Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 pm Beat 16 to it. Another 24 commit:

@jhumenslacrosse picks up one of the best ‘24 lefty snipers as NLF No. 69 Ben Morris (Bayport-Blue Point, N.Y.) commits.

@team91lacrosse standout had a terrific summer, including lights-out CrabFeast. Outstanding shooter w/ both velocity and accuracy.
Second 4-star in as many days

I've heard this kid described as one of the two or three best rising juniors on Long Island. Played with current Jays freshman Jameson Smith at BBP.

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/15 ... 0237846534
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

on the roster
-quint speculated last spring mcmanus had a job offer and wasn't coming back-he was right.
-happy trails to epstein. gave the program a lot.
-year 3 of PM and the goalie room has versfeld and marcille who haven't shown anything. Webb is an unknown. And we're relying on a veteran transfer, again.
-Shure who was one of those guys who felt like he was here forever finally graduated. He wasn't a superstar but he filled a mandown role for a long time. Lot of upperclass depth at the position.
-Didn't see much from the freshman class year.
-More unknowns across the roster from attack to the junior midfielders (still) to 3rd behind szulak and smith to goalie and goalie depth than knowns-degnon/narewski/martin/angelus/szulak/smith. No rebuilding is perfect but in year 3 feels like we should feel better or more certain about the direction of things.

Nebraska lost to Texas Southern. D1 isn't going to happen, but you wonder how many 2nd tier teams we could beat if we tried. Wonder what effect all that big ten tv money is going to have on the quality of our rivals facilities/programs and what pressure that's going to put on Homewood to upgrade.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:22 pm on the roster
-quint speculated last spring mcmanus had a job offer and wasn't coming back-he was right.
Further to the roster Blake Rodgers, Jared Fernandez, Hakim Hicks are now gone.

Lots of speculation and rumors around all of their departures. The speculation indicates a sorely needed stability is still eluding this program.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Lots of speculation and rumors around all of their departures. The speculation indicates a sorely needed stability is still eluding this program.
i haven't seen any speculation and rumors on them. could indicate there's nothing really to it from a macro sense.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:24 pm

i haven't seen any speculation and rumors on them. could indicate there's nothing really to it from a macro sense.
I think seniors that started the year with the team and then abruptly depart within days of the program starting their fall ball would indicate something is up.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:43 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:24 pm

I think seniors that started the year with the team and then abruptly depart within days of the program starting their fall ball would indicate something is up.
but like i said, i've seen nothing on speculation and rumors. so it really could be any scenario.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

They should have hired Marr or Nads when they had the chance.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:47 am

He beat Nadelen on the road last year and Galloway at home. In the university commissioned longform story on milliman he said he's a delegator and now has crawley and jameson who almost everyone says are two bright program alumni and rising stars in the sport.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yes, Marr, a coach famous for no one ever leaving his program under mysterious circumstances. You're becoming a self-parody.

Sometimes I like to imagine PM getting suspended for two games due to an NCAA violation — as Nads was in 2021 — and wonder what Sag A's reaction to that would have been. Always a funny image, I suggest it for anyone who's in need of a chuckle.

It's fall, players get cut or decide they don't want to play anymore. It happens with lots and lots of teams. I don't know the specifics with Rodgers or Fernandez but both have extensive injury histories.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

That's a shame about Fernandez. I REALLY enjoyed watching him at Syracuse. He wasn't a perfect player, but he was really good and easy to root for. I was hoping to watch him play more, even if it was for JHU.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:55 am He beat Nadelen on the road last year and Galloway at home. In the university commissioned longform story on milliman he said he's a delegator and now has crawley and jameson who almost everyone says are two bright program alumni and rising stars in the sport.
Cawley and Jameson I really like. The Head Coach, not so much....
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:18 am That's a shame about Fernandez. I REALLY enjoyed watching him at Syracuse. He wasn't a perfect player, but he was really good and easy to root for. I was hoping to watch him play more, even if it was for JHU.
Sucks to lose those guys but if the remaining players have jerseys and scholarships in some cases the coaches think they can go on the field and win us games.

Fall ball should be interesting.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:58 am

Yes, Marr, a coach famous for no one ever leaving his program under mysterious circumstances. You're becoming a self-parody.

Sometimes I like to imagine PM getting suspended for two games due to an NCAA violation — as Nads was in 2021 — and wonder what Sag A's reaction to that would have been. Always a funny image, I suggest it for anyone who's in need of a chuckle.

It's fall, players get cut or decide they don't want to play anymore. It happens with lots and lots of teams. I don't know the specifics with Rodgers or Fernandez but both have extensive injury histories.
It’s true but it’s the Fernandez one that is most puzzling for me. Injuries aside from what I’ve heard he was brought in because of his high character and leadership. To have him either run off or him quitting doesn’t fit with that and certainly doesn’t fit with the rumors of the ongoing strife between him and the defensive coach.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I think i hear Pavlov’s dog howling.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Another 4-star commit: Sean Crogan, middie out of Massachusetts. Interesting that he did not pick Georgetown, where his older brother Patrick recently committed. But I suppose all brothers need not play together.

https://twitter.com/natlaxfed/status/15 ... 1316920322

IL's write-up:
Everything Crogan does is fast. So explosive coming out of his dodge, he's got phenomenal hands and can shoot a heavy ball with accuracy and with a downright nasty release. The younger brother of Patrick, a Georgetown-bound Under Armour All-American, the younger Crogan was constantly able to get a step on defenders and create separation in any number of ways at Main Stage.

He's so tough to stop with his rollback and has done a really nice job making plays with either hand and finding the open man by doling out assists on an absolute rope. I love how hard he plays from whistle to whistle and elevates the guys around him, too.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins Hall of Fame ceremony was interesting in more than one way.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

At least Nads doesn't run off his best players.
Oh I seem to recall the Hop athletic Department had some NCAA violations a few years back......
Nobody's perfect.....but in college ball....don't run off your best players.
Coach has no personality. All he can do is yell at people. Get's old.
All he's brought to the table thus far is a dysfunctional team.
random observer

Post by random observer »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:22 am Another 4-star commit: Sean Crogan, middie out of Massachusetts. Interesting that he did not pick Georgetown, where his older brother Patrick recently committed. But I suppose all brothers need not play together.

https://twitter.com/natlaxfed/status/15 ... 1316920322

IL's write-up:
Everything Crogan does is fast. So explosive coming out of his dodge, he's got phenomenal hands and can shoot a heavy ball with accuracy and with a downright nasty release. The younger brother of Patrick, a Georgetown-bound Under Armour All-American, the younger Crogan was constantly able to get a step on defenders and create separation in any number of ways at Main Stage.

He's so tough to stop with his rollback and has done a really nice job making plays with either hand and finding the open man by doling out assists on an absolute rope. I love how hard he plays from whistle to whistle and elevates the guys around him, too.
Very impressive pulling him away from the Hoyas. Patrick is one of the elite middies in the 22 class and Sean looks a whole lot like him.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 am

At least Nads doesn't run off his best players.
Oh I seem to recall the Hop athletic Department had some NCAA violations a few years back......
Nobody's perfect.....but in college ball....don't run off your best players.
Coach has no personality. All he can do is yell at people. Get's old.
All he's brought to the table thus far is a dysfunctional team.
OK. They didn't hire Nadelen. He's moved on. Maybe you should do the same.

Those violations you referenced occurred under the previous staff. If you're looking for dysfunction, that's a good place to start. PM did not exactly inherit a great situation. Remember Jack Rapine? Pat Foley? Joel Tinney? Drew Supinski? Taite Cattoni? Did you cry when any of those personnel debacles went down? No? You seem to have quite a conveniently selective memory.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Pavlov ‘s dog whistling again. I liked the dog named Bierka. They didn’t hire a lot of coaches who they did not interview. The Hopkins lax community at the HOF ceremony was interesting. Don’t think you were there.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”