Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by bearlaxfan »

Schrödinger's Recruit: they are both Tewaaraton winners and "whatever happened to?" at the same time.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:25 am has xanders gone on record to say that's what he's doing? calling club coaches, and lining up recruits with hoo is going to recruit them?

or are we just spitballing?
I do know I've seen him at some of the tournaments my kid has played at over the summers, replete with clipboard and I have seen him taking notes. So there's some actual physical presence...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I con’t know sbout Ty but Carp told me one day he talked to coaches, former players and others in addition to making personal visits to tourneys, summer camps etc
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... -henderson

Look at what is noted….
The article is paywalled. And very long (I have an espn+ account). What is noted?
Typical Lax Dad

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... -henderson

Look at what is noted….
The article is paywalled. And very long (I have an espn+ account). What is noted?
The ages of the prospects. In basketball, players get marked down for being old.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

It's a little different in the pros, where they're projecting for potential and what guys could do in a long career. In college basketball, coaches love to talk about getting old and staying old to keep having continuity in the program. If you only have players for 4 or 5 years, the focus is on what they can do short term. I'd imagine it's similar for lacrosse too, though I'm not sure what percent take PG years or are held back to be in a better recruiting year compared to basketball.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Sorry but it comes down to educational opportunities. Kid has a choice of Loyola, Rutgers and other good Lax programs or Ivy’s, Top schools like Duke, UNC, etc…. There is no real $$$ in Lax. Getting a great education is end game for wealthy families. Full Stop.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

Recruiting 17/18yr olds is a complete crapshoot. Arguably the best goaltender in college last year Dobson. Had exactly 1 college offer coming out of high school. So you never know what’s gonna happen with these kids.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tonyp2566 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:55 am Recruiting 17/18yr olds is a complete crapshoot. Arguably the best goaltender in college last year Dobson. Had exactly 1 college offer coming out of high school. So you never know what’s gonna happen with these kids.
Luckily, the right coach recognized how good he was,

side note,

best hair in DI lacrosse,
this St Bonnies defenseman ————>

https://gobonnies.com/sports/mens-lacro ... filio/4740

_____
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Regarding recruiting....saw this and thought it was appropriate to share here.

The SEC's top 3 passers, top 2 rushers, top 4 receivers...were all 3 stars coming out of high school. And that's with college football programs having far more resources devoted to recruiting than college lacrosse programs, and all of the various paid scouting enterprises that spend resources on football recruiting (Rivals, ESPN, etc.).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am Regarding recruiting....saw this and thought it was appropriate to share here.

The SEC's top 3 passers, top 2 rushers, top 4 receivers...were all 3 stars coming out of high school. And that's with college football programs having far more resources devoted to recruiting than college lacrosse programs, and all of the various paid scouting enterprises that spend resources on football recruiting (Rivals, ESPN, etc.).
Sounds like the extra stars are for losers, or possibly throw others off the trail to keep guys under the radar.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

lol,

to the Rodney meme.
Typical Lax Dad

PulpExposure wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am Regarding recruiting....saw this and thought it was appropriate to share here.

Barring injury, how many 4 or 5 stars rarely see the field in football?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:10 am

at vandy, few.
at alabama, plenty (4s).
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:46 pm

at vandy, few.
at alabama, plenty (4s).
👍
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Not sure but there's a general truth in college football that getting more 4 or 5 star recruits than not is needed to compete for a national championship. A recruiting analyst came up with the term "Blue Chip Index" to explain the theory. Here's more info if you're interested:
https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/B ... 90039196_8
Typical Lax Dad

jff97 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:09 pm

Not sure but there's a general truth in college football that getting more 4 or 5 star recruits than not is needed to compete for a national championship. A recruiting analyst came up with the term "Blue Chip Index" to explain the theory. Here's more info if you're interested:
I will take a look. Just heard on the radio this morning that the coach at Kansas is getting it done with 3 stars. Many of which are probably 2 stars but ratings pundits don’t want the blow back for raking kids with 2 stars so you never see it.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm

I will take a look. Just heard on the radio this morning that the coach at Kansas is getting it done with 3 stars. Many of which are probably 2 stars but ratings pundits don’t want the blow back for raking kids with 2 stars so you never see it.
Hhhmmm, and none of the 3 star HS recruits listed on the SEC teams are on top 10 teams and KU’s signature win this year is versus Duke. Hats off for KU’s season so far and individual players having great stats but I would stick with the 5 star players.
Typical Lax Dad

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 pm

Hhhmmm, and none of the 3 star HS recruits listed on the SEC teams are on top 10 teams and KU’s signature win this year is versus Duke. Hats off for KU’s season so far and individual players having great stats but I would stick with the 5 star players.
So would I. I just found the comment interesting. There is speculation that the Kansas coach may be headed to Wisconsin. I prefer good players. I don’t pay attention to rankings.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”