2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by jhu72 »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:24 pm Has everyone seen - Kathy Griffin is calling for a civil war if the dems don't dominate the midterms. :shock:

it's getting pretty weird out there....
... I did a search on Google. Only places reporting it are right wing sites of questionable integrity. One site shows an image supposed to be a screen capture of Griffin's Twitter account. The site claims this is why Biden is talking about MAGA threat to democracy. :roll: I'll wait to see if Fox follows up.

The certain real Griffin news is she has lung cancer.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:40 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:24 pm Has everyone seen - Kathy Griffin is calling for a civil war if the dems don't dominate the midterms. :shock:

... I did a search on Google. Only places reporting it are right wing sites of questionable integrity. One site shows an image supposed to be a screen capture of Griffin's Twitter account. The site claims this is why Biden is talking about MAGA threat to democracy. :roll: I'll wait to see if Fox follows up.

Well, since it is still in her Twitter feed as I type this, your "googling" skills leave something to be desired....
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 5.03.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 5.03.18 PM.png (52.99 KiB) Viewed 616 times
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:04 pm

Well, since it is still in her Twitter feed as I type this, your "googling" skills leave something to be desired....

:lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

:D pretty sure that's not remotely what she means.
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 6.37.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 6.37.11 PM.png (158.44 KiB) Viewed 611 times
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:38 pm

for someone for whom speaking is the way they make their living, you'd think she would be pretty precise with language. I am not sure what else she could have meant. Is her position now that a political party that wins an election will then wage civil war against its own majority position?

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... you could have done that with your original post. NO WHERE DID YOU SAY IT WAS HER TWITTER ACCOUNT. I HAD TO DISCOVER IT WAS HER TWITTER ACCOUNT. The only people reporting it were your questionable integrity news sites. Which of course is exactly where you got it ORIGINALLY! :roll: Then these same sites are trying to spin it as something it is not. It's Biden's fault. :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 pm

for someone for whom speaking is the way they make their living, you'd think she would be pretty precise with language. I am not sure what else she could have meant. Is her position now that a political party that wins an election will then wage civil war against its own majority position?
She's a comedian HooDat, not a grammarian...I'm not a fan of hers (and I assume you are not, thus didn't follow her Twitter feed...I don't!) but it would not cross my mind that someone who has commented so often about the outrageous calls for violence against the US government coming from the hard right would be saying Democrats (her side) should attack the US government. Nope.

What I assume she meant was that the best way to not have increasing partisan political violence, ala Jan 6, is to defeat those forces thoroughly at the ballot box. If the GOP forces that are so blatantly anti-government (eg 'defund the FBI, etc) gain power in the legislatures and state election officials offices, they can be expected to double down on their efforts to grab more power absent further actual wins at the ballot box...and those new officials, unlike their predecessor GOP officials, have clearly indicated that they will take what would normally be considered quite illegal actions to accrue further power...and, yeah, when that gets confronted by the federal government, indeed higher likelihood of violence.

But, as usual, she communicates poorly IMO.
But she wasn't actually calling for violence if the GOP was to win more power...but her words can easily be twisted as such by those who wish to do so...ala whatever media source you picked that up from.

BTW, note, whatever happens in November, the GOP will not control the executive branch of the US government.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 pm

She's a comedian HooDat, not a grammarian...I'm not a fan of hers (and I assume you are not, thus didn't follow her Twitter feed...I don't!) but it would not cross my mind that someone who has commented so often about the outrageous calls for violence against the US government coming from the hard right would be saying Democrats (her side) should attack the US government. Nope.

What I assume she meant was that the best way to not have increasing partisan political violence, ala Jan 6, is to defeat those forces thoroughly at the ballot box. If the GOP forces that are so blatantly anti-government (eg 'defund the FBI, etc) gain power in the legislatures and state election officials offices, they can be expected to double down on their efforts to grab more power absent further actual wins at the ballot box...and those new officials, unlike their predecessor GOP officials, have clearly indicated that they will take what would normally be considered quite illegal actions to accrue further power...and, yeah, when that gets confronted by the federal government, indeed higher likelihood of violence.

But, as usual, she communicates poorly IMO.
But she wasn't actually calling for violence if the GOP was to win more power...but her words can easily be twisted as such by those who wish to do so...ala whatever media source you picked that up from.

BTW, note, whatever happens in November, the GOP will not control the executive branch of the US government.
It was clearly her attempt at a mid term campaign argument / point / slogan / whatever by Griffin; followed by what the right wing does, spin things into outrage for their fanboys. No one really sees it accept for their followers and the left wing "right wing watch". Most of this kind of stuff dies when Faux News decides not to pick it up. Its what right wing media does, rinse repeat. This nonsense predates Trump by a decade or more, only difference Faux News picks up less of this than it used to, because everyone is on to the game and they look stupid when they get called on it.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

But but but both sides are bad!!! LMAO
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:20 pm

:lol:
I am highly skilled at googling. Specialize in 7+ women and random esoteric junk.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 pm ala whatever media source you picked that up from.
I picked it up from Twitter, haven't seen it in the news anywhere, because I didn't look for it in the news. Not sure what "spin" any side has put on it - although I am sure everybody who earns a living slinging spin did so.

I found it amusing/depressing/ironic, but we have already wasted far more time talking about it than it deserved.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:46 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 pm ala whatever media source you picked that up from.
I picked it up from Twitter, haven't seen it in the news anywhere, because I didn't look for it in the news. Not sure what "spin" any side has put on it - although I am sure everybody who earns a living slinging spin did so.

I found it amusing/depressing/ironic, but we have already wasted far more time talking about it than it deserved.
Yes, pretty worthless discussion :D ...but if you picked that up through Twitter, it probably wasn't because you follow her on Twitter, right? ;)

The algorithm fed you someone else's reaction, most likely to a right wing media story about it or some Twitter troll's attack. Twitter's algorithm does a good job of feeding us the spooled up reactions of people that generate heat on Twitter...unfortunately, that means we get stuff that reinforces or inflames our biases (as indicated by our reactions to prior tweets...even clicking on it is a reaction...). At a minimum, we get a distorted impression, shaped by others, even if we don't know it's happening.

I suspect you're a way above average informed consumer, so more conscious of this stuff than most, but it still bears repeating that there's an industry around shaping our views in ways that get us to engage more and more and more...all about the $...

On this one, I don't think that it requires 'spin' to see that she didn't mean it the way the right wing trolls/media wanted others to see her words. But poor wording, for sure.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Federal appeals court revives 100s of suits previously dismissed on basis of statute of limitations in the Ohio State athlete abuse case - discovery will now be allowed and plaintiffs can get docs/testimony from school witnesses, like former wrestling coach Gym Jordan :oops:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:03 pm I guess I should not be surprised: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/07/politics ... index.html
No, you shouldn't. The GOP, at the rank and file level, is simply lawless now.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Michael Moore was on Bill Maher last night. I know most conservatives and even some moderates don’t like him, but he said something I thought was interesting.

Famously, he was one of the few liberals in 2016 to predict Trump would win. He based that, as I recall, primarily on his understanding of how people in Michigan (where he’s from) were feeling.

Last night he said he thinks the Democrats will pick up 2 to 5 seats in the Senate and will hold the House. He bases that, in part, on the sharp rise in registrations among women voters and young voters.

I was surprised by his comments since he is usually somewhat of a Negative Nelly when it comes to predicting the Democrats’ chances in an upcoming election.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:58 am Michael Moore was on Bill Maher last night. I know most conservatives and even some moderates don’t like him, but he said something I thought was interesting.

Famously, he was one of the few liberals in 2016 to predict Trump would win. He based that, as I recall, primarily on his understanding of how people in Michigan (where he’s from) were feeling.

Last night he said he thinks the Democrats will pick up 2 to 5 seats in the Senate and will hold the House. He bases that, in part, on the sharp rise in registrations among women voters and young voters.

I was surprised by his comments since he is usually somewhat of a Negative Nelly when it comes to predicting the Democrats’ chances in an upcoming election.
You also have a place and time now where the further left has been backing the worst of the maga candidates in primaries in a disgusting and disrespectful to voters political move to have a presumed easier time in the general election. So nothing is unique anymore.

Moore is a “gut” guy doesn’t care for facts all that much so id probably rely more on Nate silver and 538 than Moore.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, the pollsters and prognosticators haven’t been doing a very good job of late.

I’m not as optimistic as Moore. I think the Dems pick up the Senate seat in Pennsylvania. Beyond that, I’m not sure. They have tough holds in Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada. Two for three might be a realistic. All three would be gravy.

Dems have tough pick ups in North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Florida. Frankly, I would take one for four.

Just don’t see the Dems holding the House. Putting aside all of the mumbo-jumbo about the party in power usually losing in the midterms, Biden‘s approval ratings, the economy, blah blah blah, a factor that doesn’t get enough attention, in my mind, is the shift in seats from state to state following the 2020 consensus (e.g., CA losing seats and TX and Fla picking up). Almost all of those changes favor the Republicans. And then there are the redistricting games the Republicans play. The Dems do too, but they control a lot fewer states.

I live in a swing district which historically is moderately Republican. A Dem (Andy Kim) won in 2018 and 2020 in razor tight races. His district has been redistricted to make it safer for him, but it was at the cost of making another district in New Jersey safer for Republicans.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Farfrom, who do you think wins the Georgia senate race?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Speaking with the use of double entendres, puns, opacity. Comedians, if that’s what she should be called forget politics I wish she’d going away because she’s not funny and her voice is brutal and I loved Gilbert Godfrey, rarely speaks directly and clearly.

You’re taking that clown too seriously. She only speaks for herself and some losers that watch her reality show on E or Oxygen or whatever they call the Learning Channel now that’s it’s filled with midget and Mormon little people
Shows.

Return to “POLITICS”