Dr. Tact

Re: And the hits just keep on coming

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20

Re: And the hits just keep on coming

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:35 pm
As a parent who appreciates the SCHOLAR-athlete, Kudos to Ms. North! :D :D :D
I agree, huge accomplishment. Congratulations to CN and all the scholar-athletes
OuttaNowhereWregget

Some thoughts on the Northless era beginning

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

IF, as it has been alleged in certain places by certain folks, Charlotte North was less than a selfless gracious teammate and representative of Boston College women’s lacrosse to some; would it not stand to reason that the team might be more footloose and fancy free next season, not only in the locker room but on the field? I have no idea whether or not what has been hinted at is true, but I did observe a significant absence of appreciation in a certain area last June that I found hard to ignore. Will there be more ball movement and more touches and more room for confidence to grow in the rest of the team? It will certainly be something to keep an eye on. It will be interesting to gauge in a very big test when BC goes to the shores of Lake Michigan early next year to square off against the anticipated and welcome return of Izzy “Warrior” Scane to the Purple Gang on the outskirts of the Windy City. (My—but how does that team recover from that brutal and demoralizing loss to the Powder Blue Crew in last years semis?)

Then again, The Great One will be sorely missed—not only at this address, but by the team. She didn’t score every single time defenses stacked against her in big games but she was always very dangerous, and in many occasions she did come through. I was watching the last half of the 4th quarter of the Maryland semifinal again last night, a game that is instantly one of the great wins of the program—top 5 in my book. Again it was so obvious, that although Maryland was complicit in their own demise with the mistakes they made in crunch time, it was also just as obvious that North couldn’t be stopped when it was clear the Eagles were designing plays for her teammates to clear out and give her room to do her thing—and do her thing she did, scoring the two late goals to pull the Eagles even with the nervous Terps with mere minutes left. She was also fundamental in diverting the defense’s attention to clear the way for Cassidy Weeks to pot the game winner with 18 seconds left, then won the ensuing draw to teammate Hollie Schleicher to seal the game. It’s not going to be easy to replace the abundance that she brought to the team. She leaves as the all time leading goal scorer in women’s D1—and she did it in the ACC. Yes, she had extra games with which to amass her totals, but if just the ’21 and ’22 seasons are assessed, she scored prodigious goals for the Eagles.

The team will produce new scorers and new threats in ’23. It is the way with all teams in all sports, but especially with Acacia’s Eagles. Kayla Martello emerged last year from relative obscurity to become a force on offense (and the ride as the season wore on). No doubt other players will emerge and step up next year, as well. All to say, it should be a very interesting and competitive year for the Daughters of Acacia. I don’t know if they’ll be there on Championship Weekend for what would be the 6th! year in a row, but I would say they’re a pretty good bet to make it back. Will they seriously challenge for a 2nd title? All depends on how the team gels and if they can avoid the injuries that can be so crippling. Still a long 5 months away…

Seacoaster(1)

Re: Boston College

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I think BC will be good this year. The question of whether they can reach the level of excellence necessary to reach Memorial Day is a question mark. I think there is an opportunity with North's departure for BC to play better offense -- by which I mean less reliant on the skills of one individual and therefore harder to game plan against. My guess is that the staff will be telling the kids to work to improve every day, make sure the team we feature in May is very different from the team we start out with in the snows.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 am I think BC will be good this year. The question of whether they can reach the level of excellence necessary to reach Memorial Day is a question mark. I think there is an opportunity with North's departure for BC to play better offense -- by which I mean less reliant on the skills of one individual and therefore harder to game plan against. My guess is that the staff will be telling the kids to work to improve every day, make sure the team we feature in May is very different from the team we start out with in the snows.
I think they’re good enough with their defense and Smith and Medjid. They just have to play their game and they’ll be in Memorial Day weekend.
OuttaNowhereWregget

user1020 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:05 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:02 am I think BC will be good this year. The question of whether they can reach the level of excellence necessary to reach Memorial Day is a question mark. I think there is an opportunity with North's departure for BC to play better offense -- by which I mean less reliant on the skills of one individual and therefore harder to game plan against. My guess is that the staff will be telling the kids to work to improve every day, make sure the team we feature in May is very different from the team we start out with in the snows.
I think they’re good enough with their defense and Smith and Medjid. They just have to play their game and they’ll be in Memorial Day weekend.
I agree, user. They do have a solid game on offense and defense. As I noted earlier, I'm looking forward to seeing who else will emerge in '23. The Weeks sisters are both great assets on both ends of the field. Schleicher is huge in the circle and on D. Martello should be even more imposing. The season can't get here soon enough.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Medjid, Smith, Martello, Weeks and Davis are back. So they have to replace Nos. 7 and 8. Presumably the other Weeks and several Hasselbecks might fit in there. Either way, my point is that their offense will rely considerably more on movement of the ball and movement of the players off ball. They'll be good, and I expect them to get to Memorial Day weekend. But they will have a learning curve that they didn't really have the last two years.

Their defense is an ace in the hole (is Hall back? Or is it English's time now?). Who takes draws? Mallory? Smith?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:11 am
Medjid, Smith, Martello, Weeks and Davis are back. So they have to replace Nos. 7 and 8. Presumably the other Weeks and several Hasselbecks might fit in there. Either way, my point is that their offense will rely considerably more on movement of the ball and movement of the players off ball. They'll be good, and I expect them to get to Memorial Day weekend. But they will have a learning curve that they didn't really have the last two years.

Their defense is an ace in the hole (is Hall back? Or is it English's time now?). Who takes draws? Mallory? Smith?
Hall is back for a 5th year. That’s confirmed.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:11 am

Fair points, and if I recall correctly, BC did play the type of attack you're describing when they had their Big 3, or at least a similar type. I don't know how much of that attack was KT and how much was AWW, but I'm guessing it was a solid combination of both. I think they'll find their stride and they'll have a bit of a surprise factor on their side early in the season.
OuttaNowhereWregget

2023 Roster

Interesting to peruse, especially grouped by position.

https://bceagles.com/sports/womens-lacr ... t=position
OuttaNowhereWregget

Fall Ball ‘22

DMac

Post by DMac »

Meh, these games don't create any excitement.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:50 am Meh, these games don't create any excitement.
:lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:50 am Meh, these games don't create any excitement.
True for me—but there may be some BC fans for whom they do.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I enjoy Fall ball (in general, not BC). Maybe because for the last 10+ years, that is what I have done every Fall...go watch girls/women I appreciate play the game. Doesnt matter that it doesnt matter. A great time to get together with friends and watch athletes play for fun (and not records). That said, teams do get excited when playing rivals or top programs..that expands to parents/fans of the teams....so, yeah, you (and ONW) don't have to get excited and I get that...But for me, I am up at 5 am getting excited to go watch some Fall Lax.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:22 am
I enjoy Fall ball (in general, not BC). Maybe because for the last 10+ years, that is what I have done every Fall...go watch girls/women I appreciate play the game. Doesnt matter that it doesnt matter. A great time to get together with friends and watch athletes play for fun (and not records). That said, teams do get excited when playing rivals or top programs..that expands to parents/fans of the teams....so, yeah, you (and ONW) don't have to get excited and I get that...But for me, I am up at 5 am getting excited to go watch some Fall Lax.
Fall ball is a great time, particularly for players and parents. Getting to see & play against HS & club teammates you otherwise wouldn’t in season, the tailgates, the style of play and substitution, it’s definitely something unique to the spring sports. There is a lot of time for bonding amongst players and parents alike. I know fall sports have the spring but it gets broken up by the summer and doesn’t quite feel the same to me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dr., I love fall ball for all of the reasons you and w20 mention above. It is a very fun environment where the outcome of the game is meaningless but there is indeed a competitive spirit on the field. My real introduction to wlax was at fall ball "competition" at Cuse (outside) when I was invited by Ketch (so you can blame him for my coming over to the women's side here and being a pain in the asz) to go with him to watch it. There were 3 or 4 teams there...think it was Cornell, Cortland and maybe 1 other...I was blown away by the athletes I saw. You could stand right on the sidelines and watch the competition and that is when I developed an appreciation for the game, the game prior to that I couldn't watch for five minutes. I think the most eye opening part of the experience was watching the girls just screwing around on the sidelines with their sticks (much looser atmosphere than in season competition) just having a little fun playing catch and tossing the ball around. BTB passes and some mighty fine stickhandling going on there WHICH I DID NOT SEE ON THE FIELD. Now you see that kind of thing much more but back then you didn't. Unsurprisingly it was the Gait coached Cuse girls who were the best at this (you can't play catch with Gary for 30 seconds and not be influenced in this respect) but on the field you saw very little of that kind of stickwork and passing. When we were leaving I ended up walking side by side with one of the assistant coaches (tall blond) and told her I was blown away by the stickwork I had seen on the sidelines but wasn't all that much surprised by it given who the coach is. I asked her if we might expect to see more of that on the field in the future. I got a sly smirk but no answer.
I've always gone to watch mlax fall ball and love every minute of it. Enter the relatively new indoor facility built at Cuse where fans are not permitted to come in and watch, and color me bummed big time. I've been on a bit of a mission the last few days to find out if, when, and where the Cuse girls were playing fall ball as I've heard or seen nothing about it. I called Susie Mehringer, the Assistant Director of Athletic Communications, yesterday to see if I could find out anything about wlax fall ball. She said they had a couple of away games scheduled (I should have asked her v who but I didn't) but nothing here that is open to the public (I hate that indoor facility).
My comment was sarcasm and in response to a comment I had seen posted on another thread which I viewed as just ridiculous but not the least bit surprising considering the poster.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:32 am Dr., I love fall ball for all of the reasons you and w20 mention above. It is a very fun environment where the outcome of the game is meaningless but there is indeed a competitive spirit on the field. My real introduction to wlax was at fall ball "competition" at Cuse (outside) when I was invited by Ketch (so you can blame him for my coming over to the women's side here and being a pain in the asz) to go with him to watch it. There were 3 or 4 teams there...think it was Cornell, Cortland and maybe 1 other...I was blown away by the athletes I saw. You could stand right on the sidelines and watch the competition and that is when I developed an appreciation for the game, the game prior to that I couldn't watch for five minutes. I think the most eye opening part of the experience was watching the girls just screwing around on the sidelines with their sticks (much looser atmosphere than in season competition) just having a little fun playing catch and tossing the ball around. BTB passes and some mighty fine stickhandling going on there WHICH I DID NOT SEE ON THE FIELD. Now you see that kind of thing much more but back then you didn't. Unsurprisingly it was the Gait coached Cuse girls who were the best at this (you can't play catch with Gary for 30 seconds and not be influenced in this respect) but on the field you saw very little of that kind of stickwork and passing. When we were leaving I ended up walking side by side with one of the assistant coaches (tall blond) and told her I was blown away by the stickwork I had seen on the sidelines but wasn't all that much surprised by it given who the coach is. I asked her if we might expect to see more of that on the field in the future. I got a sly smirk but no answer.
I've always gone to watch mlax fall ball and love every minute of it. Enter the relatively new indoor facility built at Cuse where fans are not permitted to come in and watch, and color me bummed big time. I've been on a bit of a mission the last few days to find out if, when, and where the Cuse girls were playing fall ball as I've heard or seen nothing about it. I called Susie Mehringer, the Assistant Director of Athletic Communications, yesterday to see if I could find out anything about wlax fall ball. She said they had a couple of away games scheduled (I should have asked her v who but I didn't) but nothing here that is open to the public (I hate that indoor facility).
My comment was sarcasm and in response to a comment I had seen posted on another thread which I viewed as just ridiculous but not the least bit surprising considering the poster.
Ah sarcastica font.... :D

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”