All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:30 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:52 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:57 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:25 am
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:33 am ....but I won't believe it until I see it in a youtube comedy clip.
Right on!!!!! That is the only functional tool that TLD has for expressing himself.

:D
You may be the functional tool.

I can usually express my feelings TLD without the use of props being used as a crutch. You might want to try it some time? I don't even have a doctorate degree to try and hide my intellectual deficiencies. Maybe you have some Bugs Bunny cartoons in your repertoire of FLP camouflage to hide your actual intelligence?
Yes.

At least this old guy can still climb a ladder and clean his gutters. The old gray hare is still what he use to be. FTR what do you do when the gutters on your house overflow in the rain?? You join the Dr Wizard school and blame it on CC. To quote the aforementioned bugs bunny... WHAT A MAROON!!!
I watch TV or listen to my system. My home is graded properly. I have my gutters cleaned at least once a year. A lot of trees.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:12 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:33 am ....but I won't believe it until I see it in a youtube comedy clip.
Right on!!!!! That is the only functional tool that TLD has for expressing himself.

I can usually express my feelings TLD without the use of props being used as a crutch. You might want to try it some time? I don't even have a doctorate degree to try and hide my intellectual deficiencies. Maybe you have some Bugs Bunny cartoons in your repertoire of FLP camouflage to hide your actual intelligence?
Yes.

At least this old guy can still climb a ladder and clean his gutters. The old gray hare is still what he use to be. FTR what do you do when the gutters on your house overflow in the rain?? You join the Dr Wizard school and blame it on CC. To quote the aforementioned bugs bunny... WHAT A MAROON!!!
I watch TV or listen to my system. My home is graded properly. I have my gutters cleaned at least once a year. A lot of trees.
I clean and check my gutters myself about 6 times a year or more. There are still times a small amount of spinners and debris will clog the downspouts inside the gutters. I have witnessed several times what happens when clogged gutters meet a torrential downpour.
I have never once, through countless driving rainstorms had my gutters fail to take away the rainfall. My test is very simple and easy. I often check the outflow from the downspouts. Water coming in the gutter should match the water coming out. I must be lucky that CC has defied effecting my gutters to this point. I'm more concerned about my sump pump failing. I've been down that road before. 4 inches of water in the basement is a real buzz kill to wake up to. In the process of Installing a backup siphon pump so that won't happen again. Yes I'm going to do it myself, once my wife keeps reminding me about it.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:01 pm

Yes.

I clean and check my gutters myself about 6 times a year or more. There are still times a small amount of spinners and debris will clog the downspouts inside the gutters. I have witnessed several times what happens when clogged gutters meet a torrential downpour.
I have never once, through countless driving rainstorms had my gutters fail to take away the rainfall. My test is very simple and easy. I often check the outflow from the downspouts. Water coming in the gutter should match the water coming out. I must be lucky that CC has defied effecting my gutters to this point. I'm more concerned about my sump pump failing. I've been down that road before. 4 inches of water in the basement is a real buzz kill to wake up to. In the process of Installing a backup siphon pump so that won't happen again. Yes I'm going to do it myself, once my wife keeps reminding me about it.
Southern California has resolved these problems because (1) we have no rain; (2) we have no basements; and (3) we don’t have an Autumn fall of leaves.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:28 pm

Yes.

Southern California has resolved these problems because (1) we have no rain; (2) we have no basements; and (3) we don’t have an Autumn fall of leaves.

DocBarrister 8-)

Better get some of these small nuclear reactors ;) going and make and pump some fresh water...big part of the western US depending on it...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Yes.

DocBarrister 8-)
Have you figured out the pesky little catastrophic earthquake issue yet?? Are there contingency plans for Socal becoming an island.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:05 pm

Yes.

DocBarrister 8-)
Have you figured out the pesky little catastrophic earthquake issue yet?? Are there contingency plans for Socal becoming an island.
If Southern California becomes an island, that just means we become more exclusive and our property values will increase markedly. Win-win.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:52 pm

Yes.

DocBarrister 8-)

Better get some of these small nuclear reactors ;) going and make and pump some fresh water...big part of the western US depending on it...
We’re on it.

Latest plan is to build new nuclear power plants on the abandoned sites of old Sears and K-Mart stores.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:43 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:05 pm

Yes.

DocBarrister 8-)
If Southern California becomes an island, that just means we become more exclusive and our property values will increase markedly. Win-win.

DocBarrister 8-)
https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/capital ... ny/838953/

Big one in Upstate New York and it will become Mississippi.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

SourKrauts.
https://www.politico.eu/article/scholz- ... ussia-war/

...Scholz continues to face criticism over his hesitance to increase military support for Kyiv.

Ukraine’s recent swift battlefield advances have led to fresh calls on Germany and other Western allies to send more weapons, particularly tanks, to bolster Kyiv’s efforts to reconquer territories in the south and east occupied by Russian forces.

Germany is the world’s fifth-largest arms exporter, producing the renowned Leopard battle tank, and its defense industry also possesses large stockpiles of decommissioned Marder infantry fighting vehicles. But so far Berlin has refused to deliver those vehicles to Ukraine.

Kyiv’s frustration over Germany’s restraint was on public display Tuesday. “Disappointing signals from Germany while Ukraine needs Leopards and Marders now — to liberate people and save them from genocide,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba wrote on Twitter. “Not a single rational argument on why these weapons can not be supplied, only abstract fears and excuses. What is Berlin afraid of that Kyiv is not?”

Kuleba’s public scorn for the EU’s largest economy stood in stark contrast to the praise he gave to Estonia, one of the smallest countries in the bloc, which he thanked for its “outstanding support.”

Germany has delivered lighter weapons like anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles and grenades to Ukraine, and it has also supplied Kyiv with some heavier weapons, notably howitzers and anti-aircraft tanks. However, Scholz has repeatedly argued that he won’t deliver tanks as long as other allies are not sending similar Western tanks either, stressing that Berlin would not do any “solo runs.”

The U.S. Embassy to Germany appeared to counter that argument in a rare, direct tweet on Tuesday, suggesting Berlin did not have to wait for its allies when it comes to weapon deliveries to Ukraine and could decide on its own.

“We call upon all allies and partners to support Ukraine in its fight for its democratic sovereignty as much as possible … The decision over the type of [military] aid ultimately lies with each country,” the embassy’s tweet said.

Marie-Agnes Strack-Zimmermann, the chair of the German parliament’s defense committee and a staunch supporter of increasing military support for Ukraine, used the embassy’s tweet to make a fresh appeal to Scholz to ramp up weapons supplies.

“When it comes to the question of supplying tanks and heavy weapons to Ukraine, some sides like to point out defensively that we cannot go it alone without our partners. But our partners themselves are giving us the green light to finally go ahead ourselves,” said Strack-Zimmermann, whose liberal Free Democratic Party (FDP) is a junior member of Scholz’s Social Democrat-led coalition.

Scholz is expected to face fresh pressure from both the FDP and the Greens, the third member of the coalition, during a Cabinet meeting Wednesday. While it currently appears unlikely that the chancellor will agree to send tanks to Ukraine, some of his coalition partners say he should at least send armored vehicles for the safe transport of soldiers, such as the German “Dingo” or “Fox.”

Germany’s main opposition party, the center-right Christian Democratic Union, is also piling pressure on the government to do more, announcing on Tuesday that it will submit a parliamentary motion next week urging Scholz to step up arms deliveries. Unless Scholz makes a move, such a motion could attract support from within his own coalition, which could in turn jeopardize the government’s majority in parliament and its stability.

https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/08/ ... ukraine-2/

Spain Withdraws Offer to Send Leopard Tanks to Ukraine
AUGUST 4, 2022

The government of Spain has canceled a plan to send its German-made Leopard tanks to Ukraine to help the country defend against the ongoing Russian invasion.

During a visit to Kyiv earlier this year, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez offered to send at least 10 of the tanks to help repel Moscow’s advances in key Ukrainian regions.

However, the plan was put on hold recently due to the “complexity” of the process since German parliamentary approval was required.

Now, after conducting a technical review of the vehicles, Madrid has decided to cancel its planned donation to Kyiv.

Spanish Defence Minister Margarita Robles said the review found the Leopard tanks “close to useless” after being warehoused at the Casetas military base for several years.

She disclosed that the tanks are “in an absolutely deplorable state” and can only endanger the people operating them.

“We are today looking at all the possibilities, but I can already say that the Leopards in Zaragoza that have not been used for many years cannot be sent…” Robles told media reporters. “We can’t give them away because they would be a risk to the people.”
...as opposed to what the Poles are doing to supply & manufacture arms for Ukraine & fellow NATO nations.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/asia/sou ... index.html

Modern main battle tanks & tracked infantry fighting vehicles would be helpful in Ukraine's counteroffensive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Pressure should indeed increase.

Would hate being in Germany's shoes right now, but best path forward is to help Ukraine win, sooner rather than later.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Not to put the cart before the horse, but a post conflict plan needs to treat Russia as an eternal aggressor; and set upon them serious restrictions.

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-ukraine- ... es-it-end/

"And as in the Versailles pact, or the armistice in Korea, post-Ukraine negotiations should consider demilitarized zones. Belarus and Kaliningrad come to mind, as does the Black Sea. The principal focus should be on constraining Russia’s ability to invade its neighbors, and dealing with nuclear and missile issues separately. In these latter two cases, the Western allies should consider a “build-up-to-build-down” approach as did the Reagan administration with the Pershing II program."
DocBarrister

Putin is the New Leonid Brezhnev

Post by DocBarrister »

We all know that Putin is a beloved icon of the American far right, including some of our own forum members. They worshipped his illusory image of strength and power.

Since Putin began his failing invasion of Ukraine, Presidents Biden and Zelensky have been eating his lunch and smacking him around. Although Putin fancied himself a latter-day Peter the Great, turns out he is actually the reincarnation of the decrepit Leonid Brezhnev, whose ill-advised failed invasion of Afghanistan contributed to the downfall and dissolution of the USSR.

In invading Ukraine, McFaul sees Putin repeating the ill-fated maneuver of former Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev, who sought to conquer Afghanistan in 1980, only to end up mired in a long war that prefigured the U.S.S.R.’s dissolution.

“This is the end of Putinism,” McFaul said, though he cautioned it’s unclear when Putin will actually fall. McMaster, meanwhile, argued that no Western government should look to compel the warring parties to a compromise that could allow Putin to save face. “For Putin, any off-ramp is to look for the next on-ramp,” he said.

“A new reality has been created: The Ukrainians could win this war,” wrote the Atlantic’s Anne Applebaum. She added: “We must expect that a Ukrainian victory, and certainly a victory in Ukraine’s understanding of the term, also brings about the end of Putin’s regime.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -mcmaster/

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
admin
Site Admin

Re: Putin is the New Leonid Brezhnev

Post by admin »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:36 am We all know that Putin is a beloved icon of the American far right, including some of our own forum members. They worshipped his illusory image of strength and power...
Doc, you're straying into the realm of trolling...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

admin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:03 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:36 am We all know that Putin is a beloved icon of the American far right, including some of our own forum members. They worshipped his illusory image of strength and power...
Seems to me that the red is the "straying", as the rest is unfortunately quite true for many on the far, hard right, both here in the US and around the world.

HOWEVER, I don't think anyone currently on here, including those who pooh poohed the threat of Russian aggression, whether asymmetric or conventional, including those such who called concerns "Russophobia", or those who dismissed the Putin-Trump wink-wink alliance as immaterial and irrelevant, or those who attempted again and again and again to 'explain' Putin's and Russia's "historical" claims to empire, including Ukraine, actually considered Putin "beloved" nor did they 'worship' his 'strength and power'.

Of course, we've had a couple of very far right trolls come and go over time, so Doc might have been referring to one or more such, but if about our current posting participants, an inaccurate exaggeration. Which folks would understandably and righteously consider to be offensive.

Plenty to take issue with and debate without the exaggeration!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

There's plenty to discuss. Without theatrics and exaggeration.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:31 am There's plenty to discuss. Without theatrics and exaggeration.
Yup.

On this particular topic of Ukraine's momentum:

1) It's not time for a victory lap; there are likely to be setbacks and much loss of life going forward, as Biden called it: " a long slog ahead". That posture is most prudent.

2) Ukrainian morale received a major boost, deservedly, with reinforcement of the argument that they know why they are fighting and their earned expertise and experience in doing so is paying off.

3) The boost to Ukrainian morale is likely matched by the damage of Russian forces' morale, which apparently was already low. They don't know why they're fighting, and they're clearly much less well led in the field, and back in Moscow. The rapid loss of hard fought ground pierces any notion of superiority they might still have assumed and that has to be enormously unsettling to those actually doing the fighting.

4) The Ukrainians have been learning and now using, to very good effect, the long range targeting technology and intelligence capabilities the West has supplied. They remain way outgunned, but their targeting is much better, so more effective...and the further they can destroy supply lines, ammo dumps, artillery batteries, command and control, etc the more in disarray the Russians will be.

5) Europe especially, as well as the US, need to double down on effective weapons and other support to help this happen. Salty's posts about German tanks is right on point, though I think the more important thing continues to be long range, targeted weaponry. The Russian soldiers and senior staff need to feel unsafe in any part of Ukraine.

6) Politically, the West should fully support the complete expulsion of Russia from Ukraine.

7) The most desirable end game is most likely the overthrow of Putin. While the successor may be awful too, there is at least a chance of rapprochement and some turn to normalization of world trade, etc.

8) However, if Putin remains in power, the West should continue to prepare for a long 'Cold War' style slog.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

For instance, I think this posture is too conservative, though I understand the caution:

CNN

US officials broadly view Ukraine's recent momentum as evidence that the types of weapons and intelligence that the West has been providing to Ukraine in recent months has been effective. And some caution that it's too early to call Ukraine's rapid progress in recent days a turning point in the war, warning that Russia is far from a spent force militarily.

Officials do not believe the battlefield landscape has changed enough to warrant a dramatic strategy shift in the short term despite recent Ukrainian requests to lawmakers and the Pentagon for long-range missile systems and tanks, which they assert can help them sustain the push for longer and keep the territory they have regained.

But for now, at least, the US is still not inclined to provide Ukrainian forces with the long-range Army Tactical Missile Systems, also known as ATACMS, that they have been requesting for months, officials told CNN.

Some background: ATACMS have a range of up to 300 kilometers (around 185 miles). The administration still thinks providing those systems could be escalatory because they could be used to fire into Russia itself. Currently, the maximum range of US-provided weapons to Ukraine is around 49 miles.

"It's our assessment that they don't currently require ATACMS to service targets that are directly relevant to the current fight," Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Colin Kahl told reporters in late August.
Last week, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin intimated the US position hasn't shifted. "The HIMARS, using the GMLRS rockets, have been extraordinary in terms of enabling the Ukrainians to service the targets that they need to service inside of Ukraine," Austin said in Prague on Friday, making no mention of ATACMS.

Since the beginning of the conflict in February, the Biden administration has taken an incremental approach to providing arms to Ukraine — in some cases, later agreeing to send weapons that earlier in the conflict would have been deemed far too escalatory. Its calculus has largely been based on avoiding systems that might be seen by Russian President Vladimir Putin as too provocative, although those lines have moved over time and been criticized by some former officials as arbitrary.

Yes, these weapons could reach into Russia, and if deployed in certain places, deep into Russia. But there are still a lot of targets within Ukraine that aren't reachable with a 49 mile reach. And being able to stand off and yet strike the furthest reaches of occupied Ukraine would be very damaging to Russian morale and capabilities, given their present long range advantage.

Make all of Ukraine unsafe for Russian occupation, supply lines, etc.
Sooner the better.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:31 am There's plenty to discuss. Without theatrics and exaggeration.
What about that Biden thread title you ran a while back?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:18 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:31 am There's plenty to discuss. Without theatrics AND exaggeration.
What about that Biden thread title you ran a while back?

Unfit?

Creepy Uncle Joe?

Both opinions. Both backed by events, not exaggeration.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

admin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:03 am
I see we have someone on this forum who likes reporting their neighbors to the HOA. Always at least one in the neighborhood. ;)

Anyway ….

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”