Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
DMac

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:41 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:48 pm Was just walking in the woods with the dog and found a bunch of paw-paw trees, with some remaining fruit on a few of the trees. Anyone have any recipes they have used. Gonna give them a whirl. I have lived in Md all my life and never heard of them until today...well, maybe I have and I just didnt care to pay attention.

https://wellness.umbc.edu/whats-new/pos ... 0September.
But for pawpaws Lewis and Clark might not have made it.
Never heard of pawpaws, some 18th century lessons and
pudding recipe. Pretty sure you could make it right handed too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-85vpDKEI
Oh my, you gotta knock this one out, youth. Give us a report.
I like the redhead too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aypkior-xR8
Home Run. I chose simple, and I already had everything in the home, with the exception of a pie crust.

PawPaw Custard Pit
1 cup or more of mushed pawpaw ( just used a fork, I wanted to keep it really simple and not purée)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup of whole milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
3-4 tablespoons of honey
Mix it all up and pour in to a pie crust.
Cooked at 425 for 15 minutes, then lowered temp to 325 for about 40 minutes, until clean pull in the middle.

In the one picture is some leftover I just poured in a small dish. I ate that warm out of the oven......OMG, it was amazing. It taste like warmed Crème Brûlée mixed with warmed moist banana/pear bread.

Let the pie cool then put in fridge. Just shared a piece with the wife after dinner and she also loved it. A unique taste....my wife said, texture and hint of banana/ripe pear with a citrus zest. She nailed it. I am officially a paw paw fan.

Holy schidt, youth, nailed it big time!!! Well done.
That looks very interesting and good. Those paw paws look perfectly ripe like the ones in the video, found 'em at just the right time. Gotta give that Dobie the paw paw scent so she can sniff some trees out for you. Are they all gone or still some on the trees?
Saigon cinnamon?
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Finished product. Halibut on bed of hummus and pesto, white asparagus, turnips, carrots and gumdrop tomatoes.
78A3296F-A6B6-45FE-B1D3-8FA5A2E4CC29.jpeg
78A3296F-A6B6-45FE-B1D3-8FA5A2E4CC29.jpeg (107.83 KiB) Viewed 831 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:17 pm Finished product. Halibut on bed of hummus and pesto, white asparagus, turnips, carrots and gumdrop tomatoes.
Sounds tasty. Haven’t heard of white asparagus.
Wish we lived closer…I’d bring over the pawpaw pie and some bourbon if you provide the main course.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:41 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:48 pm Was just walking in the woods with the dog and found a bunch of paw-paw trees, with some remaining fruit on a few of the trees. Anyone have any recipes they have used. Gonna give them a whirl. I have lived in Md all my life and never heard of them until today...well, maybe I have and I just didnt care to pay attention.

https://wellness.umbc.edu/whats-new/pos ... 0September.
But for pawpaws Lewis and Clark might not have made it.
Never heard of pawpaws, some 18th century lessons and
pudding recipe. Pretty sure you could make it right handed too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-85vpDKEI
Oh my, you gotta knock this one out, youth. Give us a report.
I like the redhead too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aypkior-xR8
Home Run. I chose simple, and I already had everything in the home, with the exception of a pie crust.

PawPaw Custard Pit
1 cup or more of mushed pawpaw ( just used a fork, I wanted to keep it really simple and not purée)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup of whole milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
3-4 tablespoons of honey
Mix it all up and pour in to a pie crust.
Cooked at 425 for 15 minutes, then lowered temp to 325 for about 40 minutes, until clean pull in the middle.

In the one picture is some leftover I just poured in a small dish. I ate that warm out of the oven......OMG, it was amazing. It taste like warmed Crème Brûlée mixed with warmed moist banana/pear bread.

Let the pie cool then put in fridge. Just shared a piece with the wife after dinner and she also loved it. A unique taste....my wife said, texture and hint of banana/ripe pear with a citrus zest. She nailed it. I am officially a paw paw fan.

Holy schidt, youth, nailed it big time!!! Well done.
That looks very interesting and good. Those paw paws look perfectly ripe like the ones in the video, found 'em at just the right time. Gotta give that Dobie the paw paw scent so she can sniff some trees out for you. Are they all gone or still some on the trees?
Saigon cinnamon?
Looks like I’m about 2-3 weeks late on the harvest. Which runs mid August through September.

The Doberman apparently ate plenty while walking the woods. She left us a nice surprise in the house this morning, pawpaw seeds and all. Thankfully they are okay for dogs. First time she’s had an accident in the house.

Saigon cinnamon is stronger than the regular stuff, has a bit moe bite to it, but really nothing special. I put it in my plain oatmeal most mornings. It has
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta remember those babies next year and get a bushel full of them. Get yourself one of these babies and put the Dobie to work. If she's going to eat 'em and schidt on the floor she should at least carry her fair share of the load.
https://www.amazon.com/EXCELLENT-ELITE- ... ds&sr=1-10
Not bad, one accident. Paw paws might cause poo poo in dogs? Hopefully she didn't get her paws in the paw paws poop and track it all over the house. ;)
ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:38 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:17 pm Finished product. Halibut on bed of hummus and pesto, white asparagus, turnips, carrots and gumdrop tomatoes.
Wish we lived closer…I’d bring over the pawpaw pie and some bourbon if you provide the main course.
In Europe asparagus IS white asparagus. It’s occasionally found in better markets here, but often substandard, probably due to shipping issues. I recall being in Bernkastel DE and dining at a place that had an 3 course asparagus (white) dinner. A salad, a soup and spears the schnitzel. More delicate in texture and flavor, if fresh.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:22 am Gotta remember those babies next year and get a bushel full of them. Get yourself one of these babies and put the Dobie to work. If she's going to eat 'em and schidt on the floor she should at least carry her fair share of the load.
https://www.amazon.com/EXCELLENT-ELITE- ... ds&sr=1-10
Not bad, one accident. Paw paws might cause poo poo in dogs? Hopefully she didn't get her paws in the paw paws poop and track it all over the house. ;)
Never seen one or had one. I don’t live in paw-paw zone though I know someone, originally from Alabama, who is trying to grow a tree, though yet to produce fruit.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Everybody's Friend Townsend and Princess Ivie make paw paw pudding:

Like those pies above, it sure looks good. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Paw Paw article from The Guardian

How America’s most enigmatic fruit is making a comeback
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... SApp_Other

The Ohio Paw-Paw Festival is in Albany Ohio. Close to Ohio U and the Huntington WV Tri-State area with Ohio, KY.
youthathletics

Re: Paw Paw article from The Guardian

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:55 am How America’s most enigmatic fruit is making a comeback
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... SApp_Other

The Ohio Paw-Paw Festival is in Albany Ohio. Close to Ohio U and the Huntington WV Tri-State area with Ohio, KY.
Very cool, thanks for the article. I am so happy that I stumbled on these on my woods. I have already put a reminder in my calendar for August to begin monitoring the 100's of trees on our woods.

It makes me begin to wonder if paw paws where/are used in making whiskey/bourbon. After eating them raw and cooked, I can connect some of its flavor to notes I pick up in bourbon? Would make sense.....Bourbon and paw paws are uniquely American. Maybe we cracked the special recipe ingredient? :lol:

Sounds like a new product line afan,
a fan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm
~Livy

DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree, very cool article, I'd go to that festival in heartbeat...I WANT A PAW PAW!!!
Yes sir, a fan needs to make something from these. Wouldn't want to call it POONTANG
but PAWTANG sounds pretty good to me. LOEPAWLD LIQUEUR ?
Here ya go, youth, some pretty good tips in here for hunting down and identifying paw
paw trees. Gotta scroll down a bit for the video, this guy gives you some good tips.
https://farmandanimals.com/how-to-find- ... ructure%20
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:39 am Agree, very cool article, I'd go to that festival in heartbeat...I WANT A PAW PAW!!!
Yes sir, a fan needs to make something from these. Wouldn't want to call it POONTANG
Here ya go, youth, some pretty good tips in here for hunting down and identifying paw
paw trees. Gotta scroll down a bit for the video, this guy gives you some good tips.
My great grandfather had a Paw Paw tree. I remember going to his house and seeing the tree and the fruit. I was very young but remember the tree and remember the man. He was born in 1874 and died in 1970. Besides the tree, I also remember the billy club that he carried and his change jar that he let us go into to get candy and ice cream money. Indian and mercury head coins.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:19 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:39 am Agree, very cool article, I'd go to that festival in heartbeat...I WANT A PAW PAW!!!
My great grandfather had a Paw Paw tree. I remember going to his house and seeing the tree and the fruit. I was very young but remember the tree and remember the man. He was born in 1874 and died in 1970. Besides the tree, I also remember the billy club that he carried and his change jar that he let us go into to get candy and ice cream money. Indian and mercury head coins.
Both my grandfather and my dad were nicknamed by their grandkids as "PawPaw, so we planted two in honor of my dad's passing 3 years ago...no fruit yet, but hopefully someday!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:46 pm
Both my grandfather and my dad were nicknamed by their grandkids as "PawPaw, so we planted two in honor of my dad's passing 3 years ago...no fruit yet, but hopefully someday!
That’s a nice way to keep the memory alive.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 am
Hey MD....be sure to watch this. They can be quite finicky.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 am
Hey MD....be sure to watch this. They can be quite finicky.
Thanks!
ardilla secreta

In southern US states paw paw is common for grandpa as is was for me and my West Virginia grandfather. Maw maw is how I addressed my grandmothers.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:38 pm
In Europe asparagus IS white asparagus. It’s occasionally found in better markets here, but often substandard, probably due to shipping issues. I recall being in Bernkastel DE and dining at a place that had an 3 course asparagus (white) dinner. A salad, a soup and spears the schnitzel. More delicate in texture and flavor, if fresh.
It's regular asparagus that is covered in soil to prevent the formation of chlorophyll, which makes it turn green. I love asparagus any old way, but I'm intrigued by the paw paw pie. Bet it's great with a little Russell's Single Barrell and a cup of coffee.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
ardilla secreta

unagi for dinnerwith Japanese rice, Kim chee, house made Asian cucumber salad and a little steamed broccoli dressed with goma sauce. Unagi is more then just sushi. Asian markets should have frozen precooked unagi (eel) already sauced. Just put under broiler. Eel is super tender and sweet. Most of the world loves eel except here where a lot of it comes from. I’ve also had it fresh in France, matelote de anguille, eel pieces cooked in red wine and served in its cooking liquid. Delicious. Americans on eel: ewww, yuk. They are slippery squirmy creatures and not easy to skin. You basically have to nail their head to board and pull skin off with a towel.
DA236477-1620-425C-ADF6-6435548C7C06.jpeg
DA236477-1620-425C-ADF6-6435548C7C06.jpeg (117.21 KiB) Viewed 593 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

tis the season to be jolly ~ made myself a terrific pumpkin pie topped with macadamia nuts ~~~ yum, yum! went so well with my morning coffee ~~~ can't honestly think of a better way to start my day ...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/41/dd/11/41dd ... 31e34d.jpg
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”