The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:31 am
OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:27 am Born and raised in Rochester. It was always WNY. Syracuse was central NY. Binghamton was southern tier. Upstate was west as far as Central NY and north up to Watertown etc
+1, that is what I have always believed, you nailed it spot on.
He’s saying upstate is east of Syracuse…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:55 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:27 am Born and raised in Rochester. It was always WNY. Syracuse was central NY. Binghamton was southern tier. Upstate was west as far as Central NY and north up to Watertown etc
You might want to re read what he said. Your from Bingo. Is Bingo southern tier, Central NY, Western NY, Downstate, Upstate??? There is no correct answer, if you find one let me know. What I have learned from this discussion is there is no agreement on how Upstate NY is defined. I have no problem with that. I know how I have always described Upstate NY. I'm just fine with that.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it probably? comes down to where you're from. as o'canada is from wny as are you... and you're in agreement.

if you're from nyc or li, it probably absolutely starts at westchester/rockland and maybe not even there.

i'm born southern tier, have lived both there several times and in cny. most of my life elsewhere, but am back a bunch and have plenty of family "upstate". to me, upstate is anything north of lower hudson valley. defining feature of separation is nyc metro.

i don't click on tons of politics threads, but how did i not know this debate was going on?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:36 pm
You might want to re read what he said. Your from Bingo. Is Bingo southern tier, Central NY, Western NY, Downstate, Upstate??? There is no correct answer, if you find one let me know. What I have learned from this discussion is there is no agreement on how Upstate NY is defined. I have no problem with that. I know how I have always described Upstate NY. I'm just fine with that.
Poorly worded by OC. “West as far as..” can mean all the west from CT to Cuse or from Ohio/great lakes to cuse.

Upstate can also be subdivided, it’s not mutually exclusive You’re the one who makes definitive answers. You also said it’s a 5hr drive from Roch to Albany and over 300mi…for having such a myopic focus on your specific experiences i would expect more discipline and accuracy in describing the state. Unless it reflects a distorted view of things which extends to more than half your arguments across these threads which tend to circle back to how NYC ruins a the rest of the state unfairly (despite any consideration of proportionate representation) and how cities like Rochester are uniquely horrible places run by effete limp wristed liberals or whatever.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:53 pm it probably? comes down to where you're from. as o'canada is from wny as are you... and you're in agreement.

if you're from nyc or li, it probably absolutely starts at westchester/rockland and maybe not even there.

i'm born southern tier, have lived both there several times and in cny. most of my life elsewhere, but am back a bunch and have plenty of family "upstate". to me, upstate is anything north of lower hudson valley. defining feature of separation is nyc metro.

i don't click on tons of politics threads, but how did i not know this debate was going on?
It started with a claim of 5hr, 300+ mi drive form a Roch to Albany on the Thruway. Then declarations were made emphatically about what’s right and wrong by Cradle.

It’s not just you and I, it’s the large majority of the states population which applies a definition close to this bolded.

And of course I made the parallel early on where the folks in Turkey will tell you they are European while the people in Europe will call them Asian (what I heard CS referring to them as middle eastern over and over in Europe).
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:14 pm
Poorly worded by OC. “West as far as..” can mean all the west from CT to Cuse or from Ohio/great lakes to cuse.

Upstate can also be subdivided, it’s not mutually exclusive You’re the one who makes definitive answers. You also said it’s a 5hr drive from Roch to Albany and over 300mi…for having such a myopic focus on your specific experiences i would expect more discipline and accuracy in describing the state. Unless it reflects a distorted view of things which extends to more than half your arguments across these threads which tend to circle back to how NYC ruins a the rest of the state unfairly (despite any consideration of proportionate representation) and how cities like Rochester are uniquely horrible places run by effete limp wristed liberals or whatever.
It was a 5 hour drive for me on most days when i was driving a Pepsi Cola box truck loaded with equipment/product driving at 60mph top end speed and stopping as required for DOT mandatory rest breaks to include a 30 minute lunch and stopping for fuel. I overestimated the mileage... excuse the eff out of me. It was a long and monotonous drive Those trips to Latham were never the highlight of my day. Round trip including loading and unloading at Latham was around a 12 hour round trip. Sorry I was wrong in my mileage calculations. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me. If you still think you can make the run in 3 hours, that is a discussion for another day.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:18 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:53 pm it probably? comes down to where you're from. as o'canada is from wny as are you... and you're in agreement.

It started with a claim of 5hr, 300+ mi drive form a Roch to Albany on the Thruway. Then declarations were made emphatically about what’s right and wrong by Cradle.

It’s not just you and I, it’s the large majority of the states population which applies a definition close to this bolded.

And of course I made the parallel early on where the folks in Turkey will tell you they are European while the people in Europe will call them Asian (what I heard CS referring to them as middle eastern over and over in Europe).
"And of course I made the parallel early on where the folks in Turkey will tell you they are European while the people in Europe will call them Asian (what I heard CS referring to them as middle eastern over and over in Europe)."

I have no idea What the heck you are talking about here. You need to get a grip dude. You are wound up way to tight... :roll:
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:14 pm

It was a 5 hour drive for me on most days when i was driving a Pepsi Cola box truck loaded with equipment/product driving at 60mph top end speed and stopping as required for DOT mandatory rest breaks to include a 30 minute lunch and stopping for fuel. I overestimated the mileage... excuse the eff out of me. It was a long and monotonous drive Those trips to Latham were never the highlight of my day. Round trip including loading and unloading at Latham was around a 12 hour round trip. Sorry I was wrong in my mileage calculations. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me. If you still think you can make the run in 3 hours, that is a discussion for another day.
Yeah I can make it in 3 for a shade over 220mi.

Doesn’t matter the point is you made a universal declaration not some unique specific to your experience statement strongly. Then we’re here now. Backtracking and redefining what the trip is.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:18 pm

"And of course I made the parallel early on where the folks in Turkey will tell you they are European while the people in Europe will call them Asian (what I heard CS referring to them as middle eastern over and over in Europe)."

I have no idea What the heck you are talking about here. You need to get a grip dude. You are wound up way to tight... :roll:

Sure. Just stop speaking as if you represent all of NY state outside NYC because you don’t and your perspective doesn’t reflect all of the state beyond Rockland Co.

It’s just your distorted view of it.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

According to NYSPHSAA Western NY is Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaragus counties. Rochester and surrounding counties is referred to as the Genesee Valley. If you have a problem with that then go see Assistant Principal Art Swensen.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:12 am
So, Upstate lacrosse teams don't include Rochester area, much less Syracuse area, Irondequoit, Ithaca, Corning, Scaneatles, Schenectady, etc?

http://www.ulalax.com

http://www.ulalax.com/FacilityList.asp? ... ulalax.com

There's a Western NY Association too, but almost entirely Buffalo and close environs.
http://www.wnylacrossefoundation.org/locations

Of course, this discussion originated from politics, where Upstate was being differentiated from downstate NYC, etc. Two areas...complaining that upstate gets outvoted by downstate...

Want to divide up "Upstate" into west, central, southern, and "up"(north)?
No problem.
Simply the customary usage when and where i grew up, i personally don’t care either way
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:12 am
So, Upstate lacrosse teams don't include Rochester area, much less Syracuse area, Irondequoit, Ithaca, Corning, Scaneatles, Schenectady, etc?

http://www.ulalax.com

http://www.ulalax.com/FacilityList.asp? ... ulalax.com

There's a Western NY Association too, but almost entirely Buffalo and close environs.
http://www.wnylacrossefoundation.org/locations

Of course, this discussion originated from politics, where Upstate was being differentiated from downstate NYC, etc. Two areas...complaining that upstate gets outvoted by downstate...

Want to divide up "Upstate" into west, central, southern, and "up"(north)?
No problem.
Simply the customary usage when and where i grew up, i personally don’t care either way
Yes that’s the difference, cradle defines all issues based in his universe of experiences largely dominated by being in the greater Roch area. This all started because he makes claims based on his experiences that aren’t universal as I and many here know to be the case to point out the filter being used to even define ones own local observations and experiences let alone someone from another wildly different, or even somewhat similar, place. The definition of upstate doesn’t matter but then why did he fight so hard for his version to be correct (on top of the made up distance between Roch and Albany. Bigger point of it all is that Albany, Bing, Oneonta, Watertown and Cuse have more in common with Roch than NYC which is what our man argues profusely isn’t the case.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"Moron who has no business running for president": Trump-DeSantis cold war devolves into insults

yeah, THIS would be "so much better" than what we have now... :roll:

...but... "the policies"!

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:13 am Larry Hogan flirting with the public: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgxiENgvnkn/
10 Billion dollar swing to the black. https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/statu ... KuN1h2v13A
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:13 am Larry Hogan flirting with the public: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgxiENgvnkn/
10 Billion dollar swing to the black. https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/statu ... KuN1h2v13A
Other than the Red Line mistake, darn good Governor.
Very well liked, reasonable, thrifty, and hires well.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:52 pm
No mistake IMO, He already had two irons in the fire with the new Harry NIce Bridge and the Purple line (in PG County)....and the Red Line had no guarantee of federal funding though completion. Not to mention, the only people kicking his teeth in over it where senate democrats (go figure)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

Obvious question is: how? How did he do that?

If the answer is "Covid money"......
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:12 pm

I'm seeing increased spending from 2015-17 under Hogan.....

Is his secret sauce tax hikes mixed with Federal Money?

https://somd.com/news/headlines/2017/21629.php
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:16 pm

I do not know all the details...it appears it just hunkered down on clean/balanced budget that was adhered t as best as possible. https://www.facebook.com/GovLarryHogan/ ... wjxYk&_rdr
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:13 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:16 pm

I do not know all the details...it appears it just hunkered down on clean/balanced budget that was adhered t as best as possible. https://www.facebook.com/GovLarryHogan/ ... wjxYk&_rdr
2015: Maryland State spending $39.9 Billion

2020: Maryland State spending $46.6 billion.

So as I keep saying, the way forward for the Republican party is liberal policies, bigger government.....all brought to you with a little R to make Republican voters not care. Which is fine, but make no mistake: that's what that party is if they can get rid of Trump's fake culture wars.

Under the American Rescue Plan, Maryland will receive $3.7 billion in direct state fiscal aid and $1.8 billion in local government aid from the federal government. As of January 2022, Maryland had spent part of its ARP funds on revenue replacement, education spending, capitol construction, and economic development.

Pretty easy to break even when the Federal Government is borrowing the money for you.....and giving it to you for free.

Return to “POLITICS”