victor.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
smoova

Post by smoova »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:30 amWe have ‘24 5 Star lacrosse players that should be class of ‘22.
"If you're a good 2022, you'd be a better 2023 and you'd be a GREAT 2024!"
- Jamie Munro (world's biggest fan of playing down)
Typical Lax Dad

smoova wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:30 amWe have ‘24 5 Star lacrosse players that should be class of ‘22.
Yep. There is money in it. How did it work out for Junior Munro?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Amazing insight from another former coach and "lacrosse consultant."

That thinking is a large part of the reason lacrosse has remained a niche sport and mostly stagnant the past few years.

It's all based on cronyism and small/regional thinking. And much of the lax community wants it that way, to keep the masses away from participating.

The old guys really like their kids being a big fish in a relatively small pond of athleticism. The stuff today's "top" kids are learning are just the things we did in college 15-20 years ago, pushed to a younger and younger crowd, and broken down into smaller chunks.

So many of the guys running club teams/training programs/lacrosse programs ONLY know lacrosse. And lacrosse people. So the same names and the same ideas just swirl and circulate endlessly. There are there are no new ideas, no new ways of thinking, no new ways of organizing, and no ensuring of competitive balance or growing/promoting the sport. If that happened, most of the kids on these lists wouldn't sniff the top 100 or * * * ratings. Want to be better? Just train more! Play against physically smaller/weaker kids! Duh!

And it's sadder still, that US Lacrosse is fine with that continuing to happen.

It's a shame.

I'm actually curious when it comes to US Lacrosse, how they are able to continue to provide insurance for youth programs and kids who may be playing with kids 2 years older.
molo

Post by molo »

I don’t always agree with him, but Kram nailed it that time.
molo

Post by molo »

I don’t always agree with him, but Kram nailed it that time.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm
Amazing insight from another former coach and "lacrosse consultant."

That thinking is a large part of the reason lacrosse has remained a niche sport and mostly stagnant the past few years.

It's all based on cronyism and small/regional thinking. And much of the lax community wants it that way, to keep the masses away from participating.

The old guys really like their kids being a big fish in a relatively small pond of athleticism. The stuff today's "top" kids are learning are just the things we did in college 15-20 years ago, pushed to a younger and younger crowd, and broken down into smaller chunks.

So many of the guys running club teams/training programs/lacrosse programs ONLY know lacrosse. And lacrosse people. So the same names and the same ideas just swirl and circulate endlessly. There are there are no new ideas, no new ways of thinking, no new ways of organizing, and no ensuring of competitive balance or growing/promoting the sport. If that happened, most of the kids on these lists wouldn't sniff the top 100 or * * * ratings. Want to be better? Just train more! Play against physically smaller/weaker kids! Duh!

And it's sadder still, that US Lacrosse is fine with that continuing to happen.

It's a shame.

I'm actually curious when it comes to US Lacrosse, how they are able to continue to provide insurance for youth programs and kids who may be playing with kids 2 years older.
This post is spot on. The cronyism is rampant and tilting the playing field with reclassified kids only serves those with scratch to pay for a couple of extra years of what is typically a private school education. Money really not much of an object. You want to grow the game, put everyone on age and sponsor town travel throughout the summer instead of these club merchants.
smoova

Post by smoova »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm And much of the lax community wants it that way, to keep the masses away from participating.
I think you just said the quiet part out loud ...

;)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Spreading the sport has been a mantra of the sport going back a very long time. A handful of schools worked hard to get lacrosse made an NCAA sport. The sport had surged ever since. I must not understand the point here
Typical Lax Dad

OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:47 pm Spreading the sport has been a mantra of the sport going back a very long time. A handful of schools worked hard to get lacrosse made an NCAA sport. The sport had surged ever since. I must not understand the point here
Growth has hit a wall. It has mostly spread to affluent suburbs across the country. Pretty much. But youth sports in general are losing participation. The demographics in hoops is changing also. It has gotten more and more expensive to participate. These are not the kids being drafted 20 years ago.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

smoova wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:55 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm And much of the lax community wants it that way, to keep the masses away from participating.
I think you just said the quiet part out loud ...

;)
lol :lol:

Well, at least one can lean on,
the game was more elitist 100 years ago.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:47 pm Spreading the sport has been a mantra of the sport going back a very long time. A handful of schools worked hard to get lacrosse made an NCAA sport. The sport had surged ever since. I must not understand the point here
they're talking about youth and on up lacrosse and what's going on now.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:16 pm
Growth has hit a wall. It has mostly spread to affluent suburbs across the country. Pretty much. But youth sports in general are losing participation. The demographics in hoops is changing also. It has gotten more and more expensive to participate. These are not the kids being drafted 20 years ago.
you have to admit, a herculean task. and not one they're likely up for. they definitely could have continued to and still could emphasize town vs club in the spring.

i mean, that's the mantra, 1st priority, not a couple founding new programs somewhere. alas, not likely soon.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:53 pm
you have to admit, a herculean task. and not one they're likely up for. they definitely could have continued to and still could emphasize town vs club in the spring.

i mean, that's the mantra, 1st priority, not a couple founding new programs somewhere. alas, not likely soon.
It definitely isn’t easy. There are more important things than lacrosse. Club programs will eat away Spring town travel as soon as the meat merchants let parents know that playing that inferior town travel won’t get you recruited….”you have to join an elite club early because you won’t make it when you are older because the spots will already be taken….”

We heard that….a three town mafia had it’s own summer club program….you had to live in one of the three towns to play….Well my little junior was told they would make an exception if he wanted to play… he didn’t want to play with them, he wanted to beat them.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:20 pm
they're talking about youth and on up lacrosse and what's going on now.

Thank you
henryben

Post by henryben »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:12 pm

It definitely isn’t easy. There are more important things than lacrosse. Club programs will eat away Spring town travel as soon as the meat merchants let parents know that playing that inferior town travel won’t get you recruited….”you have to join an elite club early because you won’t make it when you are older because the spots will already be taken….”

We heard that….a three town mafia had it’s own summer club program….you had to live in one of the three towns to play….Well my little junior was told they would make an exception if he wanted to play… he didn’t want to play with them, he wanted to beat them.
If only parents would take a deep breath and think it through: if your kid isn't good enough to show up and earn a spot on a club team in 7th/8th grade, why would he/she be good enough to get "recruited" to play in college?
Typical Lax Dad

henryben wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:29 pm

If only parents would take a deep breath and think it through: if your kid isn't good enough to show up and earn a spot on a club team in 7th/8th grade, why would he/she be good enough to get "recruited" to play in college?
Because Johnny Faceoff will “develop” them.
henryben

Post by henryben »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:35 pm

Having been through the club experience with multiple kids, I can say that they CAN be helpful, enjoyable, etc., especially if your kid has a burning desire to play with/against other kids who care as much as he does.

That said, the single best thing a parent can do (IMO) is put their kid in a true box lacrosse program when he's young...
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm I'm actually curious when it comes to US Lacrosse, how they are able to continue to provide insurance for youth programs and kids who may be playing with kids 2 years older.
No due diligence on the part of the insurer.
Typical Lax Dad

henryben wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:35 pm

Having been through the club experience with multiple kids, I can say that they CAN be helpful, enjoyable, etc., especially if your kid has a burning desire to play with/against other kids who care as much as he does.

That said, the single best thing a parent can do (IMO) is put their kid in a true box lacrosse program when he's young...
We had a good experience. Same club for 5 years. Good competition was the objective. A box lacrosse league is good advice. We didn’t have one when my son came along. Boarded turf field was as close as we got. As for development, the parents’ biological contribution and the kid’s desire to work to get better has more to do with development than Joe with a bucket of balls and funky summer lacrosse uniforms. This is true for most sports.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”