Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxjuris

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by laxjuris »

Adler, Ierlan and Long named 2023 team captains: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2022/10/ ... tains.aspx

Even in photos Adler is taking no prisoners.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

The article refers to Long as a "true senior."
I'm wondering what is eligibility is --- he was a freshman during the 5 game shortened season, the next season was cancelled, and last year was his second season of actual play. Doesn't this translate to him having another year of eligibility? My understanding is that he withdrew from school for at least one semester during what I'll the pandemic year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:50 pm The article refers to Long as a "true senior."
I'm wondering what is eligibility is --- he was a freshman during the 5 game shortened season, the next season was cancelled, and last year was his second season of actual play. Doesn't this translate to him having another year of eligibility? My understanding is that he withdrew from school for at least one semester during what I'll the pandemic year.
- 2020 gave him another eligibility year. ivy confirmed it for their schools, but the 8 semester deal was kept in tact (i think i'm saying that right?)

so between nc$$ and him bailing one semester, he has an additional ivy year. 2023 and 2024. he also of course could go anywhere else in 2024 if he graduates and couldn't play ivy or wanted to do a year elsewhere.

- it's also possible that in the eyes of somebody, that with the lack of a fielded squad in 2021, he could have an additional year (2025). however, all i've seen is guys that redshirted prior to 2020 get an additional year (6 to play 4). could be wrong, i'd be happy to be corrected. kirst at rutgers is the only exception i can think of, and don't know the details there.

the "true senior" part? it's my experience the ivy isn't big on using the term redshirt for anything. they often won't use the term, so senior this year will be senior next year if you have the eligibility and use it. in this case, maybe just lining up that he may be a "true senior" in academic years (even if he's really a semester off).
Velvet.Fog

Post by Velvet.Fog »

I think I have it from fairly reliable source that Long has at least two years left at Cornell - 2023 and 2024. My guess is that he also has another year (2025) should he choose to use it. So he is likely to be a two-year captain in the mold of recent players like Petterson, Donville, Ierlan who had at least two years in the "chair.".

I think as a general matter you can assume that most all of the Ivy players at every school have an extra year. As noted above, the Ivies don't like the terminology but they all essentially have a redshirt year so long as they are willing to likely take a semester (or two) off along the way to slow down the academic progress. Certain Yale seniors (e.g. Brandau) are purported to be taking it to the extreme apparently - off from school this semester, will play in spring 2023, then take off the fall 2023 semester, and play again in spring 2024 - all at Yale.

On a side note - the rumor is that the Cornell squad for this weekend's scrimmage will be missing a bunch of key starters for various injury/maintenance reasons that are designed to ensure that they are fully ready come Feb 1, 2023. So I guess we will really get a chance to see the young guys!!

GBR

VF
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

"Seven years of college down the drain..."

... Bluto, Animal House...

(said only in jest)
CU88

Post by CU88 »

faircornell wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 am "Seven years of college down the drain..."

... Bluto, Animal House...

(said only in jest)
I appreciate the humor, and jest.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

@CornellLacrosse with another impressive defensive addition as the Big Red head to Ohio for NLF No. 67 ‘24 Cooper Simpson.

@ResoluteLax
standout from St. Francis DeSales is a smooth, athletic and versatile defender with excellent footwork.

https://nlfrankings.com/player/cooper-simpson/
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Forgive me if this was previously posted here.

CJ Kirst 2022 Lacrosse Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKAISn6zRk
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Gobigred wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:15 am Fall ball vs. Maryland sold out: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... s-sold-out
Should be a fun event.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

faircornell wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:37 pm
Gobigred wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:15 am Fall ball vs. Maryland sold out: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... s-sold-out
Should be a fun event.
"Fifteen players combined between the two rosters are from the Philadelphia area, which should create for a great October atmosphere."

Philly strong.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I attended the fall ball scrimmage today. For various reasons, Aiden Blake, J.J. Lombardi, Chayse Irelan, Mike Long & Gavin Adler did not play, so the quality of the Big Red team was not exhibited today. While starters were playing, the Terps were ahead 7-5 into the 3rd quarter. The final score was 13-5 including a 5th quarter in which time was continuous. I didn't do much analyzing - just enjoyed the scrimmage and seeing friends, so my comments below are somewhat vague. I note that Walker Wallace was playing long stick defense and played on the wing sometimes on faceoffs. A formidable presence. Angelo Petrakis held his own at the X. Spencer Wertheim and Alex Holmes played a lot and Billy Coyle played attack with CJ Kirst and Ben Abladian. Hugh Kelleher looked good - he and CJ scored. I think CJ had 2 goals and Hugh had 1. Jack Follows had a couple caused turnovers. Jack, Gavin & Chayse will be one of the best defense trios in 2023. Wyatt Knust is a good goalie. He played the first half. Jack Cascadden took a few faceoffs and looked good as did Mark Psyllos. Jack is a large presence. Chris Davis & Mike Bozzi played a lot and looked good. I think Antonio Topouzis scored. He is quick! Andrew Dalton had a lot of action. When everyone is getting action, the Big Red will have a great attack with effective backups, two middie lines that are scoring threats and effective long stick defense and goalie. The short stick D-middies will be the issue on D. No doubt, our coaches have a plan. GBR!
Last edited by laxfan1313 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks, 1313 !
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Great event for the SE PA crowd, 2 universities who have done
real well recruiting in that area,
no problem selling out this event.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

GALLERY | Cornell Men's Lacrosse Fall Scrimmage

https://cornellbigred.com/galleries/men ... rN2tlxi-TI
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

More video
CU88

Post by CU88 »

ITHACA, N.Y. – Cornell men's lacrosse saw the naming of three athletes to the Inside Lacrosse/EvoShield Power 100 Freshman Rankings. Brendan Staub earns a five-star ranking, coming it at number 12 in the class of 2026. Staub, a two-time USA Lacrosse All-American and captain for his high school team, is joining the Big Red after senior season that paralleled Cornell's success with a run to the Long Island Boys Lacrosse Championships.

Jack Cascadden was ranked number 23 ahead of the season with a four-star ranking. Cascadden, a high school teammate with Staub, also served as a captain. Cascadden also earned the honor of being a USA Lacrosse All-American.

Bowie Horsman rounded out the Big Red representatives, also ranking as a four-star. Horsman joins Cornell from the northern neighbor. A Brampton, Ontario native, Horsman brings experience from The Hill Academy, where he tallied 19 goals and 36 assists across his senior season.

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2022/10/ ... kings.aspx
another fan

Post by another fan »

Another 24: Jake Martini, Wantagh. Listed as D, but highlights are with a short stick. Perhaps heading for d mid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCH6t2Gkqk
Last edited by another fan on Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

another fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:56 am Another 24: Jake Martini, M, Wantagh. Nice all-around mid who looks like his future might be at d mid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roCH6t2Gkqk
My mother’s hometown! Didn’t think much lacrosse came out of there but don’t follow LI lacrosse very closely.

Still can’t root for him on Hobart game day but the rest of his career I will be.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”